ADVERTISEMENT

2023 US Open

When they made the call on the mat I thought Nick won with scoring last with both having 4 pt moves. Then ref raised Beau hand. So I thought well Beau scored last 4 pt move. And Nick seemed to think he needed to score the way he pushed so hard. Then find out Nick won later. I think they need to re-wrestle the last 30 sec. I'd bet Beau thought he needed to hold off Nick to win. Total BS either way.

Reactions: NLB_Six and mcpat
He's my avatar, in a picture with my son. He truly is as nice a guy as they portray him to be!

In fact, my daughter calls him "my best friend, J'Den" because he spent 30 mins before a clinic doing gymnastics/dance with her. Got to have breakfast with him the next morning and the man is genuine!
I believe he's either fluent in or learning sign language and a decent guitar player as well. He's like a renaissance man.

That's what I'm saying. Like why did I have to watch 3-2, 5-2 matches all season when he can pile on points like this.
I was thinking he let it fly because he's so familiar with Lee. He's more cautious when he's not sure about his opponent.

Give me a break. How can you not laugh at this point?
The circus surrounding him is hardly warranted by the on mat accomplishments. Of course the hypothetical accomplishments do merit some attention.

Just shut up and wrestle, or shut up and don't wrestle like all of the more accomplished US Senior wrestlers seem to do.
Pretty well said.

Spencer is a dog, elite of the elite. But no one died here, and the family clearly does some crazy stuff.

Lee officially beat Bartlett. That's a tough loss for Beau

I wonder how long it took them to straighten it out. When they left the mat, it still looked as if Beau won, and there was no mention on the broadcast. I pulled up the Sammy Sasso match which followed on that mat and there was no mention of it then, either.

I bailed as they were leaving the mat and then awhile later went back to see who Nick would face in the consolations and saw Bartlett listed. Switched to the Championship side and Lee was showing in the Final. Really curious how that played out, how long it took, who told the wrestlers, how they reacted, etc.

I know why, it's because wrestling is the only sport that purposefully makes it harder for its fans to follow. If they put up the brackets we'd be able to see matchups, put alerts on wrestlers we want to see and plan our day out. This way we'll end up missing good matchups and be pissed at them for ruining what should have been a great event.
They don't put the brackets up until after weigh ins 2 hours before start. The number of guys changing weight last minute or not showing up below Sr. level is a lot more than you'd expect.

I feel terrible for Spencer Lee. I do think his dad making the statement came off as weird. He must be like a 23 year old man. Jack Elway even learned to shut up at some point.
Problem is that there are a lot of folks on Team Spencer with interests beyond “Just do your best”. Tail has wagged the dog for a decade now.

Just really a coincidence that the father got admin jobs conveniently near the places Spencer, and he, wanted Spencer to end up. Just some weird stuff how that worked out.

. . . Just shut up and wrestle, or shut up and don't wrestle like all of the more accomplished US Senior wrestlers seem to do.
When you can’t produce publicity through accomplishment, then produce publicity through victimhood?

Just when we thought the drama might fade, Lar sets up a Dateline NBC special to keep the spotlight on them and make sure everyone knows the Lees are victims. Jeezum.

I feel terrible for Spencer Lee. I do think his dad making the statement came off as weird. He must be like a 23 year old man. Jack Elway even learned to shut up at some point.
I also feel terrible for Spencer.

I can understand the desire to try and get out in front of 'the hate' to minimize it based on all that was said surrounding NCAAs. And I can appreciate that Spencer may feel he's not in a place where he could remain composed during an interview. Hell Spencer could've been undergoing recovery treatment/physical therapy.

With NIL and a 5-year HWC contract, maintaining Spencer's brand could be another consideration. Brand comes with the territory, and "excuses are for wusses" became part of his brand.

So I could be more cynical and think the choice of a lengthy interview over a short press release was more about air time to advertise on behalf of the HWC. But I doubt that was the case. Pyles would never offer up a staged softball question for that purpose, right?

But in the end, I am going to go with Larry's wisdom and assume the best rather than the worst reasons and motives for the choice to have Larry do an interview with Flo.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckBlunder
You know, when I was watching it, and it ended 10-10, I thought Lee won. When they (at the time) declared Beau the winner, my first reaction was that I still do not understand freestyle.
I had the same reaction- I kinda like the no OT/criteria- and said to myself- I thought I understood how this worked. Perhaps I need re-evaluate my thoughts on criteria...

I missed Mr. Starrocci’s interview about Carter’s knee. Just when I thought I couldn’t be more done with Spencer Lee, the whole family is like
Charlize Theron Oscars GIF by Budweiser

Wrestle the couple matches and do an interview yourself..
Yeah I was hoping I could go, I didn't feel bad the first couple matches but I realized it was false hope.. I need to rehab so I can put in the effort and results the HWC, my current fans, and my future fans expects from me.
The point is this is probably 100% true as well..

I believe he's either fluent in or learning sign language and a decent guitar player as well. He's like a renaissance man.
Yes, he signed with my wife a bit (she can hear but knows sign language fluently and she saw a tattoo on his arm that has his name spelled in signs) and we listened to him play piano and sign worship songs at breakfast. Incredibly talented in a lot of areas!

Yeah I was hoping I could go, I didn't feel bad the first couple matches but I realized it was false hope.. I need to rehab so I can put in the effort and results the HWC, my current fans, and my future fans expects from me.
“He is physically unable to interview at this time. He just physically cannot interview.”

does anyone know- if it was announced before the match or was Suriano expecting him to show up.? - warmed up and everything...

I'm not very technologically savvy, but how does a camera and interviewer just happen to show up at the Lee home between sessions? Could the whole production have been staged and planned out ahead of time?
That was probably set up in a hospitality suite at the hotel where the event is being held. Just a guess. I'm sitting here in Erie.

“He is physically unable to interview at this time. He just physically cannot interview.”
That was funny.

But maybe one (or both) of his newly signed Rudis or HWC contracts have a clause that preclude him from participating in such interviews. Just maybe he is only allowed to appear, when a tournament is on-going while wearing Rudis gear in the arena's interview area.

He is now part of marketing campaigns. Protecting brand image may play a factor. As a minimum, I would think certain publicists might wish to be involved beforehand.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Someone brought up a good point on Facebook about this approach. Many fans want him to be the next coach, but he’s 24-25 and still has Dad providing cover for him whenever anything gets tough?
What makes anyone think he can coach? Yes Gable and Sanderson were/are great, but how do we know any young guy is a coach in the making, let alone an all time great coach?

Reactions: Ski
I'm not very technologically savvy, but how does a camera and interviewer just happen to show up at the Lee home between sessions? Could the whole production have been staged and planned out ahead of time?
Good question! I thought the Nicky Nails saga was way overdrawn, but, this Lee thing is possibly worse. It’s probably another manifestation of societies insatiable desire for extraneous information. I ask only: isn’t the wrestling action good enough?

I missed Mr. Starrocci’s interview about Carter’s knee. Just when I thought I couldn’t be more done with Spencer Lee, the whole family is like
Charlize Theron Oscars GIF by Budweiser
But Spencer already had an interview telling the world what a victim his mother is. We needed the husband's perspective.
I get it. She was embarrassed by her reaction being shown to millions. It's not the first time her reaction was caught on film...and replayed.
It's time to get over it. She's fortunate that the world has a 24 hour attention span. I feel worse for Vinko Bogataj. He was stuck being shown failing during every broadcast of the ONLY sports show on TV for 25 years. My guess is that he hoisted more beers over that being shown than shedding of tears.
It's over. Move on and go enjoy your kid's remaining career. Hopefully it will include a gold medal.

At first I laughed at it all, but if we are down to @Cstroke formulating a cogent response for team Spencer, there must be something VERY wrong.

Having experience interviewing people who don't want to reveal the truth I found the Mr. Lee interview cringeworthy. I try to get past the fact that Spencer is not speaking for himself and a parent is doing an interview for a college graduate but whenever he is asked questions where there isn't a clear answer or he doesn't want certain details revealed his speech cadence is completely off. He answers some questions so fluid but these are not information seeking questions but when asked specifically about injury there is a prevalent stutter and filler words until he can determine the right way to answer. So outside of speaking for you adult son, he did not present a positive image in the content and appearance of deception.

That was funny.

But maybe one (or both) of his newly signed Rudis or HWC contracts have a clause that preclude him from participating in such interviews. Just maybe he is only allowed to appear, when a tournament is on-going while wearing Rudis gear in the arena's interview area.

He is now part of marketing campaigns. Protecting brand image may play a factor. As a minimum, I would think certain publicists might wish to be involved beforehand.
Then he should have the required gear to do an interview, if that’s the case. It is a really bad look for a sponsor to have one of your athletes need a parent to do the interview. This takes helicopter parenting to a brand new level. Breaking the glasses was a spontaneous reaction. This was planned and they had time to realize how sad it looks to have a parent do the interview

Lugo's, Eierman's, and Spencer's withdrawals from the US Open, Coralville World Cup is no more, and Kemerer may best both HWC 79kgers.

The self-proclaimed GIA/HR off season from hell continues.

I will be rooting for DeSanto to pull an upset to provide some glimmer of hope.

Reactions: backdrft76
does anyone know- if it was announced before the match or was Suriano expecting him to show up.? - warmed up and everything...
Nick was ready to go, They did a “first call” for Spencer since he wasn’t there. Then someone off camera said SL WD’d, and you could tell by the look on Nick’s face he was shocked.

Then he should have the required gear to do an interview, if that’s the case. It is a really bad look for a sponsor to have one of your athletes need a parent to do the interview. This takes helicopter parenting to a brand new level. Breaking the glasses was a spontaneous reaction. This was planned and they had time to realize how sad it looks to have a parent do the interview
Yeah, but they sort of have developed a certain image for Spencer. Rudis gear tied to the circumstances seems not to comport with that image. I think Rudis wants positive brand recognition associated wins (not negative from losses or withdrawals).

Maybe it's time already for a Britney Spears-esque brand image make-over for Spencer. Embrace sensitive vulnerability over toxic masculinity, or something like that.

• Haha
Reactions: Creek Side
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT