ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread

so what's up with Jon Lovett (RB)? Is his offer commitable or not...considering he decommitted from Rutgers after his PSU visit but has not committed to us OR Iowa and is now reconsidering Rutgers tells me that PSU nor Iowa will definitively accept his commitment at this time (maybe his new Michigan St offer changes things)...but really, what commit with other good B1G offers (even jersey kids) RECONSIDER Rutgers as their best option?

I can't read the Coach's minds (neither can anyone else).......but my gut feel has ALWAYS been that I don't think the staff was ever "all in" wrt Swift being an extremely high-value-added recruiting target

If he says "Hey, I want to come to PSU"....and there is room......maybe they take him
Of course, you "recruit" all the top kids in your region (unless you find that some kid is just a complete azzhole)........because you never know what could happen in the two/three years while the kid is going through the recruiting process .........but I doubt there will be any sleep lost if the kid ends up a Bulldog
Well, you are wrong. Swift is the kind of player that Franklin would make room for. He's a take at any time.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Well, you are wrong. Swift is the kind of player that Franklin would make room for. He's a take at any time.
Which part of this statement is written in a language that you are not conversant in?:

"I can't read the Coach's minds (neither can anyone else)......."

:)

so what's up with Jon Lovett (RB)? Is his offer commitable or not...considering he decommitted from Rutgers after his PSU visit but has not committed to us OR Iowa and is now reconsidering Rutgers tells me that PSU nor Iowa will definitively accept his commitment at this time (maybe his new Michigan St offer changes things)...but really, what commit with other good B1G offers (even jersey kids) RECONSIDER Rutgers as their best option?
If I had to guess, Lovett's scholarship is contingent on someone leaving early so he won't know if there's room for him until after the bowl game. Rutgers is probably plan B. As bad as their team is, playing in NJ is much better than playing in Iowa.

You're about as close on this as you were on your assessment of the dire DT situation this year and next. The kid wanted to go elsewhere and it wasn't that the staff didn't pursue or want him. There is a reason there is some talk of a "possible" visit still in January and it's not because they were just bored and wanted to say hi. Ask Ryan, Nate, Fitz...or anyone that covers recruiting if he is a take. And yes while they cannot say they get info from inside...that is where most of it comes from in 2016. Both parties are smart and use the nod, nod, wink, wink method and that goes for most programs. Most think he sticks with UGa or keep your eye on Clemson too here.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, Lovett's scholarship is contingent on someone leaving early so he won't know if there's room for him until after the bowl game. Rutgers is probably plan B. As bad as their team is, playing in NJ is much better than playing in Iowa.
Playing football where in NJ is better than Iowa? Kean, Glassboro, Trenton State?

Shonn Greene disagrees with you...NJ kid who chose to go to Iowa and had a successful college career and then went to the NFL...I'd say Iowa usually produces much better NFL lineman which is good for running backs...than that team to the east
Playing football where in NJ is better than Iowa? Kean, Glassboro, Trenton State?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
"Me thinks" you don't know the meaning of a lot of words.

In fact, "me thinks" there is a whole lot of stuff you don't know
I understand what you are saying (that no one knows what the coaches are thinking). I'm telling you that the hesitation of Swift coming to PSU is on Swift and his family, not Franklin. Over a year ago his dad came out and was adamant that PSU was not the leader for his son, despite early reports. I'm not saying that they don't like PSU, but Georgia/the SEC has always been #1 to them.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Shonn Greene disagrees with you...NJ kid who chose to go to Iowa and had a successful college career and then went to the NFL...I'd say Iowa usually produces much better NFL lineman which is good for running backs...than that team to the east
Right now, I think that Iowa is plan C. I believe the kid wants to come to PSU but we are just not an option for him at this time. Rutgers is the 2nd choice, but the MSU offer may make things interesting. We will see if he visits there.

Good for Shonn Greene. How many RBs are currently playing in the NFL from Iowa? None. Maybe a kid like Lovett wants to be near his friends, family, gf and civilization instead of going to a school in the cornfields of Iowa.

Good for Shonn Greene. How many RBs are currently playing in the NFL from Iowa? None. Maybe a kid like Lovett wants to be near his friends, family, gf and civilization instead of going to a school in the cornfields of Iowa.
Maybe he wants to win football games and go to bowls while playing at a legit football school too. I mean let's stop pretending New Brunswick is Malibu for a minute here.

You're about as close on this as you were on your assessment of the dire DT situation this year and next. The kid wanted to go elsewhere and it wasn't that the staff didn't pursue or want him. There is a reason there is some talk of a "possible" visit still in January and it's not because they were just bored and wanted to say hi. Ask Ryan, Nate, Fitz...or anyone that covers recruiting if he is a take. And yes while they cannot say they get info from inside...that is where most of it comes from in 2016. Both parties are smart and use the nod, nod, wink, wink method and that goes for most programs. Most think he sticks with UGa or keep your eye on Clemson too here.
Who are you responding to, LaJolla. Must be someone I ignore. Let me look at my ignore list and guess. Nate, PoolBoy or Panda?

Maybe he wants to win football games and go to bowls while playing at a legit football school too. I mean let's stop pretending New Brunswick is Malibu for a minute here.
I doubt that Iowa has the numbers issues that PSU does. If he didn't have serious interest in Rutgers as plan b, why go on the OV after decommiting?

Long ago two gorgeous girls from Iowa, and there's a lot of them, told me there's only two thongs to do in Iowa. One is to pick corn.

Iowa is a fine state though the weather can be harsh.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I doubt that Iowa has the numbers issues that PSU does. If he didn't have serious interest in Rutgers as plan b, why go on the OV after decommiting?
Huhhh, you were comparing RU to Iowa. There is no comparison there when it comes to football. PSU is tight on spots and we'll see what shakes out there.

Reactions: n1tlion
R.....E.....L.....A.....X

1 - He's just a kid
2 - It is HIGHLY likely that the "target audience" for that thing was his buddies/family/etc

Not that different from anyone else having - let's say - a Holiday get together - and sending out "e-invites".......which, I assume, is not an uncommon occurrence for anyone on the board
No no, you misinterpreted. I never fret about recruits. I like reading about recruiting but I never think a recruit is a "must get" or "have to have". I think Penn State is wonderful and can never understand why someone, with a few exceptions being Ivy's, Stanford, etc, would turn down the opportunity to come live/study/play football for free. My mind set is always that we'll get good players and field a good team.

With or without Wade we are fine, and I can say that with great confidence while looking at our commit list.

As expected, looks like OSU has finally given a committable offer to WR Jaylen Harris with a couple crystal balls going to them today. Would have liked to have him as a Lion but good luck to him.

Reactions: bmw199
Jesse James has an NFL roster spot and looked almost as bad blocking as Gesicki has (and is nowhere near as good a receiver as Gesicki). MG has another year to add weight and practice his blocking technique. I have no doubt he'll be on an NFL roster after another great season at PSU.

Yeah, but Jesse James was built like a brick poop thouse... he just lacked desire/technique to block. MG is a good receiving TE, but is wiry (at best). He needs to build up his lower and upper body with some old school methods (deadlifts, squats, clean/jerks, bench, etc.). I don't think the muscles on Gronk prevent him from running past LBs in the NFL or catching virtually everything thrown in his zip code.

Regarding the Wade process, his charging $3 bucks for a graduation party chip-in is no different than any of us charging a chip-in fee for a keg party at school.
Or my charging a guest at my hunting camp in western Pa. a $40 buck daily fee for food and lodging.
Or signing on for a "crew call" out of an eastern Ct. port on someone's off-shore sports fisherman to go out to the Gulf Stream eddies off of Montauk and Block Island to do some tuna fishing and chipping in $200 bucks for gas, bait, etc.
I hope Wade has a great party and picks us but over-all he and his family should be proud that he is graduating early and has some great schools to pick from for his next four years.

Wade played a little bit of linebacker at the beginning of the season, too. He's as versatile a recruit as we would have had in quite a while. I know it's a bad word around here, but his versatility is Peppers-esque.

How many positions can you really play at 5' 9"? I would think that more height is desired for safety and LB.

How many positions can you really play at 5' 9"? I would think that more height is desired for safety and LB.
Yeah, he is definitely locked in to being a CB only on defense. I have heard that he may even be a shade under 5'9". He is a hell of a talent, but considering his size and his class A competition, I would have him as a low four star.

Bingo

He is either a CB (David Macklin) or a FS (Ray Isom).....maybe a bit of both, over time

Yeah, he is definitely locked in to being a CB only on defense. I have heard that he may even be a shade under 5'9". He is a hell of a talent, but considering his size and his class A competition, I would have him as a low four star.
Just like Cam Brown was too tall for LB?? Can we please stop with the you need a certain body type for this position crap?

The staff he picks to play for will use him as they do. All I did was post his tweet and give my opinion.

Just like Cam Brown was too tall for LB?? Can we please stop with the you need a certain body type for this position crap?

The staff he picks to play for will use him as they do. All I did was post his tweet and give my opinion.
Do you really think that a 5'8 1/2" kid can play LB? In the Big Ten? This isn't Clairton. He's not playing against 230 lbs linemen and 170 lbs runningbacks.

Do you really think that a 5'8 1/2" kid can play LB? In the Big Ten? This isn't Clairton. He's not playing against 230 lbs linemen and 170 lbs runningbacks.
Idk what he'll weigh or how tall he'll be in 3 years. It might be the big 12 too. I suggested safety as his tweet did.

Last edited:
Regarding the Wade process, his charging $3 bucks for a graduation party chip-in is no different than any of us charging a chip-in fee for a keg party at school.
Or my charging a guest at my hunting camp in western Pa. a $40 buck daily fee for food and lodging.
Or signing on for a "crew call" out of an eastern Ct. port on someone's off-shore sports fisherman to go out to the Gulf Stream eddies off of Montauk and Block Island to do some tuna fishing and chipping in $200 bucks for gas, bait, etc.
I hope Wade has a great party and picks us but over-all he and his family should be proud that he is graduating early and has some great schools to pick from for his next four years.
I'd go but it's too near Pitts for my liking.:eek:

Wade already debunked this.

Sam Mills 5'9". 5 time Pro Bowler.
I mean, Sam Mills didn't play FBS football. Nor did he make it in the NFL right away. He also happened to be 232 lbs and was one of the widest individuals on the field. He was never built like Wade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT