ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread

Is there a 2017 version of Kevin givens out there who happens to be a linebacker and is waiting on a psu offer? Sometimes these last minute offers turn out pretty good

So, let's look at it now, as currently constructed:

Bowen
Brown
Cabinda
Farmer
Cooper
J. Miller
Franklin
Faison-Walton
Vranec

I count 9 roster linebackers. Johnson is done with football and Thomas has been moved back to running back. Will 9 be enough? If we suffer injuries, both incoming frosh might need to be green lighted. Edit: 10 roster linebackers including walk on Chizmar.

10 roster linebackers, but only 7 who are not true freshmen, and only 6 who are on scholarship. Wow. That is thin.

Kids will be kids, I just don't know how Rivers looks a guy like Sean Clifford in the eyes after they both committed so early and lead the charge for the 2017 class. It's not going to be a shock to the staff, but the other commits should feel slighted.

However, it's smart to base your college decision on your high school girlfriend, so I get ito_O

Amazing we can't get LBs to come here, the amount of injuries we have had at position, the Troy Reeder transfer, now Rivers. WTF

The only negative on JF recruiting these years has been we don't get big names to flip to us last minute, we lose recruits flipping to other schools last minute.

Reactions: TheGLOV
This kind of thing happens to everyone. From what I hear, many have predicted this. Unfortunate that he waited until now to tell the staff, but this is life in the elite. It happens to everyone, every year. If only Rivers decommits, I think we did well.

But we are now at rock bottom in terms of linebacker depth on this roster. Worse than last year actually. Without question, we have a major problem now at linebacker.

Time for the staff to perform some magic, fingers crossed.

This kind of thing happens to everyone. From what I hear, many have predicted this. Unfortunate that he waited until now to tell the staff, but this is life in the elite. It happens to everyone, every year. If only Rivers decommits, I think we did well.

But we are now at rock bottom in terms of linebacker depth on this roster. Worse than last year actually. Without question, we have a major problem now at linebacker.

Time for the staff to perform some magic, fingers crossed.
You would think the staff would be looking at a DE or 2 to shift to LB and it should be done for spring practice. Toney with his lack of size would be a prime candidate, but he is determined to play DE. Simmons seems athletic enough to do it, also.

So, let's look at it now, as currently constructed:

Bowen
Brown
Cabinda
Farmer
Cooper
J. Miller
Franklin
Faison-Walton
Vranec

I count 9 roster linebackers. Johnson is done with football and Thomas has been moved back to running back. Will 9 be enough? If we suffer injuries, both incoming frosh might need to be green lighted. Edit: 10 roster linebackers including walk on Chizmar.

10 roster linebackers, but only 7 who are not true freshmen, and only 6 who are on scholarship. Wow. That is thin.
Were is Smith's name?

I'm just wondering how Brooks wasn't previously offered? Looks a stud LB right in our territory.

Have to remember our numbers this recruiting year have been limited for most of the cycle. For a while we were looking at a class of only 17 signees but now looks like we may have around 20-21. We took 3 OLBs on board before August so hard to justify offering more players at this position.

Rivers decision does leave staff in a bind with alternatives this close to the deadline but not really something we can say they should have anticipated to the extent a spot is going to be easily filled with capacity of the class close to full. As long as he's committed you have your plan Bs but can't really act on those without a spot.

Brooks will be the target and if that doesn't work then I see them revisiting Zandier
Has Brooks been on campus much? Is this a complete shot in the dark?

I wonder why we hadn't offered him before now, as he certainly looks well deserving on paper. What is the story?

Bunch of CB'stuff for Rivers to VT today. Hate to beat a dead horse but I hate these last minute switches. Personally I wouldn't do something like this at this point. 4-6 weeks ago OK I get a change of heart. But still wish the kid well.

Bunch of CB'stuff for Rivers to VT today. Hate to beat a dead horse but I hate these last minute switches. Personally I wouldn't do something like this at this point. 4-6 weeks ago OK I get a change of heart. But still wish the kid well.

Unfortunately that's life. PSU is very thin at ILB and the staff should have been pursuing other prospects anyway. They couldn't get interest from the top prospect in NJ and they wiffed on Adams, Roberts, Proctor, and now Rivers.

Franklin has done a great job recruiting but not at this position. Let's see if he can pull a rabbit out of the hat in the next couple of weeks.

Wonder if they could flip Proctor now that Rivers might be competing for the same spot ?

Maybe they can get Brooks, who looks like a very good prospect.
Still, it should not have come to this with the needs we have at LB.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bdgan
I don't see Proctor as an inside linebacker. So I hope they can make an impact on Brooks. I think the biggest miss here is Roberts.

Wonder if they could flip Proctor now that Rivers might be competing for the same spot ?

Maybe they can get Brooks, who looks like a very good prospect.
Still, it should not have come to this with the needs we have at LB.

Plan B coming. Not so bad, if we can find that under the radar type kid and go from there.

We have Chiz to replace Rivers, he wants to be a Nittany Lion. I wonder if Andre Collins has a son that plays linebacker?

Woah. Easy. He's a walkon legacy who was lightly recruited, and a true freshman who isn't even on campus.

The staff needs to recruit another scholarship linebacker, find a juco, or move someone.

Sucks losing a LB, but I'd rather a recruit flip to VT and not Michigan. Franklin will find a good replacement for Rivers.

Good news: CJ Thorpe reaffirmed his commitment and won't be visiting Michigan, per Scout.

I don't see Proctor as an inside linebacker. So I hope they can make an impact on Brooks. I think the biggest miss here is Roberts.

Roberts was not a miss. He was a package deal with his brother. He brother is not good enough to make that a worthwhile arrangement

I with Rivers well. Remember these are only kids. GF may have given him THE ultimatum !!!!!!

I also wish him well. I understand wanting to go to school with you girlfriend, but I'm sure that being a football player (at Penn State or most other D1 schools) would have afforded him plenty of opportunities to replace her...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT