ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

David can “tailor” a sponge suit for Bo. Only a SpongeBo can defeat J-den! :)
giphy.gif

Technically he'll have to drive outside Clark County for that ... or find a ranch with limo service.
I am sure if he calls Pitt athletics they will have a listed Craig's list phone number on file. I doubt in the list of things you need for the Pitt athletic office, the available hooker numbers are confined to Chicago and immediate surrounding areas.

Reactions: diggerpup
Do you work in design, dogwelder?
No, but I did communicate for a living once. And the principle is the same.

You start with an idea and a feeling you want to communicate. What feeling was the designer of Bo’s logo trying to communicate? The logo gives the exact same feeling as did “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. A wistful, past-grandeur-has-been-lost feeling, most probably felt by old people, not young athletic boys. A Roman-Empire, Triumph-of-the-Will, Art-Deco feeling. Or, a precious preppie Little-Lord-Fauntleroy feeling. That would be fine if that’s what the designer was going for, but ...

And the silhouette of the logo ~is a huge SQUARE with baby angel wings on top. A dorky SQUARE! A square with wings. Let me tell you something: things with wings are not squares and are not cubes. And square logos are rare because squares are ugly.

And what’s with the interlocking delicate thread-like letters? Are we supposed to think of the arts of weaving and embroidery? I showed the logo to my 14-yo son without telling him it was a Bo Nickal logo, and my son asked, “what’s C-O-B?” because the logo at first glance spells out C-O-B. After I explained about “Bo”, my son said, “it would be a good logo for “C-O-B”.

Incongruity stacked on top of incongruity.

Bo’s logo is an abomination of design. I feel strongly about it. :)

791894.jpg

220px-Triumph_des_Willens_poster.jpg

ua-mk1-longsleeve-black.jpg

Last edited:

You start with an idea and a feeling you want to communicate. What feeling was the designer of Bo’s logo trying to communicate? The logo gives the exact same feeling as did “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. A wistful, past-grandeur-has-been-lost feeling, most probably felt by old people, not young athletic boys. A Roman-Empire, Triumph-of-the-Will, Art-Deco feeling. Or, a precious preppie Little-Lord-Fauntleroy feeling. That would be fine if that’s what the designer was going for, but ...

And the silhouette of the logo ~is a huge SQUARE with baby angel wings on top. A dorky SQUARE! A square with wings. Let me tell you something: things with wings are not squares and are not cubes. And square logos are rare because squares are ugly.

And what’s with the interlocking delicate thread-like letters? Are we supposed to think of the arts of weaving and embroidery? I showed the logo to my 14-yo son without telling him it was a Bo Nickal logo, and my son asked, “what’s C-O-B?” because the logo at first glance spells out C-O-B. After I explained about “Bo”, my son said, “it would be a good logo for “C-O-B”.

791894.jpg

That's solid, fair analysis. The logo might grow on me because I like logos that break rules (e.g., Vancouver Canucks original logo), and there's something to be said against branding over-professionalization; there's an opportunity to set yourself apart with something a little more handmade looking. But still, I had to stare at this for a bit to even figure out that was B-O because the O is straining to be a D, 8, 0, or lowercase n. It's not a great start when your logo consisting of two letters can't be immediately read as those two letters. (Counterpoint: the Montreal Expos logo--one of the greatest logos in all of sports--is basically an "M" and people still don't realize that.)

Conceptually, the idea here appears to be, square off three otherwise roundish elements--B, O, Wings--and by going against type, the whole sum unifies. And that happens to some extent. But it still feels like a missed opportunity. I'd have worked with Bo's full name, either stylizing his signature or doing some graffiti-handwriting-ish take. Styling only 8 letters (depending on how they ) can result in something memorable like that looks like a logo.

791894.jpg

I am sure Bo and the Scrap Life team are sorry that they did not consult you first. I understand you do not like it, but to call it an abomination is silly. Bo and his team must be happy with it and that is all that matters. And why in the hell would you compare it with and post a picture with anything to do with Nazi Germany?

791894.jpg

I am sure Bo and the Scrap Life team are sorry that they did not consult you first. I understand you do not like it, but to call it an abomination is silly. Bo and his team must be happy with it and that is all that matters. And why in the hell would you compare it with and post a picture with anything to do with Nazi Germany?
He was making a point about aesthetics, not Nazi atrocities.

He was making a point about aesthetics, not Nazi atrocities.
I understand that, you understand that and people who actually read the entire post would understand that, but, we know that everybody doesn't read everything. Also, why go there when trying to make a point or to show examples of your thought process. Just irresponsible.

791894.jpg

If you get all of that from that, it's no wonder I failed art.

I understand that, you understand that and people who actually read the entire post would understand that, but, we know that everybody doesn't read everything. Also, why go there when trying to make a point or to show examples of your thought process. Just irresponsible.
I don't get how it's irresponsible. Irresponsible would be suggesting the allusion was something other than aesthetics. It get that people are looking for reasons to be outraged these days but it's not exactly fair to obligate writers for the ignorant interpretations of hypothetical people who couldn't be bothered to read what was written.

I don't get how it's irresponsible. Irresponsible would be suggesting the allusion was something other than aesthetics. It get that people are looking for reasons to be outraged these days but it's not exactly fair to obligate writers for the ignorant interpretations of hypothetical people who couldn't be bothered to read what was written.

I think I could make a case that Dogwelder was looking for reasons to be outraged to go that in depth with his take on that logo. Just kidding Dogwelder, but seriously, you must have been bored. :)

I think I could make a case that Dogwelder was looking for reasons to be outraged to go that in depth with his take on that logo. Just kidding Dogwelder, but seriously, you must have been bored. :)
Go to that depth? I didn't take his point as necessarily pejorative. Mid-century German military aesthetic (happy now?) is a particular look-feel identifiable to anyone in creative fields and there's nothing necessarily wrong with it per se, especially if you're, say, a heavy metal band. What fits in certain places doesn't fit in others.

Onward and UPWARD... Love, LOVE what Casey Cunningham brings to Penn State and DT's preparations for every major tournament DT will be involved with going forward. The chemistry... easily felt from afar and helping DT hopefully achieve further greatness in his International career.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT