ADVERTISEMENT

2 weeks from tomorrow. We find out?

Good thread (well, for the most part other than a random 8-year old Star Wars fan chiming in).

Here's some updates from the WVU side relevant to this thread...

- Mulbah is indeed pegged to either start or be 1B at the NT position. He came on as the year went on last year and has really impressed in camp.

- WVU's LBs are going to be much better this season, and a strength. Jeremiah Trotter is the MLB who missed all of 2023 and is now slotted to start in the middle. He is a big, fast kid with NFL pedigree. Tray Lathan was lost for the season last year during the TCU game, and he is back to full speed. He was WVU's best LB last year when he played, and he'll start at Weak side, and can slide to Middle.

- Whispers from Fall Camp that a 4-star WR true freshman named RicDarius Farmer will play - he's got wiggle and is very fast.

- The Garrett Greene you saw in Happy Valley last year is not the Garrett Greene who finished the year for WVU, and will not be the same Cat you see on August 31. He's much, much better, a lot more confident, and is less apt to take off if his first read isn't there.

- PSU did not face Jahiem White last year, WVU's now co-starting tailback (along with CJ Donaldson). White is a smaller dynamo type back, shifty and fast once he hits open field. Averaged 7.7 ypc last season, and also caught a couple TD passes on swing routes.

- WVU's obvious weakness is the secondary. I believe that both of WVU's starting corners will be transfers (one from Northwestern, one from Duquesne). A focus this Fall Camp has been dialing up the pass rush to give our corners less time to cover.

- Some sharps started putting money down on WVU earlier this week and moved the line to -8.5. Bellagio even had it at -8 from today. Big movement over the past few weeks.

- Yes, it's a noon kick and noon kicks do not carry the same level of inebriation as a 7:30pm kick. However, Morgantown is on fire for this game. The level of confidence in this WVU team is at a level I have not seen since 2018, and our fans are extremely excited to play Penn State at home for the first time since 1992. Fox will be broadcasting live from the tailgate scene, the lot will be filled at 7am, and the stands will be packed. It's going to be fun - I invite any PSU fan wandering through the Light Blue lot to stop by for a beer, Moonshine and pepperoni rolls.

Thanks, great input. The betting line caught my attention too.

West Virginia is a good team and will be boosted by a full house of crazy Mountaineer fans.

But we're not worried: Lando says the game is a lay-up.

Thanks, great input. The betting line caught my attention too.

West Virginia is a good team and will be boosted by a full house of crazy Mountaineer fans.

But we're not worried: Lando says the game is a lay-up.
Easy win as FPI says

Yes, we know you love negative attention, which is why you take silly, outrageous positions and will argue to the last breath, no matter how silly you appear.
I wonder if he’s calling for WVU to win 3 games again this year like he did last year after we beat them….and then stick with it all year long. You can’t fix stupid.

I wonder if he’s calling for WVU to win 3 games again this year like he did last year after we beat them….and then stick with it all year long. You can’t fix stupid.
You still can't accurately state what I said last year but I've accepted your stupidity

Good thread (well, for the most part other than a random 8-year old Star Wars fan chiming in).

Here's some updates from the WVU side relevant to this thread...

- Mulbah is indeed pegged to either start or be 1B at the NT position. He came on as the year went on last year and has really impressed in camp.

- WVU's LBs are going to be much better this season, and a strength. Jeremiah Trotter is the MLB who missed all of 2023 and is now slotted to start in the middle. He is a big, fast kid with NFL pedigree. Tray Lathan was lost for the season last year during the TCU game, and he is back to full speed. He was WVU's best LB last year when he played, and he'll start at Weak side, and can slide to Middle.

- Whispers from Fall Camp that a 4-star WR true freshman named RicDarius Farmer will play - he's got wiggle and is very fast.

- The Garrett Greene you saw in Happy Valley last year is not the Garrett Greene who finished the year for WVU, and will not be the same Cat you see on August 31. He's much, much better, a lot more confident, and is less apt to take off if his first read isn't there.

- PSU did not face Jahiem White last year, WVU's now co-starting tailback (along with CJ Donaldson). White is a smaller dynamo type back, shifty and fast once he hits open field. Averaged 7.7 ypc last season, and also caught a couple TD passes on swing routes.

- WVU's obvious weakness is the secondary. I believe that both of WVU's starting corners will be transfers (one from Northwestern, one from Duquesne). A focus this Fall Camp has been dialing up the pass rush to give our corners less time to cover.

- Some sharps started putting money down on WVU earlier this week and moved the line to -8.5. Bellagio even had it at -8 from today. Big movement over the past few weeks.

- Yes, it's a noon kick and noon kicks do not carry the same level of inebriation as a 7:30pm kick. However, Morgantown is on fire for this game. The level of confidence in this WVU team is at a level I have not seen since 2018, and our fans are extremely excited to play Penn State at home for the first time since 1992. Fox will be broadcasting live from the tailgate scene, the lot will be filled at 7am, and the stands will be packed. It's going to be fun - I invite any PSU fan wandering through the Light Blue lot to stop by for a beer, Moonshine and pepperoni rolls.
Why would you share some of this info?

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
You still can't accurately state what I said last year but I've accepted your stupidity

My recollection is that you said (in effect) that West Virginia sucked, that they were more likely to lose 5 of their first 6 games than to win 8 over the course of the season, and that their head coach was sure to be fired before the 2024 season.

None of these predictions aged well. In fact, West Virginia went on to win 9 games, including a blowout of Norh Carolina in their bowl game, and everyone in Morgantown seems high on Neal Brown whose job is not in jeopardy.

The point, Lando, is that you have a long track record of downgrading our opponents to make it seem like victories over them are meaningless. And you've started off this year in the same vein.

Screw the FPI. We have to beat West Virginia on the field. The reality is they're a good team this year just like they were a good team last year...and this is a challenging road game to start the season.

My recollection is that you said (in effect) that West Virginia sucked, that they were more likely to lose 5 of their first 6 games than to win 8 over the course of the season, and that their head coach was sure to be fired before the 2024 season.

None of these predictions aged well. In fact, West Virginia went on to win 9 games, including a blowout of Norh Carolina in their bowl game, and everyone in Morgantown seems high on Neal Brown whose job is not in jeopardy.

The point, Lando, is that you have a long track record of downgrading our opponents to make it seem like victories over them are meaningless. And you've started off this year in the same vein.

Screw the FPI. We have to beat West Virginia on the field. The reality is they're a good team this year just like they were a good team last year...and this is a challenging road game to start the season.
See the top part here is accurate but then you somehow decided to count a bowl victory and you're acting as though 8 wins with their schedule was impressesive. Who was their best win last year?

Neal Brown is still on the hot seat and, no, not everyone in Morgantown has changed their mind based on a mediocre season.

I'm not downgrading our opponents. I'm accepting us for what we are. FPI matters. It tells the whole story here. WVU is a mid tier, subpar Big XII team (Like last year when they lost to the only team in the top of the Big XII they played) while we're a top 8 team projected to win 11 games.

Like last year, if we okay our C game we win. If we okay our best game we dominate even if they play their best. If we lose, like when any elite team loses to a lesser team, it says more about us than them.

You are ready to accept our program as where it's at and desperately want to make others out to be better than they are trying to give us better wins instead of simply acknowledging we're beating everyone we should

Again, at 8-4 who was WVU's best win last year?

See the top part here is accurate but then you somehow decided to count a bowl victory and you're acting as though 8 wins with their schedule was impressesive. Who was their best win last year?

Neal Brown is still on the hot seat and, no, not everyone in Morgantown has changed their mind based on a mediocre season.

I'm not downgrading our opponents. I'm accepting us for what we are. FPI matters. It tells the whole story here. WVU is a mid tier, subpar Big XII team (Like last year when they lost to the only team in the top of the Big XII they played) while we're a top 8 team projected to win 11 games.

Like last year, if we okay our C game we win. If we okay our best game we dominate even if they play their best. If we lose, like when any elite team loses to a lesser team, it says more about us than them.

You are ready to accept our program as where it's at and desperately want to make others out to be better than they are trying to give us better wins instead of simply acknowledging we're beating everyone we should

Yikes ... I didn't know you had this obsession with being wrong since, at least, last year ... so I did a quick search ...

You were absolutely DESTROYED in that thread (and others before and after).

That you keep persisting in talking about WVU as if you know anything after egg after egg after egg kept getting splattered all over your face last year ...

Well, you're just a glutton for punishment. A negative attention troll whore.

Yikes ... I didn't know you had this obsession with being wrong since, at least, last year ... so I did a quick search ...

You were absolutely DESTROYED in that thread (and others before and after).

That you keep persisting in talking about WVU as if you know anything after egg after egg after egg kept getting splattered all over your face last year ...

Well, you're just a glutton for punishment. A negative attention troll whore.
Look at you owning your old screenname
Nothing in there destroyed me

Look at you owning your old screenname
Nothing in there destroyed me

Wait, wut? My old screenname? LOL .. oh, joy ... tell me who you now think I was?

I want to see you continue on your roll of being wrong ...

No, sparky ... I literally wasn't familiar with your past nonsense because I didn't follow this board much in the past, so I used the search function, typing in "WVU" by LandoCommando to see what everyone was referencing. And it was brutal for you.

Wait, wut? My old screenname? LOL .. oh, joy ... tell me who you now think I was?

I want to see you continue on your roll of being wrong ...

No, sparky ... I literally wasn't familiar with your past nonsense because I didn't follow this board much in the past, so I used the search function, typing in "WVU" by LandoCommando to see what everyone was referencing. And it was brutal for you.
I obvious
It wasn't brutal at all--WVU was mid at best

I obvious
It wasn't brutal at all--WVU was mid at best

"I obvious"? Who is that? Come on, kid. Tell us.

And it was BRUTAL. Still is. It was brutal when I just knew about your rantings and ravings this year ... but after seeing last year's shenanigans. It's BRUTAL.

We all know who you were--it's in countless threads
Not brutal--who was WVU's best win last year?

Come on ... tell us, according to your powers of deduction, who I was in that thread.

Granted, I've been no one else but PurposePitch since I joined in January of 2023 ... but I want to see where your failed powers of deduction have led you ...

BRU. TAL. You were so wrong, but rather than learn your lesson, you only admitted you were superficially wrong, but kept on with your failed argument.

Winning 9 games (contrary to your prediction) as a P4 conference member is the mark of a good team by any measure. Whether such a season could be considered successful would depend on expectations and potential coming in.

Given that the Mountaineers had been picked to finish last in the B-12 before the 2023 season, their 9 wins greatly exceeded the predictions of the "experts," which is why Neal Brown's contract was extended through 2027.

Yeah, some fans are still not convinced, but there's a lot of excitement in the air in Morgantown, and besides, you'll never please every fan regardless. The point is, no, Neal Brown is not on the hot seat...or else his contract would not have been extended...nor was he fired as you also predicted.

I see this as a challenging game for various reasons. I think we'll win, but it wouldn't be a surprise if it were competitive the whole way. Then again, it also wouldn't be a shock if we were to end up pulling away. One thing for sure: going in there with your "lay-up" attitude would be a recipe for disaster.

By the way, a lot of money has been coming in on West Virginia, which is why the line has moved downward...now in the range of 8.5. Granted, this factor is no more meaningful in deciding the outcome than your FPI, but it does suggest that most people see this game as anything but a lay-up.

Finally, you're wrong about my attitude. I've never been either a cheerleader or a nay-sayer. I don't have to pump up West Virginia's credentials. Their record last year, their talent this year, and the circumstances surrounding this game are more than enough to understand that a victory next Saturday would count as a good win against a good team.

Winning 9 games (contrary to your prediction) as a P4 conference member is the mark of a good team by any measure. Whether such a season could be considered successful would depend on expectations and potential coming in.

Given that the Mountaineers had been picked to finish last in the B-12 before the 2023 season, their 9 wins greatly exceeded the predictions of the "experts," which is why Neal Brown's contract was extended through 2027.

Yeah, some fans are still not convinced, but there's a lot of excitement in the air in Morgantown, and besides, you'll never please every fan regardless. The point is, no, Neal Brown is not on the hot seat...or else his contract would not have been extended...nor was he fired as you also predicted.

I see this as a challenging game for various reasons. I think we'll win, but it wouldn't be a surprise if it were competitive the whole way. Then again, it also wouldn't be a shock if we were to end up pulling away. One thing for sure: going in there with your "lay-up" attitude would be a recipe for disaster.

By the way, a lot of money has been coming in on West Virginia, which is why the line has moved downward...now in the range of 8.5. Granted, this factor is no more meaningful in deciding the outcome than your FPI, but it does suggest that most people see this game as anything but a lay-up.

Finally, you're wrong about my attitude. I've never been either a cheerleader or a nay-sayer. I don't have to pump up West Virginia's credentials. Their record last year, their talent this year, and the circumstances surrounding this game are more than enough to understand that a victory next Saturday would count as a good win against a good team.
8 wins and it's not a measure of a good team. Did Maye play in the bowl game? Of course not, them beating UNC meant nothing--nothing us losing our bowl game meant nothing. Again--what was their best win? Answer the question...
What team doesn't have "excitement" heading into a new season? Usually its misguided.
It's not a challenging game--see last year--if we show up and play our C game we win
That's saying betters believe WVU can cover--they aren't putting it on the money line. We could win by 3 or 4 but we win this game
If you believe I'm wrong about your attitude (outlook) answer my question--who was their best win last year? Or--better yet--who did they beat on our level that's causing you any concern
We are expected to win next Saturday--and the season will determine if it was a decent win, a good win or a great win or just a win over a mid-tier Big XII team that means nothing other than it's a win.
You all think way too many teams are "good"--there's only about 15-20 good teams each year. Watch them last year against Ok State who was destroyed by South Alabama. Just watch instead of looking at a record.

8 wins and it's not a measure of a good team. Did Maye play in the bowl game? Of course not, them beating UNC meant nothing--nothing us losing our bowl game meant nothing. Again--what was their best win? Answer the question...
What team doesn't have "excitement" heading into a new season? Usually its misguided.
It's not a challenging game--see last year--if we show up and play our C game we win
That's saying betters believe WVU can cover--they aren't putting it on the money line. We could win by 3 or 4 but we win this game
If you believe I'm wrong about your attitude (outlook) answer my question--who was their best win last year? Or--better yet--who did they beat on our level that's causing you any concern
We are expected to win next Saturday--and the season will determine if it was a decent win, a good win or a great win or just a win over a mid-tier Big XII team that means nothing other than it's a win.
You all think way too many teams are "good"--there's only about 15-20 good teams each year. Watch them last year against Ok State who was destroyed by South Alabama. Just watch instead of looking at a record.
9 wins. What happened happened.

And stop with these arbitrary attempts to pick apart, and build up, certain teams. "How'd they do against Team X? What was their best win?" and on and on. Last year you thought they were a crap team who couldn't win even a handful of games. You didn't say they'd win a lot of games but they'd be against crap teams. You change your supporting evidence to fit a preexisting narrative. Suddenly FPI is controlling. Until it isn't.

And, yeah, if we win by 3 or 4 points, it was DEFINITELY a challenging game.

You are just arguing for attention at this point.

Reactions: MacNit2.0

And stop with these arbitrary attempts to pick apart, and build up, certain teams. "How'd they do against Team X? What was their best win?" and on and on. Last year you thought they were a crap team who couldn't win even a handful of games. You didn't say they'd win a lot of games but they'd be against crap teams. You change your supporting evidence to fit a preexisting narrative. Suddenly FPI is controlling. Until it isn't.

And, yeah, if we win by 3 or 4 points, it was DEFINITELY a challenging game.

You are just arguing for attention at this point.
8 wins
Those things matter
FPI has been controlling since it existed
All I've said is we win--I don't care if it's by 1-3--look at our "close" games last year and who was calm and who was freaking out

8 wins
Those things matter
FPI has been controlling since it existed
All I've said is we win--I don't care if it's by 1-3--look at our "close" games last year and who was calm and who was freaking out

2023 Football Schedule​

Season Records

• Overall
    9-4
  • Overall PCT
  • Conf

--------------------------------------------------

FPI’s accuracy

Over the last 10 seasons, the FPI favorite has won 75 percent of FBS-versus-FBS games, which is comparable to the Vegas closing line.

Yet, allegedly, no one cares about the Vegas line and the FPI is controlling.

---------------------------------------------------

You claimed it won't be a challenging game, and then claimed you don't care if we win by 3-5 points ... now 1-3 points.

Again, you've either flatlined, or you're just arguing for attention ... because a 5 point game is MOST DEFINITELY a challenging game.

I'm still waiting for that logical syllogism, kid ... and now for the big reveal of who you mistakenly think I was in that thread I linked to.

Last edited:

2023 Football Schedule​

Season Records

• Overall
    9-4
  • Overall PCT
  • Conf

--------------------------------------------------

FPI’s accuracy

Over the last 10 seasons, the FPI favorite has won 75 percent of FBS-versus-FBS games, which is comparable to the Vegas closing line.

Yet, allegedly, no one cares about the Vegas line and the FPI is controlling.

You claimed it won't be a challenging game, and then claimed you don't care if we win by 3-5 points ... now 1-3 points.

Again, you've either flatlined, or you're just arguing for attention ... because a 5 point game is MOST DEFINITELY a challenging game.

I'm still waiting for that logical syllogism, kid ... and now for the big reveal of who you mistakenly think I was in that post I linked to.
8 wins

LOL - I actually was going to type these exact words after I mentioned our true frosh WR, but left it unsaid. It's very true, but we'll see. Last year we were told Rodney Gallagher would play a big role at Penn State, and he didn't log a single snap on offense.
..... It's going to be interesting to see how WVU will use him in 2024. I know he was on PSU's recruiting radar for a while...
Gallagher reportedly was a top target for PSU the whole cycle, even after he committed to WVU. Seemed to be PSU's top target at slot WR. But with the lack of success that PSU has had lately in identifying ready to play WR talent it doesn't surprise us that Gallagher is not lighting it up at WR for WVU.......

Reactions: eer2000
For whatever it’s worth, if we’re not on the wrong end of a once in a generation Hail Mary conversion, we would have reached the magical number of 9 regular season wins to validate our “goodness”.

I think I'm making progress with Lando. He's dialing down the "lay-up" talk and is now content to predict a simple W...maybe even close: "We could win by 3 or 4 but we win this game."

Meanwhile, in the Florida State/Georgia Tech result, we see the value of the FPI indicator. It's an old story: the games are won by the players on the field, not by statisticians with their paper computations.

Reactions: GSPMax and bison13

#LandoLogic from this thread:

1. You can win by 1 in a non-competitive game.
2. FPI matters, Vegas spreads do not, even though the creators and administrators of FPI claim it has an equal rate of predictive success as Vegas spreads.
3. FPI is the all-telling oracle, and counts bowl wins and losses, but bowl wins and losses don't count
4. Whatever happened happened, and you can't change that ... unless you don't want it to have happened. Then it didn't (like wins and losses).
5. He knows exactly who I am from a previous thread, but he's not telling ... and I was never in that thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSPMax
#LandoLogic from this thread:

1. You can win by 1 in a non-competitive game.
2. FPI matters, Vegas spread do not, even though the creators and administrators of FPI claim it has an equal rate of predictive success as Vegas spreads.
3. FPI is the all-telling oracle, and counts bowl wins and losses, but bowl wins and losses don't count
4. Whatever happened happened, and you can't change that ... unless you don't want it to have happened. Then it didn't (like wins and losses).
5. He knows exactly I am from a previous thread, but he's not telling ... and I was never in that thread.
Perhaps he should change his. And to The Oracle!

I think I'm making progress with Lando. He's dialing down the "lay-up" talk and is now content to predict a simple W...maybe even close: "We could win by 3 or 4 but we win this game."

Meanwhile, in the Florida State/Georgia Tech result, we see the value of the FPI indicator. It's an old story: the games are won by the players on the field, not by statisticians with their paper computations.
I've said all along by 1 or 30 all that matters is the win
FSU is not on our level with FPI...we're significantly better than them. FSU would have been significantly worse if they weren't in the ACC.
People still fail to comprehend the expectations for this team this year especially when looking at WVU.

Impossible.

• Haha
Reactions: MacNit2.0 and Jerry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT