ADVERTISEMENT

2023 US Open

Having experience interviewing people who don't want to reveal the truth I found the Mr. Lee interview cringeworthy. I try to get past the fact that Spencer is not speaking for himself and a parent is doing an interview for a college graduate but whenever he is asked questions where there isn't a clear answer or he doesn't want certain details revealed his speech cadence is completely off. He answers some questions so fluid but these are not information seeking questions but when asked specifically about injury there is a prevalent stutter and filler words until he can determine the right way to answer. So outside of speaking for you adult son, he did not present a positive image in the content and appearance of deception.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

As for Spencer, tough breaks. Guys get hurt sometimes and have to bail. It happens. Get well, jump back in the pool, and if you ultimately make the team, rep the US of A honorably.

But I have to say, the parental interview -- particularly something so lengthy and "produced" -- is just a little weird for my taste. Trying to put the most charitable spin on it, maybe Dad's effectively his agent, and if so, well ok then. But that opens up another weird can of worms in terms of branding strategy.

As for Spencer, tough breaks. Guys get hurt sometimes and have to bail. It happens. Get well, jump back in the pool, and if you ultimately make the team, rep the US of A honorably.

But I have to say, the parental interview -- particularly something so lengthy and "produced" -- is just a little weird for my taste. Trying to put the most charitable spin on it, maybe Dad's effectively his agent, and if so, well ok then. But that opens up another weird can of worms in terms of branding strategy.

Dad's his marketer.

Anyone hanging around the western Pa wrestling scene a decade ago can tell some interesting stories on the matter. Also why the chuckle was so thunderous when his listed reasons for Iowa didn't mention the old man.

don't like to see anyone get injured if Spencer was hurt he should have skipped the tourney,he wrestled 3 matches guess he could have tried one more or defaulted after it started??

People take shots at Nicky Suntan, but look at how he handled missing Olympic Trials because of Covid. There were a few stories, but he just moved on without much ceremony.

Lugo's, Eierman's, and Spencer's withdrawals from the US Open, Coralville World Cup is no more, and Kemerer may best both HWC 79kgers.

The self-proclaimed GIA/HR off season from hell continues.

I will be rooting for DeSanto to pull an upset to provide some glimmer of hope.
I don't know. I think ADS losing would further ignite the special effects show that is GIA! Gobblin would step up and assure everyone that all is beyond well and the greatest,most honorable staff in wrestling history will fix everything. I'm always reminded of the children's story "The Emperor's New Clothes" by Hans Christian Andersen. This story explains Iowa wrestling the past several years. The "Inner Circle" is forced to accept a couple of truths that are not truths at all and formulate all recipes for improvement based on these falsehoods.

1. Carl is cheating and is a scum bag who will be exposed.
2. Iowa has the best and all knowing fan base in sports.
3. Iowa style is superior and everyone else just stalls to win.
4. Recruiting is the only reason PSU dominates.
5. We have the best staff on Earth bar none.

If they could somehow replace those false truths with these truths it would let them advance without so much anger toward Cael.

1. Cael is a truly generational coach and talent. He has put together something special like Gable did before him.
2. Iowa has a ton of great fans but they are represented by a wide variety of assorted racist drunk idiots.
3. Iowa style left with Gable and pushing and hanging in collar ties is boring.
4. Recruiting matters and PSU owns it, but developing wrestlers still holds great value.
5. Our staff is excellent, but PSU has a better staff and we probably should explore bringing in a dynamic mat wrestler from outside of the program to help game plan,develop, and recruit. "Think a David Taylor or Kyle Dake type talent. Spend big and take the chance.

Actually, he'd have been fine to interview for the first three minutes, the fear was that if the interview dragged out into minute five that his knee would act up.
In which case, Pyles would get him thru the interview.

recentneglectedkinglet-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: tikk10
Holy crap, I didn't realize the interview with Daddy Lee was 20 minutes long.

And Spencer is 24 freakin' years old, time to grow up son.

I particularly liked Larry talking about Spencer being injured going back to his junior year of HS, yet he still chose Iowa and their history of "train harder, not smarter".

Too bad we won't see momma Lee in any more arenas due to being treated so poorly. Old Larry and Cathy never seemed to mind all the attention leading up to that fateful Friday evening, the BTN Off The Mat interview prominently featuring them, etc.

What an unlikable crew they've become over the last 6 weeks.

Yeah, but they sort of have developed a certain image for Spencer. Rudis gear tied to the circumstances seems not to comport with that image. I think Rudis wants positive brand recognition associated wins (not negative from losses or withdrawals).

Maybe it's time already for a Britney Spears-esque brand image make-over for Spencer. Embrace sensitive vulnerability over toxic masculinity, or something like that.
College Football GIF by Aflac Duck

If I'm in Spencer's camp I'm reaching out to Aflac for sponsorship. This could be him instead of Saban.

Reactions: danoftw
The Lee video was odd. I felt bad for him initially, but as people are saying, this is pretty silly. Why is it a dateline type interview? Why isn't Spencer doing it? He's 24. Just admit your knees are ****ed up.

I don't know. I think ADS losing would further ignite the special effects show that is GIA! Gobblin would step up and assure everyone that all is beyond well and the greatest,most honorable staff in wrestling history will fix everything. I'm always reminded of the children's story "The Emperor's New Clothes" by Hans Christian Andersen. This story explains Iowa wrestling the past several years. The "Inner Circle" is forced to accept a couple of truths that are not truths at all and formulate all recipes for improvement based on these falsehoods.

1. Carl is cheating and is a scum bag who will be exposed.
2. Iowa has the best and all knowing fan base in sports.
3. Iowa style is superior and everyone else just stalls to win.
4. Recruiting is the only reason PSU dominates.
5. We have the best staff on Earth bar none.

If they could somehow replace those false truths with these truths it would let them advance without so much anger toward Cael.

1. Cael is a truly generational coach and talent. He has put together something special like Gable did before him.
2. Iowa has a ton of great fans but they are represented by a wide variety of assorted racist drunk idiots.
3. Iowa style left with Gable and pushing and hanging in collar ties is boring.
4. Recruiting matters and PSU owns it, but developing wrestlers still holds great value.
5. Our staff is excellent, but PSU has a better staff and we probably should explore bringing in a dynamic mat wrestler from outside of the program to help game plan,develop, and recruit. "Think a David Taylor or Kyle Dake type talent. Spend big and take the chance.
That's a bridge too far for fanatics (even if they'd be willing to fight at it).

The Lee video was odd. I felt bad for him initially, but as people are saying, this is pretty silly. Why is it a dateline type interview? Why isn't Spencer doing it? He's 24. Just admit your knees are ****ed up.
Lars is over the top and here comes coach Phil to take his place except his son isn't nearly as good. I can't wait for the coach Phil interviews!

Yeah it’s weird. It’s as if the Lee family thinks everyone watching only cares about Spencer Lee. Hell you had an Olympic Gold Medlaist in the tournament. So many great wrestlers yesterday. I didn’t see any other parents interviews after an injury.

My take..if you too injured to wrestle the whole tourney, don’t enter. If he reinjured himself after his quarters match, then W/D like a normal person. If someone asks you a question, tell the truth..shouldn’t be this much drama every time he enters a tournament

Having experience interviewing people who don't want to reveal the truth I found the Mr. Lee interview cringeworthy. I try to get past the fact that Spencer is not speaking for himself and a parent is doing an interview for a college graduate but whenever he is asked questions where there isn't a clear answer or he doesn't want certain details revealed his speech cadence is completely off. He answers some questions so fluid but these are not information seeking questions but when asked specifically about injury there is a prevalent stutter and filler words until he can determine the right way to answer. So outside of speaking for you adult son, he did not present a positive image in the content and appearance of deception.
Thx, KPS. That’s some next level interview analysis and insight.

Now if we could just get body language, lie detection, and public relations experts to weigh in, we should be able to issue a formal board assessment of Lar’s interview and the entire Lee clan soon. ;)

Joking aside, I had a bit of a different take and came away with the impression that Pyles and Lar rehearsed the interview but Lar forgot some of his lines and had to ad lib at times.

And maybe having dad do the interview was the Lee’s way of trying to rehabilitate the family’s image and neutralize the optics of mom’s public meltdown. For some reason I can imagine Pyles making that pitch to Lar. Either way, the interview did have a bit of a LeBron James “The Decision” feel to it.

They want to tell the world that Spencer's injuries are the reason he did not win the NCAA championship and are the reason he had to forfiet befor wrestling Suriano (the first real threat to beating Spencer at the Open) but Spencer cannot make such excuses because "excuses are for wussies." So they send his dad out to make the excuses for him. Given Spencer's severe knee problems, which are completely valid excuses for why he lost and why he MF, Spencer has placed himself in a difficult position by embracing "excuses are for wussies" if he actually wants the world to know about his valid excuses.

Holy crap, I didn't realize the interview with Daddy Lee was 20 minutes long.

What an unlikable crew they've become over the last 6 weeks.
The Iowa affect. Push and shove and demand the referee intercede on your behalf. Whine, pout and be angry when he doesn't.

It ain't just an Iowa wrestling style, when not careful it manifests into a lifestyle.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT