ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Bracket Release Thread

Now you got me wanting to take a half day to go through the brackets...think I will. Lol. First thought with your post, I think if PK and Griffith meet PK is going to beat him. Think it'll be the younger, hungrier guy beating a veteran that already has his title wrestling on the backside.
Use this if you do: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/2023-ncaa-wrestling-interactive-bracket.414570/

saves a ton of time and effort.

I hate the style matchup for PK.

I do think there's a path for Iowa to make it interesting. PK could end up with Olguin in the r12 and make a deep run. Assad is a one takedown match with Coleman/Munoz. Maybe he finally catches fire and makes the semis? Warner is capable of beating anybody in this bracket. Siebrecht's path to top 6 looks like Saldate, Scott, and Franek. I wouldn't pick him in any of those, but none of those guys are totally out of his league.

The problem is I see 4 finals locks for you guys. That's hard to deal with. Iowa has to be perfect.

Use this if you do: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/2023-ncaa-wrestling-interactive-bracket.414570/

saves a ton of time and effort.

I hate the style matchup for PK.

I do think there's a path for Iowa to make it interesting. PK could end up with Olguin in the r12 and make a deep run. Assad is a one takedown match with Coleman/Munoz. Maybe he finally catches fire and makes the semis? Warner is capable of beating anybody in this bracket. Siebrecht's path to top 6 looks like Saldate, Scott, and Franek. I wouldn't pick him in any of those, but none of those guys are totally out of his league.

The problem is I see 4 finals locks for you guys. That's hard to deal with. Iowa has to be perfect.
Oh yeah forgot someone always posts interactive brackets over there. Was gonna print them off. Thanks.

I was impressed the way Nagao was able to ride RBY. It seemed RBY was being very cautious and when he tried to get out he was unable. Do you guys think RBY was just measuring Nagao for a possible rematch? I hope if RBY is up by 4 he goes neutral with his choice.
Nagao is a good scrambler in neutral, and he tied up some good takedown attempts. I saw that match like you did, as RBY seemed to have a very measured approach but that has been common. Only after he breaks an opponent does he turn up the pace. One thing ... RBY took neutral in the second. Nagao took top in the third. I wouldn't expect RBY to choose down if they meet again.

It had to be a tough choice for the Minn coaches to choose top. Nagao's ride is more of a controlling ride. It isn't a turning ride. (His bonus rate is low, and he isn't a scorer). They chose top and they pretty much accepted the loss. Get the riding time point and that's it. RBY knew this too. He did turtle a lot. Other refs might ding him for his effort. But if he avoids a stall call until he goes under then he'll be fine riding it out.

His seed was exposed by a couple lower seeded B1G guys last year. I doubt he even gets to Kerk.
Hendrickson likely will reach the semis. He's much better than last year -- results showing that. He's faced a few NQs and handled all of them except Parris. Teched AJ twice.

He'll dominate the first 2 matches. Quarters depends on opponent -- Elam might get him, Trephan won't.

Nagao is a good scrambler in neutral, and he tied up some good takedown attempts. I saw that match like you did, as RBY seemed to have a very measured approach but that has been common. Only after he breaks an opponent does he turn up the pace. One thing ... RBY took neutral in the second. Nagao took top in the third. I wouldn't expect RBY to choose down if they meet again.

It had to be a tough choice for the Minn coaches to choose top. Nagao's ride is more of a controlling ride. It isn't a turning ride. (His bonus rate is low, and he isn't a scorer). They chose top and they pretty much accepted the loss. Get the riding time point and that's it. RBY knew this too. He did turtle a lot. Other refs might ding him for his effort. But if he avoids a stall call until he goes under then he'll be fine riding it out.
I think the general consensus is that Nagao is a tough matchup for RBY based on his showing at the B1Gs. That tournament was a coming out party for Nagao of sorts and the praise for his performance was well-deserved, but in terms of being a real threat to RBY at the NCAAs, the praise for Nagao was based in large part on wrestling RBY to a sort of close final where RBY led from the start and was never really in any danger of losing. Nagao is a good looking young wrestler who will be a threat to win in the future, but I'm not worried about it even slightly for this year.

I think the general consensus is that Nagao is a tough matchup for RBY based on his showing at the B1Gs. That tournament was a coming out party for Nagao of sorts and the praise for his performance was well-deserved, but in terms of being a real threat to RBY at the NCAAs, the praise for Nagao was based in large part on wrestling RBY to a sort of close final where RBY led from the start and was never really in any danger of losing. Nagao is a good looking young wrestler who will be a threat to win in the future, but I'm not worried about it even slightly for this year.
The fact that RBY chose neutral is indication enough to me that he knows how good Nagao is on top and doesn't think he gets out. Didn't the work out together in the offseason some? Bottom line, RBY needs 2 takedowns and should be fine.

The fact that RBY chose neutral is indication enough to me that he knows how good Nagao is on top and doesn't think he gets out. Didn't the work out together in the offseason some? Bottom line, RBY needs 2 takedowns and should be fine.
Every match has at least 5 minutes of neutral if RBY wants to wrestle neutral. He'll get the takedowns he needs. Nagao took top and didn't even come close to turning him. If he starts getting stall calls, he'll get out.

Was Hensen one of the kids that Brands used once or twice and blew his red shirt for no reason?

Hendrickson likely will reach the semis. He's much better than last year -- results showing that. He's faced a few NQs and handled all of them except Parris. Teched AJ twice.

He'll dominate the first 2 matches. Quarters depends on opponent -- Elam might get him, Trephan won't.
He will bonus Elam. He is head and shoulders better on his feet than Elam.

Reactions: nitlion6

As an Air Force Academy wrestling alum, I hope you are right. I think he’s a lot better than people give him credit for, but isn’t in the same tier as Kerk and Parris. I’d favor Cassioppi over him but wouldn’t be surprised if Wyatt caught him in a cradle in a scramble.

We haven’t had an AA at USAFA since 2003 when Kevin Hoy made the finals at heavyweight. Cole Von Ohlen was close multiple times. Him tearing his shoulder his senior year headed into NCAAs kept him off the podium in my opinion. 5 National Qualifiers this year is also the most since the 90s. Hoping for a decent showing.

You nailed it with this post. As for Nagao, I saw someone say that he is terrible to watch. I think that person probably hasn’t watched much of him… Aaron is better on his feet than he gives credit. He doesn’t wait around… he looks to score and he’s also a great scrambler. I can see thinking that way if you only watched him against RBY but RBY makes everyone look pedestrian in neutral. For the rematch, barring getting caught, I see no chance Nagao can beat RBY even if RBY gives up a riding time point and a stall point. RBY takes care of things on his feet. I actually think RBY is able to score more easily there this time around.

Nagao nice for a freshman and all, but he’s a flea and RBY the big dog. RBY can put a 6-2 first period on him with no trouble.

I didn't sense this at all. It is an unnecessary risk to take bottom. I also believe that if he had to get out different tactics would have been used like not turtling immediately which he knows runs the clock and Nagao tries to work in legs. The fact that he used the same technique on each restart to me is indication he wasn't trying to get out at all costs but shortening the match while he was winning.

No, that was Ayala.
This is incorrect. Ayala stepped in after Spencer Lee was done for the year. Ayala was having a good year and was projected to AA up until getting injured. He still qualified for NCAAs as a true freshman. He is redshirting this year. Would hardly call this blowing his redshirt for no reason.

Reactions: Grass and hlstone
Cael will have him shooting this time. He just needs to be quicker on the draw and if Max gets him on the mat it can only mean one thing
e676f97290ca0374bd61201446799cd0.gif

I wonder if Max chooses top this time and tries to get a turn.

Allred appeared to have a distinct advantage from neutral.

Reactions: RB-Old
wrong again. it was schriever and swafford
Wrong again? When was I wrong the first time? It doesn't look like Swafford has wrestled anything except tournaments (presumably unattached last year). Which year did he have a shirt pulled?

Wrong again? When was I wrong the first time? It doesn't look like Swafford has wrestled anything except tournaments (presumably unattached last year). Which year did he have a shirt pulled?
the poster you responded to was the first wrong. swafford got his redshirt pulled at the scuffle and then kem came back.

either way, you were 100% wrong about ayala.

Reactions: moug
Just got done watching the ACC finals which I had recorded. As Mike Evans would say, not impressed. Andonian makes plenty of mistakes which can be taken advantage of, Hidlay is less than a scoring machine, Lewis doesn't do much, and O'Conner was gifted his match by Andonian. Don't believe there is much to fear from the ACC. Just my observations.

As an Air Force Academy wrestling alum, I hope you are right. I think he’s a lot better than people give him credit for, but isn’t in the same tier as Kerk and Parris. I’d favor Cassioppi over him but wouldn’t be surprised if Wyatt caught him in a cradle in a scramble.

We haven’t had an AA at USAFA since 2003 when Kevin Hoy made the finals at heavyweight. Cole Von Ohlen was close multiple times. Him tearing his shoulder his senior year headed into NCAAs kept him off the podium in my opinion. 5 National Qualifiers this year is also the most since the 90s. Hoping for a decent showing.
What years did you wrestle for Air Force? I wrestled them a bunch during the 2000-2001 season

If things go to seed, PSU will have five in the semi’s Friday night. I may have missed it, but haven’t seen any posts on the possible consy opponents for the other four. Here is my attempt, assuming all our guys get their first loss according to seed then keep winning in the consys while all other matches go chalk, and what they need to do to meet (MS) or exceed (ES) their seeds.

Beau:
- blood round (to AA); Koderhandt(?) or D’Emilo (tOSU)
- R8 (to finish 3-6); Cornella (Cornell) MS
- CS (to finish 3-4); Hardy (Neb) ES

SVN;
- CR2; Moore (OU) MS
- CR3; Zapf (Penn) ES
- BR (AA); Thomas (NW)
- R8 (3-6); Mauller (Miss)
- CS (3-4); Henson (VT)

Facundo;
- CR2; Hall (WVU) MS
- CR3; Olejnik (NIU) ES
- BR (AA); Calliendo (NDSU)
- R8 (3-6); Kennedy (Iowa)
- CS (3-4); Ramirez (Cornell)

Max
- CR2; Stout (Prin)
- CR3; Pentz (NDSU)/Amos (W) MS
- BR (AA); Trimble (NCSt) ES
- R8 (3-6); Sloan (SDSU)
- CS (3-4); Laird (Rider)/Beard (Lehigh)

I’ll leave it to those if you more knowledgeable than me to analyze these possibilities.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the status of Killian Cardinale is? He MFF'd out of the Big 12 tourney and had to get an at-large bid and is seeded 28. He's a potential bracket buster since he has Caleb Smith (5) and DeAugustino (12) in the first two rounds, who he could potentially beat or even be favored against, but only if fully healthy. Sending those two guys to the backside early is going to really screw up some people's tournament. Of course, if he's wrestling at 50% on one leg, it's not going to matter.

Just got done watching the ACC finals which I had recorded. As Mike Evans would say, not impressed. Andonian makes plenty of mistakes which can be taken advantage of, Hidlay is less than a scoring machine, Lewis doesn't do much, and O'Conner was gifted his match by Andonian. Don't believe there is much to fear from the ACC. Just my observations.
Underestimate Andonian at your own peril. He's a guy who everybody watches and thinks "no way that junk will work on me" and then he drops you on your head.

Fortunately for Levi, I'm sure Cael is going to have a good gameplan for him.

There's only 1 returning national champ in the weight. And his title was not some fluke.

Just did my first full run through. No research, just initial gut reactions. I had:

1) PSU 134
2) Iowa 83
3) Nebraska 61
4) Cornell 60.5

PSU AA's: RBY (1), SVN (8), Haines (4), Starocci (1), AB (1), Dean (1), Kerk (1)

Iowa AA's: Lee (1), Woods (1), Murin (7), Brands (8), Cass (3)

Notable matches:

133: RBY over Vito final

141: Swiderski over Bartlett r12

149: Murin over Mauller r12 (mostly with my heart on this one tbh), SVN over Voinovich r12 (wayyyy better draw than Murin)

157: Andonian over Haines qtr, Robb over Haines 3rd

165: Facundo over Ramirez r2, Monday over Facundo qtr, Kharchla over Facundo r12, Amine over PK r2, Griffith over PK r12

174: Star over Mekhi final, Brands over Conigliaro r12 (awesome backside draw)

197: Dean over Allred, Nino, Bastida, Elam in succession, Elam over Warner r2, Trumble over Warner r16

285: Schultz over Cass qtr, Cass over Schultz 3rd
I'm very surprised you have both Dean and Kerk winning.

Just did my first full run through. No research, just initial gut reactions. I had:

1) PSU 134
2) Iowa 83
3) Nebraska 61
4) Cornell 60.5

PSU AA's: RBY (1), SVN (8), Haines (4), Starocci (1), AB (1), Dean (1), Kerk (1)

Iowa AA's: Lee (1), Woods (1), Murin (7), Brands (8), Cass (3)

Notable matches:

133: RBY over Vito final

141: Swiderski over Bartlett r12

149: Murin over Mauller r12 (mostly with my heart on this one tbh), SVN over Voinovich r12 (wayyyy better draw than Murin)

157: Andonian over Haines qtr, Robb over Haines 3rd

165: Facundo over Ramirez r2, Monday over Facundo qtr, Kharchla over Facundo r12, Amine over PK r2, Griffith over PK r12

174: Star over Mekhi final, Brands over Conigliaro r12 (awesome backside draw)

197: Dean over Allred, Nino, Bastida, Elam in succession, Elam over Warner r2, Trumble over Warner r16

285: Schultz over Cass qtr, Cass over Schultz 3rd
I just started doing this, and I'm only through 133, but the 133 blood round had some great matchups:

Mendez vs Nagao
Byrd vs Orine
Phillippi vs Latona

I wondered about Phillipi too.
Isnt he another "backpack" guy and has a ton of experience.
Yes. Phillippi is a leech on top. Maybe not a scorer but nearly impossible to shake once he hooks a leg.

Plus he has a fairly unique style on feet -- he likes to get really low, even to knees, hand fight there, then stand with a Russian tie. He doesn't necessarily score a lot with it, but he gives up very little and makes the opponent work like hell to get out of it.

And he has excellent reattacks, just ask Fix.

I'm very surprised you have both Dean and Kerk winning.
I've seen this story before. I'm going to assume the big guns show up and be pleasantly surprised if they don't. I like Kerk a lot. Probably my favorite on the team. Won't be bummed if he wins. I actually like all 3 of the top heavies. I will be pretty bummed if Dean does. I'm kind of trying to reverse jinx him. I find him dreadful to watch (yeah yeah warner but he wears the right colors).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT