ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday's head ref: Jerry McGinn...not of Big-10 lineage

Jerry

May 29, 2001
I stated early in the game thread yesterday that we were in luck in the Zebra Department. I recognized the head ref right away, though couldn't remember his name, as a guy who was hired into the conference from the East. He's officiated a number of our games over the years and done so in a fair manner in my opinion. Same thing yesterday.

I bring this up because I'm seeing some commentary this morning from other fan bases (naturally) and a couple media guys that we supposedly caught some breaks from the refs in yesterday's game. It's ironic because the unspoken premise appears to be hey, the rule is that Penn State gets screwed, not favored, and how dare those guys violate the rule!!

We did get a few close calls and non-calls that went our way. Two critical penalties on USC to negate big plays that would have set them up in easy scoring range and a couple non-calls on what some are insisting was DPI during USC's overtime possession.

We also had a close call go against us -- the OPI at the goal line. Regarding that one, I'm honestly not sure. It was close and boiled down to only one thing: whether our receiver was across the line of scrimmage when he caught the ball. I haven't seen a post-game replay and until I do, I don't feel comfortable taking a strong stand on the question.

Regardless, I have no complaints at all with the officiating yesterday. Hell, I wouldn't mind having Jerry McGinn and crew do all our games instead of just the one or so per year that they do.

We also had a close call go against us -- the OPI at the goal line. Regarding that one, I'm honestly not sure. It was close and boiled down to only one thing: whether our receiver was across the line of scrimmage when he caught the ball. I haven't seen a post-game replay and until I do, I don't feel comfortable taking a strong stand on the question.
Thought that was a terrible call because of how the play transpired. Looked like the receiver was trying to shed a block. Thought it could have been flagged a hold on the D. Let’s not forget, we lost 4 points on that call.

I stated early in the game thread yesterday that we were in luck in the Zebra Department. I recognized the head ref right away, though couldn't remember his name, as a guy who was hired into the conference from the East. He's officiated a number of our games over the years and done so in a fair manner in my opinion. Same thing yesterday.

I bring this up because I'm seeing some commentary this morning from other fan bases (naturally) and a couple media guys that we supposedly caught some breaks from the refs in yesterday's game. It's ironic because the unspoken premise appears to be hey, the rule is that Penn State gets screwed, not favored, and how dare those guys violate the rule!!

We did get a few close calls and non-calls that went our way. Two critical penalties on USC to negate big plays that would have set them up in easy scoring range and a couple non-calls on what some are insisting was DPI during USC's overtime possession.

Regardless, I have no complaints at all with the officiating yesterday. Hell, I wouldn't mind having Jerry McGinn and crew do all our games instead of just the one or so per year that they do.
SC ran that same play and did the same thing, later, for a TD and no call

Overall, I thought the referees let them play very physically in a defensive backfield for the entire game for both team teams. There was a passing interference against Warren late in the game that wasn’t called, for example.

The big holding call against the RB from USC saved a sack on the QB......no holding, we get a hit/sack on the QB. The RB holds and their QB completes a 40 yard pass. My blood pressure did not even move when the pass was completed because it was a hold that had to be called right at the feet of the QB.

If refs are going to allow defensive players to be physical with the receivers then the OPI can not be called. Warren was interfered with on the double pass touchdown and there was no flag.....which did not matter as he made a great catch.

The big holding call against the RB from USC saved a sack on the QB......no holding, we get a hit/sack on the QB. The RB holds and their QB completes a 40 yard pass. My blood pressure did not even move when the pass was completed because it was a hold that had to be called right at the feet of the QB.

If refs are going to allow defensive players to be physical with the receivers then the OPI can not be called. Warren was interfered with on the double pass touchdown and there was no flag.....which did not matter as he made a great catch.
Backjudge was shielded and didn’t see DPI

I would be interested to ask Carter how he felt the game was called since he held all day with no calls. As far as the DPI non calls, the most obvious one of the day was on Warren’s TD that they never called. It’s funny, I never see the experts talk about the calls where PSU gets screwed and loses the game.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Personally, I thought the officiating was fine overall.

We ended up with only 3 penalties for 25 yards. They got 5 for 60...and two of those were critical in negating big plays, one being a blatant hold/tackle of one of our rush guys.

Of course, what they don't call is as important as what they do.

We know two things about the way the game is played these days: A) holding could be called on practically every play; and B) there is a large amount of non-called contact in the defensive backfield.

All you can ask is that the refs apply the same standard to both teams. I thought they did yesterday...with an edge to us. And if we did get a break or two, I don't feel in the least bit guilty about it. We're still waaaay back on the short end of the stick in that department over the years.

Look, guys, Lando is laughing at me...so you know I'm right about this... ;)

Funniest whining to me was both Michigan and Ohio State fans bitching about the roughing call on Allar when the guy stumbled right into his back leg. That’s a flag all day every day.

Reactions: Jerry
Funniest whining to me was both Michigan and Ohio State fans bitching about the roughing call on Allar when the guy stumbled right into his back leg. That’s a flag all day every day.

Yeah, Michigan fans are positively outraged with McGinn and his crew..which tells you that McGinn and company must have been doing something right...and also that Michigan fans have zero sense of irony.

The "expert" said that shouldn't have been a flag because it wasn't "forceable" contact
Those fan bases complaining about that is the equivalent of our fan bases saying things are rigged for them--every fan base believes other good teams get every call
The officials were fine yesterday--every "questionable" call favored us which I'm fine with
Also, on the double pass--I fully believe we see a flag if Warren doesn't catch it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT