ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Southern scuffle

My concern with Facundo is less result and more performances. A lot of his shots are doubles from space with no setup or ducks from space with again no setup. They’re just not good shots. He’s not working angles very well and didn’t do so in HS against top competition.

However, he’s far from a finished product and another year of progression should be very good for him.
To be honest and 100% not disrespectful, I don’t understand how you can have this take with AF at this point (a few months in) and have a different take with BB (2 years in).

Lets all take a breath and sip our favorite drink and realize these results are our backups in a decent tournament (not the Crayola
Open). Some are disappointing for sure and some are not (go Beard).
I’m going to periodically leave these like breadcrumbs back home for the rest of this season…

Jeff Prescott went 12-7 his freshman year.

Lets all take a breath and sip our favorite drink and realize these results are our backups in a decent tournament (not the Crayola
Open). Some are disappointing for sure and some are not (go Beard).
'There will be an answer....Let it Be....Let it Be"......Someone smart :)

certainly haven't seen anything better out of the other 157's.
It's interesting because Tony could certainly use more matches (only 3 matches and 2/3 are against AA Level guys) But the fact Tony got the nod against the 2 best 157's PSU has faced this year so far (Teemer/Humphreys) also speaks volumes. This feels like a statement made by Cael, Tony has earned the spot and is keeping it. We don't have many options at 157 and the guy who has kept it competitive with top competition is who Cael is rolling with.

IDK, most people would be satisfied with 10 One Legged Jason Nolfs who teched Micah Jordan on the way to winning the national title.
Please don’t bring that up because when Aaron Brooks wins his third title some guy is going to say well, Nolf did it with one leg so it’s not good enough.

This morning, Meredith faces Ethan Fernandez in the R12. EF wrestles for the Spartan Combat RTC. It looks like he was 3rd at stateS in NJ last year. He was 5-1 in open tournaments before the scuffle and knocked off the 3rd seeded Kellyn March of NDSU in the last round.

At 157, J Lee will wrestle AJ Kovacs of NC State. Kovacs was 2nd at stateS in NY as a senior and had won state championships in both NY and CT before that. He was a cadet all-american and a FloNationals champ in 2019. He came into the Scuffle 10-1 on the season in open tournaments, his only loss by fall to his teammate.

At 197, Beard will wrestle Caffey in the semis.

At HWT, Nevills will face another NC ST wrestler in Houghton. NC State's notes for the Scuffle state that they sent three wrestlers at HWT to help them determine the starter. In the last round, Nevills topped Wilson, who was a 2-time NQ. Houghton is a junior with losses on the season (pre-Scuffle) to Wilson, Catka, Laird, Elam and Cass. He was 11-5 on the season coming into the Scuffle and bested Seth's brother AJ earlier in the Scuffle. (AJ came into the Scuffle ranked 24th by Intermat.)

Sunday, January 2nd
10:00 a.m.Doors Open for Spectators
11:00 a.m.5th Round of Consolation
1:00 p.m.Championship Semifinals
Consolation Quarterfinals
3:00 p.m.* Consolation Semifinals
7:00 p.m.Championship Finals & Medal Matches

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat
This morning, Meredith faces Ethan Fernandez in the R12. EF wrestles for the Spartan Combat RTC. It looks like he was 3rd at stateS in NJ last year. He was 5-1 in open tournaments before the scuffle and knocked off the 3rd seeded Kellyn March of NDSU in the last round.

At 157, J Lee will wrestle AJ Kovacs of NC State. Kovacs was 2nd at stateS in NY as a senior and had won state championships in both NY and CT before that. He was a cadet all-american and a FloNationals champ in 2019. He came into the Scuffle 10-1 on the season in open tournaments, his only loss by fall to his teammate.

At 197, Beard will wrestle Caffey in the semis.

At HWT, Nevills will face another NC ST wrestler in Houghton. NC State's notes for the Scuffle state that they sent three wrestlers at HWT to help them determine the starter. In the last round, Nevills topped Wilson, who was a 2-time NQ. Houghton is a junior with losses on the season (pre-Scuffle) to Wilson, Catka, Laird, Elam and Cass. He was 11-5 on the season coming into the Scuffle and bested Seth's brother AJ earlier in the Scuffle. (AJ came into the Scuffle ranked 24th by Intermat.)
Houghton will be a tough match for Nevills. He's got a hell of a tank. He gased Elam and came back to within a point. He also got a takedown against Cass and had double boots in cranking a power half when the ref bailed Cass out and called PD.

To be honest and 100% not disrespectful, I don’t understand how you can have this take with AF at this point (a few months in) and have a different take with BB (2 years in).
No that’s completely fair. I think some of it is level of expectation and some of it just a style thing. Additionally I think the size thing is a real issue for Bartlett, but Facundo shouldn’t be undersized at 65.

Reactions: Raw Daddy
Sunday, January 2nd
10:00 a.m.Doors Open for Spectators
11:00 a.m.5th Round of Consolation
1:00 p.m.Championship Semifinals
Consolation Quarterfinals
3:00 p.m.*Consolation Semifinals
7:00 p.m.Championship Finals & Medal Matches
That drive back to PA after the 7pm finals was tough but made back and went to work on time.

Merry Death on deck mat #1 against Fernandez. In fact, he is up now.

M. loses a close one. 3-1. It was 1-1 with about 10 seconds left. F. got the late TD. M. fought hard and was in on some shots

Last edited:
Meredith vs Fernandez

Meredith stuffs an early half shot by Fernandez. And another. Meredith then with a couple half shots of his own. Then Fernandez gets in deep and Meredith somehow avoids the TD. Somewhat physical exchange there. OOB at 1:30.
Meredith in deep at 2:30 but unable to finish. OOB with 0:24 to wrestle. No score after one.

Meredith chooses bottom to start 2nd. Meredith to his feet and out in 19 secs. 1-0 good guys. Head to head. Fernandez in on a shot… fast scramble and Meredith avoids TD.. Meredith in deep on a double… Fernandez rolls him…. Fernandez gets a one count called against him for danger… stalemate. Close for meredith. 1-0 good guys after two. Very even match thus far.

Fernandez takes bottom… Meredith riding him tough. Fernandez to feet… Meredith drops to leg. Stalemate. I didn’t hear a stall call but I would have thought there should be with meredith on leg. Restart with 1:17 to wrestle. Fernandez to feet and out at a minute to go. Riding adv 0:34 for meredith. Meredith stuffs a shot by Fernandez. Restart with 0:28 to wrestle. Fernandez in on a single and gets the winning TD with less than 10 secs to wrestle. Meredith’s tournament ends with a 3-1 loss one spot out of placing.

Lee had a cradle locked up and the guy on his back but gave up a reversal instead.

Isn't there a Seinfeld episode in which George does the opposite of everything he would normally do? Perhaps a move should be named "Opposite-Lee" or "Joe-Opp"

• Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel
J Lee vs Kovacs

NC State with an impressively deep roster IMHO.

kovacs with first real shot… JLee counters … cradles… looks to have upper hand on way to TD and back points but then gets himself in trouble and loses control. Looks like they gave JLee the TD and then Kovacs the reversal. I think he rushed it. Had he taken his time to ensure proper position with the cradle, I think he would have had it. JLee escape after being ridden for about 30 secs and it’s 3-2 JLee. That’s how the first period ends. 25 secs riding adv for Kovacs.

JLee chooses bottom. Caution on JLee jumped to feet too soon. Lee being ridden now. Not getting to his feet at all. Flattened out on bottom with 1:10 to go. Stalling on JLee. Stalemate with 38 secs to wrestle. If I was Kovacs, I’d be pissed. Flattened out after restart and Kovacs rides out 2nd period. 3-2 JLee after two but Kovacs had 2:25 riding adv.

Kovacs takes bottom and is out in 6 secs. 3-3 but riding point is all but assured for Kovacs. 2nd caution on JLee on neutral restart. Shot by Kovacs… Lee whizzer… Kovacs steps over and gets the TD. 5-3 Kovacs with riding point clinched. JLee flattened out and stalling called I thought but point isn’t on screen. Ends with 3:15 RT for Kovacs. Looks like 6-3 final but I would have thought 7-3 if the second call was stalling. Guess it wasn’t.

Reactions: kevin310
Joe just looked like he didnt want to be there. After that cradle gone bad he had nothing and laid his head on the mat the rest of the match.

Lee had a cradle locked up and the guy on his back but gave up a reversal instead.

Isn't there a Seinfeld episode in which George does the opposite of everything he would normally do? Perhaps a move should be named "Opposite-Lee" or "Joe-Opp"

Lol. Yeah. Great episode. Same one where Kramer was out promoting his Coffe Table Book. Lol

Joe just looked like he didnt want to be there. After that cradle gone bad he had nothing and laid his head on the mat the rest of the match.
Well maybe that's just it. He wouldn't be the first athlete who didn't have the same love for a sport as the rest of the family, and there's no shame in that. Is he sticking it out because of his brothers? If that's the case, then he should be honest with himself and do his own thing.

Beard aside, a pretty ugly weekend across the board
At least Seth Nevills is back on the mat. He has managed to win 3 matches so far and hopefully is working himself back into shape. He should be up again soon. You never know when you are going to need a backup, right? And he was a big recruit before Kerk transferred.

Meredith won three matches before falling to the #2 seed and then lost a close one in consolations today.

Reactions: Dogwelder
At least Seth Nevills is back on the mat. He has managed to win 3 matches so far and hopefully is working himself back into shape. He should be up again soon. You never know when you are going to need a backup, right? And he was a big recruit before Kerk transferred
Mat 4

Nevills in the hole on mat #4 against another NC State guy.

Welp, If the question was who should start at 157 and 165 it looks like we have our answer for now ... Negron and Edsell.

I certainly didn't expect all 4 guys at those weights to miss the podium.

Well, we all thought there would be a bunch of lineup intrigue at this point of the season, and there really isn't. That's OK. I like our team, and our chances. Let's roll.
  • Hildebrandt
  • RBY
  • Nick
  • Beau
  • Tony Picks
  • Creighton
  • Carter
  • Aaron
  • Dean with a damn good plan b
  • Kerk with a very good plan b.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT