ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Seems like Meyer is very focused on combatting Penn State this cycle. Offer to our QB verbal Roberson, offer to a 2020 DT minutes after he leaves his PSU visit, etc. Truss has looked like a Penn State lean. Dream school, twitter header is/was him at Penn State visit.

On Friday, Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer was in Rhode Island to see Warwick Bishop Hendricken four-star offensive tackle Xavier Truss. And though the Hawks are among the state's best football programs — with 14 championships to their name — it's pretty newsworthy when a coach of Meyer's stature stops by for a visit.

It's a good strategy for Meyer, since it's clear JF is a big thorn in his side. The problem from OSU's perspective is that by adopting this strategy, they completely legitimize us, and they announce to the world that they perceive us as a significant threat. Perception-wise, that is a big win for us and a big loss for them. Previous to this, Meyer didn't need to ever admit that anyone was on the same level as them, recruiting-wise.

It also announces for all to see that moving forward Meyer sees us as their biggest threat in the division, and not Michigan.

Seems like Meyer is very focused on combatting Penn State this cycle. Offer to our QB verbal Roberson, offer to a 2020 DT minutes after he leaves his PSU visit, etc. Truss has looked like a Penn State lean. Dream school, twitter header is/was him at Penn State visit.

On Friday, Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer was in Rhode Island to see Warwick Bishop Hendricken four-star offensive tackle Xavier Truss. And though the Hawks are among the state's best football programs — with 14 championships to their name — it's pretty newsworthy when a coach of Meyer's stature stops by for a visit.

I was thinking the same thing on Sunday. Heck, Meyer may put out 200+ offers for 2019.

All recruits need to do is see how Meyer follows behind Franklin trying to get in on everyone that Franklin wants to know who is boss and whose time has passed. If Meyer were still a great coach, why would he need Franklin's evaluations of prospects to tell him who to go after?

The kids are smarter in this regard than in the past. They know it is Franklin setting the tone now and leading the pack. So how does an old, out of touch, Meyer keep pace with a young and exciting Franklin about to enter his prime? It appears that Meyer tries to do like Franklin does but Meyer's imitation simply isn't the real thing.

All recruits need to do is see how Meyer follows behind Franklin trying to get in on everyone that Franklin wants to know who is boss and whose time has passed. If Meyer were still a great coach, why would he need Franklin's evaluations of prospects to tell him who to go after?

The kids are smarter in this regard than in the past. They know it is Franklin setting the tone now and leading the pack. So how does an old, out of touch, Meyer keep pace with a young and exciting Franklin about to enter his prime? It appears that Meyer tries to do like Franklin does but Meyer's imitation simply isn't the real thing.

Probably want to pump the brakes a little bit there. OSU has had two of the best classes ever the last two years. We aren't talking 80 year old JoePa here. Franklin is closing the gap tho.

You are absolutely correct Judge.... Franklins coming and Urban knows it. But, recruiting gold standard is still Bama with O$U, Georgia, Clemson, USC next in line. PSU is back in the next group which includes FSU, ND, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Auburn, Miami, Florida, A&M.

You are absolutely correct Judge.... Franklins coming and Urban knows it. But, recruiting gold standard is still Bama with O$U, Georgia, Clemson, USC next in line. PSU is back in the next group which includes FSU, ND, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Auburn, Miami, Florida, A&M.

Really? I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I'd say PSU is recruiting at a level that will allow them to compete for and win conference and national championships.

Thread doesn't show up at all on my BWI/McAndrew Board (it did, until I responded to it this morning). Your stuff is showing up fine (I do get the notification when someone responds to my posts in a thread).
Same thing happened to me. Look for an icon of some sort at the top right side that says "eliminate filters" or something like that. That should fix the problem.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Wisconsin is recruiting well for 2019 .Good luck to Hayden seems like a real good kid.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Wisconsin is recruiting well for 2019 .Good luck to Hayden seems like a real good kid.

I have no idea what interest level PSU may have for Hayden Rucci. There's been some references that Todd Rucci may have steered his son away from PSU. So not sure if he wasn't get much attention from PSU or did he really love the situation in Madison.

Reactions: TheGLOV
What was Rucci’s involvement in the Sandusky aftermath? I seem to remember him jumping on the pile at some point but don’t remember the context.

Really? I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I'd say PSU is recruiting at a level that will allow them to compete for and win conference and national championships.

I think depth is the big difference between PSU and tO$U/Bama.

I think depth is the big difference between PSU and tO$U/Bama.
Except that tO$U is selling the depth chart to all of our common recruits. He worked that angle with the DEs this year and now he's pushing it to Walker at OT. So somehow they've had top 5 recruiting classes every year but still pitch open depth charts to recruits. Methinks they play a little fast and loose with the facts.

Reactions: ralphster
Except that tO$U is selling the depth chart to all of our common recruits. He worked that angle with the DEs this year and now he's pushing it to Walker at OT. So somehow they've had top 5 recruiting classes every year but still pitch open depth charts to recruits. Methinks they play a little fast and loose with the facts.

He can sell it. I just hope Walker aint' buying.

I have no idea what interest level PSU may have for Hayden Rucci. There's been some references that Todd Rucci may have steered his son away from PSU. So not sure if he wasn't get much attention from PSU or did he really love the situation in Madison.

He didn't have an offer from Penn State. Visited a couple of times, iirc.

Purposely trying to “follow others” is asking for the “kiss of death”. You’re either a true Leader or a CopyCat.

JoePa was correct about trying to extract kids from remote locales and expecting them to stay for the long run. They generally don’t work out.

There are enough quality, talented and hungry players in the states bordering (or nearly bordering) Pennsylvania that CJF shouldn’t feel the need to go searching down in the swamplands.

Last edited:
Purposely trying to “follow others” is asking for the “kiss of death”. You’re either a true Leader or a CopyCat.

JoePa was correct about trying to extract kids from remote locales and expecting them to stay for the long run. They generally don’t work out.

There are enough quality, talented and hungry players in the states bordering (or nearly bordering) Pennsylvania that CJF shouldn’t feel the need to go searching down in the swamplands.

Lmfao

Reactions: pkg5002 and TheGLOV
The early signing period took so much off of the staff’s plate in 2018 that the group was able to shift focus to the future in January as it hit the road during the contact period. While college coaches aren’t able to have contact with prospects at their high school while visiting, the Nittany Lions staff made their presence felt in the hallways of some of the nation’s top prospects.

With essentially only two in-home visits with uncommitted prospects to worry about in January, James Franklin was able to hit the road and make stops in several key areas. We tracked Franklin in the typical hot spots - Philly, Pittsburgh, New England, New Jersey, Detroit, the DMV and so on, but also in places where the Nittany Lions are looking to gain a foothold. Those stops included Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, St. Louis, Tampa, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Indianapolis and Ohio.

The Nittany Lions are looking to expand their base, and 2019 is a good time to make that happen. Penn State has extended just two high school offers in the state of Pennsylvania in the cycle so far, one of which is held by cornerback commit Keaton Ellis from State College. It’s no secret that the talent level is down in the Keystone State after a great 2018, and with the Nittany Lions’ rising profile they have decided to test the waters outside the Commonwealth.

New England will be big for Penn State - the Nittany Lions offered Connecticut quarterback Taisun Phommachanh on Signing Day and are major players for defensive backs Marquis Wilson and Tyler Rudolph in Connecticut as well as Lewis Cine in Massachusetts. Virginia will once again be a prioritywith targets like running back Devyn Ford, linebacker Brandon Smith and a host of defensive backs.

Maryland and DC have been good to Penn State in the past and the staff has handed out 10 offers between the two. North Carolina has its share of talent in the cycle and the staff has already had a few key targets from the Tar Heel State on campus multiple times. The addition of Ja’Juan Seider to the staff will make things interesting in Florida as well.

Finally, Penn State will look to nab a few out of Ohio, which is a tall order for any program outside of the Buckeye State. The nation’s No. 1 prospect according to 247Sports, defensive end Zach Harrison, has been on campus several times and is very high on the Nittany Lions, but he goes to school just outside Columbus.

Numbers will make it tough for the Nittany Lions to have a repeat of its current top five class in the next cycle, but it wouldn’t be a surprise for Penn State to top its current average star rating in the next cycle.

Reactions: bmw199

I hope you’re kidding. If you look at the top 250 kids, and see how many are from Florida, you’d see it isn’t just trying to “follow others”.

The coach has relationships with coaches in Florida. Use them to get talented kids to Penn State. There’s just as much chance of a kid from Erie not working out as there is a kid from Tampa.

If you want to be a national power, you have to recruit nationally.

Yeah....that was pretty funny. You have an ace recruiter with ties to the richest state talent wise on the east coast, but they should ignore it. Then he uses Joe as an example who would pull kids from down south as well....pure genius. He may as well said...I'd rather have Joe coach from the grave as I was so GD wrong about Franklin that I'm still looking for a way to criticize him and I'm failing. You seem some people fail but instead of saying they were wrong, they just double down on stupid.

From July 6th to August 10th, we picked up 10 verbals in the summer of 2017. That is the sweet spot for us.
The thing is this year there are spring officials which may change up some timelines. Not totally sure there, but I imagine we'll get some kids from out of the normal area this year in the spring since it can be paid for. I'd called it the Seider effect and I think we get 5+ officials from FL this spring...at least that is my line.

Yeah....that was pretty funny. You have an ace recruiter with ties to the richest state talent wise on the east coast, but they should ignore it. Then he uses Joe as an example who would pull kids from down south as well....pure genius. He may as well said...I'd rather have Joe coach from the grave as I was so GD wrong about Franklin that I'm still looking for a way to criticize him and I'm failing. You seem some people fail but instead of saying they were wrong, they just double down on stupid.

Two points:
1. There is plenty of talent right nearby.
Here are the kids from the ESPN 300 from just Maryland and New Jersey who went elsewhere.
3. Anoma - Baltimore MD
29. Lytton - Upper Marlboro, MD
69. Duncan - Baltimore, MD
132. Friday - Ramsey, NJ
133. Simon - Jersey City, NJ
204. Fontaine - Hyattsville, MD
211. Booker - Baltimore, MD
237. Ademilola - Jersey City, NJ
276. Goode - Washington, DC (close enough to MD)
297. - Jean-Baptiste - Oradell, NJ

2. There is alot of competition in Florida. You've got over a dozen SEC and ACC schools who have been mining Florida for years while PSU's presence has been almost non-existent. If it was North Carolina, then I could be persuaded. High talent area close to the mid-Atlantic region with no national marquee schools (football...not basketball).

I just don't see the risk/reward. Frankly, I'd rather go into Ohio and make Meyer finally have to work to keep the in-state talent (of which there is plenty).

Reactions: ggoldie7
The thing is this year there are spring officials which may change up some timelines. Not totally sure there, but I imagine we'll get some kids from out of the normal area this year in the spring since it can be paid for. I'd called it the Seider effect and I think we get 5+ officials from FL this spring...at least that is my line.

Yeah, JF is really not happy with the 3 months of spring official visits. As he said, it is great to get the southern kids up to the East Coast in the spring nice weather. He's worried about the toll it takes on the staff and the time it takes from the current squad. So while that is a nagging thought in the back of my head, I agree, I think it is a real big development for our recruiting efforts. I mean, they are saying Blue/White will be our biggest official visit week of the year. JF wants 107k.

Yeah, JF is really not happy with the 3 months of spring official visits. As he said, it is great to get the southern kids up to the East Coast in the spring nice weather. He's worried about the toll it takes on the staff and the time it takes from the current squad. So while that is a nagging thought in the back of my head, I agree, I think it is a real big development for our recruiting efforts. I mean, they are saying Blue/White will be our biggest official visit week of the year. JF wants 107k.
I believe Nebraska just sold out their spring game. Not sure on their capacity.

Two points:
1. There is plenty of talent right nearby.
Here are the kids from the ESPN 300 from just Maryland and New Jersey who went elsewhere.
3. Anoma - Baltimore MD
29. Lytton - Upper Marlboro, MD
69. Duncan - Baltimore, MD
132. Friday - Ramsey, NJ
133. Simon - Jersey City, NJ
204. Fontaine - Hyattsville, MD
211. Booker - Baltimore, MD
237. Ademilola - Jersey City, NJ
276. Goode - Washington, DC (close enough to MD)
297. - Jean-Baptiste - Oradell, NJ

2. There is alot of competition in Florida. You've got over a dozen SEC and ACC schools who have been mining Florida for years while PSU's presence has been almost non-existent. If it was North Carolina, then I could be persuaded. High talent area close to the mid-Atlantic region with no national marquee schools (football...not basketball).

I just don't see the risk/reward. Frankly, I'd rather go into Ohio and make Meyer finally have to work to keep the in-state talent (of which there is plenty).

You are wrong as usual.

Reactions: Nittany Security
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT