Will Clifford play against Ohio State?

Will Clifford play against Ohio State?

• Yes

Votes: 156 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 57 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We'll know at 7:31 pm a week from Saturday.
That we will, however what I saw at Iowa, what he looked like exiting the stadium before the half and during the second half says significant shoulder injury. I don't think we'll see him until Michigan or Rutgers at the earliest but maybe the bowl game is more likely.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
That we will, however what I saw at Iowa, what he looked like exiting the stadium before the half and during the second half says significant shoulder injury. I don't think we'll see him until Michigan or Rutgers at the earliest but maybe the bowl game is more likely.
Whether or not we see him Oct 30 very much up in the air. But, he doesn’t have a shoulder injury.

He has his shoulder in his lower back? Weird.

Reactions: GoPennState97
Not saying your wrong but wouldn't a big should injury have required at least a sling. Numerous times during the second half of the game Clifford can be seen in "Surrender Cobra" position which would be almost impossible if the injury was a shoulder.

I say yes.

People a lot more connected than I am scheduled the game as prime time. I can't see anyone wanting to see PSU/OSU on primetime without Clifford.
They don't schedule a game for primetime (or not) based on one player's supposed availability.

I voted no. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. When player health is on the line Franklin/PSU tends to err on the cautious side.

Reactions: vops
I voted no. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. When player health is on the line Franklin/PSU tends to err on the cautious side.
Didn’t I read not too long ago that Franklin forces his guys to play injured. Are you telling me that some writer out there would post an article without proper research? I don’t believe it.

Not saying your wrong but wouldn't a big should injury have required at least a sling. Numerous times during the second half of the game Clifford can be seen in "Surrender Cobra" position which would be almost impossible if the injury was a shoulder.
I agree... I have had numerous separated shoulders (no dislocations though). And each time I had to keep my arm supported to keep from pulling down on the shoulder. I really think it was bruised ribs and his ability to play will depend upon how much he's healed and how much discomfort can he play with.

Reactions: SBuxton320
Yes. I’ve heard he is week to week, he probably won’t play against Illinois (Roberson better step up!), and that he is trending towards playing against Ohio State. I hate to say it but one of the main reasons they are not disclosing the injury is to prevent a future opponent from potentially favoring the injury in its game plan.

Reactions: ftlpsu
FB1zkPEWUAIqPud

Having had a few different shoulder injuries, no it wouldn't require a sling unless it was pretty severe, and if it were severe, he would have been ruled out for the season already.

An optimistic yes. I'm going to the Illinois game, but don't expect to see him even if he is ready, unless he's healthy and the backup can't move the ball at all against a mediocre defense (like Iowa is proving to be).

I hate to say it but one of the main reasons they are not disclosing the injury is to prevent a future opponent from potentially favoring the injury in its game plan.
Or because under CJF they never disclose any injuries, unless they are season ending. This isn't some sort of unique gamesmanship from the coaching staff. They aren't going to talk about it, as usual, and we'll all find out in 2 weeks.

Given the way the line has moved - opening at -17 and has moved to -24, I wouldn't be surprised to possibly see him this week. There is something very suspicious about the movement in the betting line for PSU, it clearly suggests that bettors are expecting Clifford to play - who knows how it happens, but there is always a way information like this leaks out. Again, not sure how they're getting the info, but it's pretty clear bettors are expecting Clifford to play (and many bettors often use "services" to inform their betting decisions - supposed inside information is the "money maker" for these "betting services".)... so who knows.

I agree... I have had numerous separated shoulders (no dislocations though). And each time I had to keep my arm supported to keep from pulling down on the shoulder. I really think it was bruised ribs and his ability to play will depend upon how much he's healed and how much discomfort can he play with.
Any semi-serious shoulder injury would have required a sling. I suspect ribs or low back problem.

He might even play against Illinois
If Clifford's issue was just bruised ribs PSU would have put a flack jacket on him and sent him back out vs Iowa. He would have even practiced last week without contact. He would definitely be practicing this week.

Maybe he'll be back vs OSU but I'm skeptical. I can't imagine he'll play vs Illinois.

I voted no on this poll, but if I put money on it, I would say yes.. My only concern is how quit it's been about him. It's almost feels like they are going to announce he is out for the year. No sighting of him, no mention of him.

I saw Clifford grab the right side of his lower back going through the tunnel. How exactly does that equate to a “significant shoulder injury”?

Reactions: tlbakernc
I voted no on this poll, but if I put money on it, I would say yes.. My only concern is how quit it's been about him. It's almost feels like they are going to announce he is out for the year. No sighting of him, no mention of him.
Gamesmanship for OSU. Forces OSU to gameplan for a Penn State team with a Clifford led offense and a Penn State team without an offense.

If Clifford's issue was just bruised ribs PSU would have put a flack jacket on him and sent him back out vs Iowa. He would have even practiced last week without contact. He would definitely be practicing this week.

Maybe he'll be back vs OSU but I'm skeptical. I can't imagine he'll play vs Illinois.

Does Iowa stadium have X-ray equipment? If they do, they can diagnose a break but would not be able to determine potential organ damage. See Ryan Keiser 2014 injury. You would need a CT scan to eliminate the possibility of internal damage. Rest is the only thing that will heal broken ribs. Doctors could give a local to kill pain so he could play. But you wouldn’t do that for practice.

Reactions: bdgan

Don't think so - that type of injury is very painful and would reduce his arm-strength (and accuracy) tremendously. Beyond that, Iowa probably doesn't have equipment in lookerroom which would allow Team Doctor to assess the severity of injury. Beyond all that, Gronk is a pretty big, tough guy (and pro locker rooms are fully equipped... earlier this year he tried going back in after injuring ribs and played exactly 1 play and was right back out. Then missed the next couple games.

Reactions: bdgan and ftlpsu
No way. Nope. Nah. Not a chance. Never.
Have I made myself clear?
Faith, Wallace.

Does Iowa stadium have X-ray equipment? If they do, they can diagnose a break but would not be able to determine potential organ damage. See Ryan Keiser 2014 injury. You would need a CT scan to eliminate the possibility of internal damage. Rest is the only thing that will heal broken ribs. Doctors could give a local to kill pain so he could play. But you wouldn’t do that for practice.
I'm thinking they might stay away from a local after this last year.

Reactions: tlbakernc
He has his shoulder in his lower back? Weird.

There wasn't much to see, but walking into the locker, he was indeed rubbing his lower back. Almost where the kidney is.

There wasn't much on the replay that tips you off. I thought it might have been his left arm / elbow / shoulder. No idea at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT