ADVERTISEMENT

WVU and a summer of change.

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Found this while searching for a different article but thought it interesting. Written by a WVU beat writer but good discussion about college football.

Last edited:
Reactions: OKLionFan
How long until Penn State is advertising on their uniforms in order to generate more revenue?

“This is more for Wren than for me, but we have to figure out ways to generate more revenue,” he said, referring to athletic director Wren Baker. “We are going to have to do some things in our stadium — premium seating, suites, those kind of things.”

So, look for advertising on uniforms, advertising on the field, a commercial name on the Coliseum.

What impressed me most in this article is their Country Roads Trust……their official NIL conduit. It was founded by a guy named Ken Kendrick who is owner of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Don’t know how he made his money but it takes really deep pockets to buy in at that table. Also means he has huge connections in the sports world and can generate more donations.

Also says that John Chambers is a WVU alum and a Country Roads Trust principle. Chambers was the long running CEO of Cisco Systems and one of the most respected titans of industry in the country. Cisco is a Silicon Valley giant and this opens a huge amount of wallets.

A couple big hitters is key. I have no idea who leads up the Penn State NILs other than former athletes. Who in industry are our key people?

What impressed me most in this article is their Country Roads Trust……their official NIL conduit. It was founded by a guy named Ken Kendrick who is owner of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Don’t know how he made his money but it takes really deep pockets to buy in at that table. Also means he has huge connections in the sports world and can generate more donations.

Also says that John Chambers is a WVU alum and a Country Roads Trust principle. Chambers was the long running CEO of Cisco Systems and one of the most respected titans of industry in the country. Cisco is a Silicon Valley giant and this opens a huge amount of wallets.

A couple big hitters is key. I have no idea who leads up the Penn State NILs other than former athletes. Who in industry are our key people?
You bring up an interesting thought. There was a thread on PSU suffering NIL money because of alum suffering a loss of confidence in PSU. I was just wondering about the reverse of that. What of titans on industry turning their backs on PSU football fans based on the JS incident? What comes to mind is people like Ken Frazier who was CEO of Merck, and someone like Mark Dambly. And what of Pegula, who was a huge donor to Tom Corbett?

So I looked up Ken Kendrick. Started a company called Datatel which developed software for colleges and universities. Combined with another company then sold both for $3.5 billion. Founded a bank in Woodland Hills, a suburb of Houston. Woodforest National Bank, largest employee owned bank in country.

That’s a guy with lots of connections…..

Last edited:
Found this while searching for a different article but thought it interesting. Written by a WVU beat writer but good discussion about college football.

That was a good read. I’ve been impressed with Neal Brown. He seems like a pretty solid guy. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Isn't the Nike logo on the uniforms "advertising?"
It could go a lot further than the Nike swoosh. Especially, if there is perceived value in it.

GRAeKfwWUAEJDya

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT