ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Messiah Open

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
With the caveat the until the brackets are posted, you never know which PSU wrestlers will actually participate in an Open, the following PSUers are registered for the Messiah Open, which takes place on Saturday (2/2) at Messiah:

125: Brandon Meredith
133: Patrick Higgins
157: Paul Feite
165: Konner Kraeszig

Hopefully someone can keep us in loop and post match results? Any good competition there?
Seth has Jackson Ross from Mich. St. first match, Beard has Tim Young from Old Dominion. Brackets are on floarena. I looked them over and I wasn’t wowed by anybody, but others on this board have better knowledge about the level of competition.

Beard should have to break a sweat in the semis against Andrew Davison (Michigan) and in the finals against Dylan Reynolds (Edinboro) -- but should win.

Snacks gets 3 decent tests: Fletcher Miller (Indiana) in the quarters, Bobby Heald (Army) in the semis, and Isaac Reid (Lock Haven) in the finals. Fletcher and Heald are starters; Reid is shirting behind Haines. Heald is probably the best of the 3 but not as good as Hemida. Snacks has already beaten Reid 2x this year, and should win this event.

Ohio State sent a good contingent: Heinselman, Hoffman, Sasso, Felix, Mattox among others.

Beard should have to break a sweat in the semis against Andrew Davison (Michigan) and in the finals against Dylan Reynolds (Edinboro) -- but should win.

Snacks gets 3 decent tests: Fletcher Miller (Indiana) in the quarters, Bobby Heald (Army) in the semis, and Isaac Reid (Lock Haven) in the finals. Fletcher and Heald are starters; Reid is shirting behind Haines. Heald is probably the best of the 3 but not as good as Hemida. Snacks has already beaten Reid 2x this year, and should win this event.

Ohio State sent a good contingent: Heinselman, Hoffman, Sasso, Felix, Mattox among others.

Did Heinselman lose his spot in the starting lineup?

Snacks vs J Ross Michigan in the first round. Flo listed it as a 2-0 victory, so I got concerned.

I just watched. Snap go behind in the first 30 seconds, worked an arm bar for the pin. Nice start Seth.

Reactions: Maddog and danoftw
Did Heinselman lose his spot in the starting lineup?
?? Don't know. Heinselman wrestled in the Michigan Dual, losing to Mattin 12-6. Watched that dual, but can't remember anything like lack of effort from him. Maybe Ryan is sending him a message?

Heinselman is just getting more work. They just burnt his shirt, you can book it that he's going against Schnupp next week.

Snacks vs J Ross Michigan in the first round. Flo listed it as a 2-0 victory, so I got concerned.

I just watched. Snap go behind in the first 30 seconds, worked an arm bar for the pin. Nice start Seth.
Look a little closer, and you'll probably see Flo listed it as Snacks up 2-0 at the time of the 0:29 fall.

Beard on deck on 3. Looks like Beard got a forfeit win?

Neville up on 2.

MN's Krone is beating Hoffman 2-0 off a nice cradle he couldn't turn after 1. 1min RT.

Nevills up on 4, Beard on Deck on 1 (after Hoffman match)

Hoffman claws back to 5-5 at the end of regulation., gets the 2 in SV

Seth took Miller down (chased down a double off camera, I believe after giving up a hands to the face pt), rode him out in the 1st, and the entire 2nd. Gets his one, then not a lot of action to close. Wins 4-1

Beard doing Beard things, quick TD, 4 cross-wrist tilts for the 16-0 1st period TF.

Last edited:
Beard 16-0, 2:06 TF in the quarters, gets Davison in the semis.

Snacks 4-1 over Miller, will get Heald in the semis -- Heald just won in OT. On the other side of the bracket, Reid lost to an Edinboro backup.

Hoffman got a late reversal to force OT. Spent a lot of the match on bottom -- Ohio State deadlifting program taking hold? Gets former PA AAA finalist Tim Wallace in the semis, good wrestler and one who did not have to work nearly as hard in the quarters.

Reactions: danoftw
Heinselman almost majors McKee. 14-8. Looks pretty good--though McKee was sporting the Cory Clark shoulder brace, and did not look himself.

Don't look now but Sasso is down 5-10 to Cheek from Cleveland State.
Closes the gap quickly, 9-11 after 2.
Then gets a cradle and decks him. Much chippiness afterward.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
Beard up on Mat 3 vs. Michigan's Davison

Gives up 1st TD, gets out, and gets his own on a far ankle scramble. Up 3-2 after 1
Beard E1, 4-2
Beard TD2, 6-2
Rides the snot out of him, 1:50 RT, end of 2nd.
Davison takes Neutral
TD2 Beard, 8-2
E1 Davison, 8-3
TD2 Beard 10-3
RT1 Beard 11-3 MD

Last edited:
Snacks up on Mat 1 vs. Heald of Army
I dig these non-official grey-shirt PSU singlets.
Heald in on snatch single, Snacks almost hips it over for 2, but breaks the hold

Snacks on a double, to single, Heald tries to funk-roll, and Nevills settles in on top and gets the fall! 1:39

Looks like Boro's Reynolds is MFF out, so Beard will win the tourney, but is done wreslting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
Since Tato has now reached his “lost impulse control” section of the season, we have your answer here:
So he basically ducked Piotrowski of Illinois which makes sense. They are trying to set Heinselman up for an at large berth at nationals if necessary. He most likely loses to Piotrowski making him 0-1 for the weekend. Instead, go to an Open and go 3-1 or 4-0 to boost the record.

Heinselman? A lot of quick leg attacks, crisp finishes.

Didn't see the start of Sasso's semi--I'm guessing it was a big move. Edit: yeah, got a 6 pointer at the end of the 1st.
Yeah, I could have been clearer. I meant Sasso. Thanks for the response.

So he basically ducked Piotrowski of Illinois which makes sense. They are trying to set Heinselman up for an at large berth at nationals if necessary. He most likely loses to Piotrowski making him 0-1 for the weekend. Instead, go to an Open and go 3-1 or 4-0 to boost the record.
Worked out well for him--beats Michigan's Medley in the finals 7-3, goes 4-0 on the day.

Reynolds forfeited to Beard in the finals.

Snacks now up, Mat 1.

Snacks scoreless thru 1.

Takes down. E1 0:30 in, 1-0. T2 Snacks with 0:20 left, 3-0 after 2. Willis has 0:12 RT.

Willis takes down. Snacks rides him out, wins 4-0 with RT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT