ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Cain looks DURABLE. If miles declares, I wouldn’t be surprised if, by season-end, Cain might be backed up by Slade with Ford playing in 4 games. Add in the ND transfer, and this RB room looks RE-dic!!!!

If these guys can block, what an embarrassment of riches. I don’t know how they sell PSU on next year’s RB recruits. I guess the same way Bama sells any position on their roster...

The ND transfer, CJ Holmes, was a bigger, thicker 4-star RB, like Cain, coming out of high school. If Sanders goes to the NFL, I would not be surprised to see Holmes get significant carries right out of the gate next season, along with Slade and Brown. And if Slade does not sure up his ball security Holmes might just be the starter by the start of B10 games.

As you said, Ford and Cain can each play in 4 games and still redshirt. But given that Slade got green lighted this season from the start when we had 4 other RB's (Sanders, Allen, Brown, and Thomas) and we still may see 1 or both of Ford and Cain play all season as true freshmen, returning kicks and getting some carries.

It will be entertaining for sure!!

Holmes As a Prospect
247SPORTS COMPOSITE®
0.9079 i

Last edited:
anybody think Holmes could be a strong safety candidate??

I seem to remember CJF recruiting Holmes to play Safety at the start of his recruitment. But it is my understanding that Holmes played RB on the scout team this past season, and it would have made sense for him to play Safety this season if the staff was planning to put him into the competition at Safety going into 2019. But with all the talent at RB, who knows, maybe Holmes does get moved to Safety for the Spring. That's what makes Spring practice and the B/W game entertaining!!

I seem to remember CJF recruiting Holmes to play Safety at the start of his recruitment. But it is my understanding that Holmes played RB on the scout team this past season, and it would have made sense for him to play Safety this season if the staff was planning to put him into the competition at Safety going into 2019. But with all the talent at RB, who knows, maybe Holmes does get moved to Safety for the Spring. That's what makes Spring practice and the B/W game entertaining!!
If Sanders leaves it makes more sense to keep Holmes at RB. While Slade and Brown show great potential nether is a proven commodity, and Ford and Cain are true freshmen. Another body can’t hurt until things sort themselves out.

Reactions: OhioLion
Hey if those kids work hard get a degree early opt for nfl after 3- 3 1/2 years. I would think that would keep the recruiting running at a elite level. Not dealing with so many 4-5 year guys. Welcome to what is becoming the new norm. Since so many of these kids are so much more developed and advanced coming out of high school. I’m all for it

Reactions: pioneerlion83
Hey if those kids work hard get a degree early opt for nfl after 3- 3 1/2 years. I would think that would keep the recruiting running at a elite level. Not dealing with so many 4-5 year guys. Welcome to what is becoming the new norm. Since so many of these kids are so much more developed and advanced coming out of high school. I’m all for it
Graduating in 3 years would be great but I doubt that many of them are able to do that.

The ND transfer, CJ Holmes, was a bigger, thicker 4-star RB, like Cain, coming out of high school. If Sanders goes to the NFL, I would not be surprised to see Holmes get significant carries right out of the gate next season, along with Slade and Brown. And if Slade does not sure up his ball security Holmes might just be the starter by the start of B10 games.

As you said, Ford and Cain can each play in 4 games and still redshirt. But given that Slade got green lighted this season from the start when we had 4 other RB's (Sanders, Allen, Brown, and Thomas) and we still may see 1 or both of Ford and Cain play all season as true freshmen, returning kicks and getting some carries.

It will be entertaining for sure!!

Holmes As a Prospect
247SPORTS COMPOSITE®
0.9079 i

I might be wrong, but I thought Slade was going to be a red shirt, but then Allen got injured and that forced them to green light him. I could be wrong though, but that is what I thought was said.

I might be wrong, but I thought Slade was going to be a red shirt, but then Allen got injured and that forced them to green light him. I could be wrong though, but that is what I thought was said.
Allen and Slade both appeared in the App State, Pitt, and Kent State games. Allen got hurt at the tail end of Kent State - considering Slade had already played three of his four games by that point, I think he was green lit all the way.

Reactions: mn78psu83
For those asking how Michigan does the oversigning thing, the answer is in this article. 54 schlolarship players (yes 54) have transferred out or put on medical hardships since Harbaugh has taken over. That doesn’t include the commits he runs off when he gets higher rated commits later in the process. As others have said, the evidence is out there so kids should know what they are getting into going forward.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ghs-tenure-with-the-Wolverines-126556423/Amp/

CJF’s first recruiting class just reached their 5th anniversary.
There were 8 of them still on the team as 5th year seniors this year (6 of them were/are starters)

There are currently 15 who might be 5th year seniors next year ..... though I expect a handful will go to the NFL or move on with their life without taking a 5th year - but the odds are there will be at least another 6-10 5th year guys in 2019, including several starters (as many as 7 or 8, possibly)

That’s probably as many or more 5th year guys as all but a handful of P5 teams.
JJ, Tommy, Gonzo, Givens, Taylor, Reid, Windsor will start. Another if Bates doesn't go pro. The other potential 5 year players have already been passed on the depth chart by multiple younger players, and barring injury I don't see their status changing next season. I suspect some of them will move on if PT seems unlikely and they have obtained their degree. Graduating players in 3.5 years has long been reported as CJF's goal to ensure players get their degree, and ensure that options are there to refresh the pool of talent on the team and efficiently use scholarships. PSU is targeting a higher talent level of player and will continue to do so. IMHO I expect the number of 5 year players to decline as CJF continues to rack up wins/players to the NFL/more talented recruiting classes in the future, and the increasingly talented younger players compete for and receive PT. The 2016 class shows maybe 4 or 5 (6?) max 5 yr players being starters, and possibly not many more even being on the team by then.

Reactions: bmw199
Noah Cain stated quite plainly that he intends to be at Penn State for 3 years and then opt for the NFL. I doubt he redshirts.

I planned on being in college for four years, graduating with a degree in business, then stepping into a six figure job. I graduated 13 years later with a degree in social work. Plans and reality are often different things altogether.

For those asking how Michigan does the oversigning thing, the answer is in this article. 54 schlolarship players (yes 54) have transferred out or put on medical hardships since Harbaugh has taken over. That doesn’t include the commits he runs off when he gets higher rated commits later in the process. As others have said, the evidence is out there so kids should know what they are getting into going forward.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ghs-tenure-with-the-Wolverines-126556423/Amp/
Work with a guy who's son is a 3 star recruit in Michigan for 20/20. Probably going to BC but said Michigan recently reached out. Said they would not even pursue it because it is well known what Harbaugh is doing. Later that day the news came out of what he did to the kid from Belleville. He came to my office and said "f Harbaugh, he did it again." Jimmy can play that game but he's burning an awful lot of bridges.

Graduating in 3 years would be great but I doubt that many of them are able to do that.
3.5 is a very reasonable expectation given all the summers and academic support. EEs should def be done with undergrad after 3 seasons if they try.

Reactions: pioneerlion83
Work with a guy who's son is a 3 star recruit in Michigan for 20/20. Probably going to BC but said Michigan recently reached out. Said they would not even pursue it because it is well known what Harbaugh is doing. Later that day the news came out of what he did to the kid from Belleville. He came to my office and said "f Harbaugh, he did it again." Jimmy can play that game but he's burning an awful lot of bridges.
Look at how few recruits he got in Michigan

Penn State Continues Upward Trend with Signing of 2019 Class
The Nittany Lions continue to bring in an absurd amount of talent.

usa_today_11636986.0.jpg

As Bud Elliot pointed out last August in his yearly Blue-Chip Ratio article, no team has made a more dramatic jump talent-wise since 2014 than the Nittany Lions:

The Nittany Lions have seen their percentage rise from 21, to 28, to 34, to 41, and now to 51 percent. The Sooners have seen a big jump from 36 percent two years ago, to 53 percent this year.

Among the teams who made the list, five saw their numbers jump more than 5 percent each: Penn State (up 12 percent!), Texas (9%), USC (9%), Oklahoma (8%), and Georgia (6%).

While the class will certainly grow in the coming weeks with the traditional National Signing Day in February, the large majority of Penn State’s class signed yesterday, giving us a pretty good idea of the type of talent that’s coming to Happy Valley in 2019.

• Four prospects are ranked in the Top 100 — LB Brandon Smith (No. 25), OL Caedan Wallace (No. 71), DE Adisa Isaac (No. 79), and RB Devyn Ford (No. 80) — giving this class a 22% Elite Ratio to this point.
  • Including those four above, 17 of the 18 prospects in Penn State’s class are ranked as four-or-five-stars, giving the Nittany Lions a ridiculous Blue Chip Ratio of 94%. To put this into context, only Alabama (96%) has a better BCR than Penn State.
Penn State is poised to increase its Blue Chip Ratio by 9% and its Elite Ratio by 6% compared to last year. Those are dramatic enough jumps that Penn State will have a higher BCR next year than Clemson (59%) and Michigan (56%), according to my projections. When you can surpass a perennial Power Five conference champion (obviously not talking about Michigan here) in the “talent” department, well, that’s pretty good.

usa_today_11636986.0.jpg

As Bud Elliot pointed out last August in his yearly Blue-Chip Ratio article, no team has made a more dramatic jump talent-wise since 2014 than the Nittany Lions:

The Nittany Lions have seen their percentage rise from 21, to 28, to 34, to 41, and now to 51 percent. The Sooners have seen a big jump from 36 percent two years ago, to 53 percent this year.

Among the teams who made the list, five saw their numbers jump more than 5 percent each: Penn State (up 12 percent!), Texas (9%), USC (9%), Oklahoma (8%), and Georgia (6%).

While the class will certainly grow in the coming weeks with the traditional National Signing Day in February, the large majority of Penn State’s class signed yesterday, giving us a pretty good idea of the type of talent that’s coming to Happy Valley in 2019.

• Four prospects are ranked in the Top 100 — LB Brandon Smith (No. 25), OL Caedan Wallace (No. 71), DE Adisa Isaac (No. 79), and RB Devyn Ford (No. 80) — giving this class a 22% Elite Ratio to this point.
  • Including those four above, 17 of the 18 prospects in Penn State’s class are ranked as four-or-five-stars, giving the Nittany Lions a ridiculous Blue Chip Ratio of 94%. To put this into context, only Alabama (96%) has a better BCR than Penn State.
Penn State is poised to increase its Blue Chip Ratio by 9% and its Elite Ratio by 6% compared to last year. Those are dramatic enough jumps that Penn State will have a higher BCR next year than Clemson (59%) and Michigan (56%), according to my projections. When you can surpass a perennial Power Five conference champion (obviously not talking about Michigan here) in the “talent” department, well, that’s pretty good.

Who doesn’t love a good superfluous dig on Michigan with his coffee and breakfast?!?!?

Hope that Smith will be ready as a true freshman but that's a lot to ask. Parsons & Brown will start at OLB and Johnson will start in the middle. I assume Brooks & Luketa will back up Johnson so there's plenty of opportunity for Smith to see some backup reps on the outside.

Cain's opportunities might depend on if Sanders returns.
Five stars are expected to be reasy to play on day one. That doesn’t mean Smith will start on day 1, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Unlike Parsons, Smith isn’t learning a new position.

Last edited:
Five stars are expected to becreasy to play on day one. That doesn’t mean Smith will start on day 1, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Unlike Parsons, Smith isn’t learning a new position.
Fair enough, but Parsons was pretty much forced into early PT because we lost Cabinda and Bowen. This year we've got 5 LBs with playing experience returning.

Remember, we didn't see Shorter until late in the season.

usa_today_11636986.0.jpg

" When you can surpass a perennial Power Five conference champion (obviously not talking about Michigan here) ..."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Five stars are expected to becreasy to play on day one. That doesn’t mean Smith will start on day 1, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Unlike Parsons, Smith isn’t learning a new position.
Frequently happens but day one is not the expectation. Typically in year one. They are expected to contribute special size, speed, talent, etc. once they’re ready, whenever that is.

Recruiting class size "Processing"

Michigan
2019 27
2018 19
2017 30
2016 28
Total 104

Penn State
2019 18
2018 23
2017 22
2016 20
Total 83
This is really downright shameless when you add in the kids where he accepted an early commitment only to boot them close to signing day.

This new WR we offered reminds me of Johan Dotson. Someone who needs to put some weight on, but seems to have some upside!

Reactions: TheGLOV
This new WR we offered reminds me of Johan Dotson. Someone who needs to put some weight on, but seems to have some upside!

Yep. From what we know about the roster at this point, with 3 soph WR's all in the mix (Hamler, CSB, and Hippenhammer), and the 3 freshman WR's all looking talented (Dotson, George, and Shorter), it seems that CJF wants at least 9 WR's on the roster.

It also tells me that there will be at least 4 more players added to the 2019 class - 2 DL (likely 2 DT's), 1 OL (likely an OT), and a WR. And potentially Vibert as well!!

Last edited:
Yep. From what we know about the roster at this point, with 3 soph WR's all in the mix (Hamler, CSB, and Hippenhammer), and the 3 freshman WR's all looking talented (Dotson, George, and Shorter), it seems that CJF wants at least 9 WR's on the roster.

It also tells me that there will be at least 4 more players added to the 2019 class - 2 DL (likely 2 DT's), 1 OL (likely an OT), and a WR.

I like those 4 additions, but I still think we'll take Vilbert if he wants to. So I'm thinking 2 DT's, 1 DE, 1 OT, and a WR. That's 23, which would make a hell of a class!!

It also tells me that there will be at least 4 more players added to the 2019 class - 2 DL (likely 2 DT's), 1 OL (likely an OT), and a WR.

I forgot about Beaman, so you're probably right, if they could land 2 more DT's, that would probably finish out the DL recruiting. Does anyone know if we're still looking for another S?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT