ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Cael and company has proven that they will bring in guys to create competition. They aren’t going to tell D Augustino no, IMHO unless he’s not a good human or has a personality that conflicts with their cultures. Look no further than Dean… best man up. We all loved Beard and we all loved Dean. It’s just the nature of the sport.
Yeah, of course, if DeAugustino comes to Cael says he wants to come no matter what, he’s not going to be barred, but I don’t think he’ll actively pursue anyone, nor will he promise anything, either.

Reactions: bwfight
IDK, it jacks up Rutgers returning Natty points by 25% (8 to 10). If he had wrestled instead of McDermott, Rutgers would have finished 31st or so. The big boys of NCAA wrestling better pay attention. I wonder if Goodale has any sense of how silly he looks with these "BOOM"s.
You have to give him credit though. No matter how low they go, he stays optimistic. Boom!

IDK, it jacks up Rutgers returning Natty points by 25% (8 to 10). If he had wrestled instead of McDermott, Rutgers would have finished 31st or so. The big boys of NCAA wrestling better pay attention. I wonder if Goodale has any sense of how silly he looks with these "BOOM"s.
He should only tweet for a certain level of recruit? It’s a big deal for the transfer, and is his official “welcome to the program” recognition. I don’t think it looks silly 🤷‍♀️

He should only tweet for a certain level of recruit? It’s a big deal for the transfer, and is his official “welcome to the program” recognition. I don’t think it looks silly 🤷‍♀️
Well, a "BOOM" would seem to indicate something earth-shaking, which this certainly isn't. But he has backed himself into a corner. Now every recruit and transfer gets a "BOOM". After all, if he doesn't give you one ....

Meanwhile, Rutgers remains mired in mediocrity (and that's being generous).

Well, a "BOOM" would seem to indicate something earth-shaking, which this certainly isn't. But he has backed himself into a corner. Now every recruit and transfer gets a "BOOM". After all, if he doesn't give you one ....

It said on their board he was the sixth seed at NCAAs. His Boom is like Franklin’s We Are Better- it’s an equal opportunity phrase. I know your views on Rutgers, this one just seems like a bit of a stretch

It's a nice pickup. Good shot and being an AA in 2024 and 2025 if he progresses. Not a lot of top wins, but wrestling in the Big Ten should help him.

I thought of you when I saw this tweet today:

not sure where you have been, but everyone knows it takes EIGHT scoring wrestlers...
I hear, ya! In 7 of the 10 championships, PSU’s top five outscored #2. Of the three they didn’t the gap to #2 was 9 (2013), 14.5 (2014), and 5.5 (2018). Heck nationals would be more exciting if PSU was only allowed five guys. Cael has figured it out.

I hear, ya! In 7 of the 10 championships, PSU’s top five outscored #2. Of the three they didn’t the gap to #2 was 9 (2013), 14.5 (2014), and 5.5 (2018). Heck nationals would be more exciting if PSU was only allowed five guys. Cael has figured it out.
PSU needs to have 10 scoring wrestlers!... if they are going to lock up the title Friday morning.

Notice how the Cael trained tree are all starting nice little start-ups and business's. Let's call them growth companies. Pretty soon the wrestlers will all walk-on with Psu getting a percentage of their future earnings. We might even be able to kick in. I like royalties.

Reactions: baccafarmer
Notice how the Cael trained tree are all starting nice little start-ups and business's. Let's call them growth companies. Pretty soon the wrestlers will all walk-on with Psu getting a percentage of their future earnings. We might even be able to kick in. I like royalties.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: bourbon n blues
doesnt matter who co

doesnt matter who comes in they still have to deal with Robbie!
Yeah.. I’ll say the guy who finished 4th probably is the fav over r16 best finish.. they both dealt w/ injuries filled season.. excuses are for wusses

Yep unless Robbie was dealing w/ major inj his true Fresh year gimme the guy that proven he can 4th when healthy. Robbie has missed a lot of time it would be very optimistic to think he can jump in and place very high.

Yeah.. I’ll say the guy who finished 4th probably is the fav over r16 best finish.. they both dealt w/ injuries filled season.. excuses are for wusses

Yep unless Robbie was dealing w/ major inj his true Fresh year gimme the guy that proven he can 4th when healthy. Robbie has missed a lot of time it would be very optimistic to think he can jump in and place very high.
Robbie did better than DeAugustino in their first years. I see no reason why it’s unreasonable that Robbie could finish better in their 4th years, too (as long as he’s healthy). Remember, I asked if it was a guarantee that MD would be an upgrade over a healthy Robbie, not maybe. The answer to that is no, It’s definitely not clear he would be.

Reactions: nitlion6

Since when did an injury requiring multiple shoulder surgeries not count as a "major injury". I'm sure you know the history, yet you keep repeating this like it didn't happen. The kid didn't even wrestle the majority of his true freshman year, and his season ended in the way it did because of it.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Just general update on actual transfers:
Truax - Visited Iowa and I believe Arizona State. Still has Penn State (next weekend for BW) and Iowa State. I would be shocked if he doesn't take a 5th official and fully expect one of Michigan or Ohio State (or both) to enter the picture here as they both have a need.

Nagao - a poster on HR from Los Angeles (and knows his dad and former BJJ coach) says he is in contact with PSU, Iowa and will visit both in addition to Cornell. Would make sense to invite him here for Blue White. Similar to Truax, I wouldn't be shocked if other schools kick the tires. Don't think Ohio State since they're set in lowerweights but you never know) but definitely expect Michigan and other teams as well.

Mesenbrink - Last I checked, he is interested in Ohio State, Penn State, Cornell, Missouri. No information on his visits but wouldn't be shocked if Cael wants him here for BW

DeAugustino - no information at all but would make sense to kick the tires but who knows the scholarship situation or what Cael is thinking

Since when did an injury requiring multiple shoulder surgeries not count as a "major injury". I'm sure you know the history, yet you keep repeating this like it didn't happen. The kid didn't even wrestle the majority of his true freshman year, and his season ended in the way it did because of it.
Rutgers fan salty about how frequently and forcefully North Jersey resident Robert Howard dismissed Rutgers during his recruitment.

Truax - Visited Iowa and I believe Arizona State. Still has Penn State (next weekend for BW) and Iowa State. I would be shocked if he doesn't take a 5th official and fully expect one of Michigan or Ohio State (or both) to enter the picture here as they both have a need.

Nagao - a poster on HR from Los Angeles (and knows his dad and former BJJ coach) says he is in contact with PSU, Iowa and will visit both in addition to Cornell. Would make sense to invite him here for Blue White. Similar to Truax, I wouldn't be shocked if other schools kick the tires. Don't think Ohio State since they're set in lowerweights but you never know) but definitely expect Michigan and other teams as well.

Mesenbrink - Last I checked, he is interested in Ohio State, Penn State, Cornell, Missouri. No information on his visits but wouldn't be shocked if Cael wants him here for BW

DeAugustino - no information at all but would make sense to kick the tires but who knows the scholarship situation or what Cael is thinking
Thanks for the update. Good stuff.

Robbie did better than DeAugustino in their first years. I see no reason why it’s unreasonable that Robbie could finish better in their 4th years, too (as long as he’s healthy). Remember, I asked if it was a guarantee that MD would be an upgrade over a healthy Robbie, not maybe. The answer to that is no, It’s definitely not clear he would be.
Then by this logic the only clear upgrade over a healthy Robbie would be a national champion transfer bc a high AA isn’t.

Then by this logic the only clear upgrade over a healthy Robbie would be a national champion transfer bc a high AA isn’t.
Not clear at all with where Robbie stands especially with the injury history. That being said, I'd roll with him and look to bring in Nagao and Truax. Accomplish that and it won't matter where Robbie finishes. In fact, I don't think it'll matter much if we fail to land any transfers.

Last edited:

You’ve always been a good poster here, but your knowledge is deepening of late. Thanks for sticking around and sharing what you know!

Im new to posting here so forgive me if I missed something, but why are so many people so convinced that Howard is the answer at 125? So much so to say that not getting a top level 125 guy isnt necessary. I get that Howard is talented but he has been injured with BAD injuries the last few years going back to HS. With shoulders in wresting it means there is a good chance he gets hurt at some point again, not to mention that he has missed all that training time dealing with the surgeries and the follow up rehab so who know how much he as progressed over the last few years.

Im new to posting here so forgive me if I missed something, but why are so many people so convinced that Howard is the answer at 125? So much so to say that not getting a top level 125 guy isnt necessary. I get that Howard is talented but he has been injured with BAD injuries the last few years going back to HS. With shoulders in wresting it means there is a good chance he gets hurt at some point again, not to mention that he has missed all that training time dealing with the surgeries and the follow up rehab so who know how much he as progressed over the last few years.
I think it’s more about how we are all rooting for Robbie. He’s done nothing but stay positive, be supportive and we think he’s good for PSU wrestling and want to see him succeed. Maybe it’d be different if the team wasn’t winning by 50 without him, but with that luxury we all want to see him get the starting job.

Im new to posting here so forgive me if I missed something, but why are so many people so convinced that Howard is the answer at 125? So much so to say that not getting a top level 125 guy isnt necessary. I get that Howard is talented but he has been injured with BAD injuries the last few years going back to HS. With shoulders in wresting it means there is a good chance he gets hurt at some point again, not to mention that he has missed all that training time dealing with the surgeries and the follow up rehab so who know how much he as progressed over the last few
I'll speak for myself, I'm not convinced Robbie is the answer but I'd take my chances with him and use the resources I do have in bringing in a transfer or transfers at other spots in our lineup. We have Steen we can throw back in if the injuries are too much for Robbie to overcome. We also have Braeden Davis depending on his development although I think Cael redshirts him no matter what becomes of Robbie. I also think we can get an elite hs recruit or transfer the following season if the injuries force Robbie aside.

Howard healthy would absolutely have been the answer. He showed a fantastic skillset in HS and his first year at PSU (keep in mind he basically had 1.5 month of mat time that year after getting over shoulder surgery and then getting COVID) He beat Ragusin and dominated Shawver and figured out Heinselman on the third try. He was right there with AA level guys like DeAugustino, Barnett, Lamont. Like for a true freshman? Fantastic but then unfortunately he got his shoulder ripped apart by McKee. I was confident he would be able to recover and have a strong free season but he definitely looked rusty coming back (losing to Spratley and Volk handily) so it was clear the injury stunted his development but then he got hurt again and who knows where he is now.

Shoulders are tricky and Robbie has missed a ton of development opportunities bottom line. The prayer is he can be like a Cassar who basically had a similar situation (missed 2 years of mat time after a shoulder injury but came back healthy for 2 years, one year he wasn't the starter but obviously beat Kollin Moore then was the champ next year at Heavyweight) Everyone is rooting for Robbie, he loves Penn State (he never let's our guys get ragged on Twitter) and his desire to be good is strong. But 125 has been frustrating overall and it's a weight that is wide open and we haven't picked up points there in 7 years basically. So I think some people outright saying Robbie won't be healthy will be wrong (and it is absolutely wrong to take bets on he will get hurt, cough cough), but IMO it is a fair discussion point (especially on a message board) to discuss if there could be insurance options, especially if a former AA is available and interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT