ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Sounds like our run on top flight DBs could continue.

2019 DB target Lewis Cine says Penn State leads his recruitment

Prized Massachusetts prospect Lewis Cine carries nearly 30 scholarship offers midway through his junior year at Everett High School. While he sorts through an array of options, one university stands out: Penn State.

“Penn State is definitely on the top of my list,” Cine told Land of 10 on Thursday afternoon.

Fresh off sending coaches to his school, that’s an enviable place to be for the Nittany Lions.

Cine, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound recruit, most recently received offers from Georgia, Nebraska, Ohio State and Ole Miss. His complete sheet features Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, Tennessee and Wisconsin.

Considered the No. 3 safety and No. 35 overall player in 247Sports 2019 composite rankings, Cine is among the country’s most coveted defensive backs. Penn State extended an offer Aug. 2, two weeks after he attended a team-hosted camp.

Cine said he was “blown away” by his visit in mid-July and it was clear that the Nittany Lions would be a legitimate contender moving forward.

RELATED: 2018 Penn State recruiting big board

A native of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., he returned to Penn State in September. Cine attended the Nittany Lions’ 45-14 victory over Indiana. Again, he left Happy Valley feeling positive vibes.

“That one game made a big impression. I was not expecting all of that,” he explained. “The crowd was so live, the stadium was bigger than I expected, and the coaches kept it 100 with me about what I can do for the program. Mostly, I got the family feel there that I didn’t get from other schools.”

It would be Cine’s only campus visit anywhere during the 2017 season. He’ll return to the recruiting trail this month with upcoming visits to North Carolina and Virginia Tech.

Regardless of where Cine travels this winter, he is confident about where things stand with Penn State.

“I’m their No. 1 priority,” he said.

Nittany Lions defensive secondary coaches Tim Banks and Terry Smith helped solidify that sentiment Wednesday when they visited Everett. Their discussion with Cine centered on the program’s desire to invest in him long-term.

“They like the type of player I am and the type of person I am,” he said. “These coaches are not just going to offer me based on what they see on film. They do background checks, talk to people about me, see what type of student I am in the classroom, and they say I check on all those boxes. I’m the type of player they want in their program.”

Cine intends to use all five official visits and “enjoy the process” but plans to be selective with his travel agenda.

“I want to use them wisely,” he said.

A verbal commitment could come before his senior season. Cine will finalize a decision in December during the early signing period, then enroll at the university of his choice in January 2019.

So how firm is Penn State’s status as the leader of a crowded recruitment?

“They definitely have a good grip,” he said.

Cine helped lead Everett to an unbeaten state championship season, affirming his status as one of New England’s premier players.

“I grew a lot from a leadership perspective,” he said. “I kept the same mindset to go out there and make plays, hit, go for the ball, all that stuff, but I became more of a leader for the team. Calling out the plays for my teammates, telling them what kind of coverage, and growing as a leader.”

Fellow Massachusetts standout Pat Freiermuth, a 2018 Nittany Lions signee at tight end, hopes to see Penn State’s northern pipeline deliver again next cycle.

“I talk to Lewis a bunch and he’s a really good kid. Hopefully he commits to the family,” Freiermuth said.

4_4567830.jpg

DEVYN FORD

4-Star

• RB
  • 5-11
  • CLASS OF 19
STAFFORD, VA
(NORTH STAFFORD)

— 247SPORTS COMPOSITE —

i have no idea if we are going to get Ford or not, but I do know that the staff at that HS loves CJF & the PSU Staff. Member of that staff went to my HS.

Reactions: kevin310 and T J
#31 on the 247 composite rankings...

Cine intends to use all five official visits and “enjoy the process” but plans to be selective with his travel agenda.

“I want to use them wisely,” he said.

A verbal commitment could come before his senior season. Cine will finalize a decision in December during the early signing period, then enroll at the university of his choice in January 2019.

So how firm is Penn State’s status as the leader of a crowded recruitment?

“They definitely have a good grip,” he said.

This is exactly the type of safety we need patrolling our secondary. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: LionJim and T J
FWIW, CJF, Seider, and Limegrover just left Huntington (WV) HS and were talking to Darnell Wright, 6'6" OT who some say may become the #1 recruit for this class (I dont know, just something I saw) Mark Richt (Miami) and Todd Hartley (Miami and another former Marshall AFC) were up next. The kid has offers from everybody.
BTW they probably all drove about 5 miles to Spring Valley HS to see another big OT, Doug Nesster (sp?) who is an OSU commit.

FWIW, CJF, Seider, and Limegrover just left Huntington (WV) HS and were talking to Darnell Wright, 6'6" OT who some say may become the #1 recruit for this class (I dont know, just something I saw) Mark Richt (Miami) and Todd Hartley (Miami and another former Marshall AFC) were up next. The kid has offers from everybody.
BTW they probably all drove about 5 miles to Spring Valley HS to see another big OT, Doug Nesster (sp?) who is an OSU commit.

4_8033163.jpg

DARNELL WRIGHT
  • OT
  • 6-6
  • CLASS OF 19
HUNTINGTON, WV(HUNTINGTON)

— 247SPORTS COMPOSITE —

======

4_7672967.jpg

DOUG NESTER
  • OT
  • 6-5.5
  • CLASS OF 19
HUNTINGTON, WV(SPRING VALLEY)

— 247SPORTS COMPOSITE —

OK, I'll be the dinosaur to ask how one is to determine the name of the recruit from such Tweets.I even click on it to go to their Twitter site and still can't tell who owns it. Yes, I am an old Luddite but what is the point of a social media account of any kind if you can't determine whose it is? ... Oh yeah, get off my lawn!

OK, I'll be the dinosaur to ask how one is to determine the name of the recruit from such Tweets.I even click on it to go to their Twitter site and still can't tell who owns it. Yes, I am an old Luddite but what is the point of a social media account of any kind if you can't determine whose it is? ... Oh yeah, get off my lawn!
DeMarvin Leal, 4* defensive tackle out of Texas, I had to do a little looking too.

OH Defensive End Zach Harrison is the 247 #1 ranked recruit for 2019.

Franklin visited his high school Jan 18th.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Articale on Devyn Ford from today’s local paper
Franklin, Limegrover and Seider visited North Stafford.
I cut and pasted his comments regarding PSU

North Stafford junior Devyn Ford is the No. 1 rated running back in the nation for the class of 2019, per Rivals.com.

He’s racked up 38 scholarship offers since his freshman season and on Thursday he announced his top six.

Ford plans to trim the six in half during the spring and eventually give an oral commitment in June. In a telephone interview with The Free Lance-Star, Ford explained the reasoning behind his top six choices.

PENN STATE

Q: Penn State has recruited this area well with your teammate Nana Asiedu, Yetur Gross-Matos (Chancellor), DaeSean Hamilton (Mountain View) and Ricky Slade (C.D. Hylton). What do you like about its program?

A: They’re a young team but they have a ton of potential to be really, really good. That’s what I’d like to be a part of. Coach [James] Franklin, he’s that man. He’s a really cool person to be around and I’ve also got Nana. I envision playing in the same backfield as Ricky Slade, too. That would be a lot of fun. [Slade] and I have competed a little bit and that’s what I like. That’s how I’ve gotten better.”

Judge, can you send me a private message? I am not technologically gifted and can't figure this out.
I would like to share a story with you.

I think only paying customers can send PMs. My email address has my name in it.

I hope it is inside info that Zach Harrison is all Blue and White.

Reactions: Sullivan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT