ADVERTISEMENT

2 weeks from tomorrow. We find out?

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
- If this offense is Coach K's or CJF's "same Ole, same ole"
- If Allar has matured enough as a QB to make the difficult decisions and accurate passes at all levels of the field.
- If the WRs have actually improved and can get separation.
- If the OL veterans and newcomers look like a cohesive unit in their blocking & protections

- How much a difference the new DCs scheme will be from Diaz's and if they are more stout against the runs up the middle.
- If the new starters at CB are shutdown corners.
-Who gets trotted out to attempt FGs if required and are they accurate from 40 yds in.
What are you wanting to see?

- If Allar has matured enough as a QB to make the difficult decisions and accurate passes at all levels of the field.
- If the OL veterans and newcomers look like a cohesive unit in their blocking & protections

- How much a difference the new DCs scheme will be from Diaz's and if they are more stout against the runs up the middle.
-Who gets trotted out to attempt FGs if required and are they accurate from 40 yds in.
What is the starting five on the OL and who are the 3 starters at WR.

OL I wont make a guess at yet but WR I'll go with Fleming, Wallace and Clifford

Reactions: RickinDayton
can our corners cover WVs WRs in man coverage while the S and LBers keep Green from scrambling all over the field?

will the WR and QB be on the same page with "in-play" options and decisions?

Can the Offensive Line create holes?

WVU will come out with 7 in the box leaving 4 with primary coverage responsibility. The idea will be to dare PSU to throw deep (better we can't). The 7 play the run and underneath stuff. The 4 keeps anyone from getting behind them. They'll bet PSU can't sustain drives with 5 to 10 yard passes.

I am most interested to see the O's pre-snap movement and playcalling given certain player personnel packages. We've got ton's of flexibility with 2 QBs, three TEs, and two RBs. I can see a lot of formations and plays being called with three TEs and two RBs. With Drew at QB and Beau in motion. Four WR (one being Beau) and a RB. Five WRs. Two TEs, an RB and two WRs.

I hope you get the point that the player personnel packages are endless. We've got talent all over the field on offense and the D will not be able to key on tendencies based on the personnel package. AK has been very creative in prior lives. Will CJF give him that flexibility?

I think this is the most flexibility we've had on offense since we had Saquon, Trace, Sanders, Hamilton, Blacknall, and Gesicki on the same team.

can our corners cover WVs WRs in man coverage while the S and LBers keep Green from scrambling all over the field?

will the WR and QB be on the same page with "in-play" options and decisions?

Can the Offensive Line create holes?

WVU will come out with 7 in the box leaving 4 with primary coverage responsibility. The idea will be to dare PSU to throw deep (better we can't). The 7 play the run and underneath stuff. The 4 keeps anyone from getting behind them. They'll bet PSU can't sustain drives with 5 to 10 yard passes.

I am most interested to see the O's pre-snap movement and playcalling given certain player personnel packages. We've got ton's of flexibility with 2 QBs, three TEs, and two RBs. I can see a lot of formations and plays being called with three TEs and two RBs. With Drew at QB and Beau in motion. Four WR (one being Beau) and a RB. Five WRs. Two TEs, an RB and two WRs.

I hope you get the point that the player personnel packages are endless. We've got talent all over the field on offense and the D will not be able to key on tendencies based on the personnel package. AK has been very creative in prior lives. Will CJF give him that flexibility?

I think this is the most flexibility we've had on offense since we had Saquon, Trace, Sanders, Hamilton, Blacknall, and Gesicki on the same team.
Yeah, if I am WVU, or any opponent, I am completely loading the box and daring PSU to throw over the defense until Allar proves otherwise.

Yeah, if I am WVU, or any opponent, I am completely loading the box and daring PSU to throw over the defense until Allar proves otherwise.
I wouldn't put that on Allar. He has proven that he clearly can. The issue is a) if he is allowed to (play call) and b) if our WRs can get open then catch the ball.

Reactions: bison13
I wouldn't put that on Allar. He has proven that he clearly can. The issue is a) if he is allowed to (play call) and b) if our WRs can get open then catch the ball.
Agreed. We have to be willing to stretch the field early. That was my biggest frustration with MY is that he shortened the field from 100 yards to 10 yards with his playcalling. And the first time Pribula is in the game he must pass the ball to keep the defense off-balance.

Agreed. We have to be willing to stretch the field early. That was my biggest frustration with MY is that he shortened the field from 100 yards to 10 yards with his playcalling. And the first time Pribula is in the game he must pass the ball to keep the defense off-balance.
I agree. But part of CJF's decision has to be if he feels he can beat WVU straight up with our normal low-risk offense. With this being the first game with a new OC, away, and new fleet of WRs, I can understand the goal of being conservative. If we don't turn the ball over, we'll probably be fine. So I would expect us to be conservative in the first half. If we need to open it up in the second half, we will.

Reactions: bdroc and rcy4499
He started out with on time throws and looked confident. Don’t know why it changed. Coaching? Defenses figured out play calling routes?

He started out with on time throws and looked confident. Don’t know why it changed. Coaching? Defenses figured out play calling routes?
well, the OC was fired and we have an all new WR fleet.

I'm not expecting to learn a ton in the first game. We can out talent WVU so the coaches don't need to go crazy with the game plan and playcalling. With all new coordinators things will be added slowly as the season progresses, we aren't going to see it all right away. Things always change dramatically in terms of which teams stand above the rest once we get deeper into conference play, the nonconference games don't always tell the story. For example, seeing if the DTs can improve against the run and if we can impose our will in the run game won't really be known until we start playing the likes of USC, OSU and OU. Fortunately the schedule sets up nicely after WVU giving the new coordinators a lot of easier games to start instilling their ideas to prep for the tougher back half of the season.

When did he prove that? Not trying to be snarky at all...but I believe the WVU game was the only one he eclipsed 300 yds? and it wasn't until MD and MSU at the end of last year when the offense started to mesh better. Yes, the OC change had much to do with that.

But, we've all seen Drew's numbers of the deep throws, or stretch the field passing attempts (however you want to call it) highlighted everywhere (from BTN, to articles, etc), and they were flat out bad. No question, the WR group has to do its part, the OL, etc. Of course. They all do. However, he is the 5-star guy...with the NFL type body and arm. In no way shape or form, did he prove he can win a game passing and taking control last year. Hopefully 2024 is different.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I'm not expecting to learn a ton in the first game. We can out talent WVU so the coaches don't need to go crazy with the game plan and playcalling. With all new coordinators things will be added slowly as the season progresses, we aren't going to see it all right away. Things always change dramatically in terms of which teams stand above the rest once we get deeper into conference play, the nonconference games don't always tell the story. For example, seeing if the DTs can improve against the run and if we can impose our will in the run game won't really be known until we start playing the likes of USC, OSU and OU. Fortunately the schedule sets up nicely after WVU giving the new coordinators a lot of easier games to start instilling their ideas to prep for the tougher back half of the season.
This...I dont think we learn much against WVU either. We may truly know anything until Ohio State

When did he prove that? Not trying to be snarky at all...but I believe the WVU game was the only one he eclipsed 300 yds? and it wasn't until MD and MSU at the end of last year when the offense started to mesh better. Yes, the OC change had much to do with that.

But, we've all seen Drew's numbers of the deep throws, or stretch the field passing attempts (however you want to call it) highlighted everywhere (from BTN, to articles, etc), and they were flat out bad. No question, the WR group has to do its part, the OL, etc. Of course. They all do. However, he is the 5-star guy...with the NFL type body and arm. In no way shape or form, did he prove he can win a game passing and taking control last year. Hopefully 2024 is different.
I'm way more concerned about the receivers than Allar. I think Drew's just an easy scapegoat.

Reactions: baircub1!

Well, you are correct. And even if he was all-world in 2023, nobody knows about 2024. But looking back on 2023, the number of INTs was remarkably low, our WRs underperformed, and CJF couldn't wait until the end of the season to fire the OC. Drew Allar is not Penn State....the coaching staff and teammates have to perform. Nobody I've seen, who would know, has had any doubts about Drew's ability since the day he set foot on campus. So, yeah, can he be the problem in 2024? Sure. I think we've got a lot to overcome elsewhere before we get to "Drew's the problem".

Well, you are correct. And even if he was all-world in 2023, nobody knows about 2024. But looking back on 2023, the number of INTs was remarkably low, our WRs underperformed, and CJF couldn't wait until the end of the season to fire the OC. Drew Allar is not Penn State....the coaching staff and teammates have to perform. Nobody I've seen, who would know, has had any doubts about Drew's ability since the day he set foot on campus. So, yeah, can he be the problem in 2024? Sure. I think we've got a lot to overcome elsewhere before we get to "Drew's the problem".
I agree; no question. Drew isn't the problem by any means. But, he is a player on the list, probably high on everyone's list, who has to ascend for PSU to get to where they want to go. Ultimately, his right arm will dictate the offensive success or not. Even if we run the ball better (which was another disappointing area in 2023), he still has to make the open throws, and in some cases, throw someone open which he was not good at last season. He needs a ton of polish. The INT's, which JF loves to mention, to me was mostly a product of them babying him and being way overly cautious not to put the ball in harms way. The offensive coaching last season was embarrassing.

But, any OC who is worth their salt and high praise, can help to mask deficiencies and still have a balanced offense that is good enough to be in a position to win games. Let's hope Andy is that guy. We haven't won too many games in recent yrs because of our stellar OC work -- would be nice to change that.

I agree. But part of CJF's decision has to be if he feels he can beat WVU straight up with our normal low-risk offense. With this being the first game with a new OC, away, and new fleet of WRs, I can understand the goal of being conservative. If we don't turn the ball over, we'll probably be fine. So I would expect us to be conservative in the first half. If we need to open it up in the second half, we will.
That might be the gameplan but if it is it could give WVU confidence and their crowd stays vocal. I think PSU needs a TD on their first offensive possession to calm their crowd.

That might be the gameplan but if it is it could give WVU confidence and their crowd stays vocal. I think PSU needs a TD on their first offensive possession to calm their crowd.
Ideally, agree. Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face.

What is the starting five on the OL and who are the 3 starters at WR.

OL I wont make a guess at yet but WR I'll go with Fleming, Wallace and Clifford
Does anyone know if DT Mulbah, who transferred from PSU, is a projected starter for WVU?

Reactions: nickw79
My take is the O will be conservative the 1st qtr with one or two shots down field just to keep their D honest. But if our ground/short game isn’t scoring points we will open it up in the middle of the 2nd qtr as we can’t let either the crowd or their team gain confidence.

Waiting until halftime is too late, IMO. Wait that long and the entire game is a struggle.

On 3rd and short, do we pound the rock into the brick wall mass of humanity or do something different. I expect WVU to sell out stopping the run, we better have some other options besides that one. I expect the D to be stout in every way and WVU does not get to 21 points.

Does anyone know if DT Mulbah, who transferred from PSU, is a projected starter for WVU?

That's a July depth chart, August, and an article breaking down their DL.

Based on this and what @eer2000 posted, I would say Mulbah is either the starting NT or in line to be sharing time as a 1a/1b player.

Reactions: nickw79 and eer2000
On 3rd and short, do we pound the rock into the brick wall mass of humanity or do something different. I expect WVU to sell out stopping the run, we better have some other options besides that one. I expect the D to be stout in every way and WVU does not get to 21 points.
Every team is going to sell out to stop the run until we prove that's a bad strategy. That is based on last year's PSU team and will things will continue that way until we put something different on tape.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Another recent WVU depth chart that lists Mulbah as a starting DT for WVU....

Also interesting that Rodney Gallagher is not listed as a starter at WR. Gallagher was a top PSU target in the 2022 class but chose WVU which is much closer to his home somewhere around Uniontown I believe....

Some here believe WVU should be a layup for PSU. Maybe that's because they never attended a game at WVU, but WVU's home field advantage rivals that of a PSU White Out from my experience attending some games there........

Another recent WVU depth chart that lists Mulbah as a starting DT for WVU....

Also interesting that Rodney Gallagher is not listed as a starter at WR. Gallagher was a top PSU target in the 2022 class but chose WVU which is much closer to his home somewhere around Uniontown I believe....

Some here believe WVU should be a layup for PSU. Maybe that's because they never attended a game at WVU, but WVU's home field advantage rivals that of a PSU White Out from my experience attending some games there........

PSU struggled to put away Illinois and Northwestern last season on the road in what were de facto home games, so playing at WVU may be a significant issue. However, last season, WVU played a terrible Pitt team that barely could complete a pass at home at night and still struggled to win.

This game also is going to be at noon, which always diminishes the atmosphere. If PSU loses to WVU, and they very well could, I believe that the atmosphere will be way down on the list of reasons.

Also, if PSU is going to let the environment affect them in this game, then what chance will they have playing at USC and Camp Randall? Therefore, I would suggest that they "man-up" in this respect.

Last edited:
PSU struggled to put away Illinois and Northwestern last season on the road in what were de facto home games, so playing at WVU may be a significant issue. However, last season, WVU played a terrible Pitt team that barely could complete a pass at home at night and still struggled to win.

This game also is going to be at noon, which always diminishes the atmosphere. If PSU loses to WVU, and they very well could, I believe that the atmosphere will be way down on the list of reasons.
Yep. No layups for this team. Especially starting the season on the road against a quality opponent with a new OC and DC. I expect to win but lots can go wrong in that kind of environment.

Yep. No layups for this team. Especially starting the season on the road against a quality opponent with a new OC and DC. I expect to win but lots can go wrong in that kind of environment.
I equate this game with the Purdue game in 2022. That was an electric environment at night against a team that eventually qualified for the Big 10 Championship game and PSU found a way to win, and that Purdue team arguably was better than this WVU team, with a future NFL qb. Franklin almost always has his team ready to play pretty well in the first game.

Also, if PSU is going to let the environment affect them in this game, then what chance will they have playing at USC and Camp Randall? Therefore, I would suggest that they "man-up" in this respect.
Yep, WVU at noon is not WVU at 8:00 PM, but every seat will be filled as last I checked tickets were $300-$400+ on ticketmaster and stubhub. There will be plenty of crowd noise to give Allar some trouble changing plays at the LOS. And if PSU's offense comes out with some false starts and other mistakes attributable to poor communications it could allow WVU to take an early lead and make the game into a nail biter....

I don't believe USC draws particularly well and that atmosphere may not compare well at all as compared to Wisky. The Coliseum holds 77k+ and USC only drew 67k for Stanford and 72k for UCLA. Not sure how PSU will draw in comparison to their more traditional rivals.

Last edited:

The biggest thing for me is how the offense looks and specifically Allar and the WRs.

-Do we have a vertical passing game?

-Has Allar matured, settled down and more calm in the pocket? Can he easily go through progressions, make good decisions and make accurate throws in tight windows?

Is Fleming a legitimate #1 or Wallace? Do we have a slot possession guy?

Is the playcalling innovative?

Does Quinton Martin see the field??

I equate this game with the Purdue game in 2022. That was an electric environment at night against a team that eventually qualified for the Big 10 Championship game and PSU found a way to win, and that Purdue team arguably was better than this WVU team, with a future NFL qb. Franklin almost always has his team ready to play pretty well in the first game.
Good comparison.

Purdue came out with two guys that lit us up who weren't on tape. both of those guys went on to play in the NFL last year. I am talking about Aiden O'Connell and Iowa transfer Charlie Jones. Jones had 12 receptions for 153 yards. O'Connell was 30 for 59 and 365 yards passing and 0 Ints. They kind of came out of nowhere and PSU made some halftime adjustments to come back and win it. Not sure if WVU can capture that kind of lightning in a bottle but they are coming in much higher ranked than that Purdue team.

That's a July depth chart, August, and an article breaking down their DL.

Based on this and what @eer2000 posted, I would say Mulbah is either the starting NT or in line to be sharing time as a 1a/1b player.
Thank you for those links. He will definitely receive significant PT.

Reactions: lazydave841

Northwestern transfer fired up to play us.

Everyone is still giving WVU way too much credit.

They are our 3rd toughest game according to the FPI. The board would be boring if all of us were in line with "we're going to demolish WVU" simply because we don't have enough visitors to chime in.

I'm actually more amazed at the fans who are worried about Wisconsin. We're 8-2 over the last 10 games vs them. They shed their cloak of identity and are trying to modernize. Fickell isn't a proven P4 HC yet. All road games are tough.

USC is another. With Caleb Williams? Sure. Without? Riley gonna have to coach his butt off to have a winning record.

As long as the injury bug doesn't decimate us, this should be a really good team fighting OSU for greatness.

They are our 3rd toughest game according to the FPI. The board would be boring if all of us were in line with "we're going to demolish WVU" simply because we don't have enough visitors to chime in.

I'm actually more amazed at the fans who are worried about Wisconsin. We're 8-2 over the last 10 games vs them. They shed their cloak of identity and are trying to modernize. Fickell isn't a proven P4 HC yet. All road games are tough.

USC is another. With Caleb Williams? Sure. Without? Riley gonna have to coach his butt off to have a winning record.

As long as the injury bug doesn't decimate us, this should be a really good team fighting OSU for greatness.
I think WVU will be the toughest away game environment for this season. This game will provide great experience to leverage the rest of the season. We eventually pull away with a 10-14 point win, but it will be a really tough 1st half. I agree that USC will be a fair to mediocre team this season.

Third toughest game on a very weak schedule.
FPI shows very clearly the gap between us and WVU is huge (look at the projected win total) and even the gap between Penn State and everyone after Texas is huge. A half-game gap is huge. We're more than 3 games over WVU and even more than a full game over Bama.
Penn State should win without much concern (doesn't mean the opponent won't hang around) in every game other than Ohio State and potentially USC--we'll see where USC is when we actually play them.

Reactions: lazydave841

Van Dyke is a better qb than Greene and will make Wisconsin a tougher team to beat.

Van Dyke is a better qb than Greene and will make Wisconsin a tougher team to beat.
This I agree with. Van Dyke is actually accurate. If you're under 60% in your career in this era you're a joke. Greene hasn't sniffed 60% the past two seasons. Allar was 8% higher (without a decent WR) last year and people here are terrified about his ability but Greene's apparently elite lol

While that may be true, its probably a deeper issue than strictly QBs. Wisconsin has shed an identity and it's not guaranteed to be successful.

Last edited:
While that may be true, its probably a deeper issue than strictly QBs. Wisconsin has shed an identity and it's guaranteed to be successful.
I don't think WVU or Wisconsin are guaranteed anything this year. Both could easily go 6-6...both also have a schedule that could see them win 9 games without it really meaning anything.
Losing to either would be extremely disappointing and might, justifiably, keep us out of the playoff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT