ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

No, but I did communicate for a living once. And the principle is the same.

You start with an idea and a feeling you want to communicate. What feeling was the designer of Bo’s logo trying to communicate? The logo gives the exact same feeling as did “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. A wistful, past-grandeur-has-been-lost feeling, most probably felt by old people, not young athletic boys. A Roman-Empire, Triumph-of-the-Will, Art-Deco feeling. Or, a precious preppie Little-Lord-Fauntleroy feeling. That would be fine if that’s what the designer was going for, but ...

And the silhouette of the logo ~is a huge SQUARE with baby angel wings on top. A dorky SQUARE! A square with wings. Let me tell you something: things with wings are not squares and are not cubes. And square logos are rare because squares are ugly.

And what’s with the interlocking delicate thread-like letters? Are we supposed to think of the arts of weaving and embroidery? I showed the logo to my 14-yo son without telling him it was a Bo Nickal logo, and my son asked, “what’s C-O-B?” because the logo at first glance spells out C-O-B. After I explained about “Bo”, my son said, “it would be a good logo for “C-O-B”.

Incongruity stacked on top of incongruity.

Bo’s logo is an abomination of design. I feel strongly about it. :)

791894.jpg

220px-Triumph_des_Willens_poster.jpg

ua-mk1-longsleeve-black.jpg

Wow, ok. I typically don't instinctively see these kinds of things. I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate; thanks!

Go to that depth? I didn't take his point as necessarily pejorative. Mid-century German military aesthetic (happy now?) is a particular look-feel identifiable to anyone in creative fields and there's nothing necessarily wrong with it per se, especially if you're, say, a heavy metal band. What fits in certain places doesn't fit in others.

If you find where I said "go to that depth", then congrats. I said "in depth". He made a super long take about a logo, I was joking around about that. Thought it was clear, maybe not.

Carry on with your lessons

Edit - Also, for someone who says about people "looking to be outraged", I kinda feel like you just did that.

Reactions: tikk10
If you find where I said "go to that depth", then congrats. I said "in depth". He made a super long take about a logo, I was joking around about that. Thought it was clear, maybe not.

Carry on with your lessons

Edit - Also, for someone who says about people "looking to be outraged", I kinda feel like you just did that.
You're right, I mistook what you said, I apologize. But I don't think my response is an example of anything resembling outrage. Just trying to make a small point that I don't think Dogwelder crossed any boundary lines. I get that art critiques don't typically break out on BWI but the points he made were fair.

Onward and UPWARD... Love, LOVE what Casey Cunningham brings to Penn State and DT's preparations for every major tournament DT will be involved with going forward. The chemistry... easily felt from afar and helping DT hopefully achieve further greatness in his International career.

We are blessed with this staff. Casey has young children yet spent his Easter in Argentina coaching.

You start with an idea and a feeling you want to communicate. What feeling was the designer of Bo’s logo trying to communicate? The logo gives the exact same feeling as did “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. A wistful, past-grandeur-has-been-lost feeling, most probably felt by old people, not young athletic boys. A Roman-Empire, Triumph-of-the-Will, Art-Deco feeling. Or, a precious preppie Little-Lord-Fauntleroy feeling. That would be fine if that’s what the designer was going for, but ...

And the silhouette of the logo ~is a huge SQUARE with baby angel wings on top. A dorky SQUARE! A square with wings. Let me tell you something: things with wings are not squares and are not cubes. And square logos are rare because squares are ugly.

And what’s with the interlocking delicate thread-like letters? Are we supposed to think of the arts of weaving and embroidery? I showed the logo to my 14-yo son without telling him it was a Bo Nickal logo, and my son asked, “what’s C-O-B?” because the logo at first glance spells out C-O-B. After I explained about “Bo”, my son said, “it would be a good logo for “C-O-B”.

791894.jpg

I think he went for a stylistically pared down tweak on the Bentley logo. I think it’s that simple.
d8bc61f4458bbf2801434598709b2f30.jpg

There are plenty of logos with wings. I just googled and looked at tons of them on google images. I found zero non-ironic/non-humorous ones with such puny undersized wings/oversized bodies as Bo’s. And I found zero ones with square bodies.

A good logo naturally elicits a good name. Spirit of Ecstasy, for example.

Bo’s logo inspires a name of:

“Cinderblock from Atlantis with puny Deco wings” :)

Edit: or:

“Flightless Cinderblock Turkey (Elvish Portrait of)” :)

Last edited:
There are plenty of logos with wings. I just googled and looked at tons of them on google images. I found zero non-ironic/non-humorous ones with such puny undersized wings/oversized bodies as Bo’s. And I found zero ones with square bodies.

A good logo naturally elicits a good name. Spirit of Ecstasy, for example.

Bo’s logo inspires a name of:

“Cinderblock from Atlantis with puny Deco wings” :)

Edit: or:

“Flightless Cinderblock Turkey (Elvish Portrait of)” :)

That's hideous.

I'm not familiar with the Pan-American awards nor can I read the inscription but from afar it looks like David brought his bronzed baby shoe to pay homage to his mother or David won the Hans Brinker skating award which at the level he is currently at, he could win any MVP for any sport he wanted.

The Pan Am Outstanding Wrestler gets a Trophy of a baby shoe on Skates. It has been that way since Bam Bam took Gold at wrestling and Speed Skating in the same year :)

Reactions: danoftw
May 6th is going to be a rough day for Drew Foster.
Yeah, kudos to him. I get why our guys didn’t do this (assuming it was Bo, Jason, & Anthony’s call), but BTS is a rad event, and it’s a pity the “champs vs seniors” concept only partially played out.

Yeah, kudos to him. I get why our guys didn’t do this (assuming it was Bo, Jason, & Anthony’s call), but BTS is a rad event, and it’s a pity the “champs vs seniors” concept only partially played out.

I never doubt those three, but, I'm slightly disappointed they won't be competing in this event. I'm positive they have their reasons, and I'm not questioning them. I'm just saying the event would be more fun/exciting with them competing.

Reactions: nerfstate

791894.jpg

My eyes! That logo! What 86-year-old roofer designed that logo?!? :eek:

1383.jpg
It reminded me of this
1280px-Van_Halen_logo.svg.png

Reactions: Dogwelder
I never doubt those three, but, I'm slightly disappointed they won't be competing in this event. I'm positive they have their reasons, and I'm not questioning them. I'm just saying the event would be more fun/exciting with them competing.

I don’t understand the timing of the event for domestic v. domestic concept. Right in between the Open and Team Trials and against a guy you are trying to wrestle a month or two later to compete for a world team spot? It would be like putting NWCA classic in between the conference tournament and nationals except in some cases the guy you are wrestling has a bye to the NCAA finals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT