ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Southern scuffle

Well, we all thought there would be a bunch of lineup intrigue at this point of the season, and there really isn't. That's OK. I like our team, and our chances. Let's roll.
  • Hildebrandt
  • RBY
  • Nick
  • Beau
  • Tony Picks
  • Creighton
  • Carter
  • Aaron
  • Dean with a damn good plan b
  • Kerk with a very good plan b.
I am really good with that lineup. That lineup wins nationals even b4 Spencer.

Nevills up now. Mat 4. He pulls a kind of Joe Lee to start the match and throws himself to his back. N. up 3-2 after 1st pd.

Nevills loses 5-3. He got in 5 matches this weekend. A start in returning to shape and getting his weight, cardio, and mat awareness back.

Last edited:
Snacks vs Houghton

right into upper body… snacks tries a trip… Houghton counters and gets the TD. A little more explosiveness prob would have gotten it. Seth escapes after 33 secs. 1-2 bad guys. Houghton in on a shot. Tries to lift 284.5 lbs with nothing but his lower back while extended… gets Seth off mat by about a foot and then gives up on it. Seth with a nice single leg and quick finish with 30 secs to go. 3-2 good guys. Seth working a cross face cradle… Houghton to his feet… restart. 1st period ends after a ton of action 3-2 good guys and even on RT.

Houghton chooses bottom. Seth rides. Houghton to his feet and out in 11 secs. 3-3. Good match. Seth with a shot and they go OOB with 1:03 to wrestle. Houghton double unders OOB with 0:40 to go. Houghton keeps working upper body and Seth is called for stalling. Must have been second call - maybe on OOB with double unders. 4-3 Houghton at end of 2nd.

Seth chooses bottom to start 3rd. Houghton throws in a boot and is riding. Seth could get called again soon if he doesn’t do something soon. Houghton working cross face and boot. No back points but close. Riding time over a minute now for Houghton. Seth finally to his feet with 0:10 to go. Returns to mat and Houghton wins 5-3 with riding point.

Seth started good but....

I'll add that he showed how fast some wrestling comes back after taking time off. Still has a ways to go tho.

Well maybe that's just it. He wouldn't be the first athlete who didn't have the same love for a sport as the rest of the family, and there's no shame in that. Is he sticking it out because of his brothers? If that's the case, then he should be honest with himself and do his own thing.
Yep.
Really think it’s fun and interesting to him when it’s easy, but it’s not something he really cares to improve upon through difficulties.

Ayala vs McKee at 1:00. McKee beat Ayala earlier this year 8-4. Things are dramatically different for Ayala now. McKee bested Hildebrandt 5-3 for 3rd in March.

Mat 3

Reactions: RLSalty
Yep.
Really think it’s fun and interesting to him when it’s easy, but it’s not something he really cares to improve upon through difficulties.
When I watch JLee, I feel like I’m watching a wrestler that is accustomed to ending matches quickly and needs more experience wrestling when that doesn’t happen.

Wrestling is a sport you have to want to do down deep in your soul to be successful. It is just too tough to do just for the heck of it.

Someone I grew up close to in PA went to states his freshman year, didn't make it out of regionals his sophomore year, didn't make it out of districts his junior year, and didn't make it out of section his senior year. As time when by, he was wrestling less and less for himself and more and more for his parents. It most definitely had nothing to do with his talents ... he just had other passions that he cared much more about each passing year than wrestling.

Wrestling is a sport you have to want to do down deep in your soul to be successful. It is just too tough to do just for the heck of it.

Someone I grew up close to in PA went to states his freshman year, didn't make it out of regionals his sophomore year, didn't make it out of districts his junior year, and didn't make it out of section his senior year. As time when by, he was wrestling less and less for himself and more and more for his parents. It most definitely had nothing to do with his talents ... he just had other passions that he cared much more about each passing year than wrestling.
You often see this same dynamic play out in family businesses where the parents assume the children will want to take of the reins some day. Doesn't work out that way a lot of the time.

Reactions: Fatmarc and danoftw
Ayala vs McKee

Ayala with a super slick throw by scores first. 2-0 with 1:30 to wrestle in 1st. McKee escapes after 24 secs. Ayala with a single leg and finish. 4-1 now. McKee escapes after 11 secs. Ayala battling RBY for fastest wrestler award. 4-2 with 35 secs adv after one.

McKee takes bottom… gets reversal after 50 secs after good Ayala ride. Ayala escapes immediately. 5-4 Ayala. McKee with a great shot… no TD called… OOB. No challenge. 5-4 Ayala with 1:16 adv after two.

Ayala chooses neutral. He seems to do so a lot. Ayala with deep shot. Single leg. McKee tough Def and somehow gets TD. McKee gets riding adv for Ayala under a minute. McKee riding tough. Ton of action. Ayala nonstop movement on bottom… McKee rides him out and wins 6-5. Great match.

Ayala vs McKee

Ayala with a super slick throw by scores first. 2-0 with 1:30 to wrestle in 1st. McKee escapes after 24 secs. Ayala with a single leg and finish. 4-1 now. McKee escapes after 11 secs. Ayala battling RBY for fastest wrestler award. 4-2 with 35 secs adv after one.

McKee takes bottom… gets reversal after 50 secs after good Ayala ride. Ayala escapes immediately. 5-4 Ayala. McKee with a great shot… no TD called… OOB. No challenge. 5-4 Ayala with 1:16 adv after two.

Ayala chooses neutral. He seems to do so a lot. Ayala with deep shot. Single leg. McKee tough Def and somehow gets TD. McKee gets riding adv for Ayala under a minute. McKee riding tough. Ton of action. Ayala nonstop movement on bottom… McKee rides him out and wins 6-5. Great match.
Ayala impressed

Ayala is the real deal. That was a good match!
I’ll have to rewatch that. Still trying to figure out how McKee ended up with that TD in 3rd. Sure looked like Ayala was about to finish a deep single.

3rd period in the carndinale vs Guetirez match was just like watching a gymnatics floor competition.

Reactions: hlstone
Ayala goes down to McKee 6-5 but he is definitely a podium threat, so while Iowa loses points with Spencer Lee's absence, they won't lose so many I don't think.

Yeah, losing Lee doesn't mean Iowa losses all 24.5 points at 125. Ayala looks like he is good for double digits.

He's now 0-2 vs McKee. Which of Suriano, Glory, and Arujau is he beating?
May not have to depending on how seeds shake out. And I think he gets McKee next time around. Probably beats him this time with coaches in his corner.

Is this Nagao even Minny's starter? I've never heard of him but a Scuffle finalist probably means yes, wrestlestat says he went 1-2 at Daktronics at 141 and those are his only results this year.

Is this Nagao even Minny's starter? I've never heard of him but a Scuffle finalist probably means yes, wrestlestat says he went 1-2 at Daktronics at 141 and those are his only results this year.
California kid who came on big in his senior year. Definitely a project but a lot of upside.

When I watch JLee, I feel like I’m watching a wrestler that is accustomed to ending matches quickly and needs more experience wrestling when that doesn’t happen.
Same. Exactly the same.

I imagine what bothers the staff, not that I have any great insight, is just that: they probably drill and drill and drill these issues, and he might even show progress in practice, but it’s just not being learned/absorbed. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Cael as animated as he was in last year’s postseason when talking to Joe. Frustration is probably the word that’s most appropriate.
I also don’t think it helps, and I know I drew the ire of some board members when I brought it up yesterday, that Joe not only isn’t very good, but also thinks he’s great. Acting like flexing on a kid you beat is just this isolated incident, sorry, I don’t think it is. It shows a lack of introspection and understanding of how the sport can humble you, which is what happened 2 weeks later.

Reactions: SUPERTODD
He's now 0-2 vs McKee. Which of Suriano, Glory, and Arujau is he beating?
Did you watch the match? If yes, is your impression really that this true freshman can’t beat McKee in two months?

Edit: Sorry; you didn’t say McKee; you said Suriano, Glory and Arujau. Got it.

I’d say his ceiling is consolation final and his floor is R12.

Alan Hart just crushing everyone on top this tourney, not sure why people are still choosing down on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT