ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

The obsession with stalling at Iowa is really bizarre. They actually view it as an integral part of their offensive strategy. Have to wonder how much practice time is wasted trying to get the other guy in a position to get a stall call instead of working on scoring points, escaping from bottom or scramble situations.

Agree. It is a deep rooted mindset. It is no coincidence that Gable's statue is a pose wanting a stall call. When Cael's statue goes up you know darn well that his pose is going to be asking for two for a takedown.

Totally agree.

I can appreciate getting frustrated when refs don't call stalling, but Iowa guys seem to pursue those calls through mat positioning (instead of actual scoring attempts) as a main offensive strategy. I guess if you can back a guy to the edge of the mat by tying up and pushing, it's an opportunity to score points with very little risk at being countered. It does, however, rely on the refs to award points instead of earning them by, you know, actually taking a guy down. It's kind of like the "Chuck it deep and hope for a pass interference call" play football teams use sometimes. It can work, but you're completely relying on the refs.

I thought the DeSanto Fix match was a great example of this. I guess DeSanto was the aggressor, he was moving forward in neutral more than Fix. But he wasn't actually attempting more takedowns. He wasn't really opening up any more than Fix. He was just tying up and pushing.

And the wrestler is even less likely to get a ref on his side by making his own stall calls.

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
Agree. It is a deep rooted mindset. It is no coincidence that Gable's statue is a pose wanting a stall call. When Cael's statue goes up you know darn well that his pose is going to be asking for two for a takedown.
I’m hoping Cael’s will be him sitting calmly in a chair, actually. If not that, then throwing said chair would be A OK too, lol. Though him hoisting Bo, arms outstretched would be fine as well.

Cael's statue may have him holding up 3 fingers wanting 3 for the takedown.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Though him hoisting Bo, arms outstretched would be fine as well.
With Bo holding pin chain?

ZCrtmlv.jpg

I would go for a statue of him slapping the mat for a fall (insert random hawk wrestler getting pinned)

or

Him hoisting a NC in the air (several of those to choose from)

Reactions: danoftw
I would go for a statue of him slapping the mat for a fall (insert random hawk wrestler getting pinned)

or

Him hoisting a NC in the air (several of those to choose from)
"Random"

Has Cael ever slapped the mat other than for Q's overhead standing cradle?

"Random"

Has Cael ever slapped the mat other than for Q's overhead standing cradle?
And Cael is actually embarrassed that he did that. Hates the picture about as much as he hates the picture of him facing the camera holding Bo - much prefers the angle where Bo is facing the camera.

Willie Saylor wrote an article about Fargo this summer that had a section on breakout stars for the girls. The article mentioned a girl from Cali who was not at Fargo because she was still in junior high but is elite (e.g., can go toe-to-toe with World Teamer and 2x Yarygin Champ, Tamyra Menseh at OTC). That girl is Amit Elor (pictured in the summary Tom posted). At Cali state, the frosh Elor won the state title going 5-0, all pins, all under 48 secs (0:15, 0:30, 0:17, 0:48, 0:29). Guess she is pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT