ADVERTISEMENT

You tube tv

brupsu

Aug 7, 2003
Does anybody subscribe to this?It includes btn which is nice.Is the app similar to sling tv?

I'm trying it out. It's a good deal for the price ($35 a month, first month free).

The strength is recording capabilities. You can save unlimited numbers of shows for 3 months I think.

The downside is -- it doesn't run through Roku or Amazon Fire, pretty much the only way to run it is on your computer or through a Chromecast device (though some people like this).

The other downside I've found is that playing recordings is not very responsive if you want to fast forward or skip around -- i.e. if you want to skip commercials you need to do a lot of this. So far YouTube TV is not as good as regular YouTube for skipping through videos.

Still, if you have access to ABC (say, basic cable) and you just want to add ESPN/BTN for football season, this would be a pretty economical way to do it.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
I'm trying it out. It's a good deal for the price ($35 a month, first month free).

The strength is recording capabilities. You can save unlimited numbers of shows for 3 months I think.

The downside is -- it doesn't run through Roku or Amazon Fire, pretty much the only way to run it is on your computer or through a Chromecast device (though some people like this).

The other downside I've found is that playing recordings is not very responsive if you want to fast forward or skip around -- i.e. if you want to skip commercials you need to do a lot of this. So far YouTube TV is not as good as regular YouTube for skipping through videos.

Still, if you have access to ABC (say, basic cable) and you just want to add ESPN/BTN for football season, this would be a pretty economical way to do it.

Thanks for posting this--was considering doing a trial and hadn't looked into it. I have a Roku stick, so I'll save myself the time.

I'm still waiting for Hulu Live TV to come to Roku. They did have a private channel but it's since been taken down for new users.

The thing is, is have you looked at what channels Penn State football is on this year and going forward? It ain't BTN (BTN is still valuable for other Penn State sports/programming) however, if goal is to solely watch Penn State games, BTN ain't gonna be of use. I know because I decided to take off the premium sports package on my cable this fall.

Edit: Of course, I am not including the GA St game, which of course negates my point.. however, I am going to a bachelor party on Sat barhopping, so I don't think BTN would've been of much use and will catch it out at bars.

The thing is, is have you looked at what channels Penn State football is on this year and going forward? It ain't BTN (BTN is still valuable for other Penn State sports/programming) however, if goal is to solely watch Penn State games, BTN ain't gonna be of use. I know because I decided to take off the premium sports package on my cable this fall.

Edit: Of course, I am not including the GA St game, which of course negates my point.. however, I am going to a bachelor party on Sat barhopping, so I don't think BTN would've been of much use and will catch it out at bars.

The better we are, the fewer BTN games we have. PSU/IOWA would've been a BTN night game a few years ago, but it's now ABC because we're #5. Akron on ABC vs BTN is another example. Hopefully it continues.

Thanks for the replies.I have sling tv orange and it covers ESPN,two and three with the cloud service.Disney blocks me from using the cloud service to record Psu games so that stinks.Weird I can record some games but not Psu.Some kind of regional thing I guess.I guess One of my mon
The better we are, the fewer BTN games we have. PSU/IOWA would've been a BTN night game a few years ago, but it's now ABC because we're #5. Akron on ABC vs BTN is another example. Hopefully it continues.
Thanks for the replies.You would think that Google would make this available to all devices not just a computer or chromecast

Last edited:

Correct -- that and the conference also signed a deal with FS1 (or Fox) and we have games that are already scheduled to be on there instead of BTN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT