ADVERTISEMENT

2017 NCAAs Session 6 Thread

I agree. Next year they need to get rid of Billy Baldwin and let DT be the sideline reporter. He's really good.

Please, no. Taylor is good because his discussion is focused on the wrestling, where he can provide some insight. We don't need DT asking dumb-ass questions to various "celebrities". Baldwin is quite good at that job already.

Reactions: Antaeus
Put your head around this one, guys:

next year, you're a team that is hosting PSU, or travels to PSU, for a dual. That by itself is a tall task. So their coach, when they look at the match-ups, and try to figure out how to win the dual, is staring at the fact that of the 10 matches, 5 of them involve the reigning NCAA champ. Good luck, coach. ;)

Someone asked on the Den:

Little help:

125 Suriano
133 Gianginelli
149 Zain
157 Nolf
165 Joseph
174 Hall
187 Nickle
197 McCutchinson
285 Neville

Last edited:
I want to also nominate David Taylor to be in the booth next year. He's way better than Robles or Tim Johnson. Anyone hear him commenting on Nolf telling Cenzo to try some some slide byes because it worked last year for him? Thought that was pretty cool.

I want to also nominate David Taylor to be in the booth next year. He's way better than Robles or Tim Johnson. Anyone hear him commenting on Nolf telling Cenzo to try some some slide byes because it worked last year for him? Thought that was pretty cool.
Unpopular opinion: I actually like Robles. I think he's dragged down by Tim Johnson.

3U2K2pc.jpg

Unpopular opinion: I actually like Robles. I think he's dragged down by Tim Johnson.

I like Robles as a person -- tons of respect for him. I just don't think he adds all that much as a commentator. While PSU fans do have a good feeling about DT, his comments on Off The Mat tonight were outstanding. Based on that, I think he'd make an excellent commentator.

I like Robles as a person -- tons of respect for him. I just don't think he adds all that much as a commentator. While PSU fans do have a good feeling about DT, his comments on Off The Mat tonight were outstanding. Based on that, I think he'd make an excellent commentator.
I really liked his idea of having different refs review the video reviews. Discussed the numbers of how many calls don't get overturned and how using a different official would take away any personal bias. I doubt this happens, but I liked the idea.

quick question - when PSU challenged the first takedown IMar had on Cenzo why did it start back on their feet. I thought when a call is challenged you go back to time on the challenge and in that case Cenzo would start on bottom.

133 - Jered Cortez (starter this year, but got injured in Dec, and then re-injured in Jan, and had surgery)
141 - Nick Lee (true fresh) or Kade Moss (started a good bit last year)
197 - McCutcheon (returning starter) or Anthony Cassar

Where/how in the heck does Manville fit into this line up?

Reactions: Dogwelder
So tough to pick a best moment from this evening, but, for me, seeing Hall get that last TD as the crowed was screaming for a stall.
I think the second stall call on Hall probably should have been warranted. Good thing he would have still iced it with the TD. My favorite moment is the replay of DT going nuts in the tunnel with the team. He's gonna make a very good coach someday...hope its in the EIWA

What....what is Tom Ryan doing in those photos.

That's NWCA Executive Director Mike Moyer on the left. Tom Ryan, on the right, is the President of the NWCA (I believe Pat Popolizio is the President-Elect). I guess the most pins award is sponsored by the NWCA.

Reactions: lionlover
Put your head around this one, guys:

next year, you're a team that is hosting PSU, or travels to PSU, for a dual. That by itself is a tall task. So their coach, when they look at the match-ups, and try to figure out how to win the dual, is staring at the fact that of the 10 matches, 5 of them involve the reigning NCAA champ. Good luck, coach. ;)
Well...at least they get an injury prone Suriano to go against!:eek:

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Where/how in the heck does Manville fit into this line up?

who knows. he'll be somebody that's battling for a spot.

assuming nobody changes weights, 141 is the only starting spot with an opening. 133 will have questions until we learn more about Cortez's rehab.

Lee and Moss are expected to battle it out for 141.

Manville, like Rasheed (and others), will be trying to battle his way into the lineup.

Thanks everyone for a great season and all the great wrestling talk and info. Things have been challenging to me the last few years and the wrestling board is a place I can come and enjoy. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing 7 out of 8 next year. Congrats PSU coaches, wrestlers, alumni, students and fans. God bless!!!

That Byer's call of the Joseph pin was AWESOME- if that doesnt get you pumped up, you're dead. Unforgettable!

PSU-5
Lehigh-1
O$U-1

College wrestling has moved east.

I wasn't a fan and am still not a fan of changing the order of the bouts........but we sure made it work for us.

Reactions: lionlover
I wasn't a fan and am still not a fan of changing the order of the bouts........but we sure made it work for us.

I'm also not a fan of the switch, but it did work out nicely for PSU fans this year. I can't imagine it being scripted any better for PSU fans.

And while PSU is not an unknown to the better high school wrestlers, or even youth wrestlers, just imagine what their experience was like watching NCAAs this evening.

I have had many a satisfying night watching the Lions wrestle under Cael's leadership. Without a doubt, this was the most satisfying night. I was banished to the basement due to my enthusiasm; checking to see if I am cleared to come upstairs. Unbelievable performance.

I almost got banished too. All the screaming and jumping up and down scared the crap out of the dog. I hardly have any voice left.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
That was the first time I ever saw Imar actually get caught and stuck. Jason pinned him in a different way on a scramble. Every other time he either rolled through for the takedown, or flipped out of it. Cenzo had the presence of mind to stick his arms out to stop the roll through, then the ability to bring his core back down with his hips, to keep his momentum from flipping over. He broke the overhook mid flight. Just unreal. I remember thinking before the match, "If just somebody could somehow stay down on Imar on a throw...".

It actually happened tonight, and it was no fluke. The reason it happened was that Cenzo frustrated Imar and Imar got desperate, just like I figured would be the way to beat him. Imar pressed too far, and Cenzo ended him.

What do the two matches have in common:

In both cases, the Penn State wrestler frustrated Imar, and Imar is a bully who is stunned when the other guy punches back.

That was the first time I ever saw Imar actually get caught and stuck. Jason pinned him in a different way on a scramble. Every other time he either rolled through for the takedown, or flipped out of it. Cenzo had the presence of mind to stick his arms out to stop the roll through, then the ability to bring his core back down with his hips, to keep his momentum from flipping over. He broke the overhook mid flight. Just unreal. I remember thinking before the match, "If just somebody could somehow stay down on Imar on a throw...".

It actually happened tonight, and it was no fluke. The reason it happened was that Cenzo frustrated Imar and Imar got desperate, just like I figured would be the way to beat him. Imar pressed too far, and Cenzo ended him.

What do the two matches have in common:

In both cases, the Penn State wrestler frustrated Imar, and Imar is a bully who is stunned when the other guy punches back.

IMar is such a strong tactician. In their previous duels VJ was right there but to his credit IMar found a way.

I cannot believe the hips and upper body strength from VJ the last 3 matches. He OWNED that match after giving up an early takedown.

My favorite match in a very long time. Just incredible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT