ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Looks like Fields was asked a specific question about which school or schools fit him best in regards to their offense and depth chart. That's not him naming a "Top 2". Apparently Cam Newton has been advising him about his recruiting situation and Auburn is now a big player. Quelle surprise.
THIS times 1000. I believe this was all about Cam being in his ear. It's actually one reason that this could be the rare exception of a recommit. Once the NFL season starts and he stops playing for Cam's 7 on 7 team, BUT I wouldn't count on that at all. It will be interesting if we do offer Leary this summer or say we want to see his sr season and just recruit the heck out of him without offering. Idk it's a $4 million problem

It sounds good, but it seems that he is not as mobile as perhaps we'd like him to be. Am I wrong about that?

How do they recruit someone without offering him, and not piss them off? If he plays well enough to get an offer from us, chances are we won't be the only ones offering.

The big picture here is -- Penn State is genuinely a QB destination because of the offense Franklin and Moorhead run and the quality of athletes at the other offensive positions. It's an extremely QB friendly program.

Over the years Joe got some great QBs to sign with him but the record of success was mixed, and a lot of top QB prospects in Pa. and NJ never considered PSU because the offense was not QB friendly and so many great prospects crashed and burned.

It's an awesome thing to see PSU lose a top QB and almost immediately other top QB prospects are "thrilled" at the prospect of a PSU offer. As a PSU fan, this is such a new experience, I can hardly believe it.

The one thing Fields did right was decommit now, relatively early in the cycle. Things are still fluid with other QBs and the PSU coaches don't have to be in emergency mode -- they can take their time and be certain before they make the next batch of offers.

Reactions: Ct. Lion and royboy
It sounds good, but it seems that he is not as mobile as perhaps we'd like him to be. Am I wrong about that?

he is in a high school system that he doesn't run because they play 4 wide shotgun and just throw the ball. he is pretty good athletic, he can scramble. But his team does not RPO or any QB runs. He is a passer first with a A+ arm. His high school Timber Creek turns out FBS & FCS players on a yearly basis.

he is in a high school system that he doesn't run because they play 4 wide shotgun and just throw the ball. he is pretty good athletic, he can scramble. But his team does not RPO or any QB runs. He is a passer first with a A+ arm. His high school Timber Creek turns out FBS & FCS players on a yearly basis.
Did you watch his junior year highlights on Hudl? He can run the ball and would be fine in the RPO. He may not be the best runner but he's an outstanding passer. But yeah, he's definitely pass first in their offense. 48 TDs last season is very impressive to say the least. IIRC, he was Gatorade POY for NJ as a junior.

Reactions: broey1
What a cesspool recruiting has become. I believe the newly instituted early signing period will only engender more early decommits. The pressure on these kids must be at a new, all time high as the defrocked suitors try to regain ground prior to December.

IMHO, the early signing period already HAS and WILL, further devalue "verbal" commitments. The sharks are baring their teeth in June, not in December/January anymore.

You seem to be as big a drama queen as of the some recruits.

There is no pressure for top recruits that get to know the college coaches and make a decision and then just stick with it.......

The only pressure is on recruits that feel they will lose a spot in a class of their top choice if they wait. And the early signing period will allow them to make that decision or roll the dice. Their choice. But if a school is really their top choice they will reserve their spot and it will be their in any reputable program. If they choose to "roll the dice" with unethical coaches that dump committed recruits from their class, then that's on the kids at this point as those coaches are easily identified.....

Last edited:
It actually is far more relevant than you claim as the current Leary situation proves. Fields is still mentioning PSU in his top 2....this may or may not stall an offer to Leary. In James Franklin & Co. I trust, but at what point does he cut the cord and make the offer to Leary? (there have been persistent rumors since forever that if PSU makes an offer, Leary is taking it).

He does not have to cut the cord to offer Leary. We have no QB recruits now but there is nothing saying that CJF will not take 2 on signing day.... if they are the right two......

I don't disagree, but I think you just have to trust CJF & Co. on this one. There is no question that Fields' latest statement about PSU being in his top 2 could have an impact on an offer to Leary.....because Leary has basically said multiple times that he would jump on a PSU Offer (i.e., I'm not sure the PSU Staff has extended that offer yet and there is only one reason IMHO you wouldn't do that given Leary's performance at the recent Elite 11 trials and his new standing as an Elite 11 QB).

"you just have to trust CJF & Co. on this one"

Now there's an enlightening statement......

CJF is the coach, isn't he?

Being paid $millions to be the CEO of PSU football, isn't he.....

I believe they "The Staff" are delaying or "Slow Playing" this as I would...multiple reasons;

1. If you offer LEARY-you are basically telling JF see ya
2. We have time on our hands as the season hasn't even started
3. JF may still be strong possibility as NO ONE KNOWS the relationship dynamics or how the parting was arranged/agreed on.
4. Safer more conservative approach as to not offer Leary and JF later decides hey I want to come too.
5. We have leverage vs. NC State as we are the better place for multiple reasons.
6. Aren't we deep at QB anyway? Perhaps we safe the ship for another position (unless JF of course )

Lastly, I like that we aren't quickly signing or going after another QB....makes us look desperate and moreover weren't sincere with JF in the first place....

Slow playing? No.

Smart playing. Yes.

I was thinking the same thing... maybe this is in anticipation of Moorhead leaving after this season? JK
Look at Leary's Hudl junior season. He can run the ball but he's primarily a passer. There's a few plays where he runs. Rocket arm and goes deep, btw. I also think I recall that Leary was the top qualifier at the Elite 11 qualifying camp. He's a helluva high school QB.

The kid's a stud QB. If these people would just take 5-10 minutes to watch his junior year on HUDL their questions would be answered.
48 TDs and 4 INTs/12-0 and NJ champs. Looks like he can make all of the throws. I wonder if any of his receivers are D1 recruits. They look pretty good too.

Reactions: artsandletters
I think JF will try to get Leary back on campus where he offers him. If he wouldn't make a visit, no use offering. And if he makes the visit as a committed recruit, we'll be able to flip him.
I was referring to your tactful yet insulting remark to me because I didn't know what the word 'edit' meant in the Twitter world. You know, you wrote "I'll say this the nicest way possible" that I should take a break from the Internet and watch reruns of Two and a Half Men. That 'edit'.

This 'edit' of yours is the original and proper use of the word. The other is a bastardization of the word.

Come to Penn State!!!

joe-paterno-mad.jpg

I was referring to your tactful yet insulting remark to me because I didn't know what the word 'edit' meant in the Twitter world. You know, you wrote "I'll say this the nicest way possible" that I should take a break from the Internet and watch reruns of Two and a Half Men. That 'edit'.

This 'edit' of yours is the original and proper use of the word. The other is a bastardization of the word.

The moral compass of the board is back and has spoken so eloquently.

We are all 'blessed'.

o_O

ok-then.gif

I'll simply say our depth chart is something that would scare me off as a high profile QB wanting to play soon. Trace has two years to play and Tommy Stevens three, for starters

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I was thinking the same thing... maybe this is in anticipation of Moorhead leaving after this season? JK
Good heavens. And the rumors start. Moorhead has said he wants a QB to throw first and run second. Escapability is more important than running so that plays can be extended. He has also said his system is built for either a dual threat or pro-style QB. When he met with Hack, he told Hack that Hack would be fine in his system.

Reactions: mn78psu83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT