ADVERTISEMENT

2017 NCAAs Session 6 Thread

For marketing purposes, this couldn't have been much better. Not only did you get the Nickal/Dean match as the ultimate match of the night, but you got five wrestlers from the most exciting team in the country back to back to finish the night.

Not sure if Cael can widen the gap further because he's already made PSU the premier school, but wow that was perfect last night to do so

Reactions: diggerpup
Not surprising, I heard a rumor that Sandy is very comfortable in a luchador mask...I kid, I kid.

She is super supportive of the team.

She's been a pretty good AD overall if you ask me. Very hands on and active in her support. She was even in Rio to support PSU kids in the olympics

Reactions: chrisrn1965
IMar is such a strong tactician. In their previous duels VJ was right there but to his credit IMar found a way.

I cannot believe the hips and upper body strength from VJ the last 3 matches. He OWNED that match after giving up an early takedown.

My favorite match in a very long time. Just incredible.
Join the crowd!! At the social after the finals, Cael stated that in the thousands of matches he's watched, he doesn't remember feeling quite the way he did during/just after that bout.

Last edited:
Hall's shot came with 10 seconds left, it cannot be considered a final second shot after a failed desperation attempt: Jordan had time, knew he had time, and Hall took him down with a shot. No stalling call can be justified.

Hall scored off his own shot, it was not a counter of any kind. It was a blast-double while the wrestlers were in an ear-to-ear tie. He simply beat BoJo to the punch somewhat because he caught BoJo "defenses down" because BoJo clearly didn't think he was going to shoot (i.e., would be satisfied to try and make 1 point lead stand up) and BoJo was being "too choosy" on his own shot given he was down.

IOW, it was the diametric opposite of stalling and backing-into a win...he sealed the match off his own initiative and shot securing the TD that closed-out the match given the click situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21Guns
What a night. What an amazing season. Can't wait for the awards banquet in a few weeks!
Sandy was there and very supportive, along with other administrators on her staff that are involved with the program. For personal reasons Dr. Barron was not there.

Hall's shot came with 10 seconds left, it cannot be considered a final second shot after a failed desperation attempt: Jordan had time, knew he had time, and Hall took him down with a shot. No stalling call can be justified.

Wtf are you talking about? Hall is the one that shot in. Did you even watch it?

If the roles reversed, I'm screaming my lungs out for a stall call there. Like I said, fortunately Mark iced it, but I thought Bo pressed enough to make it close to stalling

Might agree if there was more shot-making from BoJo in the critical 3rd, but there really wasn't - the wrestlers spent the majority of the period in a ear-to-ear tie pushing alternatively on one another. There were some "half shots", but Hall went for an ankle pick/sweep or two if I remember correctly. Under 30 seconds, Hall started going backwards consistently, but it turns out he was just setting BoJo up - WHO WAS BEING FAR TOO CHOOSY HIMSELF GIVEN THAT HE WAS THE WRESTLER DOWN A POINT! Then, with just over 10 seconds remaining Hall "out-foxed" BoJo beating him to the punch and initiating his own shot, a blast-double, which he converted cleanly and BoJo clearly didn't expect because Hall had the lead (again, BoJo was clearly being too choosy in regards to actually initiating his own offense in an attempt to win - pushing on someone from a "tie-up" position is not offense.).

I just finished watching the IMar match again and again. It's very interesting to watch IMar's reaction.

The poor kid is truly stunned...and I mean STUNNED. He doesn't even shake hands. He just sleepwalks to his coaches who help him back to the locker room.

I don't hate IMar. I very much respect the kid. These types of matches have so much hype to them, I hope hes able to rebound and put this behind him.

Hate is too strong a word. I certainly respect the level of excellence that IMar has attained at his craft. That said, he can be a bit of a tool at times.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Looking for Ironhead's PBP call of the Joseph/Martinez bout? Click this link and fast forward the player to 2:34 for the entire call.

"Cenzo takes bottom to start the 3rd, he has 1:05 in RT advantage as we begin the period. Joseph circles out for the escape....Vincenzo leads 6-5!. Martinez trying to get in, HE'S IN UNDER THE ARMS, AND IT LOOKS LIKE JOSEPH WANTS TO COUNTER AND JOSEPH THROWS MARTINEZ TO HIS BACK, HE THROWS MARTINEZ TO HIS BACK AND GETS THE PIN! VINCENZO JOSEPH WINS THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN DRAMATIC FASHION. JOSEPH THROWS MARTINEZ TO HIS BACK AND HE GETS THE PIN! DO YOU BELIEVE IT??? AND. HOW. DO. YOU. DO. VINCENZO. JOESPH.!!!!????

It sounded like the TrueWrestling guy who came up with that. The TrueWrestling guy is a good reporter/columnist/interviewer.
Zeb Miller called him that on interview that I think is on flo or Zeb's twitter account. I can't remember.

The Stanford or NC State guy (Red S on his white long sleeve shirt) is hilarious during and immediately following the Cenzo pin. I watched him and the crowd reactions around 10 times lol. Dude went crazy.

Reactions: Grass
The Stanford or NC State guy (Red S on his white long sleeve shirt) is hilarious during and immediately following the Cenzo pin. I watched him and the crowd reactions around 10 times lol. Dude went crazy.

You read my mind. I couldn't figure out who he was a fan of, but he goes absolutely nuts! I loved it!

Reactions: theXbomber
He looked like a TORTURED man after that match!
This was Mayes after the semis:

C7Kc9M6V4AAfgM_.jpg:small

This was Mayes after Zain got done with him:

latest

Did anyone else find themselves thinking that they were still celebrating one victory when the next one was starting? It all happened so fast, my heart rate didn't have a chance to settle down, and boom the next celebration started.

Reactions: diggerpup
if you got a spare 35 min checkout the BSD facebook page and watch the post video

I would link but Im unable for somereason.

Is Perry who Joseph was pointing at when the ref raised his hand?

Not sure, but when Joseph planted Martinez on his back, the ESPN camera cut has him in full vision of the shot, looks like he says, "oh boy." I found it stunning that no one on the Illinois bench reacted at all. They all seemed to accept their fate either before or immediately after Joseph hit the inside trip.

Here's a few photos from tonight. I wasn't able to get on the floor for the matches--limited numbers of seats for photographers granted on a match-by-match basis. But shot from the skybox nevertheless.

hzvGAYk.jpg

So what's a better way to end your college career ... a relatively quiet loss in the semis followed by a couple of wins and a third-place medal, or a win in the semis followed by pain and humiliation in front of a national audience?

Pretty sure Perry was in the opposite direction, but in any case Cenzo pointed down the middle of that edge of the mat. Coaches were in the mat corners.

Perry visibly dropped his head when Martinez hit the mat. IDK if he knew a pin was coming, but a 6 at that stage of the match would've virtually clinched the title.

Pretty sure Perry was in the opposite direction, but in any case Cenzo pointed down the middle of that edge of the mat. Coaches were in the mat corners.

Perry visibly dropped his head when Martinez hit the mat. IDK if he knew a pin was coming, but a 6 at that stage of the match would've virtually clinched the title.

Were you there? I believe his parents were sitting in the temporary seats below the main arena that were set up for the finals. At least those are the steps I believe he ran up to give them a hug afterwards.

There is absolutely, positively NO WAY Cenzo is every pointing at another coach. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT