ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Southern scuffle

My concern with Ayala is less result and more performances. A lot of his shots are doubles from space with no setup or ducks from space with again no setup. They’re just not good shots. He’s not working angles very well and didn’t do so in HS against top competition.

However, he’s far from a finished product and another year of progression should be very good for him.
Facundo?

Beard vs Smith

Beard looking like he’s been hitting the preacher curl bench… gets a TD 0:43 into first period. Choosing to ride and doing a good job of it. Stalling on bottom after 1:40 of riding time. Period ends 2-0 with 2:17 of RT.

Beard starts second on bottom. Out in 0:12 after getting to his feet twice. Beard clear aggressor gets TD with 0:50 left in second. 5-0 good guys. Again choosing to ride. Smith up and Beard cuts him. 5-1. Beard with a quick TD with 10 secs to go. 7-1 after 2 with 2:47 RT.

Smith starts 3rd on bottom. Gets to his feet a couple times and Beard cuts him. A couple deep single legs by Beard but unable to finish them. Then Smith shoots off restart and takes beard down. Beard immediately escapes. Ends 9-4 Beard. Maybe a little tiring at end.

Jason and Bo had outstanding Scuffles their redshirt year!
Bo was beaten in the round of 16 and medically forfeited out.
Jason looked like someone who was going to be special, but he wasn't ready for Green who wasn't an NCAA finalist that year or ever I believe.
So no, by the scuffle they weren't ready to be what they were a year later.

Maybe a little tiring at end.
giphy.gif

Beard's gas tank is why he isn't going to take the spot from Dean. If Beard ever develops a gas tank to equal his skill level he will pound even the best guys. But 4 years in he still doesn't have an elite tank, it is tough to imagine it all of a sudden showing up.

Joe Lee’s QF apparently so disturbing that flo doesnt have it up on replays.
If you would have watched it in person you would see just that. Disturbing is a good choice of words. Idk what happened to Joe Lee but it’s hard to watch a kid struggle so badly.

Snacks vs Wilson

Seth is a BIG man. Might have a future at putting stars on top of Xmas trees. He wouldn’t even need a ladder.

Good def against a Wilson shot… otherwise not a ton of action in first. 0-0 after one.

Wilson chooses bottom to start 2nd. Out in 26 secs. 0-1 bad guys. Wilson with a TD at edge of mat 52 secs in. 0-3 bad guys lead. Seth out 9 secs later. Wilson taking all the shots. Stalling against Seth. 1-3 after two.

Seth starts third on bottom. 9 secs ride adv for Wilson. Seth out in 21 secs. 2-3. Wilson still taking all the shots; Seth might need to shoot to not give up a stall point. Takes a half shot… then a real one…. Has a leg and gets TD with 4 secs to go to win 4-3!!!!

No where near.

He looked undersized against msu. Had no strength. No corners and then of course desperation shots just waste time.

His shirt is fire engine red for sure.
i had the complete opposite thought. i think he looks enormous at 165 and came over to ask if anybody knows what his cut is like. he has no strength finishing and i'm wondering if the cut is taking too much out of him.

Reactions: hlstone
i had the complete opposite thought. i think he looks enormous at 165 and came over to ask if anybody knows what his cut is like. he has no strength finishing and i'm wondering if the cut is taking too much out of him.
I would argue he lacks the necessary technique, not the necessary strength.

His legs are tiny looking to me. He's not exactly frank the tank in the chest either. But I'm ok if I'm wrong on it

Reactions: Str8DBLz
He appears to lack hand strength as well and cant break hands loose when ppl have him in a single like they are just holding on to get a stalemate.

Reactions: hlstone
Lacks the strength for the techniques he was trying to use? Nearly every time he got in on a leg, his posterior chain didn’t have the strength to pull it in.

He didn’t look overly lean to me. I’m guessing with some dietary and weight room improvements he can get leaner, stronger AND make weight.

Tomorrow:

Meredith in the consolations R12 at 133

J Lee in the consolations R12 at 157

Beard in the semifinals (against Caffey) at 197

Snacks in the consolations R12 at HWT

Also of interest: Ayala vs McKee in semifinals at 125

His legs are tiny looking to me. He's not exactly frank the tank in the chest either. But I'm ok if I'm wrong on it
lol i think he's got huge legs for how long he is. funny how subjective that can be. either way, i think the redshirt talk is probably over. forget about whether his point increase is worth it. i think edsell is actually better.

Jason looked like someone who was going to be special, but he wasn't ready for Green who wasn't an NCAA finalist that year or ever I believe.
Green lost in the national semis 3-2 to Martinez.

I agree that Jason wasn't yet who he would be, but IMO he would've made the 2015 podium if called upon. And gotten bonus in at least 1 or 2 matches.

I agree that Jason wasn't yet who he would be, but IMO he would've made the 2015 podium if called upon. And gotten bonus in at least 1 or 2 matches.
he beat realbuto, who did make the finals that year. that was probably the confusion. nolf was clearly a top 5 guy at 157 that year.

lol i think he's got huge legs for how long he is. funny how subjective that can be. either way, i think the redshirt talk is probably over. forget about whether his point increase is worth it. i think edsell is actually better.
I agree with you, I think Facundo looks enormous at 165. He’s got huge long legs, and big shoulders. I’d say he’s cutting pretty significantly.

Reactions: MVPFAN and js8793
Any idea why Tony Negron didn’t make the trip? My apologies if I missed it somewhere. I’m hoping it is because Tony has the 157 starting spot for the near future. I’m looking forward to seeing more of his matches.

I would have been shocked if Nolf's true freshman season he would not have AAed. He would have been a 4 time AA and 2 time champ (assuming wrestling straight through like Mark).

My point, as you got, but at least one didn't is that in their true freshman seasons even Nolf and Bo weren't ready to be Nolf and Bo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT