ADVERTISEMENT

2016-17 BWI Board Official Last Man Standing Picks

Just a reminder on this. You have until 6 pm EDT on Friday, 11/4, to post your entry. There are 33 people that entered the LMS contest so far.

We're up to 37 participants.

There's still time for more of you to join in. Entries will be accepted until 6 pm EDT today.

Tom,

Can I make a change to my picks?

The combo that I want hasn't been chosen yet.

Post the reply and I will send my change if allowed.

Thanks, Philanit

Last edited:
Tom,

Thanks, just saw your reply. If the change is still allowed, I would like to have the following:
1. Joseph
2. A. Valencia

so my change is Z Valencia out, A. Valencia in.

Thanks

Tom,

Thanks, just saw your reply. If the change is still allowed, I would like to have the following:
1. Joseph
2. A. Valencia

so my change is Z Valencia out, A. Valencia in.

Thanks

Accepted. I made the change on my spreadsheet.

Hey Tom, let us know when you've for real, no kidding, locked down the picks.

I'd like to start a discussion on why we picked who we did, and why we didn't pick others ... but obviously that doesn't happen as long as picks can still be made.

I'll tease that discussion by saying that my gut reaction was very different from the 2 guys I actually picked.

I

I'd like to start a discussion on why we picked who we did, and why we didn't pick others ... but obviously that doesn't happen as long as picks can still be made.

I'll tease that discussion by saying that my gut reaction was very different from the 2 guys I actually picked.
hurried with the thought I couldn't duplicate (after being corrected on McKenna)... I thought my strategy may be schedule strength..

LOL. I share your sentiment. As soon as folks started posting their picks, I wanted to post commentaries on them.

PICKS ARE LOCKED. If somebody had posted Friday nite or Saturday morn that they just saw the thread, and wanted to get in, I probably would have accepted them, especially since this is the 1st year of the BWI LMS Competition, and I didn't give folks a lot of time to think about the competition or their picks. However, at this point I think I've given everyone that was interested enough time to participate.

I was thinking of locking the thread. Doing so would prevent folks from the temptation to go in and edit their picks. However, I have everyone's picks in a spreadsheet, so I'm going to leave this thread open, and allow conversations, standings, etc. concerning the competition to take place in the thread.

Have at it.

Was doing a quick pick when you closed this. No biggie, just want to make an unofficial pick...so I have a record that I can see later...

Suriano
Massa

OK, here goes. I picked Kemerer and Hayes, but that was not nearly my gut call.

My gut said to take Zahid. But (assuming he's at 174 at the time) he faces Bo Jordan on 11/19 and possibly again at CLKV on 12/3. Could he sweep that? Sure. What are the odds? Gotta think not so good.

I also thought about Micah Jordan, but what a brutal CKLV he'll face: Pantaleo, Chishko, Prince, Hammond, Galasso, maybe Zacherl? No thanks.

So then I looked at Kemerer as a starting point, not necessarily the guy I'd take, just a baseline. He faces a collective nobody until Christmas. Midlands is a gamble if any alumni wrestle, but otherwise he should win. He gets JoJo on 1/15, which I think he will win. Then 1/20-Jason Nolf.

So then who can stay undefeated until or beyond 1/20?
- Suriano? He gets Gilman 1/20. Before then he gets Schram, Piccinnini, Lizak, and Lambert. Maybe he makes it to Gilman, but we haven't seen him in college yet.
- Massa gets Jordan at CKLV on 12/3. He's out.
- Cortez and Brock face each other at Reno. I'm not willing to bet on either, so they're both out.
- Cenzo ... I might regret this one. He could be undefeated until facing Jordan on 1/27. I'm just a little uneasy about Chandler Rogers at Reno -- they're both big move guys, and something might give.
- Kolodzik? Tri-meet on 12/3 including Nebraska. Then MIdlands (Jack, Ashnault, who else?). Penn on 1/8 (Richardson?). Not much after that ... I might regret this one as well, but I thought Midlands was too much.

At this point I got tired of thinking, stuck with Kemerer as my baseline, and then went with Hayes as the backup. His schedule has a little risk -- Thorn at CKLV, then a dual vs. Manley. I think he can get past these. But I missed his dual vs. Ashnault on 1/8. So I'll probably regret taking him over Cenzo or Suriano.

Anyway, that was my thinking, for better or worse.

Reactions: LaxHawk174

My gut said to take Zahid. But (assuming he's at 174 at the time) he faces Bo Jordan on 11/19 and possibly again at CLKV on 12/3. Could he sweep that? Sure. What are the odds? Gotta think not so good.

I also thought about Micah Jordan, but what a brutal CKLV he'll face: Pantaleo, Chishko, Prince, Hammond, Galasso, maybe Zacherl? No thanks.

So then I looked at Kemerer as a starting point, not necessarily the guy I'd take, just a baseline. He faces a collective nobody until Christmas. Midlands is a gamble if any alumni wrestle, but otherwise he should win. He gets JoJo on 1/15, which I think he will win. Then 1/20-Jason Nolf.

- Suriano? He gets Gilman 1/20. Before then he gets Schram, Piccinnini, Lizak, and Lambert. Maybe he makes it to Gilman, but we haven't seen him in college yet.
- Cortez and Brock face each other at Reno. I'm not willing to bet on either, so they're both out.
- Cenzo ... I might regret this one. He could be undefeated until facing Jordan on 1/27. I'm just a little uneasy about Chandler Rogers at Reno -- they're both big move guys, and something might give.
- Kolodzik? Tri-meet on 12/3 including Nebraska. Then MIdlands (Jack, Ashnault, who else?). Penn on 1/8 (Richardson?). Not much after that ... I might regret this one as well, but I thought Midlands was too much.

At this point I got tired of thinking, stuck with Kemerer as my baseline, and then went with Hayes as the backup. His schedule has a little risk -- Thorn at CKLV, then a dual vs. Manley. I think he can get past these. But I missed his dual vs. Ashnault on 1/8. So I'll probably regret taking him over Cenzo or Suriano.

Note on Kolodzik: he has Ashnault on 11/19 in a scheduled dual w/Rutgers (I think). Took him as my #2 anyway, even thought their recent back/forth has slightly favored AA. Kid is tough.

Edit: Also looked at schedules to see who had possibility of getting thru the dec/holiday tourneys undefeated. Tough tough call. Seems all have potential land mines along the way. Then you have to get to the Jan dual schedule to find when the match ups with the big dogs. Can't account for anyone's absence, etc.. Crap shoot....

Last edited:
Note on Kolodzik: he has Ashnault on 11/19 in a scheduled dual w/Rutgers (I think). Took him as my #2 anyway, even thought their recent back/forth has slightly favored AA. Kid is tough.

Edit: Also looked at schedules to see who had possibility of getting thru the dec/holiday tourneys undefeated. Tough tough call. Seems all have potential land mines along the way. Then you have to get to the Jan dual schedule to find when the match ups with the big dogs. Can't account for anyone's absence, etc.. Crap shoot....
Correct about Kolodzik vs. Ashnault on 11/19. Can't believe I missed that one as well ...

Princeton is in the Hokie Open tomorrow -- teams/participants have not yet been released, but last year included McKenna, Henderson, Krivus, Speno, Scotton, Finesilver, among others. Some potential competitors who could make that as a day trip: Jack, Ward, DiCamillo, Prince, Gustafson.

Appears that Micic is the 1st entrant to suffer a loss this season. jrod9 entered Micic as a backup, so he's still in the LMS contest. Should Vincenzo Joseph lose (his primary), then he's out.

My gut reaction was Kemerer, because I know that Iowa generally isn't really challenged as a team prior to Midlands + B1G schedule, there are usually a lot of Iowa wrestlers that go into Midlands and B1G season with very good records. I think Kemerer will be in the top 4 this year, and think he could make the finals, so he was a good place to start for me, as I think he'll be undefeated going into the okie state dual and PSU dual should he beat Smith. He was my first pick on themat forums as well. I was a bit late to picking and I saw you had snagged him up, so I really was trying to think of someone who was stronger than Hayes. I think Brock has a relatively nice path. He could have an early test at Reno, but who knows how many OSU starters will be there as they have a dual the night before I believe. Scuffle I think he will win, and I think he could be undefeated until meeting Clark 1/15 where I think he will fall. Hayes is very solid too, but I think he will go down sometime before, potentially to Kolodzik or otherwise. Well that was my thinking behind my picks as well.

Another gut reaction I had was Sam Stoll either as my primary or my backup, as I think he has a relatively good path for an undefeated record going late into the year, until he matches up with Snyder. The nevills match will be a good one as well I'm sure, which is a week prior. But I think he'll roll through midlands this year with no Gwiz. My only concern was how early he would return and if he would miss any official competitions to rule him out of the contest, in media day interview he said he was wrestling some live goes, and drilling. He's been running hills for many weeks now, but it sounds like he and the coaches are all taking his return very slowly, not any faster than needed. So I think its possible we see him in December, but not November. But still not early enough to warrant a pick.

My gut reaction was Kemerer, because I know that Iowa generally isn't really challenged as a team prior to Midlands + B1G schedule, there are usually a lot of Iowa wrestlers that go into Midlands and B1G season with very good records. I think Kemerer will be in the top 4 this year, and think he could make the finals, so he was a good place to start for me, as I think he'll be undefeated going into the okie state dual and PSU dual should he beat Smith. He was my first pick on themat forums as well. I was a bit late to picking and I saw you had snagged him up, so I really was trying to think of someone who was stronger than Hayes. I think Brock has a relatively nice path. He could have an early test at Reno, but who knows how many OSU starters will be there as they have a dual the night before I believe. Scuffle I think he will win, and I think he could be undefeated until meeting Clark 1/15 where I think he will fall. Hayes is very solid too, but I think he will go down sometime before, potentially to Kolodzik or otherwise. Well that was my thinking behind my picks as well.

Another gut reaction I had was Sam Stoll either as my primary or my backup, as I think he has a relatively good path for an undefeated record going late into the year, until he matches up with Snyder. The nevills match will be a good one as well I'm sure, which is a week prior. But I think he'll roll through midlands this year with no Gwiz. My only concern was how early he would return and if he would miss any official competitions to rule him out of the contest, in media day interview he said he was wrestling some live goes, and drilling. He's been running hills for many weeks now, but it sounds like he and the coaches are all taking his return very slowly, not any faster than needed. So I think its possible we see him in December, but not November. But still not early enough to warrant a pick.
I thought about Stoll as well, but it was a fleeting thought for the same reason.

Appears that Micic is the 1st entrant to suffer a loss this season. jrod9 entered Micic as a backup, so he's still in the LMS contest. Should Vincenzo Joseph lose (his primary), then he's out.

Yes, but since multiple others have Cenzo as their primary, and it is unlikely all their secondaries will lose prior to their third match, it essentially means he has no path to victory. Very strange things would have to happen.

EDIT: Ha! I should have kept my mouth shut. My secondary (Studebaker) also lost in his 3rd match, so I'm probably knocked out in the first week, too. Stupid, stupid, stupid . . . :mad:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT