ADVERTISEMENT

2 weeks from tomorrow. We find out?

I don't think WVU or Wisconsin are guaranteed anything this year. Both could easily go 6-6...both also have a schedule that could see them win 9 games without it really meaning anything.
Losing to either would be extremely disappointing and might, justifiably, keep us out of the playoff

Had to edit my post. NOT guaranteed. Vital word to that sentence.

Reactions: LandoComando
This is just like Maryland every year. Always hyped them Penn state blows them out. 49-9 all time. Penn state gets to 50
Even more lopsided.

43-3-1 is the series record.

The teams first played in 1917. Penn State has thoroughly dominated the series, leading 43–3–1, with their longest winning streak being 24 games from 1962 to 1988.[1]

- If this offense is Coach K's or CJF's "same Ole, same ole"
- If Allar has matured enough as a QB to make the difficult decisions and accurate passes at all levels of the field.
- If the WRs have actually improved and can get separation.
- If the OL veterans and newcomers look like a cohesive unit in their blocking & protections

- How much a difference the new DCs scheme will be from Diaz's and if they are more stout against the runs up the middle.
- If the new starters at CB are shutdown corners.
-Who gets trotted out to attempt FGs if required and are they accurate from 40 yds in.
What are you wanting to see?
When will we find out when the lots will open up??

Reactions: bison13
From collegefootballnews.com

West Virginia Preview 2024: Offense​

- Offensive line, offensive line, offensive line. Why did West Virginia start to turn it around last year? The O line was terrific. It allowed just ten sacks, the ground game finished third in the nation, and the team usually dominated the time of possession battle. Around LT Wyatt Milum and C Brandon Yates, the front five should be a force again for …

- The running backs - they’re going to shine. Smallish speed back Jaheim White turned into a find late in his freshman year - finishing with 842 yards and four scores - but it’s 6-2, 238-pound CJ Donaldson who’s the tone-setter. He’s a basher with 19 touchdown runs in his first two seasons, and …

- QB Garrett Greene can move. Leading receiver Devin Carter is gone, but the passing game should be good enough with Oklahoma State transfer Jaden Bray coming in and tight end Kole Taylor - who led the team with 35 catches - back. Greene ran for 772 yards and three scores, and as long as he’s keeping the mistakes to a minimum - he threw just four picks - the O will go.

West Virginia Preview 2024: Defense​

- Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. It came from everywhere. There wasn’t any one dangerous pass rusher, but the constant pressure - the D led the Big 12 in sacks - worked. There’s an underappreciated group of defensive tackles to work around, but it’s end Sean Martin who should be the standout leader as the season goes on.

- Leading tackler and top playmaker Lee Kpogba is done, but the linebacking corps has a good one in Ben Cutter in the middle with a few transfers helping to bolster the depth. This group’s job is to help get behind the line because …

- The defensive backs are all over the place. Six of the top nine tacklers were defensive backs, and it should be close to that again. The safety combination of Aubrey Burks and Anthony Wilson should be as good as any in the Big 12, and transfer corners TJ Crandall (Colorado State) and Ayden Garnes (Duquesne) fill in the gaps.

I think WVU will be the toughest away game environment for this season. This game will provide great experience to leverage the rest of the season. We eventually pull away with a 10-14 point win, but it will be a really tough 1st half. I agree that USC will be a fair to mediocre team this season.
USC is always a tough road trip. I'll hold all judgement until after the WVA game.

Toooooo many questions on how our team will play and how the coordinators will prepare for WVA. I'll be very concerned if we get down early to WVA not knowing what kind of team we have and is the leadership there for us to come from behind in a very tough environment. Color me concerned for a team with so many questions opening on the road yet AGAIN!

Opening on the road 8 SEASONS IN A ROW? Seriously? Yet none dare call it a conspiracy.

Last edited:
Starters are all different from most of last year
Fleming for KLS but what else except for a healthy Wallace? No Cephas but no new names.

I get the feeling that Fleming is only marginally better than KLS. A healthy Wallace should certainly help. My hope is that somebody like Evans will break out and that our new OC does a better job getting Singleton (or Martin?) on quick release passes.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
From collegefootballnews.com

West Virginia Preview 2024: Offense​

- Offensive line, offensive line, offensive line. Why did West Virginia start to turn it around last year? The O line was terrific. It allowed just ten sacks, the ground game finished third in the nation, and the team usually dominated the time of possession battle. Around LT Wyatt Milum and C Brandon Yates, the front five should be a force again for …

- The running backs - they’re going to shine. Smallish speed back Jaheim White turned into a find late in his freshman year - finishing with 842 yards and four scores - but it’s 6-2, 238-pound CJ Donaldson who’s the tone-setter. He’s a basher with 19 touchdown runs in his first two seasons, and …

- QB Garrett Greene can move. Leading receiver Devin Carter is gone, but the passing game should be good enough with Oklahoma State transfer Jaden Bray coming in and tight end Kole Taylor - who led the team with 35 catches - back. Greene ran for 772 yards and three scores, and as long as he’s keeping the mistakes to a minimum - he threw just four picks - the O will go.

West Virginia Preview 2024: Defense​

- Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. It came from everywhere. There wasn’t any one dangerous pass rusher, but the constant pressure - the D led the Big 12 in sacks - worked. There’s an underappreciated group of defensive tackles to work around, but it’s end Sean Martin who should be the standout leader as the season goes on.

- Leading tackler and top playmaker Lee Kpogba is done, but the linebacking corps has a good one in Ben Cutter in the middle with a few transfers helping to bolster the depth. This group’s job is to help get behind the line because …

- The defensive backs are all over the place. Six of the top nine tacklers were defensive backs, and it should be close to that again. The safety combination of Aubrey Burks and Anthony Wilson should be as good as any in the Big 12, and transfer corners TJ Crandall (Colorado State) and Ayden Garnes (Duquesne) fill in the gaps.

Last year they lost their two top linebackers to injury before the season started. Both are back and healthy so the D could be stout.

Reactions: nickw79 and bdgan
Last year they lost their two top linebackers to injury before the season started. Both are back and healthy so the D could be stout.
PSU only ran for 146 yds last year and this year could be similar. We lost 3 OL and WVa got 2 LBs back. PSU eventually coasted to victory because Allar had his best game of the season completing over 70% of his passes for 325 yds, 3 TD, and 0 INT.

IIRC we hit some crossing routes over the middle for big gains. I don't know how much of that was aided by WVa missing 2 LBs.

PSU only ran for 146 yds last year and this year could be similar. We lost 3 OL and WVa got 2 LBs back. PSU eventually coasted to victory because Allar had his best game of the season completing over 70% of his passes for 325 yds, 3 TD, and 0 INT.

IIRC we hit some crossing routes over the middle for big gains. I don't know how much of that was aided by WVa missing 2 LBs.
When the running attack consists of making a running back without a fullback run between the tackles against a loaded box, including your breakaway running back, why would you expect the running game to be good? I don’t think that we can underestimate how poorly the offense last season was schemed and how a player like Singleton totally was misused. If we see the same garbage this season, then the head man needs to go rather than another offensive coordinator.

I’ve said this before, but when BTN shows old PSU games, especially from the 80s, you can see that PSU’s rushing schemes were so good; it’s a thing of beauty for people who appreciate the intricacies of football.

When the running attack consists of making a running back without a fullback run between the tackles against a loaded box, including your breakaway running back, why would you expect the running game to be good? I don’t think that we can underestimate how poorly the offense last season was schemed and how a player like Singleton totally was misused. If we see the same garbage this season, then the head man needs to go rather than another offensive coordinator.

I’ve said this before, but when BTN shows old PSU games, especially from the 80s, you can see that PSU’s rushing schemes were so good; it’s a thing of beauty for people who appreciate the intricacies of football.
What are the biggest differences in rushing schemes between the two eras?

What are the biggest differences in rushing schemes between the two eras?
Well, we used a fullback, the qb was under center, there were cross buck plays, and it seemed as if the o-line had larger gaps and could create holes more easily by doing that. I don’t about you, but I’m frankly tired of seeing every offense at every level running the same offense where the qb never is under center and there’s only one back.

I re-watched last year game and whatever happened to number 11 WR ? He looked liked one of the best athletes on the field.

I'm not expecting to learn a ton in the first game. We can out talent WVU so the coaches don't need to go crazy with the game plan and playcalling. With all new coordinators things will be added slowly as the season progresses, we aren't going to see it all right away. Things always change dramatically in terms of which teams stand above the rest once we get deeper into conference play, the nonconference games don't always tell the story. For example, seeing if the DTs can improve against the run and if we can impose our will in the run game won't really be known until we start playing the likes of USC, OSU and OU. Fortunately the schedule sets up nicely after WVU giving the new coordinators a lot of easier games to start instilling their ideas to prep for the tougher back half of the season.
Many have said they think this will be a close game, so the coaching staff may very well have to open it up!

- If this offense is Coach K's or CJF's "same Ole, same ole"
- If Allar has matured enough as a QB to make the difficult decisions and accurate passes at all levels of the field.
- If the WRs have actually improved and can get separation.
- If the OL veterans and newcomers look like a cohesive unit in their blocking & protections

- How much a difference the new DCs scheme will be from Diaz's and if they are more stout against the runs up the middle.
- If the new starters at CB are shutdown corners.
-Who gets trotted out to attempt FGs if required and are they accurate from 40 yds in.
What are you wanting to see?

Can't wait.

It seems like you covered all the key questions, but the ones on O are most critical in my view. This is a big test for Drew and the new offense in a tough environment against a solid team that will be high as a kite.

I think it will be important to take control early. You don't want to go into the 2nd half in a dogfight with these guys.

We're favored by 10, which is a reasonable line. I think we win but am not brave enough to predict whether it will be easy or hard. I'll just be happy to get out of there with a W. God forbid we lose because that would precipitate the loudest fan meltdown of Franklin's tenure.

I re-watched last year game and whatever happened to number 11 WR ? He looked liked one of the best athletes on the field.

McClain. He dropped 2, maybe 3 passes vs Illinois and essentially vanished after that. Had a career high 4 rec 58 yards and a TD vs WVU.

He's at Arizona State now.

Reactions: PSU4U and Gitzit
Fleming for KLS but what else except for a healthy Wallace? No Cephas but no new names.

I get the feeling that Fleming is only marginally better than KLS. A healthy Wallace should certainly help. My hope is that somebody like Evans will break out and that our new OC does a better job getting Singleton (or Martin?) on quick release passes.
Well, if you are talking about the receiver sets, you already are talking about a 66.6% change. On top of that I think you’ll see more involvement from Clifford, Evans, Ivey and perhaps Denmark.

McClain. He dropped 2, maybe 3 passes vs Illinois and essentially vanished after that. Had a career high 4 rec 58 yards and a TD vs WVU.

He's at Arizona State now.
I was hopeful that he could put it together relative to catching the ball because he had everything else. Wasn't a fantastic route runner but plenty good enough. He just lacked concentration which sorely affected his consistency. I hope he makes the grade at ASU.

I don't think WVU or Wisconsin are guaranteed anything this year. Both could easily go 6-6...both also have a schedule that could see them win 9 games without it really meaning anything.
Losing to either would be extremely disappointing and might, justifiably, keep us out of the playoff
We shouldn't make the playoff if we can't beat WVU but that doesn't mean it is not a good test for us.

We shouldn't make the playoff if we can't beat WVU but that doesn't mean it is not a good test for us.
It's not a test. It's a typical weak Big XII team to start the season that's an easy win for most of the Bog Ten.
Stop trying to make our opponents better than they are falsely believing that makes us beating them more impressive.
We all know this has to be a win and that WVU isn't remotely close to us. Again, FPI has them winning less than 7 games. The gap on paper is ridiculous

It's not a test. It's a typical weak Big XII team to start the season that's an easy win for most of the Bog Ten.
Stop trying to make our opponents better than they are falsely believing that makes us beating them more impressive.
We all know this has to be a win and that WVU isn't remotely close to us. Again, FPI has them winning less than 7 games. The gap on paper is ridiculous
The betting line is 10 points. That's a pick 6 when our offense is in the red zone.

I think PSU will have a 1 score lead at half and win by 14 but that doesn't make it a gimme game. The oddsmakers and bettors obviously agree.

The betting line is 10 points. That's a pick 6 when our offense is in the red zone.

I think PSU will have a 1 score lead at half and win by 14 but that doesn't make it a gimme game. The oddsmakers and bettors obviously agree.
10 point spread on the road is an easy game. You all worry too much about "how much they win by"...there should be zero concern that we find a way to win this game.

Oddsmakers say ~9. I think they know more than your average armchair QB.

And that isn't a concerning spread.
Odds are set to split money...nothing else
Really? I did not know that lol!

If it were 20-30 points, that would be one thing. It might tighten to just abound 1 score.

WVU will be physical. Could be a problem. Element of surprise on Allar is gone. They now know he is no threat to throw down field. Last year, they may have bought into hype.

Should be a challenge.

Would nice if a wideout or three could step up.

Really? I did not know that lol!

If it were 20-30 points, that would be one thing. It might tighten to just abound 1 score.

WVU will be physical. Could be a problem. Element of surprise on Allar is gone. They now know he is no threat to throw down field. Last year, they may have bought into hype.

Should be a challenge.

Would nice if a wideout or three could step up.
Apparently you didn't know that based on your responses.
The line won't drop to 7 unless Allar is injured
WVU will not be a problem. Watch their game last year against OU.
We just have to show up. Our C game is plenty good enough.
You have to stop pretending WVU is good

If it were third or fourth game I would feel more comfortable. But with a new OC, a new DC, a new STC, replacing three O linemen that were drafted, a suspicious receiver corps, and a QB that needs to up his game…..makes this an ‘interesting ‘ game,

Reactions: PSU4U
If it were third or fourth game I would feel more comfortable. But with a new OC, a new DC, a new STC, replacing three O linemen that were drafted, a suspicious receiver corps, and a QB that needs to up his game…..makes this an ‘interesting ‘ game,
Because WVU doesn't have any issues heading into the season

Except this isn’t the’80s. Defenses are far better. Kids are bigger and faster. Linebackers run 4.5s now. Safeties are over 200 lbs and tackle like a tank.

You run an 80s offense and almost everyone is within five yards of the ball. No room to run.

Reactions: PSU4U
Except this isn’t the’80s. Defenses are far better. Kids are bigger and faster. Linebackers run 4.5s now. Safeties are over 200 lbs and tackle like a tank.

You run an 80s offense and almost everyone is within five yards of the ball. No room to run.
Michigan won a NC and three Big 10 Championships in the last three seasons by playing power football, like in the second half of last year’s PSU game against a top five defense when I don’t think that their qb, who was a number one draft choice, threw a single pass.

With that said, I don’t want to go back to our mid 80s style offense without much of a padding threat. All that I’m saying is that our running schemes have been designed poorly and has misused the talents of Singleton by making him run plays like he’s Jerome Bettis.

Michigan won a NC and three Big 10 Championships in the last three seasons by playing power football, like in the second half of last year’s PSU game against a top five defense when I don’t think that their qb, who was a number one draft choice, threw a single pass.

With that said, I don’t want to go back to our mid 80s style offense without much of a padding threat. All that I’m saying is that our running schemes have been designed poorly and has misused the talents of Singleton by making him run plays like he’s Jerome Bettis.
Singleton HAS to be able to run between the tackles

Today if you can't spread people out you get stuffed.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I am having a hard time putting that Chick Fila bowl behind me. I was there, albeit blackout drunk and we were missing many players, but that was a big letdown and I have lost confidence in this team until they prove otherwise. Still going to WVU game though. I know some of you feel the say way!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fayette_LION
Today if you can't spread people out you get stuffed.

cover10.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: jjw165
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT