ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so he's in the portal. If you read Mineo's comment he has a qualifier saying if he goes to Penn State. He could be going to Iowa for all we know, right?
I can't think of a legit reason anybody would choose to go to Iowa over PSU at this point. They haven't had a champ in 2 years and nobody other than Spencer has won since Cory Clark. If Nagao comes to PSU he's a legit contender next year even with Fix and Vito in the mix imo. Let him get in the room with RBY, Gilman et. al. and by the time the tournament comes around he'll be ready to roll with anybody.

But if he's looking to party and goof off and is happy being an AA and nothing more I guess Iowa would make sense.

giphy.gif
Saw MVP over on HR said PSU has been trying to poach him away for awhile now. Would love to hear where he gets this from.

Reactions: mcpat
According to Mineo, Rob Koll is visiting Oklahoma today. That’d be a helluva coup for Oklahoma
How amusing would it be if he winds up at OU, and Grey actually does go to OSU? I still personally doubt the later, but the former seems at least even odds at this point.

Reactions: Sullivan
Now we’ll see if nickels is blowing smoke when he suggests they’ve got the buying power.
He is busy fawning over the one former national champion HWC has in the room.

Are you denying Kaleb Young's star power?

I don't get the "woe is us" attitude with Iowa fans. They've done just as well, if not better, in getting high impact guys through the portal as PSU.

(Just kidding...I get it. They have to maintain the notion that they are unfairly disadvantaged in every way to explain their current results.)

Last edited:

Yeah - mentioned that thread in our “Iowa Desperation” thread. Hilarious - mentions Lee and then rattles off a list of relative yawners. I mean, I guess it’s better than a HWC of Moody and Sammy Brooks, but still

Reactions: diggerpup
This news legitimately takes a lot of wind out of my sails not only as a Minnesota wrestling fan but as a college wrestling fan in general. I wish him the best of luck at PSU. He will do great things for y’all.
If he does leave do you think Spratley goes 133 for you guys?

I didn't see this one coming. I ran back and got my crystal ball out of the closet and polished it up but good. Too many fingerprints from Popeyes spicy chicken obscured my view. Now that I can see more clearly it was a simple misread. It wasn't Noto but Nagao. 2 out of 5 letters is 40%, pretty close to my audited crystal ball stats.

That aside, this kid is a stud, give us him and Truax and I might just hybernate until November.

PS - that's the wife and I

I didn't see this one coming. I ran back and got my crystal ball out of the closet and polished it up but good. Too many fingerprints from Popeyes spicy chicken obscured my view. Now that I can see more clearly it was a simple misread. It wasn't Noto but Nagao. 2 out of 5 letters is 40%, pretty close to my audited crystal ball stats.

That aside, this kid is a stud, give us him and Truax and I might just hybernate until November.

PS - that's the wife and I
She’s smokin’

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Niche sports are very personal and fandom is deeper. This shit is gonna ruin niche, low-income collegiate athletics...

NCAA couldn't care less if it ends up with a Football playoff with 64 teams, March Madness for both genders (or sexes or whatever doesn't make me a bigot), and a collegiate world series.

If you stomped and shouted for collegiate athletes to receive funds on top of their SCHOLARSHIP... I don't want to hear any bitching. Anyone with a brain knew that small, tight-knit sports would turn into this. NIL + Portal = Glorified Minor Leagues.

Most of the kids who thought they deserved compensation for playing a sport while going to school... won't have a team to play for. This will kill programs left and right, if the NCAA doesn't step in at some point. They've made it pretty clear that they won't.

I love me some Penn State wrestling, but this shit is not good for long-term sport health.

Niche sports are very personal and fandom is deeper. This shit is gonna ruin niche, low-income collegiate athletics...

NCAA couldn't care less if it ends up with a Football playoff with 64 teams, March Madness for both genders (or sexes or whatever doesn't make me a bigot), and a collegiate world series.

If you stomped and shouted for collegiate athletes to receive funds on top of their SCHOLARSHIP... I don't want to hear any bitching. Anyone with a brain knew that small, tight-knit sports would turn into this. NIL + Portal = Glorified Minor Leagues.

Most of the kids who thought they deserved compensation for playing a sport while going to school... won't have a team to play for. This will kill programs left and right, if the NCAA doesn't step in at some point. They've made it pretty clear that they won't.

I love me some Penn State wrestling, but this shit is not good for long-term sport health.
Totally agree.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
College sports as we have come to know it won't be around much longer. I'm not sure where nil leads but it's going to change sports and especially second and third tier ones. Hopefully they can figure out how the changes can help the athletes without destroying lower level programs.

Reactions: rll1957 and Ski
I'm gonna guess Nagao got the idea Cael was shopping for a 133, hit the portal and reached out as quickly he could.

I'm also gonna guess it's not a done deal and Iowa will be all over him to keep this from happening.
It's a done deal when Nagao reads your former posts from his biggest fan this side of the Mississippi River.

That and diverting some of that Johnstown Flood Relief Fund cash to his NIL will seal the deal.

I agree. Kind of like the Pirates are a farm team to the rest of the MLB.

It is a double edged sword but this is accurate. NIL was rushed by the NCAA and there were a lot of loopholes and still are for the athlete to profit on a “pay to play”. Sucks to see some men and women take advantage of this, but i do remember a football kicker who had a YouTube channel (believe he went to UCF) who quit football because he made so much money from performing trick shots as a kicker. Unfortunately this has turned into the Wild West.

And on top of this, i have seen any new information but i do know a few college athletes were trying to get health insurance from the universities which is now tied up in some court. But if that were to go thru than that could be the demise of Title IX and some non revenue sports as we know it

Who could have ever predicted that something could be ruined by quests for money and power?

Now, if we can just find a way to incorporate religion and politics in a bigger way, this sport can really grow.

I think it's funny that there is still so much talk about NIL $ being the significant factor in the portal. Maybe it was in year 1, but I can't imagine how it is now in a non-revenue sport. First of all, it's not legal. That aside, how do you justify to your top guys that you're offering something more to to a newcomer? It would be a culture killer. You have to offer the same thing you offer high school recruits. What are your goals and where is the best place for you to reach them?
Sure, I need new employees, but I can't offer them 30% more than current high achieving employees. I have to raise the bar for everyone to recruit new employees in that manner. But there is not an unlimited pool of money in business and there is not an unlimited pool of money with NIL.
NIL $ and the transfer portal in wrestling is a red herring. Paying big $ to new guys is a culture killer.

Allowing student-athletes to make money off their name, image, and likeness is not an inherently poor idea.

Allowing that condition (and taking away all transfer protocol simultaneously) to severely impact competitive balance will kill programs, especially in low revenue or non-revenue sports. The major sports (football, basketball, hockey, etc) will survive no matter what and create minor leagues. The non-revenues? The ones that actually NEED scholarly-backing and infrastructure from the universities? They will die off. I realize parity isn't huge in wrestling over the history, but this absolutely disincentivizes parity. It will get much worse, in my opinion. We already have very few D1 programs.

I'm not trying to elevate the worth of the fan or our thoughts because obviously these athletes do the training and earn their accolades (and money). However, impacting the fan connection and experience negatively will impact the potential dollars they can make. Nobody shows up to wrestling as it is, outside of huge duals and March. Why would anyone spend money on anything App State wrestling (gear, tickets, etc), if they feel like a farm team? Why would they interact or care, if they get normalized to the idea that most AA's are gonna shop for a higher bidder after a great season? Why would App State continue to fund a program, if it is generating less and less and performs with success even less and less? (I specifically used App State because I think highly of them and what they're doing)

Ironically, people who fought so that athletes could gain more will have less opportunities to gain anything so that the few "stars" can reap lots of benefits and the rest may be left to the wayside.

I think it's funny that there is still so much talk about NIL $ being the significant factor in the portal. Maybe it was in year 1, but I can't imagine how it is now in a non-revenue sport. First of all, it's not legal. That aside, how do you justify to your top guys that you're offering something more to to a newcomer? It would be a culture killer. You have to offer the same thing you offer high school recruits. What are your goals and where is the best place for you to reach them?
Sure, I need new employees, but I can't offer them 30% more than current high achieving employees. I have to raise the bar for everyone to recruit new employees in that manner. But there is not an unlimited pool of money in business and there is not an unlimited pool of money with NIL.
NIL $ and the transfer portal in wrestling is a red herring. Paying big $ to new guys is a culture killer.
My wife used to work for a major clothing retailer, a few years back the CEO had this big idea to raise the starting salary nationwide to a higher rate than min wage. The problem is there were workers that had been there years and were getting paid less than the new minimum, his solution was to raise them to the new min. But now you had workers that had been there for years, that had earned raises due to performance, making the same is just sligtly higher than new workers coming in with zero experience or initiative. It destroyed the moral and the company has been pretty much spiraling since.

To be fair, recruiting the Ferrari family is a huge culture killer too but it seems that certain teams are all in on that idea.

My wife used to work for a major clothing retailer, a few years back the CEO had this big idea to raise the starting salary nationwide to a higher rate than min wage. The problem is there were workers that had been there years and were getting paid less than the new minimum, his solution was to raise them to the new min. But now you had workers that had been there for years, that had earned raises due to performance, making the same is just sligtly higher than new workers coming in with zero experience or initiative. It destroyed the moral and the company has been pretty much spiraling since.
Happened at my wife's hospital. Some nurses got bumped up like $20 an hour and the experienced ICU nurses got a $1 bump. Was a mess. A lot of experienced nurses left which might have been part of the hospitals plan.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT