ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Interesting... maybe we should discourage recruits from taking official visits for white out games?

Jerry-Seinfeld-No.gif

Obviously BMW has initiated an excellent separate thread focusing on uncommitted recruits visiting this weekend; would it be presumptuous...or reasonable to assume that the list of visitors will also include most verbal commits?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Think JF will pull a 2005 JoePa and cancel all visits so they can focus on the game?

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...g-weekend-vs-Ohio-State-122586933/#M122587169

“We’ve got the game going on,” Franklin said. “We’re gonna have 10 official visitors and their families that need to be picked up at the airport and checked into the hotel, shown everything, academic tours — all that kind of stuff — and the game’s going on.

“On top of that, we’re probably gonna have about 175 recruits on campus unofficially,” he added. “I’d say of that 175, say 60 of them are national recruits with 20 offers or more. Probably all of the best players in the region are gonna be here.”

giphy.gif

Reactions: bytir and mn78psu83
What do all of the unofficial visitors and their families do for lodging? Does PSU set aside some type of housing and have the families compensate the university? I can’t imagine they’d stay in hotels in Altoona. Seems like a logistical nightmare for such a huge weekend.
I was wondering the same thing...

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
What do all of the unofficial visitors and their families do for lodging? Does PSU set aside some type of housing and have the families compensate the university? I can’t imagine they’d stay in hotels in Altoona. Seems like a logistical nightmare for such a huge weekend.

Sleepover at coach's house!

Reactions: Grass
There are three phases to the game: Offense, defense, and everything else (special teams).

Most of the faces on defense are new, via graduation or other forms of attrition, so I consider it in the process of being rebuilt. Others on this board have used the same term. This is independent of what may or may not happen in games. We might still be better overall than everyone in the conference. I don't think that is necessarily true, but the score in games might work itself out that way. If it did, we would be legitimate champions.

We're really talking about semantics. I assume that you interpret rebuilding to mean we will lose more games than normal. That would merely be a different interpretation for the word.
If you want to discuss the 3 phases of the game, you can't deny that our special teams are incredibly improved minus the on side kick coverage. Remember in 2014 when we really didn't have a punter? Who was returning kicks then? We have all the tools to win convincingly.

Reactions: NedFromYork

Friend of mine lives in Port Matilda and they move all their valuables into their garage and lock them up and rent the house. They are getting $4000 for the weekend. They are booked up through the home games, including wrestling. She stated a lot of people are starting to do that now. Also, a friend working construction is doing a job in Altoona and the closest lodging he could find for Friday night was Johnston. This Whiteout has become a very big deal.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Friend of mine lives in Port Matilda and they move all their valuables into their garage and lock them up and rent the house. They are getting $4000 for the weekend. They are booked up through the home games, including wrestling. She stated a lot of people are starting to do that now. Also, a friend working construction is doing a job in Altoona and the closest lodging he could find for Friday night was Johnston. This Whiteout has become a very big deal.
$4k in Port Matilda. Must be a mega house or BS

Reactions: TheGLOV

Other than your post, that thread is a disaster

Recruit reactions....

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...State-for-Ohio-State-football-game-122701071/

“The environment is unreal,” four-star receiver commit Emery Simmons said. He was one of several future Nittany Lions back for the instant classic. “I’m just blessed I have the opportunity to play in something like this for the next four years. The highlights for me were just being their and seeing how the fans can play a huge part in a football game and feeding off of that energy.”

The Nittany Lions are currently sitting on the nation’s No. 15 recruiting class per the 247Sports Composite, good for No. 3 in the Big Ten. There were several official visitors on campus including Top247 defensive end Adisa Isaac, Top247 receiver David Bell and four-star tight end Brenton Strange. Others that returned to campus included five-star defensive end Zach Harrison.

The 2020 group was loaded as well headlined by the nation’s No. 1 recruit in defensive end Bryan Bresee and fellow five-stars in the nation’s No. 1 receiver Julian Fleming and the nation's No. 1 all-purpose back Chris Tyree.

"Atmosphere was crazy!" Tyree said. "Full of energy. Highlight for me was just being able to enjoy that high energy feeling from the recruits, fans, players, all the way up to the coaches. You have to see it to appreciate."

“It was crazy,” Fleming said. The top recruit in Pennsylvania has been to several PSU games this fall. “It’s hard to pick out one thing. It was just a great experience all together.”

Fleming said he “close to” already feeling like he’s part of the program.

“I know almost all the people as soon as I get in the entrance and they know me too and I’m starting to talk to a lot more players too,” Fleming added.

Bresee and Fleming were two of the many Top247 juniors in the stands.

“The environment was crazy with the White Out,” the No. 1 athlete in the country Arik Gilbert said.

Fort Washington (Md.) National Christian Academy Top247 offensive tackle Aaryn Parks said Penn State is his early leader.

“The environment was off the roof!” Parks said. “The o-line really knows how to zone block very well and they really, really play together. Penn State stands very high on my list.Unlike some programs Penn State’s atmosphere is one of the craziest atmospheres ever!”

Several other 2020s spoke on their experience as well.

"The atmosphere was great, the crowd was going crazy," Salisbury (Md.) Wicomico Top247 lineman Dominic Bailey said.

"It was a crazy," Top247 defensive end Fadil Diggs said. "Experience I would love to go back for another one. Penn State played hard and they also played great defense."

“That was the best atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of, and it wasn’t just for the beginning of the game it was for the whole game so the environment is very electric,” West Bloomfield (Mich.) High Top247 safety Makari Paige said. “It’s really a Happy Valley.”

"Fans show lots of love, amazing atmosphere, I love it here to be honest," Top247 safety Nehki Meredith of Virginia Beach (Va.) Bishop Sullivan said. "Energy from the fans and I just like how Penn State battled to the end."

“Being at the Penn State game was just very exciting,” Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha Top247 defensive lineman Coziah Izzard said. “The atmosphere was crazy and I enjoyed every bit of it. Trace McSorley was an amazing quarterback this game. He put on a show. But (DeMatha alum and Ohio State defensive end) Chase Young did as well. He had some big stops in the Ohio State defense. Overall the game was great! Can’t wait to be at another Penn State game!”

“Atmosphere like no other,” Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas Top247 outside linebacker Derek Wingo said. “Never been any place like it. They’re a young and rising team.”

Penn State has extended a few 2021 offers and Franklin and company were happy to see some of those faces on campus.

“The environment was crazy!” Pickerington (Ohio) North defensive end Jack Sawyer said. He is the No. 3 recruit in the country in the Top247 2021 Player Rankings. “Loudest game I’ve ever been to. What stands out to me is how they are all such a tight unit and family and the fan base is the same way.”

“The atmosphere was great,” Baltimore (Md.) Mount Saint Joseph receiver Dont'e Thornton said. “The highlight of the game for me might’ve been seeing Juwan Johnson’s one-handed catch.”

"The environment was like no other," the nation's No. 3 running back Evan Pryor said. "My ears almost fell off, my heartbeat was on a different level. My highlight was seeing the whole stadium sing Sweet Caroline together. That was really cool."

Stay tuned for more recruit reaction from Penn State.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...Wright-James-Franklin-122748590/#122748590_13

Give the entire series a click through....

BROOKLYN (N.Y.) CANARSIE DEFENSIVE END ADISA ISAAC
8706114.jpg

PARKERSBURG (WV) TIGHT END BRENTON STRANGE
8706118.jpg

BRANDON SMITH, HOUSTON (TEXAS) ST. PIUS X WIDE RECEIVER JALEN CURRY AND DAVID BELL
8706120.jpg

BATON ROUGE (LA.) UNIVERSITY LAB SCHOOL OFFENSIVE LINEMAN KARDELL THOMAS (LSU COMMIT)
8706131.jpg

ZACH HARRISON AND JAMES FRANKLIN
8706140.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT