ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

You know what, I'm done following this nonsense until the season meaningfully kicks into gear. Get the kids up here closer to the date and let them see all PSU has to offer. The game atmosphere is what really sells them anyway. Where we are now is just messing around. No sense getting worked up about ANY of this until the leaves gave changed color and Desmond is wowing up with his commentary.

Reactions: LionJim and TheGLOV
TIFWIW. A couple of tidbits for you gentlemen.

Leary in the process of setting up a summer visit to PSU. If offered he will commit - he has said as much to his HS coach in the past. NCST coaching staff getting very nervous.

Parsons trending back towards PSU as of this past weekend. Let's just say the visits went very well. Franklin doing a great job of selling the 'home state hero" storyline. Parsons has a huge ego, Franklin's psychology background coming out in full force here. Franklin taking a new route to earning his re-committment.

Trent Gordon is on decommit watch. He may have committed too quick in the wake of a great visit. Many think he may take a step back and open things up. If UT comes calling, he will likely jump at the offer.

Nana Asiedu mulling taking his official visits with family. Clemson still pushing hard, UTenn/Bama turning up the heat. Nothing to be concerned about until he decides to take a visit.

Lots of negative recruiting picking up against PSU in regards to losing Fields and the class not having the #1 QB prospect to pitch at recruits.

Sources? SEC Forums? As far as Parsons, he was at PSU two times last week as we all know, but he is not trending towards PSU. You are throwing up alot of stuff against the wall and hoping something sticks.

Reactions: TheGLOV
You know what, I'm done following this nonsense until the season meaningfully kicks into gear. Get the kids up here closer to the date and let them see all PSU has to offer. The game atmosphere is what really sells them anyway. Where we are now is just messing around. No sense getting worked up about ANY of this until the leaves gave changed color and Desmond is wowing up with his commentary.

I am starting to feel the same sir.

Let's get back to being board friends.

Offer extended,......................................

It actually is far more relevant than you claim as the current Leary situation proves. Fields is still mentioning PSU in his top 2....this may or may not stall an offer to Leary. In James Franklin & Co. I trust, but at what point does he cut the cord and make the offer to Leary? (there have been persistent rumors since forever that if PSU makes an offer, Leary is taking it).

Leary in the process of setting up a summer visit to PSU. If offered he will commit - he has said as much to his HS coach in the past. NCST coaching staff getting very nervous.

Parsons trending back towards PSU as of this past weekend. Let's just say the visits went very well. Franklin doing a great job of selling the 'home state hero" storyline. Parsons has a huge ego, Franklin's psychology background coming out in full force here. Franklin taking a new route to earning his re-committment.

Trent Gordon is on decommit watch. He may have committed too quick in the wake of a great visit. Many think he may take a step back and open things up. If UT comes calling, he will likely jump at the offer.

Nana Asiedu mulling taking his official visits with family. Clemson still pushing hard, UTenn/Bama turning up the heat. Nothing to be concerned about until he decides to take a visit.

Lots of negative recruiting picking up against PSU in regards to losing Fields and the class not having the #1 QB prospect to pitch at recruits.

IMO, while it WAS great to have a #1 QB prospect, we are still on schedule to have a great recruiting year!

It actually is far more relevant than you claim as the current Leary situation proves. Fields is still mentioning PSU in his top 2....this may or may not stall an offer to Leary. In James Franklin & Co. I trust, but at what point does he cut the cord and make the offer to Leary? (there have been persistent rumors since forever that if PSU makes an offer, Leary is taking it).

If you can grab another Elite 11 QB, I don't think it's much of a decision. JF and Moorehead threw everything into recruiting Fields, constant texting to the son and father, etc. Fields blew it up. You can't wait around with hat in hand hoping he comes back like a sucka'. Very, very few decommitts turn around and recommitt. 5%?

Go get the guy who wants to be here.

kraken if you want to continue the debate, take it out of this thread and into this:
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-decommit-thread.175673/

Little more complicated than that as Field's recent statement where he still lists us in his top two......and THIS ARTICLE FROM 2 DAYS AGO ("Nittany Lions offer would be huge", says Devin Leary) demonstrate! Gee, why don't you send a LTE complaining about them mentioning the commitment and decommitment of Fields in the article and how it has been intertwined with, and unfairly excessively complicated, PSU's recruitment of Leary from the get go! By all means, please do include your absurd bloviation as to how none of this has anything to do with the recruitment of Fields, Leary and PSU 2018 Recruiting.....LMFAO. :rolleyes:o_O:confused:

Reactions: TheGLOV and ftlpsu
If you can grab another Elite 11 QB, I don't think it's much of a decision. JF and Moorehead threw everything into recruiting Fields, constant texting to the son and father, etc. Fields blew it up. You can't wait around with hat in hand hoping he comes back like a sucka'. Very, very few decommitts turn around and recommitt. 5%?

84eba6ce56dccca33ecc8ecf2dc3b2c74a48438a3f32e0204c298ab29aae0f58.jpg

I don't disagree, but I think you just have to trust CJF & Co. on this one. There is no question that Fields' latest statement about PSU being in his top 2 could have an impact on an offer to Leary.....because Leary has basically said multiple times that he would jump on a PSU Offer (i.e., I'm not sure the PSU Staff has extended that offer yet and there is only one reason IMHO you wouldn't do that given Leary's performance at the recent Elite 11 trials and his new standing as an Elite 11 QB).

Since a lot is changing I might as well throw out an opinion:
--Take Leary and be happy. Fields will probably stay in the south.
--Gordon could easily flip and stay in the southwest. There are other DBs.
--Keep Parsons visiting and give him lots of reasons to choose us.
--Bust our butt to keep Asiedu, the guy looks like a grown man already.

Can we get this back on information on recruiting. Start another thread on the definition of commitment. Thanks

Yea, the recruitment of Leary and Fields..... and how Fields' commitment, decommitment and latest freshly minted public statement that PSU is in his Top 2 along with FSU totally fouling and unfairly complicating PSU's recruitment of Leary (and Quincy Patterson for that matter who PSU was also on early) has nothing whatsoever to do with PSU's "2018 Recruiting"??? Okay, whatever you say Einstein....how on earth someone can be so braindead to call these subjects "off topic" in a thread labeled "2018 Recruiting" is quite spectacular even on just the "moron-only scale".

Since a lot is changing I might as well throw out an opinion:
--Take Leary and be happy. Fields will probably stay in the south.
--Gordon could easily flip and stay in the southwest. There are other DBs.
--Keep Parsons visiting and give him lots of reasons to choose us.
--Bust our butt to keep Asiedu, the guy looks like a grown man already.

My hunch is that we are Top 2 for CB Houston Griffith, he's something like the composite #50 overall recruit. With the way recruiting is these days, you just keep recruiting until LOI day and see what you end up with.

The other good news is that we've really gotten past the point where we have giant depth chart holes that have to be filled. You want to keep stacking talent on top of talent, class after class, but a miss on a position one year isn't going to be a killer. You can go after that position hard the following class. Not saying that I'm worried about CB with 8 months to go to LOI day.

Reactions: Option Bob
I don't disagree, but I think you just have to trust CJF & Co. on this one. There is no question that Fields' latest statement about PSU being in his top 2 could have an impact on an offer to Leary.....because Leary has basically said multiple times that he would jump on a PSU Offer (i.e., I'm not sure the PSU Staff has extended that offer yet and there is only one reason IMHO you wouldn't do that given Leary's performance at the recent Elite 11 trials and his new standing as an Elite 11 QB).

Looks like Fields was asked a specific question about which school or schools fit him best in regards to their offense and depth chart. That's not him naming a "Top 2". Apparently Cam Newton has been advising him about his recruiting situation and Auburn is now a big player. Quelle surprise.

Reactions: bmw199
Its like a game of telephone here....Fields has not put us in his Top 2. Not sure why that keeps coming up.

This statement:
"(Fields saying) best fits for him depth chart and offensively are #FSU and #PSU -- interesting"
does not mean we are his Top 2.

He told one reporter that he thinks best fits for him depth chart and offensively include us. If he told another reporter the best fits for him location and family-wise I doubt we'd get mentioned. More to his college choice than depth chart and offensive system.

EDIT: Judge beat me by a couple seconds. What he said. :)

Looks like Fields was asked a specific question about which school or schools fit him best in regards to their offense and depth chart. That's not him naming a "Top 2". Apparently Cam Newton has been advising him about his recruiting situation and Auburn is now a big player. Quelle surprise.

Yea, but you never know what he's saying to PSU's staff if that is what he is saying to the media that follow "college recruiting". It is still very unclear if PSU has actually offered Leary yet and that is inexplicable, but for one reason, given Leary's stated love of PSU from the get go (his brother went to PSU) and his new-found "Elite 11" status.

Yea, but you never know what he's saying to PSU's staff if that is what he is saying to the media that follow "college recruiting". It is still very unclear if PSU has actually offered Leary yet and that is inexplicable, but for one reason, given Leary's stated love of PSU from the get go (his brother went to PSU) and his new-found "Elite 11" status.

If he wanted to go to Penn State, he'd still be verbaled to Penn State. All along, we (including Fitz, Pickel, etc) assumed he was going to take some visits and that would be when the rubber hit the road. He didn't even wait to take visits to decommitt from PSU. I'd put the chances that he recommitted to Penn State before he took all his official visits at about .000007%. How can Penn State wait around until November or December to see if he chooses us again? We would absolutely end up with nothing or scraps at that point when he most likely chooses someone else.

If that is the route that JF chooses to go, I'll trust him as well. I'd just be surprised if he does that.

I think JF will try to get Leary back on campus where he offers him. If he wouldn't make a visit, no use offering. And if he makes the visit as a committed recruit, we'll be able to flip him.

Last edited:
A bird in hand is worth two in bush. Sometimes. Unless the bird flies away.

I don't blame O'Brien for hating recruiting.

Reactions: We Are . . .
Pennlive

BY DUSTIN HOCKENSMITH

dhockensmith@pennlive.com

Today's Penn State football news headlines feature a look at the recruitment of four-star quarterback Devin Leary and a pair of visits from former PSU commit Micah Parsons.

Tyler Donohue from Land of 10 has a good look at the history between Penn State and Leary, a 6-2, 190-pound NC State commit from Timber Creek (N.J.) High School. Leary said he's gotten more attention from the Lions staff since five-star quarterback Justin Fields decommitted earlier this week. He added that a Penn State offer would be "huge."

"I'm a hard commit to NC State right now," Leary told Land of 10. "This is something I'll need to sit down and talk about with my parents and coaches. Just to discuss my opportunities. I'm not sure where it's going to go from here."

Parsons has been on Penn State's campus twice in a week, starting with a below-the-radar appearance at the Lions' camp last weekend. Blue-White Illustrated's Ryan Snyder has more on the Parsons visit ($). The Harrisburg High product decommitted at the end of Blue-White weekend in April and narrowed his list of top schools to nine at the end of May.

In other Penn State football news, StateCollege.com's Mike Poorman looks at the Lions' recent history of quarterback decommitments. Ryne Gery of the Centre Daily Times has a feature on 2017 wide receiver signee Mac Hippenhammer, and Land of 10's Jeremy Birmingham has the latest in the Ohio State-Penn State battle for Jayson Oweh.

If he wanted to go to Penn State, he'd still be verbaled to Penn State. All along, we (including Fitz, Pickel, etc) assumed he was going to take some visits and that would be when the rubber hit the road. He didn't even wait to take visits to decommitt from PSU. I'd put the chances that he recommitted to Penn State before he took all his official visits at about .000007%. How can Penn State wait around until November or December to see if he chooses us again? We would absolutely end up with nothing or scraps at that point when he most likely chooses someone else.

If that is the route that JF chooses to go, I'll trust him as well. I'd just be surprised if he does that.

Again, don't disagree with anything you're saying - or what I would do if the decision were mine. Just saying that is very surprising that PSU does not seem to have officially offered DL yet....almost shocking given Leary's recent Elite 11 performance and public comments regarding PSU. I can only think of one factor that is a delaying an offer to DL.....PSU's ongoing communications with JF. Again, if it were me, I "cut bait" immediately under the tried-and-true axiom: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice.....ain't happen'en!!!".

Last edited:
Again, don't disagree with anything you're saying - or what I would do if the decision were mine. Just saying that is very surprising that PSU does not seem to have officially offered DL yet....almost shocking given Leary's recent Elite 11 performance and public comments regarding PSU. I can only think of one factor that is a delaying an offer to DL.....PSU's ongoing communications with JF. Again, if it were me, I "cut bait" immediately under the tried-and-true axiom: "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.....ain't happen'en!!!".

See my edit above. I think they get him on campus to offer him.

Again, don't disagree with anything you're saying - or what I would do if the decision were mine. Just saying that is very surprising that PSU does not seem to have officially offered DL yet....almost shocking given Leary's recent Elite 11 performance and public comments regarding PSU. I can only think of one factor that is a delaying an offer to DL.....PSU's ongoing communications with JF. Again, if it were me, I "cut bait" immediately under the tried-and-true axiom: "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.....ain't happen'en!!!".
I believe they "The Staff" are delaying or "Slow Playing" this as I would...multiple reasons;

1. If you offer LEARY-you are basically telling JF see ya
2. We have time on our hands as the season hasn't even started
3. JF may still be strong possibility as NO ONE KNOWS the relationship dynamics or how the parting was arranged/agreed on.
4. Safer more conservative approach as to not offer Leary and JF later decides hey I want to come too.
5. We have leverage vs. NC State as we are the better place for multiple reasons.
6. Aren't we deep at QB anyway? Perhaps we safe the ship for another position (unless JF of course )

Lastly, I like that we aren't quickly signing or going after another QB....makes us look desperate and moreover weren't sincere with JF in the first place....

I believe they "The Staff" are delaying or "Slow Playing" this as I would...multiple reasons;

1. If you offer LEARY-you are basically telling JF see ya
2. We have time on our hands as the season hasn't even started
3. JF may still be strong possibility as NO ONE KNOWS the relationship dynamics or how the parting was arranged/agreed on.
4. Safer more conservative approach as to not offer Leary and JF later decides hey I want to come too.
5. We have leverage vs. NC State as we are the better place for multiple reasons.
6. Aren't we deep at QB anyway? Perhaps we safe the ship for another position (unless JF of course )

Lastly, I like that we aren't quickly signing or going after another QB....makes us look desperate and moreover weren't sincere with JF in the first place....

Ummmmm, given DL's recent Elite 11 trials performance.......NO. Given his recent performance at his Regional, he made the Elite 11 Finals and is likely a top 5 national recruit at QB. Your closing paragraph is particularly absurd imho as the following article demonstrates:

Last thing I'm concerned about is how someone I may offer will offend someone who just decommitted. Fields is gone. Get the best qb available.
Nothing to do with offending someone has everything to do with being real and creating a great brand and reputation as a Head coach IMHO

Reactions: LionJim

That's right, make your pitch, then sit back and let the prospects come to you. Don't spend every waking hour/resources trying to keep or fish for a kid that could or could not be playing you. This way you get the best dudes for the program who will run through a brick wall for both the coaches and teammates. To bad all recruits weren't like Simmons and his mom

I know, I know, this is just simply NOT how it's always going to work. Not a perfect world by any means...

Reactions: LionJim
Little more complicated than that as Field's recent statement where he still lists us in his top two......and THIS ARTICLE FROM 2 DAYS AGO ("Nittany Lions offer would be huge", says Devin Leary) demonstrate! Gee, why don't you send a LTE complaining about them mentioning the commitment and decommitment of Fields in the article and how it has been intertwined with, and unfairly excessively complicated, PSU's recruitment of Leary from the get go! By all means, please do include your absurd bloviation as to how none of this has anything to do with the recruitment of Fields, Leary and PSU 2018 Recruiting.....LMFAO. :rolleyes:o_O:confused:

Here is the latest Leary / Fields article just published a couple hours ago....enjoy:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT