ADVERTISEMENT

Worst car you ever owned?

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
I had an early 60s Rambler in college- burned oil at a frightful rate and there were hills I had to take in first gear

I've loved every car I ever owned and getting rid of each always saddened me. The only thing that softened the regret was the joy of buying a new one. My favorite, and one I still own, is a 2004 RX-8.

Ford Galaxy. Every time the temperature approached freezing all the locks would freeze. Never bought another ford product for just that reason and never will.

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Van

sagging gas tank with bulge
Air conditioning odors
Wipers run with control in off position
Moldings fell off van
Latching on sliding door failed
Speedometer inaccurate

Orange early 60's corvair van. Step-father won it at a fireman's carnival. Could only get closer to the rear bumper of the car in front of you if you were sitting on it.

Early 70s VW Rabbit. First year they were out. There’s not enough space on Rivals.com for me to tell you about that piece off crap. Just thinking about it again is going to cause me to drink heavily tonight.

Used early 70s Honda Civic. Probably paid more in repairs than I paid for the piece of junk. I'm lucky the damn thing didn't kill me. So Lion Jim, I raise the virtual glass (or bottle) with you,
1%2B%25282%2529.jpg

80 something AMC Eagle. First car I ever owned. It wouldn’t go into reverse so I had to always parking facing a direction that I could just get in it and drive away. What a piece of crap!!

Had one as well, cruise control got stuck on the turnpike by Somerset, scary as hell!
Also, a 74 El Ranchero...

69 Mercury Cougar. Rust bucket. Got a flat on i77 in West Virginia and found out the spare rim was for a different car. My friend and I walked five miles with the spare and the flat to get them changed

In 2004 I foolishly bought a 1992 Rolls Royce from a “friend” of a friend in a stupid attempt to upgrade my driving profile. Which was odd because I never was much of an exotic car buff. Before I continue during my 2 hour test drive everything worked perfectly. What a nightmare it soon became, oil changes were $400.00. It kept shorting out while driving, and for about two weeks I thought I was a partner in every flat bed tow truck company in So. Fla. The electrical repair was $1,800. The car and I parted ways when the dealer wanted $6000 for a complete brake job which I refused. Thankfully I found a Rolls Royce groupie willing to buy it off me “as is” for what I paid for England’s finest.

Reactions: PSUfiji
1. 1990 Chevy Beretta. Stalled at every stop light/stop sign. Constantly hard shifting into out of gears. For some reason it also liked to go through alternators.

2. 2004 Toyota Sienna. Bulletproof 268,000 miles zero problems, but it was a minivan. I hated driving it.

I've loved every car I ever owned and getting rid of each always saddened me. The only thing that softened the regret was the joy of buying a new one. My favorite, and one I still own, is a 2004 RX-8.
Sadly you’re love is misplaced. Make a move from one of Mazda’s worst cars into their most special car:
q4w9gqg.jpg

Reactions: BBrown and PSUfiji
1981 (maybe 82) Dodge Omni. This was my first new car - and
it was an absolute disaster - nothing worked on it. Traded it in for a used 1978 International Scout that we drove for 10 years, until it totally rusted out. Loved my Scout!

Reactions: massimoManca II
1980 Chevy Citation. Thank god that I totaled it.
I had one of those in HS - that thing sounded a lot more impressive than it really was when you revved it up.

My worst car was an ‘85 Chevette 4speed....rear wheel drive on such a light car made driving in snow really eventful.

In 2004 I foolishly bought a 1992 Rolls Royce from a “friend” of a friend in a stupid attempt to upgrade my driving profile. Which was odd because I never was much of an exotic car buff. Before I continue during my 2 hour test drive everything worked perfectly. What a nightmare it soon became, oil changes were $400.00. It kept shorting out while driving, and for about two weeks I thought I was a partner in every flat bed tow truck company in So. Fla. The electrical repair was $1,800. The car and I parted ways when the dealer wanted $6000 for a complete brake job which I refused. Thankfully I found a Rolls Royce groupie willing to buy it off me “as is” for what I paid for England’s finest.

I don't understand the logic of some people on a budget. They will purchase a used car in an expensive brand that has depreciated considerably to an attractive price, but then forget the risks if a part goes bad.

The only used cars we've had date back to the 70s -- a Malibu and a Cutlass. Both cars were fine for their era. I particularly like the simplicity of the Cutlass in line 6-cylinder. You could actually work on that car.

But no more -- so many wires and electronics that it's impossible anymore. We have since paid the premium for new cars just to ensure that we know how the car was maintained. It's nice to drive something that wasn't pre-owned too.

We buy only cars with very high reliability. I always wanted to buy domestic to help Americans, but that ended at the turn of the century. We bought Saturns. Wanted to support a good domestic company, but then GM butchered them.

So now we are a Mazda family. Great performance and great reliability. I'd buy American if the quality is the same. It just isn't, and that is sad.

I think our currency will have to devalue before that changes. As it is, we just cannot compete. We put money into advertising and management while foreign companies put it into engineering. Still hoping that changes.

Reactions: Fizz1 and djr4rebs
1977 Plymouth Volare
My first new car.
Piece of junk.
Worst car EVER !!!
Traded it in on a new 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.
Perhaps my favorite car ever !!!

Mt second worst car was 62 Chevy Biscayne which I got from a relative in Buffalo. They weren't bad cars- straight six, three speed on the column- but it was a Buffalo car- the rust eventually killed it.

1996 Chrysler Town and Country Van

sagging gas tank with bulge
Air conditioning odors
Wipers run with control in off position
Moldings fell off van
Latching on sliding door failed
Speedometer inaccurate
Oh, you got one of the high performers ...

1977 Plymouth Volare
My first new car.
Piece of junk.
Worst car EVER !!!
Traded it in on a new 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.
Perhaps my favorite car ever !!!
My brother got a 77 Volare used and it was a piece of crap....maybe he got yours.

1986 Renault Alliance....horrible car. Bought it brand new and it still sucked.

Reactions: PSUfiji
I don't understand the logic of some people on a budget. They will purchase a used car in an expensive brand that has depreciated considerably to an attractive price, but then forget the risks if a part goes bad.

The only used cars we've had date back to the 70s -- a Malibu and a Cutlass. Both cars were fine for their era. I particularly like the simplicity of the Cutlass in line 6-cylinder. You could actually work on that car.

But no more -- so many wires and electronics that it's impossible anymore. We have since paid the premium for new cars just to ensure that we know how the car was maintained. It's nice to drive something that wasn't pre-owned too.

We buy only cars with very high reliability. I always wanted to buy domestic to help Americans, but that ended at the turn of the century. We bought Saturns. Wanted to support a good domestic company, but then GM butchered them.

So now we are a Mazda family. Great performance and great reliability. I'd buy American if the quality is the same. It just isn't, and that is sad.

I think our currency will have to devalue before that changes. As it is, we just cannot compete. We put money into advertising and management while foreign companies put it into engineering. Still hoping that changes.

Breaking News: GM and Ford sedans caught up with Honda & Toyota quite some time ago.... Even Chrysler had some traditional cars that did not pale vs. Honda and Toyota...

People who blindly open their wallets wider to buy Honda, Toyota, Subaru assuming they are getting a superior product are living in the past... that delta simply does not exist like it once did

Mid-eighties VW Jetta. It was great for a while and then out of the blue it would start bucking like a bronco. Let it sit for a few days and it go back to normal. The first episode was driving to the poconos at Christmas to propose to my wife. I had to pull into the best western on I81 atop the mountain at Hazleton. I ended up dumping it at the manheim auto auction.

The 7 is a great looking car, but my love for the 8 has not waned. I've only got 46K miles in 17 years and she still looks as good as the day I bought it. :)
How did you accumulate 46k in 17 years? As the President and Chairman of the Board of The International House of Drek, I thought that whenever you traveled by auto your driver used the limousine.

Reactions: fairgambit
How did you accumulate 46k in 17 years? As the President and Chairman of the Board of The International House of Drek, I thought that whenever you traveled by auto your driver used the limousine.
A good point. While Jenna, my lovely driver, transports me about in the Bentley, there are times when I must take to the open road on my own, to ponder the problems of the world. Since those problems are many, I have accumulated more miles than you might expect. ;)

BS ----- you recommended to me that the car I should get was that 1985 Lada made in Chernobyl ------ you said it would it would GLOW!!! Guess you were right!

Ha! I’ve had a close call... in 1993 I found my then-girlyfriend a low-mileage ‘87 Sterling 825s for $6k ... car was great... one of the best highway cruisers ever, beautifully appointed interior... reliable ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT