ADVERTISEMENT

2 weeks from tomorrow. We find out?

Winning 9 games (contrary to your prediction) as a P4 conference member is the mark of a good team by any measure. Whether such a season could be considered successful would depend on expectations and potential coming in.

Given that the Mountaineers had been picked to finish last in the B-12 before the 2023 season, their 9 wins greatly exceeded the predictions of the "experts," which is why Neal Brown's contract was extended through 2027.

Yeah, some fans are still not convinced, but there's a lot of excitement in the air in Morgantown, and besides, you'll never please every fan regardless. The point is, no, Neal Brown is not on the hot seat...or else his contract would not have been extended...nor was he fired as you also predicted.

I see this as a challenging game for various reasons. I think we'll win, but it wouldn't be a surprise if it were competitive the whole way. Then again, it also wouldn't be a shock if we were to end up pulling away. One thing for sure: going in there with your "lay-up" attitude would be a recipe for disaster.

By the way, a lot of money has been coming in on West Virginia, which is why the line has moved downward...now in the range of 8.5. Granted, this factor is no more meaningful in deciding the outcome than your FPI, but it does suggest that most people see this game as anything but a lay-up.

Finally, you're wrong about my attitude. I've never been either a cheerleader or a nay-sayer. I don't have to pump up West Virginia's credentials. Their record last year, their talent this year, and the circumstances surrounding this game are more than enough to understand that a victory next Saturday would count as a good win against a good team.
To add to your post -

Since Garrett Greene was inserted as QB1 by Neal Brown into the 2023 Oklahoma game in Morgantown, WVU has played 16 games. 15 of those were Power 5 opponents. WVU has gone 11-5 over that span, including beating Oklahoma, winning at Oklahoma State, and winning a bowl game last season.

WVU’s only losses over that time frame were to four ranked opponents and a Hail Mary loss at Houston

To add to your post -

Since Garrett Greene was inserted as QB1 by Neal Brown into the 2023 Oklahoma game in Morgantown, WVU has played 16 games. 15 of those were Power 5 opponents. WVU has gone 11-5 over that span, including beating Oklahoma, winning at Oklahoma State, and winning a bowl game last season.

WVU’s only losses over that time frame were to four ranked opponents and a Hail Mary loss at Houston
What was Oklahoma's record in 2022 when they beat them?
You realize Greene left the Pitt game when they were losing...they were fortunate for that.
I'm happy for you that you're optimistic but you're making Greene, highly inaccurate, something he's not.

8 wins and it's not a measure of a good team. Did Maye play in the bowl game? Of course not, them beating UNC meant nothing--nothing us losing our bowl game meant nothing. Again--what was their best win? Answer the question...
What team doesn't have "excitement" heading into a new season? Usually its misguided.
It's not a challenging game--see last year--if we show up and play our C game we win
That's saying betters believe WVU can cover--they aren't putting it on the money line. We could win by 3 or 4 but we win this game
If you believe I'm wrong about your attitude (outlook) answer my question--who was their best win last year? Or--better yet--who did they beat on our level that's causing you any concern
We are expected to win next Saturday--and the season will determine if it was a decent win, a good win or a great win or just a win over a mid-tier Big XII team that means nothing other than it's a win.
You all think way too many teams are "good"--there's only about 15-20 good teams each year. Watch them last year against Ok State who was destroyed by South Alabama. Just watch instead of looking at a record.
We play our "C game" and we probably lose. Wake up, ignorant comment. Only hope is WVU also plays their C game in that scenario. That probably does not happen though because if we play our C game it is most likely due to WVU playing their A or B game.

We play our "C game" and we probably lose. Wake up, ignorant comment. Only hope is WVU also plays their C game in that scenario. That probably does not happen though because if we play our C game it is most likely due to WVU playing their A or B game.
Nope we played our C game, at best, last year a won easily
WVU's A game isn't on par with our C Game...you understand the talent gap here right?

FSU found out how a 10 point underdog can get rev'd up to start off the season and surprise a team that many had pegged for the playoff. And FSU didn't have to deal with a loud away crowd as it seemed like Dublin was full of FSU fans.....

Reactions: Obliviax and Jerry
- If this offense is Coach K's or CJF's "same Ole, same ole"
- If Allar has matured enough as a QB to make the difficult decisions and accurate passes at all levels of the field.
- If the WRs have actually improved and can get separation.
- If the OL veterans and newcomers look like a cohesive unit in their blocking & protections

- How much a difference the new DCs scheme will be from Diaz's and if they are more stout against the runs up the middle.
- If the new starters at CB are shutdown corners.
-Who gets trotted out to attempt FGs if required and are they accurate from 40 yds in.
What are you wanting to see?
It's starting to shape up as a big game. Brace for a loss

What was Oklahoma's record in 2022 when they beat them?
You realize Greene left the Pitt game when they were losing...they were fortunate for that.
I'm happy for you that you're optimistic but you're making Greene, highly inaccurate, something he's not.
Re: Oklahoma, not sure of what their record was, but they were 0-1 in Morgantown. And if their record was not great, that's their problem, not ours. They should've played better.

And Greene went down with a sprained ankle with 6:30 to go in the first quarter with WVU down 3-0 to Pitt. Pitt scored 6 total points in the game. Garrett Greene led WVU to 15 points at Penn State. I don't know, and I may be going out on a limb here, but I think he could've produced 10 vs. Pitt.

Anyhow, I know you have your schtick and you're not changing your tune. And you keep harping on this completion percentage deal. Well, one thing you need to consider is that WVU's low completion % with Greene is partially by design. Greene throws bombs. That's what he does. He's 4th in the country in average depth of target (14.4 yards) and 2nd in the country in average yards per completion (16.27 yards). Drew Allar is 73rd in the country in average yards per completion at 11 yards & 74th in the country in completion % (59.9%)..

So, if Garrett Greene comes out and goes 1-3 in our first three plays, by just using his average depth of completion, WVU is looking at 1st and 10 near midfield.

Garrett has a low completion percentage in large part because WVU takes shots down the field early and often, by drawing defenses close to the line of scrimmage out of respect for our ability to run the ball. We don't dink and dunk. It's much easier to hit greens in regulation with a wedge than it is with a 4-iron.

Re: Oklahoma, not sure of what their record was, but they were 0-1 in Morgantown. And if their record was not great, that's their problem, not ours. They should've played better.

And Greene went down with a sprained ankle with 6:30 to go in the first quarter with WVU down 3-0 to Pitt. Pitt scored 6 total points in the game. Garrett Greene led WVU to 15 points at Penn State. I don't know, and I may be going out on a limb here, but I think he could've produced 10 vs. Pitt.

Anyhow, I know you have your schtick and you're not changing your tune. And you keep harping on this completion percentage deal. Well, one thing you need to consider is that WVU's low completion % with Greene is partially by design. Greene throws bombs. That's what he does. He's 4th in the country in average depth of target (14.4 yards) and 2nd in the country in average yards per completion (16.27 yards). Drew Allar is 73rd in the country in average yards per completion at 11 yards & 74th in the country in completion % (59.9%)..

So, if Garrett Greene comes out and goes 1-3 in our first three plays, by just using his average depth of completion, WVU is looking at 1st and 10 near midfield.

Garrett has a low completion percentage in large part because WVU takes shots down the field early and often, by drawing defenses close to the line of scrimmage out of respect for our ability to run the ball. We don't dink and dunk. It's much easier to hit greens in regulation with a wedge than it is with a 4-iron.
Greene has a low competition percentage because he is inaccurate on short and medium throws plus can't read defenses so when his first read isn't open it's a disaster which explains the desperate "deep shot" based offense they're forced to run.

What was WVU's record without Greene has year? Were they losing against Pitt when he left? Sure he could have won that game or he could have lost it. His inability to control his emotion cost you one game last year.

Beating OU is 2022 wasn't impressive. OU went 6-6. They were a mess on their first year under Venables. You used OU as an example of a good team.

Good luck this season. Being in the incredibly weak Big XII gives everyone a shot to be good/solid but you're overselling your team...especially Greene.

I will say WVU is very lucky to have McAfee in their corner. He's doing a great job helping to hype up an undersized, inaccurate QB. You can make all the excuses you want but 53% completion percentage gets you benched anywhere else.

We also don't have a Big XII defense.

Well, we used a fullback, the qb was under center, there were cross buck plays, and it seemed as if the o-line had larger gaps and could create holes more easily by doing that. I don’t about you, but I’m frankly tired of seeing every offense at every level running the same offense where the qb never is under center and there’s only one back.
IIRC Sam Gash made the pro bowl without having a carry

Reactions: Fayette_LION
I almost want Greene to have a good day against us to prove Lando wrong. LOL.
Let's pretend he has a decent day--how does that prove me wrong? It's a long season--almost every QB will have some good days and bad days. We'll see the issues everyone says exist with Greene--he'll struggle to go through his reads, he'll be inaccurate and he'll look to run before he should. He'll live and die on 50/50 balls.

Let's pretend he has a decent day--how does that prove me wrong? It's a long season--almost every QB will have some good days and bad days. We'll see the issues everyone says exist with Greene--he'll struggle to go through his reads, he'll be inaccurate and he'll look to run before he should. He'll live and die on 50/50 balls.
24-30, 3 TD passes 300yds and he beats us. Oh that stings but would be funny laughing at you. Yes, I know it means nothing but then he goes on to have an excellent season. Dohhh!

24-30, 3 TD passes 300yds and he beats us. Oh that stings but would be funny laughing at you. Yes, I know it means nothing but then he goes on to have an excellent season. Dohhh!
I mean, if want that to happen good for you--I know simply admitting I'm right is tough for you

Like i said from the beginning...this wasn't a test and we wouldn't find out much.

Is everyone glad they were worried about this layup?

Elliot Washington tracking the ball, coming down with the PICK!

AK looks as focused calling garbage time as he did earlier.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT