ADVERTISEMENT

WV Deer Season Report.

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
Yesterday marked the 1st day of WV gun season for Deer. Buck or Doe, limit one deer per day, two bucks and three does per season. Before you ask, yes, I once put together the vaunted '5-Pack' over the first 6 days of the season, including an 8 point on Thanksgiving Day. But my usual effort is far from these lofty heights.

As usual, my brother Paul Demlion, joined by my nephew Jesse Demlion, arrived over the weekend for the festivities. We were greeted yesterday morning by winds of 25 mph, gusting to 42. Hopes were dim for the first couple hours, then a 6 point apparently disoriented by the howling gales wandered out in front of Paul and was humanely punished with a single .308 150 grain . Monday evening at about 5 pm Jesse took an ill advised shot at a doe, which hustled out of sight leaving only a disturbingly large patch of white hair at the point of the shot. We hunted it in the dark for an hour until our flashlights gave out, and resolved to go back and look more thoroughly today.

Paul had to go home to NC at daylight today, and Jesse and I decided to sit until it was fully light in much better conditions before commencing the hunt for the deer he shot Monday. We only made it until 7 am when Jesse killed a big doe. We put her in the back of the pickup with the 6 point and set out to find his deer from the night before. Once we got to where the deer had entered a grove of pines, in the same place we had looked for an hour the night before, we found the deer in about 5 minutes. It was very dead and the carcass had been utterly torn apart by a black bear. Jesse had made a good shot and the deer died less than 75 yards from where it was standing when he shot it. Mr. Bear had ripped the midsection open and removed everything inside, eating most of it, including the liver, kidneys heart and lungs, then, for good measure, the brute bit off the right rear leg above the knee. The leg was nowhere around. Bit. the. femur. off. Damn.

I called a friend who is a bear hunter and he came over after work and sat until full dark watching the area where the carcass was, hoping to pound the bear when he came in to feed. It was a good thought, but no go. The fat bastard is probably up there right now gorging himself on the carcass. Did I mention all this took place < 500 yards from my house? I will never hear creaking boards on the deck outside with quite the same calm again.

The topper came tonight, when after 2 days of watching others score on my home field, I finally got my chance. At 5 pm, as the skies darkened around me, a nice healthy doe sneaked out of the woods less than 30 yards from my stand, so close I was afraid she would see me even though I was about 8 feet above her. She took her time getting out to me, and I was feeling a little rattled as she crossed in front of me. I was waiting so that I could raise my gun while from behind her so she would not see. I gazed through the scope only to find that it was still on 9 power from an hour earlier when I cranked it up to watch a pileated woodpecker from 50 yards away. At this point, all I had to do was lower the gun, reset the power to three, raise it again, and shoot her in the neck. Easy. Unfortunately, it seems I had become overly excited. I panicked, saw a brown blur of neck in the 9 power scope, and missed her totally. How far you ask? Well, I knew you would want to know. 19 steps on my stubby little legs. I am calling it 15 yards, max. I never shot at any deer closer in my life and it was a complete and total miss. She jogged away, tail wagging back and forth. It was one of the great chokes of my sporting life. It was my Bill Buckner moment.

The only saving grace is, it was a doe. Had it been an eight point buck I would be weeping too hard to write this this. Tomorrow I will be back out there. I had a Great Uncle who taught me a lot about hunting. He used to say, "keep shooting. They're in more danger than you are"

Yesterday marked the 1st day of WV gun season for Deer. Buck or Doe, limit one deer per day, two bucks and three does per season. Before you ask, yes, I once put together the vaunted '5-Pack' over the first 6 days of the season, including an 8 point on Thanksgiving Day. But my usual effort is far from these lofty heights.

As usual, my brother Paul Demlion, joined by my nephew Jesse Demlion, arrived over the weekend for the festivities. We were greeted yesterday morning by winds of 25 mph, gusting to 42. Hopes were dim for the first couple hours, then a 6 point apparently disoriented by the howling gales wandered out in front of Paul and was humanely punished with a single .308 150 grain . Monday evening at about 5 pm Jesse took an ill advised shot at a doe, which hustled out of sight leaving only a disturbingly large patch of white hair at the point of the shot. We hunted it in the dark for an hour until our flashlights gave out, and resolved to go back and look more thoroughly today.

Paul had to go home to NC at daylight today, and Jesse and I decided to sit until it was fully light in much better conditions before commencing the hunt for the deer he shot Monday. We only made it until 7 am when Jesse killed a big doe. We put her in the back of the pickup with the 6 point and set out to find his deer from the night before. Once we got to where the deer had entered a grove of pines, in the same place we had looked for an hour the night before, we found the deer in about 5 minutes. It was very dead and the carcass had been utterly torn apart by a black bear. Jesse had made a good shot and the deer died less than 75 yards from where it was standing when he shot it. Mr. Bear had ripped the midsection open and removed everything inside, eating most of it, including the liver, kidneys heart and lungs, then, for good measure, the brute bit off the right rear leg above the knee. The leg was nowhere around. Bit. the. femur. off. Damn.

I called a friend who is a bear hunter and he came over after work and sat until full dark watching the area where the carcass was, hoping to pound the bear when he came in to feed. It was a good thought, but no go. The fat bastard is probably up there right now gorging himself on the carcass. Did I mention all this took place < 500 yards from my house? I will never hear creaking boards on the deck outside with quite the same calm again.

The topper came tonight, when after 2 days of watching others score on my home field, I finally got my chance. At 5 pm, as the skies darkened around me, a nice healthy doe sneaked out of the woods less than 30 yards from my stand, so close I was afraid she would see me even though I was about 8 feet above her. She took her time getting out to me, and I was feeling a little rattled as she crossed in front of me. I was waiting so that I could raise my gun while from behind her so she would not see. I gazed through the scope only to find that it was still on 9 power from an hour earlier when I cranked it up to watch a pileated woodpecker from 50 yards away. At this point, all I had to do was lower the gun, reset the power to three, raise it again, and shoot her in the neck. Easy. Unfortunately, it seems I had become overly excited. I panicked, saw a brown blur of neck in the 9 power scope, and missed her totally. How far you ask? Well, I knew you would want to know. 19 steps on my stubby little legs. I am calling it 15 yards, max. I never shot at any deer closer in my life and it was a complete and total miss. She jogged away, tail wagging back and forth. It was one of the great chokes of my sporting life. It was my Bill Buckner moment.

The only saving grace is, it was a doe. Had it been an eight point buck I would be weeping too hard to write this this. Tomorrow I will be back out there. I had a Great Uncle who taught me a lot about hunting. He used to say, "keep shooting. They're in more danger than you are"
You can legally shoot five deer in West Virginia? And the populations remains stable? Mountain mama!

Great post. I enjoy reading your "longer" posts whether they involve hunting or boats.:)

One comment and one question (as a non - hunter)

C) I wish you had gotten the black bear. I hate those things

Q) Why do high winds hamper deer hunting? It would seem that winds would disperse the "Human scent", making the deer more vulnerable.

Regardless, it sounds like a great weekend with family. Happy T-Day to you and family.

Reactions: demlion

Great story. If it were an eight-point buck I'd be weeping, too. I'll be out Monday morning hoping for the best. Last time I'll be hunting in Bucks County. Landowner sold and settlement is Jan. 19. I need a new hunting home. Drat.

Great post. I enjoy reading your "longer" posts whether they involve hunting or boats.:)

One comment and one question (as a non - hunter)

C) I wish you had gotten the black bear. I hate those things

Q) Why do high winds hamper deer hunting? It would seem that winds would disperse the "Human scent", making the deer more vulnerable.

Regardless, it sounds like a great weekend with family. Happy T-Day to you and family.
High winds hamper deer hunting because deer rely upon spotting movement in still woods, smelling scent brought to them by gentle breezes or even up- or down-drafts cause by temp differentials, and hearing the noise that bigfooted humans make as they stumble around.

All of these sensitive detection methods are utterly useless when leaves, twigs and whole branches are flying through the air, the wind is stripping all scent from the air, and the wind is moaning and howling in the trees as branches crack and giant trees groan from rubbing against their neighbors.

All the deer's advantages are neutralized, and he hunkers down in a windless area. If I had free range over a thousand acres, and I knew it well, I could find those few brushy ravines to which they retreat when this shit starts, and we could have some REAL fun.

Oh yeah, one other thing--when the temp is 35 and the winds are gusting over forty, you will freeze your balls off sitting still. There is that. :)

You can legally shoot five deer in West Virginia? And the populations remains stable? Mountain mama!
Stable? Hell, they ought to INCREASE it. Highest per capita rate of car deer collisions in the US.

That was a fun read. Thanks. Took me back many years when I used to hunt with several of my own kinfolk.

Love it. People have no idea what fun they're missing. I hunt with friends and family all fall long (looooong season where I live) and I enjoy it immensely.

Oh see the deer.

Does the deer have any dough?

Certainly, two bucks!

I've never hunted in my life but I remember when I was little and living with my grandparents in Williamsport and my grandfather would return home with a deer tied to the top of his station wagon. Venison stew the next night for dinner.

dem, thanks for sharing!

I found it much easier to wrap up my hunting season with an 8 point while it was 65 degrees out!

Stable? Hell, they ought to INCREASE it. Highest per capita rate of car deer collisions in the US.

Same thing in Maryland - in the region surrounding the populated suburban areas, I can basically harvest unlimited doe with my bow. $10 more for the privilege of taking a 2nd buck.

Same thing in Maryland - in the region surrounding the populated suburban areas, I can basically harvest unlimited doe with my bow. $10 more for the privilege of taking a 2nd buck.
I have long been an advocate for a bounty...you have to check in a doe in order to earn a buck permit...but that is never going to happen.

I live in the 'city', there are somewhere between 4 and 10 come through my back yard every day!! There's a Buck with a beautiful rack on it that comes through as well.

We used to hunt the Monongahela NF near Elkins, WV. It was beautiful big woods country, but I only got 1 buck down there. Hunted bear here in Pa. this year and got a small 112 lb. critter. Got a buck in archery, but I'll be out with the family over the weekend and the beginning of the season next week.

I have long been an advocate for a bounty...you have to check in a doe in order to earn a buck permit...but that is never going to happen.

Allow me to clarify and expound - Maryland has a bit of a hybrid bounty program.

When buying your license, you can add a 2nd antlered bonus tag for $10, but in order to be able to use that stamp, you'd have to harvest that first buck and then an additional 2 doe. So to get that 2nd rack, you have to take 3 total prior.

Allow me to clarify and expound - Maryland has a bit of a hybrid bounty program.

When buying your license, you can add a 2nd antlered bonus tag for $10, but in order to be able to use that stamp, you'd have to harvest that first buck and then an additional 2 doe. So to get that 2nd rack, you have to take 3 total prior.
Cool. But of course it gets complex pretty quickly, and you would have to school up your agents who sell the licenses.

buck2016-2.jpg

Thanks for the GREAT story. I grew up in northeast PA. and have many memories of great hunts. Dad and my two brothers and lots of cousins going out to get meat. I do miss those times. Now I am out here in Iowa. I hunt alone and it's archery or black powder. I get lot's of pride in doing it alone, however, I miss the good old days. I got this guy archery hunting this year. About every 5 years a guy like this stumbles by me, otherwise does taste good & other bucks walk :)

Last edited:
buck2016-2.jpg

Thanks for the GREAT story. I grew up in northeast PA. and have many memories of great hunts. Dad and my two brothers and lots of cousins going out to get meat. I do miss those times. Now I am out here in Iowa. I hunt alone and it's archery or black powder. I get lot's of pride in doing it alone, however, I miss the good old days. I got this guy archery hunting this year. About every 5 years a guy like this stumbles by me, otherwise does taste good :

Damn. If I killed one like that, even with a gun, I think I'd have to quit. Nothing more to conquer.

Reactions: kgilbert78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT