ADVERTISEMENT

2023 US Open

Expression Reaction GIF by Steve Harvey TV
Was that you? Wasn’t me. I can’t find it now, but it was a solid point.

There are 10 fantastic US Open Finals, but everyone is talking about the ducker in Iowa, his weird parents, broken glasses & the super weird old man interview.

Family of weird-os should go away for a long while, and stop taking spotlight away from the wrestlers who actually wrestle.

Brooks versus Valencia could be fun. If I remember correctly, it got somewhat chippy the last time they met. Valencia seemed to think he was not being respected enough.
It definitely got chippy. I’m pretty sure those 2 don’t like each other much which should lead to a great match. AB’s defense has gotten so good and he’s really controlling people with his underhook. Will be interesting to see if he can use it to control space against Zahid. I’m picking AB but feel like it’s a true toss up match. I’m also not a Zahid fan so I’d love to see AB beat him and have 2 NLWC/PSU guys ahead of him. I would also love/hate to see a best of 3 between AB/DT. Don’t think AB is quite ready to take out DT but these young guys don’t seem to be intimidated and have come to wrestle. Never thought the Bartlett/Lee match would be so close

There are 10 fantastic US Open Finals, but everyone is talking about the ducker in Iowa, his weird parents, broken glasses & the super weird old man interview.

Family of weird-os should go away for a long while, and stop taking spotlight away from the wrestlers who actually wrestle.
And in the realm of "things we can control," maybe we collectively can stop obsessing over the guy, his family, and coaches so much? Maybe? Bueller?

I’m so sick of Spencer. I’m holding out hope he steps away to get healthy and everyone forgets about him for awhile. IF and it’s a big if, he does get healthy I’ll be interested again but right now I just hope he fades away.

Lugo's, Eierman's, and Spencer's withdrawals from the US Open, Coralville World Cup is no more, and Kemerer may best both HWC 79kgers.

The self-proclaimed GIA/HR off season from hell continues.

I will be rooting for DeSanto to pull an upset to provide some glimmer of hope.
OK I have tried and tried, but I cannot figure out what GIA means. Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Ruby Tues
I had no idea Sam Herring was so good at greco. Made the U17 team at 60kg. I really love seeing a lot of the top young kids from across the country but especially PA doing both styles. Bassett, the Raney brothers, Adam Waters, Botero, Sledzianowski, and Herring are just a few of the kids that are doing both styles. Bassett got teched fairly early and then lost to Jayden Raney on the backside but Herring, Sledzianowski, Waters, and Jordyn Raney all made the team. Shows how much these kids love to wrestle

Last edited:
It definitely got chippy. I’m pretty sure those 2 don’t like each other much which should lead to a great match. AB’s defense has gotten so good and he’s really controlling people with his underhook. Will be interesting to see if he can use it to control space against Zahid. I’m picking AB but feel like it’s a true toss up match. I’m also not a Zahid fan so I’d love to see AB beat him and have 2 NLWC/PSU guys ahead of him. I would also love/hate to see a best of 3 between AB/DT. Don’t think AB is quite ready to take out DT but these young guys don’t seem to be intimidated and have come to wrestle. Never thought the Bartlett/Lee match would be so close
Who could forget “im gonna pin you in March”

Any updates on injury to Carter? Pray it is not serious
It was good enough for him to finish the match--but his motion was severely compromised, and his motion is his biggest strength. Haven't seen any updates, don't expect any either.

Having experience interviewing people who don't want to reveal the truth I found the Mr. Lee interview cringeworthy. I try to get past the fact that Spencer is not speaking for himself and a parent is doing an interview for a college graduate but whenever he is asked questions where there isn't a clear answer or he doesn't want certain details revealed his speech cadence is completely off. He answers some questions so fluid but these are not information seeking questions but when asked specifically about injury there is a prevalent stutter and filler words until he can determine the right way to answer. So outside of speaking for you adult son, he did not present a positive image in the content and appearance of deception.
And didn’t Pyles miss a Golden opportunity to ask Lar about certain calls to certain individuals where he promised meetings with TnT?

Is he wrestling back?
I was just about to ask the same thing. If he does his likely first match would be against Marinelli. I really doubt he competes today though. His movement was so compromised and he had no power on his penetration steps.

The whole Spencer lost because of his knees needs to stop. At nationals he flat out got outwrestled and beat by a better competitor.

In the Open he was fine, right up to the moment he was going to wrestle a well conditioned truck. My opinion is he knew he wasn't going to have anything for Suriano so his conclusion was why bother.

And didn’t Pyles miss a Golden opportunity to ask Lar about certain calls to certain individuals where he promised meetings with TnT?
Or missed an an opportunity to ask Lar if wifey has gotten a new pair of specs?

Reactions: danoftw
I could be wrong, but I believe AB controls the match from start to finish.

Yeah it’s weird. It’s as if the Lee family thinks everyone watching only cares about Spencer Lee. Hell you had an Olympic Gold Medlaist in the tournament. So many great wrestlers yesterday. I didn’t see any other parents interviews after an injury.

My take..if you too injured to wrestle the whole tourney, don’t enter. If he reinjured himself after his quarters match, then W/D like a normal person. If someone asks you a question, tell the truth..shouldn’t be this much drama every time he enters a tournament
The drama doesn't come when he enters a tournament, just whenever he exits without winning it.

I am clearly in the minority, but I felt sorry for Spencer at NCAA's. I felt sorry for his mother when her emotional reaction went viral and resulted in the creation of hundreds of memes and jokes. I even felt sorry for Larry after about 5 minutes of his interview. Too long and Too many questions which led to some cringe-worthy moments. There.....I said it

I am clearly in the minority, but I felt sorry for Spencer at NCAA's. I felt sorry for his mother when her emotional reaction went viral and resulted in the creation of hundreds of memes and jokes. I even felt sorry for Larry after about 5 minutes of his interview. Too long and Too many questions which led to some cringe-worthy moments. There.....I said it
There is another angle that showed his mom just sitting and looking down (and crying) after the glasses moment. If you don't feel sympathy for her as a human there ... I don't know what to say.

End of this video (last 6 seconds)

One other thing: Some are saying that Spencer is a college graduate and should learn to speak for himself. From what I have heard......he is not yet a college graduate. My sources tell me he got an "F" on both research papers his parents wrote for him. :)

Lord I apologize. Denis Leary was right when he wrote that song about me. I really am an A$$hole.
PS: "I bet you think this song was about you" :)
PPS: I really meant what I said about feeling sorry for them......I just can't help myself

Last edited:
I don't understand why they didn't just have HWC release a statement, not even having dad do the interview.

"Spencer Lee entered US Open optimistically but rushed as it was the only path to Final X in 2023. It was his hope he could push through and rehab a little longer to be fully ready to win the world spot and subsequently a medal after that. He competed hard but is now physically unable to continue and as such will be withdrawing from the tournament to get healthy for future freestyle competition. He understands this decision will disappoint many and while he regrets it, it is the right one at this moment"

There is another angle that showed his mom just sitting and looking down (and crying) after the glasses moment. If you don't feel sympathy for her as a human there ... I don't know what to say.

End of this video (last 6 seconds)
A whole lot of people lose a lot more than Lee. A whole lo9t of parents don't act like this.

My thought on Lee is if you don’t like it, don’t watch the interview or devote a 1000 posts about it.
Too many posters here with ADHD / OCD can't drop a topic.

Such as, there will still be a dozen or more posts about SL during the US Open finals tonight, along with another half dozen posts by freestyle haters dropping in to say "fReEsTyLe sUcKs i cAn'T uNdErStAnD tHe sCoRiNg!!"

[yawn emoji]

Too many posters here with ADHD / OCD can't drop a topic.

Such as, there will still be a dozen or more posts about SL during the US Open finals tonight, along with another half dozen posts by freestyle haters dropping in to say "fReEsTyLe sUcKs i cAn'T uNdErStAnD tHe sCoRiNg!!"

[yawn emoji]
Don't forget some tit-for-tat about whether or not that one post of mine was homertastic or not! :p

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
Meanwhile...

Morgan is on deck on mat 9 vs Gunderson

After one, Morgan is up anywhere between 4-0 and 10-0 pending a review. Initial exposure call for 2 to make it 6-0 was challenged by a brick, then Morgan proceeded to get some guts, but not before the table judge had called for the action to be stopped....score now reads 9-2 and the 2nd is starting...wins it 12-2 w/ a step out and a takedown.

Last edited:
I'm not a doctor but the position Starocci hurt his knee didn't look like anything like would imply a tear or anything. Just a powerful double from a grown man.

Beau vs Ashnault in the hole on Mat 10.
Ashnault the very definitition of passivity, ducking holds, back peddling. Somehow Beau gets put on the clock first, but hits a sweet shot and quick finish. Leads 2-0 after 1. Beau adds a step out, then ashnault gets a td 3-2, then Beau gets another step out w/ a caution +1 on Ashnault added, Ashnault protested after the restart, Beau don't care, hits a sweet double. another caution & 1 (not sure why) and it ends 8-2!

Also--guess who was sitting right behind coach Casey the whole match, cheering Beau on? Yep, Nick Lee.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT