ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread

nattering nabobs of negativism. A phrase used by Vice President Spiro Agnew to refer to the members of the media with whom he had a very acrimonious relationship.

That goes back a fair piece, as they say.

Perhaps a more modern version..,

Twittering Twaddle of Twits

Penn State head coach James Franklin visited Ruggs Wednesday night, hours after Ruggs said he would likely take an official to State College the weekend of Jan. 27.

"It's just a different look," Ruggs said. "It's the Big Ten, so it's not football in the south. Coach Franklin is a really good guy, he and (receivers) Coach (Josh) Gattis. I went up for a camp and got a chance to be under Coach Gattis and liked the way he coached."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/01/after_eye-opening_visit_to_flo.html

That "Number One" now has been PROVEN. Big Ten East Champions, Big Ten Conference Champions. Number One, is damn right, and a fact.

No "sales pitch" there folks. Just facts.

Nice free recruiting article from 247

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Bolt/Busy-weekend-in-Happy-Valley-50678484

Penn State’s Class of 2017 is nearly complete, and that’s evidenced by the Nittany Lions’ lineup of official visitors that are due in this weekend. James Franklin and his staff will host 12 prospects on official visits this weekend, all but one are committed to the Nittany Lions. In addition, three additional committed prospects that used their official visits in the fall will be on hand in an unofficial capacity.

That means 15 of 16 prospects committed to the Nittany Lions in what is now the No. 12 recruiting class in the country will be on hand this weekend in what is the Nittany Lions’ largest gathering of visitors in January.

With extremely limited space remaining in the class, Penn State will host one prospect that is not currently on its commitment list. Olney (Md.) Good Counsel defensive lineman Joshua Paschal is scheduled to be on hand. He committed to Kentucky back in December but has remained in touch with the coaching staff at Penn State.

James Franklin visited Paschal this week in Maryland and the Nittany Lions are hopeful to flip the four-star prospect from the Wildcats, who lost defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot to Colorado this week. The main hurdles with the Wildcats remain, however, as Paschal’s older brother Travaughn Paschal is a graduate assistant with the program and recruiter Vince Marrow remains on staff.

The Nittany Lions view Paschal, who is rated the No. 262 overall prospect in the country by the 247Sports Composite rankings and the No. 12 strongside defensive end nationally, as a future defensive tackle. Before committing to Kentucky, he held scholarships from Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC and others.

Nice free recruiting article from 247

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Bolt/Busy-weekend-in-Happy-Valley-50678484

Penn State’s Class of 2017 is nearly complete, and that’s evidenced by the Nittany Lions’ lineup of official visitors that are due in this weekend. James Franklin and his staff will host 12 prospects on official visits this weekend, all but one are committed to the Nittany Lions. In addition, three additional committed prospects that used their official visits in the fall will be on hand in an unofficial capacity.

That means 15 of 16 prospects committed to the Nittany Lions in what is now the No. 12 recruiting class in the country will be on hand this weekend in what is the Nittany Lions’ largest gathering of visitors in January.

With extremely limited space remaining in the class, Penn State will host one prospect that is not currently on its commitment list. Olney (Md.) Good Counsel defensive lineman Joshua Paschal is scheduled to be on hand. He committed to Kentucky back in December but has remained in touch with the coaching staff at Penn State.

James Franklin visited Paschal this week in Maryland and the Nittany Lions are hopeful to flip the four-star prospect from the Wildcats, who lost defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot to Colorado this week. The main hurdles with the Wildcats remain, however, as Paschal’s older brother Travaughn Paschal is a graduate assistant with the program and recruiter Vince Marrow remains on staff.

The Nittany Lions view Paschal, who is rated the No. 262 overall prospect in the country by the 247Sports Composite rankings and the No. 12 strongside defensive end nationally, as a future defensive tackle. Before committing to Kentucky, he held scholarships from Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC and others.
Which one isn't there?

I'm also very interested into how the remaining prospects impact each other. Castro-Fields, who I now think picks PSU, Paschal, Webb, and Hendershot, and potentially Brooks. It would appear to be very difficult to make room for all of them. We'll see what Hippenhammer does, but it's very interesting.

Let me add they are all tremendous prospects. I wish we could take them all.

Looks like D. Johnson
Per Sean Fitz it looks like Donovan will be there afterall. Hip made it. Should be an interesting weekend for him. Close or no close?

Also per Fitz at 247:

Hip hosted by Juwan.
Rivers by Cam.
Paschal by Simmons.
DJ Brown by Haley.
ROb Martin by Fries (still has his redshirt:), wearing it, in fact).
Barber by Joseph.

Last edited:
Per reports of Franklin presser.
1) Greyshirting is unexpected, but a possibility.
2) Transfers are likely whether you want to call it processing or not is up to you.
3) Sounds like Noah Beh is the #2 category.
4) Tyler Davis is on scholarship.
5) Several recruits are flirting with other schools. Emphasis is on keeping them.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199
So much for the notion that PSU told Proctor they didn't have room for him.
Sounds as though the staff really didn't think that Proctor was as much of a necessity as the board did. Sounds like he might have been more of a luxury than anything.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Sounds as though the staff really didn't think that Proctor was as much of a necessity as the board did. Sounds like he might have been more of a luxury than anything.
If you look at actions, getting a RB or another athlete was a priority. Other recruits, like Castro-Fields, who are still in play are higher on the list than Proctor. Looks like another D-line and athlete (WR/DB/S) are priorities for the last two spots.

Last edited:
I think we're at 86 now if you include Davis. Sounds like we might add 2 more and possibly lose Hippenhammer. That means 2 will likeky transfer. Sound about right?
I think.

You can always count on one knucklehead too

Not sure I understand what is going on at LB, especially guys who can play MLB. I expected we would end up with at least two definite ILB guys in this class. I suppose it can still happen. Rivers certainly looks the part of an ILB. The new preferred walk on - Chizmar - will probably fit in there as well, but I expect he needs a couple of years.

SLB - Bowen( 2 ), Farmer ( 2 ), Franklin ( 4 ), Miller ( 3 ) ?
WLB - Cooper ( 2 ), Brown ( 3 ), Toney ( 4 ) ?, Faison - Walden ( 4 )
MLB - Cabinda ( 1 ), Smith ( 1 ), Rivers ( 4 ), Johnson ( 3 ) ?, Chizmar ( 4 )

I suppose Cooper could also be moved to MLB.

Not sure I understand what is going on at LB, especially guys who can play MLB. I expected we would end up with at least two definite ILB guys in this class. I suppose it can still happen. Rivers certainly looks the part of an ILB. The new preferred walk on - Chizmar - will probably fit in there as well, but I expect he needs a couple of years.

In order to see the field, Cooper needs to raise his level of play. Depth, or otherwise.

Right now we are looking at 5 or 6 linebackers who can actually play. Paper thin.

CJF said that this off season will be big for Cooper. I don't believe Cooper has the speed to play outside an cover receivers, and his play so far at PSU has not been great. He is young but I don't see him beating out Brown on the outside. I believe there is a better chance that Smith would start inside and Cabinda starts outside, but I believe the most likely outcome for 2017 is Farmer and Brown competing to start outside with Cooper as a reserve inside and outside and then possibly starting at MLB in 2018:
SLB - Bowen, Farmer/Brown/Cooper,
WLB - Farmer or Brown, Farmer/Brown/Cooper, Faison-Walden
MLB - Cabinda, Smith, Cooper, Rivers

Although Toney looks like a LB, he was the scout team MVP at DE and will be at DE until CJF says otherwise.

I believe we are looking at this next year: Starters--Cabinda at the mike, Bowen at the Sam, and Brown at the Will. 2nd unit will be Smith at the mike, Farmer at the Will, and Rivers/Miller at the Sam. Thomas and Cooper are depth, and hopefully Vranec comes back for more depth. Jan Johnson has given up football to concentrate on wrestling, Toney is still a defensive end, and everyone else is a true freshman.

Edit: I meant Bowen at the Will, and Brown at the Sam. Farmer backing up Brown at the Sam, also. Smith still backup Mike, and Miller running 2nd team at the Will. Rivers and BFW get green lighted, Waldon gets a yellow. Cannot afford to red light anybody, still paper thin, unless three players move. I count one so far, in Miller, nothing else at the moment. Find out more in March I suppose.

Last edited:
I believe we are looking at this next year: Starters--Cabinda at the mike, Bowen at the Sam, and Brown at the Will. 2nd unit will be Smith at the mike, Farmer at the Will, and Rivers/Miller at the Sam. Thomas and Cooper are depth, and hopefully Vranec comes back for more depth. Jan Johnson has given up football to concentrate on wrestling, Toney is still a defensive end, and everyone else is a true freshman.

No reason to believe Cabinda & Bowen won't be starters. Not sure Brown will play ahead of Farmer. I hope Cooper comes back healthy and improved. J. Thomas is a wildcard. Rivers could redshirt. Will be interesting to see if they move somebody like Toney.

No reason to believe Cabinda & Bowen won't be starters. Not sure Brown will play ahead of Farmer. I hope Cooper comes back healthy and improved. J. Thomas is a wildcard. Rivers could redshirt. Will be interesting to see if they move somebody like Toney.

Brown played ahead of Farmer in the Rose Bowl. Brown will start, Farmer is right there when needed in packages, and with steady improvement, could round himself into an every down player, in case something happens to Brown. Brown is going to be special, he was very VERY green last year.

J. Thomas is a running back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT