ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

These two are the best reporters covering PSU imo.

fETMbYH.gif
No doubt with Ryan on the DEN being a 1a to Fitz.

We've got to get over Fields...I know I am but I'll leave this here for thought.

Justin being quoted:
“It definitely has my mind spinning with all these schools coming at me,” Fields told Sentell on Friday. “But it is definitely just a great feeling to get this recognition from these schools. I’m actually seeing all this hard work pay off. It is great to see all these colleges come for me. That is really what I always wanted.”
https://www.landof10.com/penn-state...-relationship-nittany-lions-sec-possibilities

Recruiting Coordinator EJ Barthel seems to respond:

And of course we should have expected this type of response to the whole mess:

It's hard to get more shallow...

I wonder what Riot thinks about all this?

We've got to get over Fields...I know I am but I'll leave this here for thought.

Justin being quoted:
“It definitely has my mind spinning with all these schools coming at me,” Fields told Sentell on Friday. “But it is definitely just a great feeling to get this recognition from these schools. I’m actually seeing all this hard work pay off. It is great to see all these colleges come for me. That is really what I always wanted.”
https://www.landof10.com/penn-state...-relationship-nittany-lions-sec-possibilities

Good God, man, we get it: you don't like Parsons and think he's a bad kid. You've made that perfectly clear already.

Justin being quoted:

Switching is what the LeBron generation does; the Steph Curry generation gets the best to play with you. Won't miss Fields or Parsons - good luck gents.

Reactions: artsandletters

Justin being quoted:

Good God, man, we get it: you don't like Parsons and think he's a bad kid. You've made that perfectly clear already.
It would appear Parsons is insinuating we are not one of the best teams... well I hope Frankling and Barkley and co go out this fall and show the world we are exactly that, the BEST team.

That would be ridiculous.... unless he really wasn't number 1 before, and I doubt that very much. He is every bit as good a QB/person now as he was when he was committed to Penn State.

The important phrase here is was committed. I haven't trashed him, nor will I; saying he might no longer be the top choice may simply mean that Franklin doesn't expect Fields to recommit to PSU. Considering some of Fields' comments on social media, that's probably a good assumption.

Parsons is saying that it is the recruit's choice where to go. He is right. If he wants to go to the program that he believes has the best chance to win a national championship, that is his choice. The problem is that these players verbal and then people take it as a commitment. They are not committed until they sign. Some of these players commit too early and then their recruiting blows up and all of a sudden they have more options.

People get caught up in all this top 5 stuff in June. Let's see where PSU is in Dec and Feb. Stars are great for discussion and illustrates how a program is perceived, but the stars don't matter after recruits sign as they have to prove themselves against college level players.

Reactions: Pride

Justin being quoted:

Would be nice to see "there" instead of "their."

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
It would appear Parsons is insinuating we are not one of the best teams... well I hope Frankling and Barkley and co go out this fall and show the world we are exactly that, the BEST team.
I really don't think Parsons is even talking about Fields or Penn State - that tweet was sent several days before Fields decommitted. I'm 99% sure he's talking about Kevin Durant going from the Thunder to the Warriors, considering it was sent on the same night as the NBA Finals.

Penn State 2019 QB recruit sees fit at PSU; analyst likes Lions' odds of finding Justin Fields replacement, and more

Posted on June 8, 2017 at 7:25 AM
22868565-mmmain.jpg

Penn State 2019 recruiting target Max Duggan, a four-star quarterback from Lewis Central (Iowa) High School.(Photo courtesy 247Sports)
By Dustin Hockensmith
dhockensmith@pennlive.com

Today's Penn State football news headlines feature a sit-down with 2019 recruiting target Max Duggan and more on the fallout from five-star quarterback Justin Fields' decommitment.

Duggan received a Penn State offer over the weekend after camping with the Nittany Lions. He's a four-star prospect from Lewis Central High School in Iowa, who stands at 6-2 and 175 pounds. Duggan has a similar skill set to other quarterbacks James Franklin has recruited with mobility, competitiveness and the ability to push the ball down the field.

Duggan sees a fit with the Nittany Lions, he told Land of 10's Tyler Donohue.

"Coach Moorhead and I got to watch film together for about an hour," Duggan told Land of 10. "We went over their philosophy and what they look for in a quarterback. I'm similar to the quarterbacks Penn State has right now. What they do in the offense -- RPOs (run-pass option), extending plays with mobility and throwing the ball downfield -- is everything that's in my game."

Fields announced Tuesday evening his decommitment from Penn State, which was a looming issue for weeks as the Georgia dual-threat received more and more attention from other suitors. 247Sports analyst Barton Simmons sent two notes of reassurance to Nittany Nation, noting the talent pool in the 2018 class and Penn State's ability to turn less heralded quarterbacks into stars.

I really don't think Parsons is even talking about Fields or Penn State - that tweet was sent several days before Fields decommitted. I'm 99% sure he's talking about Kevin Durant going from the Thunder to the Warriors, considering it was sent on the same night as the NBA Finals.

Exactly.

Micah's also sent out *deeper* messages, like this:

Anyway, hyperanalyzing selective tweets isn't doing anyone any good - particularly when looking to affirm negative beliefs. Shaquon Anderson-Butts has already tried to excuse the morons trashing Micah on twitter by explaining that all fan bases have their share of idiots. If Micah used twitter to gauge hospitality, OSU would look a lot more hospitable right now than PSU. Of course, the roles would be reversed if Micah decommitted from OSU.

One of the big selling points for Penn State has always been our fan base, alumni and family environment. Going up against these winning-at-all-costs programs is tough enough, so let's not make CJF's job harder by turning our positives into negatives. Sometimes families fight, but home is always home. By all accounts, Micah and his father are returning to campus soon. If CJF wants them in the family, let's welcome them home.

Micah's also sent out *deeper* messages, like this:

Anyway, hyperanalyzing selective tweets isn't doing anyone any good - particularly when looking to affirm negative beliefs. Shaquon Anderson-Butts has already tried to excuse the morons trashing Micah on twitter by explaining that all fan bases have their share of idiots. If Micah used twitter to gauge hospitality, OSU would look a lot more hospitable right now than PSU. Of course, the roles would be reversed if Micah decommitted from OSU.

One of the big selling points for Penn State has always been our fan base, alumni and family environment. Going up against these winning-at-all-costs programs is tough enough, so let's not make CJF's job harder by turning our positives into negatives. Sometimes families fight, but home is always home. By all accounts, Micah and his father are returning to campus soon. If CJF wants them in the family, let's welcome them home.

What, exactly, is Penn State material?

Answer = Those that WANT to be at Penn State and subsequently represent our university well.

You all can make your own judgement about the formerly mentioned high school athlete.

Did U see all the CB's for Florida and Auburn now for young Mr. Fields??

$EC
$EC
$EC

Thank you Mr. Fields!! (Daddy dearest)
Kind of a cynical look at Field's decision process, GLOV. There can be many reasons for such a change, so we don't know for sure.

That said, I have a hunch you've hit on an important rea$on.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Leary was surprised by the Fields development. He may have been even more wowed by what happened next.

A wave of outreach has come from Penn State since Fields, a 5-star recruit, ended his six-month pledge. This includes staff members (Franklin, offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead and offensive recruiting coordinator Josh Gattis) and future Nittany Lions (2017 signee and fellow New Jersey product Fred Hansard, along with 2018 pledges Pat Freiermuth and Jesse Luketa).

Momentum indicates an offer may arrive any moment, 11 months after Leary hoped to secure it on campus.

“That would be huge for me,” he said. “If Penn State extended an offer to me and finally sees my ability to play quarterback, that’s something I’d really respect and like a lot.

Leary, whose brother is a graduate of Penn State, understands his recruiting process could become a bit more complicated as things progress.

“I’m a hard commit to N.C. State right now,” he said. “This is something I’ll need to sit down and talk about with my parents and coaches. Just to discuss my opportunities. I’m not sure where it’s going to go from here "

Along with Penn State, Leary explained dialogue has also developed with Florida, Georgia and Louisville since his Elite 11 performance.

“It feels like I’m starting to open up a lot of eyes,” he said. “Not just in New Jersey, but nationally. That’s something I knew I was capable of, and I’m glad it showed at Elite 11.”

Leary compiled the No. 1 overall pro-day workout score Saturday, besting a collection of 24 other passers expected to play Power 5 football. He drew rave reviews from veteran Elite 11 coach Quincy Avery.

“Devin is supremely talented,” Avery said. “He was spitting nothing but fireballs out his arm the whole entire time. You walked away from his pro-day performance and knew exactly why he was there. It was impressive to watch.”

Leary, who recently received a well-deserved bump into 4-star territory in 247Sports’ 2018 composite rankings, also learned a lot about leadership during the three-day event.

“You have to lead by example in everything you do, from attending meetings, being vocal in practice and earning everyone’s belief so they’ll follow you,” he said.

Some of that lesson was served up by camp counselor Trace McSorley, who enjoyed a record-breaking redshirt sophomore season at Penn State in 2016. Leary also heard about McSorley’s recruitment, which featured an initial commitment to Vanderbilt.

It’s also worth noting that Leary has developed a solid connection with Penn State wide receiver pledge Justin Shorter, a top-10 receiver in the composite rankings. They shared several reps this spring while attending The Opening’s New Jersey regional and an Under Armour All-America camp series stop in the Garden State.

“Justin is the type of receiver who can get open no matter what,” Leary said May 21 after the Under Armour camp. “It seems as if wherever you throw the ball — even if it’s behind him or a little above his head — he’s going to come down with it. As a quarterback, a guy like him makes your job 10 times easier.”

Expect Penn State to make a decision about his position on the team’s 2018 target board soon. Leary plans to return to N.C. State with Timber Creek teammates on June 24.

Pretty sure folks at PSU coaches had an idea this was likely when they visited him. Wasn't long before the decommit. Who knows what parsons knew or when, or what he was talking about.

A commitment is not a commitment until the ink is dry on a LOI. No other way to look at it these days. Kinda foolish for educated adults to waste time trying to decipher the jibberish in tweets composed by high school kids. PSU will have a fine class once all the LOIs are received. That's when I'll start paying serious attention. In the meantime, I hope all these kids find the fit that is best for them, be it PSU or some other school.

Leary was surprised by the Fields development. He may have been even more wowed by what happened next.

A wave of outreach has come from Penn State since Fields, a 5-star recruit, ended his six-month pledge. This includes staff members (Franklin, offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead and offensive recruiting coordinator Josh Gattis) and future Nittany Lions (2017 signee and fellow New Jersey product Fred Hansard, along with 2018 pledges Pat Freiermuth and Jesse Luketa).

Momentum indicates an offer may arrive any moment, 11 months after Leary hoped to secure it on campus.

“That would be huge for me,” he said. “If Penn State extended an offer to me and finally sees my ability to play quarterback, that’s something I’d really respect and like a lot.

Leary, whose brother is a graduate of Penn State, understands his recruiting process could become a bit more complicated as things progress.

“I’m a hard commit to N.C. State right now,” he said. “This is something I’ll need to sit down and talk about with my parents and coaches. Just to discuss my opportunities. I’m not sure where it’s going to go from here "

Along with Penn State, Leary explained dialogue has also developed with Florida, Georgia and Louisville since his Elite 11 performance.

“It feels like I’m starting to open up a lot of eyes,” he said. “Not just in New Jersey, but nationally. That’s something I knew I was capable of, and I’m glad it showed at Elite 11.”

Leary compiled the No. 1 overall pro-day workout score Saturday, besting a collection of 24 other passers expected to play Power 5 football. He drew rave reviews from veteran Elite 11 coach Quincy Avery.

“Devin is supremely talented,” Avery said. “He was spitting nothing but fireballs out his arm the whole entire time. You walked away from his pro-day performance and knew exactly why he was there. It was impressive to watch.”

Leary, who recently received a well-deserved bump into 4-star territory in 247Sports’ 2018 composite rankings, also learned a lot about leadership during the three-day event.

“You have to lead by example in everything you do, from attending meetings, being vocal in practice and earning everyone’s belief so they’ll follow you,” he said.

Some of that lesson was served up by camp counselor Trace McSorley, who enjoyed a record-breaking redshirt sophomore season at Penn State in 2016. Leary also heard about McSorley’s recruitment, which featured an initial commitment to Vanderbilt.

It’s also worth noting that Leary has developed a solid connection with Penn State wide receiver pledge Justin Shorter, a top-10 receiver in the composite rankings. They shared several reps this spring while attending The Opening’s New Jersey regional and an Under Armour All-America camp series stop in the Garden State.

“Justin is the type of receiver who can get open no matter what,” Leary said May 21 after the Under Armour camp. “It seems as if wherever you throw the ball — even if it’s behind him or a little above his head — he’s going to come down with it. As a quarterback, a guy like him makes your job 10 times easier.”

Expect Penn State to make a decision about his position on the team’s 2018 target board soon. Leary plans to return to N.C. State with Timber Creek teammates on June 24.

I'd like to see them pull the trigger on Leary sooner than later. From everything I read, he was better than Patterson at Elite 11. Leary had the best pro day workout score of any player at the Elite 11 and missed the score Tua Tagovailoa put up last year by only 1 point.

FWIW, nobody at at Elite 11 separated themselves like Tagovailoa did last year.

Patterson put up huge rushing numbers and has a big size advantage, but Leary is the better passer and was described as the best "gun slinger" at the Elite 11 camp. His 6'1 size is the only thing holding him back from being a national recruit. Penn State can live with a 6'1 QB.

Pretty sure folks at PSU coaches had an idea this was likely when they visited him. Wasn't long before the decommit. Who knows what parsons knew or when, or what he was talking about.
I just scrolled back through his twitter feed to the night that was posted. All of his other posts that night were about game two of the NBA Finals, and how Durant and James both left teams for others that gave them a better chance of winning - so while I guess it's impossible to get inside the kid's head to know for sure, I think it's a safe bet that he's talking about something entirely unrelated to Penn State.

Reactions: Pride
That ship has sailed. "It is great to see all these colleges come for me. That is really what I always wanted.”
Putting aside my difficulty in finding anything wrong with that quote, Chitown is talking about Parsons. You're quoting Fields.

Great to have Hardy back on campus. How are we looking with Friday? This could be a DL haul for the ages.

Let's be honest, IF Moorhead sticks around we would have any QB with half a brain lined up to play under him. And if he's not a 4 or 5 star JoMo can develop him so I'm not worried about that either see Stevens and Trace.

Reactions: masterbaker65
I just scrolled back through his twitter feed to the night that was posted. All of his other posts that night were about game two of the NBA Finals, and how Durant and James both left teams for others that gave them a better chance of winning - so while I guess it's impossible to get inside the kid's head to know for sure, I think it's a safe bet that he's talking about something entirely unrelated to Penn State.
Sounds right

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT