ADVERTISEMENT

2018-2019 English Premier League thread

I know, I posted that before the CL semi. But saying “yeah your team beat us, but only because we suck so you basically suck too” is the epitome of sour grapes. Tottenham is finishing top 4 in one of the EPLs greatest years ever. I feel no shame.
Let's be clear....Spurs will finish ahead of Arsenal this season. But, at no point in the league did Spurs "beat" Arsenal. 4-2!!! COYG!!! :D

For me, absolutely. College and the EPL are on level footing. NFL is a step below. I'd rather watch Burnley vs. Huddersfield than Bengals vs. Browns any day of the week and definitely twice on Sunday!! I knwo I'm in the minority. Hell, I love watching MLS as well. Although, my Red Bulls are off to a slow start.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Let's be clear....Spurs will finish ahead of Arsenal this season. But, at no point in the league did Spurs "beat" Arsenal. 4-2!!! COYG!!! :D

True, that’ll eat at me about the same as the Patriots having to know they never beat the Steelers this season! ;)

For me, absolutely. College and the EPL are on level footing. NFL is a step below. I'd rather watch Burnley vs. Huddersfield than Bengals vs. Browns any day of the week and definitely twice on Sunday!! I knwo I'm in the minority. Hell, I love watching MLS as well. Although, my Red Bulls are off to a slow start.

Very good sir!

mail

Get your tickets now!!

I refuse to go to Notre Dame to watch them play!!

Reactions: Thus Spoke Mainer
Wiped the floor? The kids dominated Tottenham for 140 of the 180 minutes of both legs.

Two match totals:

Possession 55.5% Tottenham, 44.5% Ajax

Shots (on goal): Tottenham- 36 (8), Ajax- 26 (6)

Corners: Tottenham 12, Ajax 9

Yellow Cards: Tottenham 2, Ajax 5

But yeah, Ajax dominated 140 of the minutes :rolleyes:

Reactions: MJG-90
Two match totals:

Possession 55.5% Tottenham, 44.5% Ajax

Shots (on goal): Tottenham- 36 (8), Ajax- 26 (6)

Corners: Tottenham 12, Ajax 9

Yellow Cards: Tottenham 2, Ajax 5

But yeah, Ajax dominated 140 of the minutes :rolleyes:

Try watching the games.

Wait, they’re on TV? I thought this was a computer simulation. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem. Then you can know what you are talking about next time you talk about a game. It wasn’t considered one of the greatest comebacks in history because Tottenham was beating them badly. That wouldn’t make sense.

No problem. Then you can know what you are talking about next time you talk about a game. It wasn’t considered one of the greatest comebacks in history because Tottenham was beating them badly. That wouldn’t make sense.

I did watch, and I think the better side won, and I don’t think they were dominated for 140 minutes. We don’t have to see it the same way. The comeback was amazing because they needed 3 goals, not because of the flow of the games. The Patriots comeback against the Falcons wasn’t incredible because the Falcons dominated 50 minutes.

It was a joke until recently. The winner now gets an automatic Champions League berth. So it means a lot more to Woolwich than to Chelsea.

Reactions: PSUoh90
So I see the Europa League is an all English final also (Chelsea/Arsenal).

I liken this to the NIT? Is this is important tournament/game or a joke more or less?
The winner gets an automatic entry to next season's champions league (group stage). Could mean a 5th EPL team in the CL (if the winner finished outside top 4in EPL).

Reactions: PSUoh90

I liken this to the NIT? Is this is important tournament/game or a joke more or less?
The winner gets an automatic entry to next season's champions league (group stage). Could mean a 5th EPL team in the CL (if the winner finished outside top 4in EPL).
Yes, and in this sense the EL Championship is much more important to Arsenal than Chelsea, since Chelsea has qualified for next year's Champions League and Arsenal has not.

Any chance that Chelsea tanks the Europa championship to get the 5th EPL team in? (like Alabama losing to Auburn in 2017 to get another SEC team into the CFB playoffs except that also gave them a bye)

As others mentioned, winning any European trophy is meaningful, and especially so for Arsenal here in order to get in the CL.

But as to quality, your NIT comparison is a good one. The top teams from each European League play in the Champions League, and the next tier down plays in Europa (so in the EPL, the top 4 go to Champions, next 2 go to Europa). Now in later stages some Champions League teams that lose choose to drop down into Europa, so the level of competition gets even greater after the group stage.

Reactions: PSUoh90 and LionJim
This has been a good thread. As I've mentioned a couple times, I'm not a futbol expert but plenty of you are and it's been fun reading and learning.

I'm going to be really rooting hard for Brighton on Sunday, just because. It would be a fitting end to an unbelievable week in the English Premier League.

Reactions: PSUoh90 and TheGLOV
Brighton vs. Manchester City is on NBCSN.

Liverpool vs. Watford is on NBC.

Tottenham vs. Everton is on Syfy.

:D

Last edited:
In case you missed it, Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk was named this year's EPL Player of the Season. He is the second straight Liverpool player to win it, as Mo Salah took the award last year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT