ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Bracket Release Thread

It sucks they seeded the top 2 B1G guys 8 & 9 so there’s a rematch of the conference finals in the second round. I get it if that’s how the formula worked out, but I wish they would prevent that since they just wrestled.

Just to make things interesting, whom I believe is most likely to win a national championship, in order.

The percentage measure is my % confidence in each wrestler just making it to the finals to compete for a championship.

Carter 100%
RBY 100%
Aaron 95%
Kerk 100%
Levi 80%
Beau 30%
Max 50%
Alex 5%
SVN. 5%

I know, Max & Beau. I know.

It sucks they seeded the top 2 B1G guys 8 & 9 so there’s a rematch of the conference finals in the second round. I get it if that’s how the formula worked out, but I wish they would prevent that since they just wrestled.
They used to, but got rid of the conference separation consideration. Too many other conferences were arguing the reason the Big10 dominates the medals is because they don't knock each other off.
Yeah, bullshyt I know. But repeat something over and over it becomes the truth.

They used to, but got rid of the conference separation consideration. Too many other conferences were arguing the reason the Big10 dominates the medals is because they don't knock each other off.
Yeah, bullshyt I know. But repeat something over and over it becomes the truth.
At least do it for the finalists. With the B1G, I get it’s impossible to separate 9 guys in every draw, but just preventing a repeat of the conference finals early in the tournament would be enough.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Can't find a video of the Deam Alred bout. I'm sure it's out there, but coming up empty. Link to one anyone?

Foca is super tough. They have wrestled twice though. First one was a major I believe and the 2nd was a one point match
I watched Foca vs Lewis at Las Vegas. Foca got in really deep on Lewis 4-5 times but just couldn’t finish. Lewis beat him by a 2 or 3 point margin. I know Lewis isn’t Starocci, but Starocci is the better wrestler.

Reactions: diggerpup and 1AA
If things work out the Thursday morning session should be nice warm ups. Then Thursday night hits. Most the time when the recent bigten finals match repeats its the semis or finals. Dean vs Allred really is intriguing to finish off the first night in Tulsa!

I watched Foca vs Lewis at Las Vegas. Foca got in really deep on Lewis 4-5 times but just couldn’t finish. Lewis beat him by a 2 or 3 point margin. I know Lewis isn’t Starocci, but Starocci is the better wrestler.
Lewis looked unimpressive in the ACC final. I don’t think Starocci will have too much trouble with this draw.

Just to make things interesting, whom I believe is most likely to win a national championship, in order.

The percentage measure is my % confidence in each wrestler just making it to the finals to compete for a championship.

Carter infinity%
RBY infinity%
Aaron infinityx2%
Kerk infinity%
Levi 83%
Beau 5%
Max 50%
Alex 1%
SVN. 1%

I know, Max & Beau. I know.

My edits. Criticize away.

Tell me you don’t know the Dean family without telling me you don’t know the Dean family
I'm just saying that there are some guys who haven't exactly lit it up in their 7th year, wrestling in college is a serious grind. Look at the Iowa guys from last year.

Iowa:

- Lee draws Ramos in semifinals.

- Teske, a 24 seed, gets Nagao in second round if he gets by Phillips, although it would be more interesting if Henson beat Nagao and we saw Teske vs Henson.

- Woods draws Hardy in semifinals.

- Until Yianni in the quarters, Murin has a clean path.

- Ditto Kennedy until Hamiti in quarters.

- Brands has Smith in second round and then Lewis if he can beat Smith.

- Assad draws Coleman in 2nd round.

- Warner draws Caffey. Win that and it’s Elam. I think like Warner’s draw better than Dean’s.

- Big Tony gets Schultz in quarters.
Henson STRUGGLES on bottom. Don’t see Henson getting past Nagao.

Reactions: mcpat
Since he's going 133 all season, safe to say the reason he transferred wasn't because of Woods though timing wise it seemed like it. Just weird he didn't stay at Iowa and wrestle for the spot, especially since Brody hadn't committed at the time (though maybe he knew it was in the works) I actually thought he looked pretty good at 141 redshirting last year.

With Penn State fighting it out on the front side, anyone think that Iowa is gonna be killing it on the back side after losing their second round matches or do I worry too much.
giphy.gif

Since he's going 133 all season, safe to say the reason he transferred wasn't because of Woods though timing wise it seemed like it. Just weird he didn't stay at Iowa and wrestle for the spot, especially since Brody hadn't committed at the time (though maybe he knew it was in the works) I actually thought he looked pretty good at 141 redshirting last year.
I’m surprised Henson didn’t have a better freshman year at OU. I thought he was really good redshirting as well. It’s why I was surprised Iowa took the Woods transfer when the team race was out of reach. I would have been focusing on building towards 2025/2026 if I were Iowa. But Woods has been better than I expected, Henson worse and at a different weight. So far, a good move for Iowa.

So overall how do you like Iowas draws?
Not great. However, I reflexively look at draws in terms of paths to the semis. I see 3 guys with realistic shots. Is that because of bad draws or that this team doesn't have much top 4 talent? The latter mostly. I haven't had a chance to look at possible backside draws. Most of the team has a shot at the bottom half of the podium, so that will be very important.

Hate Murin's draw obviously. Wish Siebrecht drew into Franek instead of Robb. PK's path is rough. Starts with Formato who beat him last year, then Amine, then Hamiti, then O'Toole. There isn't anywhere to hide at 165, but I'd flip places with Facundo in a heartbeat. Brands drew the kid who took Mekhi to rideouts last week. Should start that match in OT. Assad got a great frontside draw. He's competitive with both Coleman and Munoz. Warner is brutal. Worried about him wrestling back if he hits the backside early, which he probably will be r2. Wish Cass didn't have to wrestle the mountain in the quarters.

Not great. However, I reflexively look at draws in terms of paths to the semis. I see 3 guys with realistic shots. Is that because of bad draws or that this team doesn't have much top 4 talent? The latter mostly. I haven't had a chance to look at possible backside draws. Most of the team has a shot at the bottom half of the podium, so that will be very important.

Hate Murin's draw obviously. Wish Siebrecht drew into Franek instead of Robb. PK's path is rough. Starts with Formato who beat him last year, then Amine, then Hamiti, then O'Toole. There isn't anywhere to hide at 165, but I'd flip places with Facundo in a heartbeat. Brands drew the kid who took Mekhi to rideouts last week. Should start that match in OT. Assad got a great frontside draw. He's competitive with both Coleman and Munoz. Warner is brutal. Worried about him wrestling back if he hits the backside early, which he probably will be r2. Wish Cass didn't have to wrestle the mountain in the quarters.
Yeah I didn't get to break down the backside paths yet. Nationals so hard to tell what's gonna happen. On surface I'm happy I guess.

Reactions: hlstone
His seed was exposed by a couple lower seeded B1G guys last year. I doubt he even gets to Kerk.
I have watched him in person 3 times this year. He is legit. He gave Pariris a good tussle in Vegas and put a beating on some solid wrestlers this year. I don't think he will beat Kerk but he is bot a guy to take lightly. He is super aggressive making him fun to watch.

Call me crazy but I like Max draw..I thought the two guys that could give him problems is Elam and Truax and they both on opposite side. He'll beat Allred and Nino with the lights the brightest. I feel good about Max

I actually feel the same way. 197 is tough, no matter how you slice it, but he's seen Allred and Laird this year and should find a way to beat them (he will if he wants to be the national champ). He's beaten Bonacorsi before, albeit previously at 184. Obviously it's not an easy path, but if Dean wins another title, I won't be remotely surprised.

I actually feel the same way. 197 is tough, no matter how you slice it, but he's seen Allred and Laird this year and should find a way to beat them (he will if he wants to be the national champ). He's beaten Bonacorsi before, albeit previously at 184. Obviously it's not an easy path, but if Dean wins another title, I won't be remotely surprised.
d0314de8-9976-4883-9666-abdeb655042c_text.gif

Yeah I didn't get to break down the backside paths yet. Nationals so hard to tell what's gonna happen. On surface I'm happy I guess.
Just did my first full run through. No research, just initial gut reactions. I had:

1) PSU 134
2) Iowa 83
3) Nebraska 61
4) Cornell 60.5

PSU AA's: RBY (1), SVN (8), Haines (4), Starocci (1), AB (1), Dean (1), Kerk (1)

Iowa AA's: Lee (1), Woods (1), Murin (7), Brands (8), Cass (3)

Notable matches:

133: RBY over Vito final

141: Swiderski over Bartlett r12

149: Murin over Mauller r12 (mostly with my heart on this one tbh), SVN over Voinovich r12 (wayyyy better draw than Murin)

157: Andonian over Haines qtr, Robb over Haines 3rd

165: Facundo over Ramirez r2, Monday over Facundo qtr, Kharchla over Facundo r12, Amine over PK r2, Griffith over PK r12

174: Star over Mekhi final, Brands over Conigliaro r12 (awesome backside draw)

197: Dean over Allred, Nino, Bastida, Elam in succession, Elam over Warner r2, Trumble over Warner r16

285: Schultz over Cass qtr, Cass over Schultz 3rd

Last edited:
Just did my first full run through. No research, just initial gut reactions. I had:

1) PSU 134
2) Iowa 83
3) Nebraska 61
4) Cornell 60.5

PSU AA's: RBY (1), SVN (8), Haines (4), Starocci (1), AB (1), Dean (1), Kerk (1)

Iowa AA's: Lee (1), Woods (1), Murin (7), Brands (8), Cass (3)
Wow..a little surprising with your Iowa thoughts. I think I'm a little higher on Iowa than you are. Lol

Reactions: District four
I was impressed the way Nagao was able to ride RBY. It seemed RBY was being very cautious and when he tried to get out he was unable. Do you guys think RBY was just measuring Nagao for a possible rematch? I hope if RBY is up by 4 he goes neutral with his choice.

Wow..a little surprising with your Iowa thoughts. I think I'm a little higher on Iowa than you are. Lol
I added some notable matches to give some context. I don't like Iowa's backside draws. PK gets knocked out by Griffith, Warner's backside path will be Trumble/Smith then Allred/Nino/Dean in the r12. Assad, Seibrecht/Teske wrestle essentially to seed which means basically no points.

Reactions: diggerpup
I added some notable matches to give some context. I don't like Iowa's backside draws. PK gets knocked out by Griffith, Warner's backside path will be Trumble/Smith then Allred/Nino/Dean in the r12. Assad, Seibrecht/Teske wrestle essentially to seed which means basically no points.
Now you got me wanting to take a half day to go through the brackets...think I will. Lol. First thought with your post, I think if PK and Griffith meet PK is going to beat him. Think it'll be the younger, hungrier guy beating a veteran that already has his title wrestling on the backside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT