ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

OSU's recruiting is ridiculous, and is probably too ridiculous to not have some kind of assistance behind it. On the other hand, of all of the 4-5 star guys that they have, only 11 of them can be on the field at the same time, and the ones on the field that are any good all go to the NFL early. Whatever the reason, it doesn't equate to nearly as many national championships as it should have.

I think that kids that don't take the money, who have some backbone and integrity, may well at gut-check time have that little bit of something extra, that je ne sais quoi, that they can pull from.

Reactions: royboy
OSU's recruiting is ridiculous, and is probably too ridiculous to not have some kind of assistance behind it. On the other hand, of all of the 4-5 star guys that they have, only 11 of them can be on the field at the same time, and the ones on the field that are any good all go to the NFL early. Whatever the reason, it doesn't equate to nearly as many national championships as it should have.

I think that kids that don't take the money, who have some backbone and integrity, may well at gut-check time have that little bit of something extra, that je ne sais quoi, that they can pull from.

Meyer could well have another NC if not for the post season ban he had his first year at OSU. Remember they were undefeated but tattoo gate kept them from playing for any championships IIRC.

Meyer could well have another NC if not for the post season ban he had his first year at OSU. Remember they were undefeated but tattoo gate kept them from playing for any championships IIRC.

And they would have one less if the BIG had played it straight in 2014 and not instructed their officials to allow extra time on the play clock and grant Urban phantom time outs. Not to mention the imaginary interception granted to O$U early in the game that everyone in the stadium saw bounce except for the official standing 10 yards from the play.

And they would have one less if the BIG had played it straight in 2014 and not instructed their officials to allow extra time on the play clock and grant Urban phantom time outs. Not to mention the imaginary interception granted to O$U early in the game that everyone in the stadium saw bounce except for the official standing 10 yards from the play.

Don't disagree, but we beat them last year and it didn't stop them from going to the playoffs.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I just read on espn.com that Tosu got a commitment from highly ranked matthew jones. He is their "4th top-25 recruit", per espn. Penn State was said to be in the mix for jones.

Franklin is recruiting very well, but when you look at how Tosu is recruiting, did Franklin get the boost in recruiting you expected from the 2016 season?

I know that Tosu has meyer, but they are recruiting extremely well given that they didn't win the b1g, had a mediocre offense, and were embarrassed in the playoff last year. While I expected them to continue to recruit well, I thought they would see a bit of a drop-off after last season. You would think they had a much better performance in 2016.
I just read on espn.com that Tosu got a commitment from highly ranked matthew jones. He is their "4th top-25 recruit", per espn. Penn State was said to be in the mix for jones.

Franklin is recruiting very well, but when you look at how Tosu is recruiting, did Franklin get the boost in recruiting you expected from the 2016 season?

I know that Tosu has meyer, but they are recruiting extremely well given that they didn't win the b1g, had a mediocre offense, and were embarrassed in the playoff last year. While I expected them to continue to recruit well, I thought they would see a bit of a drop-off after last season. You would think they had a much better performance in 2016.

Big keys for OSU are - recent National Championship, tons of guys in the NFL (will start to happen soon for CJF), and they've been to two of the first three college football playoffs. This is why when everyone was fine settling for USC we should have been lobbying hard for that playoff spot. Of course, it hasn't helped Oregon or Michigan State much.

We're recruiting better and more consistent than ever, but still playing catch up with the elites.

For all of the talk of OSU not having a good year in 2016 they were the youngest team in D1 last year , played 4 of the top 8 teams 3 of them on the road at night and came within a blocked FG of running the table in the regular season. Still not too shabby. As for the offense being sub par, no argument there, but replacing Urban's biggest mistake Tim Beck with Kevin Wilson should change that.
Good point, but would it have surprised you? Our own AD is rooting for them.

People do not realize how difficult it is to win a NC. Every team need a little bit of luck, whether it be lack of injuries,teams ahead of you losing( such as Iowa kicking a last second field goal last year in the case of last years B10 championship.). OSU has won 2 in the BCS/Playoff era which I believe is the only school outside of the SEC to win more than 1( not sure about FSU. Too lazy to look it up). They also played for 2 more. Not too shabby.

There is an awesome video on TOS about Urban and his efforts to prepare his players for life after FB. I do not know if PSU has anything similar but if they do not then Franklin should watch that video.

My friend who attended Rutgers thinks we pay players. This is the mindset of every program who is out recruited. I'm not naive enough to think this doesn't happen. However, I think it goes on everywhere and to much less of an extent than most think.
OSU recruits well because their coach has a long record of success... at multiple stops. Franklin is well on his way to acheiving the same status. It just takes time.

There is an awesome video on TOS about Urban and his efforts to prepare his players for life after FB. I do not know if PSU has anything similar but if they do not then Franklin should watch that video.
Because Penn State players go to class and graduate, they should be ready for life after football.

Franklin and company stress the academic side. Did you ever see the video where he drops in on a class unexpectedly to make 2 players that are sitting in the back row move to the front row where they are supposed to be per team rules?

As one player at OSU said, they didn't go there to play school, so I guess that's why Urban has to half ass prepare them for after football.

Franklin and company stress the academic side. Did you ever see the video where he drops in on a class unexpectedly to make 2 players that are sitting in the back row move to the front row where they are supposed to be per team rules?

Franklin was actually a scheduled guest speaker in that class, so it wasn't unexpected.

My friend who attended Rutgers thinks we pay players. This is the mindset of every program who is out recruited. I'm not naive enough to think this doesn't happen. However, I think it goes on everywhere and to much less of an extent than most think.
OSU recruits well because their coach has a long record of success... at multiple stops. Franklin is well on his way to acheiving the same status. It just takes time.

Hammer meet nail. I'm a bit worn out by the constant notion of every kid OSU or Bama gets results from a bagman. USC got everyone a decade plus back because they looked to be building a dynasty. Now it's Bama. Ohio State is prob looked at as the next best opportunity to play for the prize behind Bama. Kids flock to that.

I think the bigger question is that these kids should wonder if they will see the field enough to get to the next level. I realize if you are a 5 star that you think you walk on water, but these programs stack four stars on top of four stars. As a four star you might be lost in the shuffle and never see the field potentially even though you think you will certainly get to the NFL when you are initially enrolling.

We are getting there. Win another BIG this year and beating OSU at the shoe, and I think it's game on. If that happens Urbs will still be OK, but the doofus in the Big House might be checking out the help wanted ads in the NFL papers. If PSU starts to be viewed as OSU's chief problem in winning Big's, it could get interesting in Ann Arbor.

Getting a boost has allowed Penn State to seemingly closing the gap, but tOSU, Bama, and a few others are still way ahead of the pack. It would take at least 3 or 4 years of playing for conference championships and contending for playoff berths in order to be on par with these programs.
I disagree kind of.. I think a win in Columbus and another Big title puts us on the same level as OSU!! Easier said than done tho!

For all of the talk of OSU not having a good year in 2016 they were the youngest team in D1 last year , played 4 of the top 8 teams 3 of them on the road at night and came within a blocked FG of running the table in the regular season. Still not too shabby. As for the offense being sub par, no argument there, but replacing Urban's biggest mistake Tim Beck with Kevin Wilson should change that.

People do not realize how difficult it is to win a NC. Every team need a little bit of luck, whether it be lack of injuries,teams ahead of you losing( such as Iowa kicking a last second field goal last year in the case of last years B10 championship.). OSU has won 2 in the BCS/Playoff era which I believe is the only school outside of the SEC to win more than 1( not sure about FSU. Too lazy to look it up). They also played for 2 more. Not too shabby.

This video?

I disagree kind of.. I think a win in Columbus and another Big title puts us on the same level as OSU!! Easier said than done tho!
This is kind of my hammer meet nail post. This is a big year for Franklin. It isn't make or break, but it is his chance to claim elite status. If he can get into the playoffs and get to the Championship game the sky is the limit for our program. If he falls short of that but still wins 10 games I think he still will be viewed as an up and comer. The one thing we cannot do is take a step backwards. OSU and Michigan will definitely use that to recruit against us and make it a long uphill battle.

Reactions: ftlpsu

Source is James Franklin.

“I read a bunch of articles about me going in and interrupting a class,” Franklin said after practice Wednesday. “It’s been like this national story, that I just barge into a class and interrupt it.

So what really happened?

“I got invited to speak in a class,” Franklin said. “As I was there, I saw some (football players) who weren’t sitting in the front row. So I wanted to clear that up.”

The class, Sociology 119, covers race and ethnic relations. This was Franklin’s second time speaking on how such matters relate to sports.

http://www.scout.com/college/penn-state/story/1770398-psu-s-franklin-didn-t-really-crash-a-class

Reactions: PearlSUJam
This is kind of my hammer meet nail post. This is a big year for Franklin. It isn't make or break, but it is his chance to claim elite status. If he can get into the playoffs and get to the Championship game the sky is the limit for our program. If he falls short of that but still wins 10 games I think he still will be viewed as an up and comer. The one thing we cannot do is take a step backwards. OSU and Michigan will definitely use that to recruit against us and make it a long uphill battle.
YYYYAAAAWWWWNNNN

7 Schools standing out to Fields. PSU not among them. Anyone that may not have moved on, looks like it may be time to do so......

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Arti...n-Fields-comments-on-his-top-schools-53227150

Five-star quarterback Justin Fields has had a busy month of June. He started it off with a decommitment from Penn State, he then hit the road for visits to Georgia, Auburn and Florida State. After those visits were complete he rejoined his Cam Newton All-Star 7on7 team for the IMG National Championship, held this weekend in Bradenton Fla.

“(Being coached by Cam Newton) It’s definitely great. Growing up he was someone I modeled my game after, so it’s great learning from him,” Fields said.

When it comes to recruiting Fields says he does not have a leader, but there are a handful of teams that standout.

“I’m not talking to every school that’s offered me but I am talking to a certain amount of schools. I’m open to others but just not talking to them right now.”

Who are the teams in that top group?

“Georgia, Florida State, Florida, Auburn, North Carolina, Ole Miss and Alabama a little bit. I just don’t talk to the (Alabama) coaches as much as the others.”

Fields says he has three teams recruiting him the hardest right now.

“Georgia, Florida and Florida State,” he said.

Some have speculated that Fields sisters commitment to UGA to play softball could give the Dawgs the edge.

“I’m real close to my sister and everything, we’re great friends, but that’s not going to determine where I go. She just wants the best decision for me.”

Fields says he plans to take a trip to the University of Florida. He was not specific as to when it will occur, but he does know he’ll make it to Gainesville this summer.

“I want to be with the coaches, I just want to hangout there and just see what they are, relax back and not have it be all about football,” Fields said.

As for a final decision timeline, Fields did not know when that will be.

“I’m not sure when yet, I have no idea. I honestly do not know where I’ll go,” he added. “It’s going to come down to academics, player development, just knowing the coaches can make me into a better quarterback and I guess the relationships I have with the coaches and the relationships my parents have with those coaches.”

Last edited:

Well, actually, in the case of somewhat recent western PA player who went to OSU, you're right. They didn't pay the player. They did, however, get his mother a very nice car. Everybody in western Pennsylvania knows about this. It's not rumor, it's not sour grapes. You are naive if you believe that this isn't going on around us.

Reactions: RS54
Well, actually, in the case of somewhat recent western PA player who went to OSU, you're right. They didn't pay the player. They did, however, get his mother a very nice car. Everybody in western Pennsylvania knows about this. It's not rumor, it's not sour grapes. You are naive if you believe that this isn't going on around us.
I think I acknowledged it goes on. Just not to the degree many think. I think this degree of compensation goes out to the best of the best. If a booster steps forward and offers compensation to land the nation's #1 recruit. I think given the opportunity most coaches would turn their heads.

2 CB's For Christian Armstrong heading to FSU.

With that, and our one DE-commitment on the OL possibly recommitting. Make's me think that maybe Walker is NOT such a sure thing.
I think the door for Bleich would be reopened because of Armstrong, not Walker. Of the linemen, I think Nana is the one to keep an eye on if he starts taking visits.

Hammer meet nail. I'm a bit worn out by the constant notion of every kid OSU or Bama gets results from a bagman. USC got everyone a decade plus back because they looked to be building a dynasty. Now it's Bama. Ohio State is prob looked at as the next best opportunity to play for the prize behind Bama. Kids flock to that.

I think the bigger question is that these kids should wonder if they will see the field enough to get to the next level. I realize if you are a 5 star that you think you walk on water, but these programs stack four stars on top of four stars. As a four star you might be lost in the shuffle and never see the field potentially even though you think you will certainly get to the NFL when you are initially enrolling.

We are getting there. Win another BIG this year and beating OSU at the shoe, and I think it's game on. If that happens Urbs will still be OK, but the doofus in the Big House might be checking out the help wanted ads in the NFL papers. If PSU starts to be viewed as OSU's chief problem in winning Big's, it could get interesting in Ann Arbor.

It's not the Bama's or OSU's that have to pay players to get good ones (though the poor kids in Tuscaloosa do seem to drive some really, really nice cars - you can research that more if you want). But take notice when Ole Miss or Baylor puts up a Top 5 class - something is certainly up.

It's not the Bama's or OSU's that have to pay players to get good ones (though the poor kids in Tuscaloosa do seem to drive some really, really nice cars - you can research that more if you want). But take notice when Ole Miss or Baylor puts up a Top 5 class - something is certainly up.

They may not have to, but that doesn't mean they don't. ;)

I think the door for Bleich would be reopened because of Armstrong, not Walker. Of the linemen, I think Nana is the one to keep an eye on if he starts taking visits.

Except that so far, Nana has had no such leanings that we are aware of, correct? Or do you know something that we don't?

The thing that opened my eyes to Ole Miss is when they started to get a bunch of top 1-2-3 recruits out of the blue, all at the same time, when their program otherwise sucked. Everybody knew what was going on.

They do when 10 of their current 14 recruits are Top100 players by 247 and of them you are attracting 4 Florida, 2 Georgia, 2 Tenn, Cali and Virginia elite prospects from mostly warm weather states near beaches.

Those kids could play anywhere and they are choosing to leave beautiful states with awesome cities and beautiful beaches to spend several years in a $hithole crime-ridden city in the cold rust belt? To go play for a team already loaded with 5 and 4 stars that couldn't win it's own division and whose last game was a 31-0 embarrassment where they showed no heart. It's not like there aren't great options in Florida/SEC land and California that turns out tons players to the pros.

Nope instead they chose a cold city with crime index from just over 400 to just over 750 this century while the US average is 292 (murder rate double the US average) in the exciting rustbelt!

They chose a team that averaged the 4rth ranked recruiting class for classes that were on the field last year but could not make the conference championship against teams that averaged the 28th ranked average recruiting class (PSU) and the 42nd ranked average recruiting class (Wisc). Do they know that they are chosing a program that underperforms with elite talent and ended their last season in a game in which they basically gave up?

Pretty obvious these kids are being bought which may be an indicator of why they don't mesh as a team and why they give up against tough teams. When you are basically executing a financial transaction, there is no real reason to put it all on the line until the combine. Do they love the school? We know they like the handouts. They ain't come to play school. They get a little nicked up, well there is another couple of 4 or 5 star kids that will take their spot. No real commitment to the player beyond the handouts to bring them in or if they keep their spot.

Luketa is ranked the #5 LB in the 2018 class by Rank By Offers. Yet a composite "3 star" by the other services.

They do when 10 of their current 14 recruits are Top100 players by 247 and of them you are attracting 4 Florida, 2 Georgia, 2 Tenn, Cali and Virginia elite prospects from mostly warm weather states near beaches.

Those kids could play anywhere and they are choosing to leave beautiful states with awesome cities and beautiful beaches to spend several years in a $hithole crime-ridden city in the cold rust belt? To go play for a team already loaded with 5 and 4 stars that couldn't win it's own division and whose last game was a 31-0 embarrassment where they showed no heart. It's not like there aren't great options in Florida/SEC land and California that turns out tons players to the pros.

Nope instead they chose a cold city with crime index from just over 400 to just over 750 this century while the US average is 292 (murder rate double the US average) in the exciting rustbelt!

They chose a team that averaged the 4rth ranked recruiting class for classes that were on the field last year but could not make the conference championship against teams that averaged the 28th ranked average recruiting class (PSU) and the 42nd ranked average recruiting class (Wisc). Do they know that they are chosing a program that underperforms with elite talent and ended their last season in a game in which they basically gave up?

Pretty obvious these kids are being bought which may be an indicator of why they don't mesh as a team and why they give up against tough teams. When you are basically executing a financial transaction, there is no real reason to put it all on the line until the combine. Do they love the school? We know they like the handouts. They ain't come to play school. They get a little nicked up, well there is another couple of 4 or 5 star kids that will take their spot. No real commitment to the player beyond the handouts to bring them in or if they keep their spot.

You're giving kids too much credit for considering things like crime, weather, and location in general. Penn State is still in the middle of nowhere cow country Pennsylvania - that isn't attractive to every athlete. But - having a big time coach who wins and who puts kids in the NFL? That helps.

Reactions: Eurotrash1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT