ADVERTISEMENT

2024 B1Gs - Day 2

The Turley-Sparks consolation bout was also filled with challenges that took way too long to sort out. The scoring was changed 2 or 3 times, after a lengthy delay each time. Turley ended up winning 10-9.

The challenges have gotten out of hand during this tournament. It feels like every match is being delayed. (I know that is an exaggeration, but, that is how it feels)

Score going into 7th place matches (MICH and PSU have no wrestlers this next session)

Team Scores
Penn State​
143.0​
Michigan​
122.5​
Nebraska​
105.0​
Iowa​
103.5​
Ohio State​
82.0​

Penn State is 22-2 (24 total matches)
Michigan is 24-8 (32 total matches)

And all teams except PSU and Mich are mathematically eliminated from 1st place.

Who questioned that it is in doubt? Obviously, we are all concerned, and it doesn't seem like any of us actually know what is going to happen. Hell, Cael admitted that Carter wasn't happy with him. The situation is a bummer. I'm just going to hope that it works out well for all involved.

I think that we know that Carter can be impulsive with some of his actions and comments. That’s one of the things that I like about him, and it makes him entertaining.

In my opinion, we will see him lace them up in two weeks.

I think that we know that Carter can be impulsive with some of his actions and comments. That’s one of the things that I like about him, and it makes him entertaining.

isn't he going for his 4th NCAA title? Why would he cut off his nose....etc.

He's not happy with cael...but we have a coach for a reason and if he felt Carter would be better off waiting two weeks, it's his decision.

When they get back, hopefully they'll sit down and work this out. Would Carter rather go out as a 4 time champ or a guy who walked away from his team?

Reactions: USPMAN and Ski
Penn State will win away win natty 11 in 13 years. No idea why Starocci’s decision in 2 weeks is a top 50 concern.

Literally in a .000001% position to have a “love to have you but only if you’re all in with us” attitude that basically no fanbase in any sport ever gets to have. I imagine the coaching staff is approaching it similarly.

Anyways, this is the best time in history to be a Penn State wrestling fan. Enjoy it as I do.

I know this is tongue in cheek, however, you haven’t been to GIA lately!!!! They are about to send the Brands brothers down the river!!! 😂😂
It's like clockwork. Sun rises in the east. Snow in PA in March. Daylight savings time. Post season wrestling is here.

In the fall it will be pulling out every magical scenario, including multiple acts of God and acts of Congress, on how Iowa will beat PSU.

I know this is tongue in cheek, however, you haven’t been to GIA lately!!!! They are about to send the Brands brothers down the river!!! 😂😂
Just the ignorant Hawkeye fans. They don't realize what they have in Brands. I mean, how many coaches would have "gamed" their guy a 14 seed for the best possible match-up? They took Teskes probable 6 seed and turned it into the kid wrestling for 5th or 6th. Brilliant I tell ya... sheer brilliance!!

Did Byers logoff for the session? I seemed to have lost him on LionVision.

He's gone. Quit. Did the splits and flipped double birds at PSU and abandoned his post and career. Somehow he managed to then hop on the PSU chopper and head back to SC without permission. Sheesh, can't you read between the lines?!

🤪

Last edited:
The challenges have gotten out of hand during this tournament. It feels like every match is being delayed. (I know that is an exaggeration, but, that is how it feels)
Agree . HOWEVER ....

In the Van Dee-Teske and Turley-Spark boutss, I think at least two challenges were successful in both matches. So, at least in these cases, presumably the system worked to get the calls right( i.e., the initial on-mat calls were changed). The bigger problem may be the length of time needed to resolve each challenge.

Byers usually injects umpteen caveats before projecting a win that the math doesn’t support—even he is getting complacent with all of our success.

If you don't like a User's posts, put them on Ignore. People are entitled to their opinions.

If they aren't breaking the Rules (i.e racism, sexism, homophobia, politics, direct threats of violence), they won't be banned. But constant bickering and name calling may put you in timeout for a bit, as previously eluded to.

If you wanna call each other names, at least grow up and take it like adults if you're gonna dish it out.

The Ferrari thread had 30 posts from various Users deleted the other day. Now the Carter thread is locked. This thread is going that way too if you guys don't knock it off.

Aren't they limited by team when their challenges do not overturn the ref's call?

If you don't like a User's posts, put them on Ignore. People are entitled to their opinions.

If they aren't breaking the Rules (i.e racism, sexism, homophobia, politics, direct threats of violence), they won't be banned. But constant bickering and name calling may put you in timeout for a bit, as previously eluded to.

If you wanna call each other names, at least grow up and take it like adults if you're gonna dish it out.

The Ferrari thread had 30 posts from various Users deleted the other day. Now the Carter thread is locked. This thread is going that way too if you guys don't knock it off.
As soon as posters get way out of hand I put them on ignore. They stay there. Makes reading faster and much more pleasant.

Interesting seeding implication tonight for 165. Hamiti wins he is likely maxed at the 4 seed regardless of O'toole/Carr result, a Mitch win likely puts him at the 2 seed with outside shot at 1. A Mitch win amd O'toole win though is probably what we are hoping for as that should make Mitch the 2, put O'toole and Carr as the 1/4 and Hamiti likely 5?

Reactions: PSU James

He's not happy with cael...but we have a coach for a reason and if he felt Carter would be better off waiting two weeks, it's his decision.

When they get back, hopefully they'll sit down and work this out. Would Carter rather go out as a 4 time champ or a guy who walked away from his team?
Cael wins no matter what Carter thinks. If there is a rift, someone will resolve it otherwise Carter is stupid to throw away a chance at 4 titles. I do not think there is any rift like some suggest. Completely being over blown. Fake news. Conspiracy theory only…. Book it.

Reactions: Fatmarc and zzs006

Definitely a tricky part of coaching. The same thing happened with “Nicky Transfer”. The coaches job is to understand their goals and protect them from themselves which the coaches have done. And they absolutely should do!

Carter has the right to be mad, upset, all of that. I don’t think he has he right to leave his team and not support them. But, I also think guys deserve a little grace when trying to figure out life. So I suspect he will be back and ready to rock in two weeks. If not, then Carter isn’t who we all thought he was.

Could NOT agree more! Also, we could just be civil and “agree to disagree” instead of the all the rest.

Life just isn't worth competing for the last word with some people. It's a lesson the anonymous internet communities of the world will probably never learn, though. In spite of our desire to the contrary, even.
Yeah but

duty_calls.png

It's like clockwork. Sun rises in the east. Snow in PA in March. Daylight savings time. Post season wrestling is here.

In the fall it will be pulling out every magical scenario, including multiple acts of God and acts of Congress, on how Iowa will beat PSU.
Keuter and Arnold not wrestling (and all the sure titlists not wrestling due to the gambling) will supercharge their fever dreams this offseason. Arnold in particular will likely be their preseason Hodge favorite based on his 4-2? win against Feldcamp

Probably no one on this board knows what was said in the Sanderson-Starocci conversations over the last 2 weeks. However, it seems pretty clear that Starroci wanted to wrestle at B1Gs, thought he could wrestle, and apparently was even expecting to wrestle (perhaps until minutes prior to his quarter-final bout).

The thing I don't understand is why the PSU staff isn't more forthright and manage the expectations differently, rather than clinging to the "he heals fast and is doing a lot better than expected, but we'll have to wait and see" mantra. Just directly say up front, publicly and in conversations with Starocci, "We're not going to take any chance of needlessly aggravating the injury at B1Gs, so he's not going to wrestle at B1Gs unless he 100% healed, which the doctors expect will be unlikely".

I'm no insider, but just don't understand the approach taken by the coaching staff. Didn't get it for the Nicky Cruiseliner situation, and don't get it for the Starocci situation.

Last edited:
Probably no one on this board knows what was said in the Sanderson-Starocci conversations over the last 2 weeks. However, it seems pretty clear that Starroci wanted to wrestle at B1Gs, thought he could wrestle, and apparently was even expecting to wrestle (perhaps until minutes prior to his quarter-final bout).

The thing I don't understand is why the PSU staff isn't more forthright and manage the expectations differently, rather than clinging to the "he heals fast and doing a lot better than expected, but we'll have to wait and see" mantra. Just directly say up front, publicly and in conversations with Starocci, "We're not going to take any chance of needlessly aggravating the injury at B1Gs, so he's not going to wrestle at B1Gs unless he 100% healed, which the doctors expect will be unlikely".

I'm no insider, but just don't understand the approach taken by the coaching staff. Didn't get it for the Nicky Cruiseliner situation, and don't get if for the Starocci situation.

Good post and I have the same questions. I don't understand how this communication didn't occur prior to Carter stepping on the bus. Again, like you said, none of us truly know what was or wasn't said.

Reactions: Ski and psu00
Definitely a tricky part of coaching. The same thing happened with “Nicky Transfer”. The coaches job is to understand their goals and protect them from themselves which the coaches have done. And they absolutely should do!

Carter has the right to be mad, upset, all of that. I don’t think he has he right to leave his team and not support them. But, I also think guys deserve a little grace when trying to figure out life. So I suspect he will be back and ready to rock in two weeks. If not, then Carter isn’t who we all thought he was.

You're going to judge Carter Starocci? Good grief some of you are unreal. Who precisely are you to pass judgement on Carter Starocci??? I believe Starrocci has quite a bit more "equity" than you do in regards to PSU wrestling and this year's team.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski and Yanks49
Interesting seeding implication tonight for 165. Hamiti wins he is likely maxed at the 4 seed regardless of O'toole/Carr result, a Mitch win likely puts him at the 2 seed with outside shot at 1. A Mitch win amd O'toole win though is probably what we are hoping for as that should make Mitch the 2, put O'toole and Carr as the 1/4 and Hamiti likely 5?
For real..I love this …..i am nominating you to seed the bracket! Go Mitch

Last edited:
We're 1 hour out from this afternoon's matchups:

Championship125#6 Braeden Davis (PSU)#4 Patrick McKee (MINN)Mat 3[Championship] 125 — #6 Braeden Davis (PSU) vs #4 Patrick McKee (MINN) - Mat 3
Championship133#1 Dylan Ragusin (MICH)#2 Dylan Shawver (RUT)Mat 3[Championship] 133 — #1 Dylan Ragusin (MICH) vs #2 Dylan Shawver (RUT) - Mat 3
Championship141#1 Beau Bartlett (PSU)#2 Jesse Mendez (OSU)Mat 3[Championship] 141 — #1 Beau Bartlett (PSU) vs #2 Jesse Mendez (OSU) - Mat 3
Championship149#1 Ridge Lovett (NEB)#2 Austin Gomez (MICH)Mat 3[Championship] 149 — #1 Ridge Lovett (NEB) vs #2 Austin Gomez (MICH) - Mat 3
Championship157#1 Levi Haines (PSU)#7 Will Lewan (MICH)Mat 3[Championship] 157 — #1 Levi Haines (PSU) vs #7 Will Lewan (MICH) - Mat 3
Championship165#2 Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU)#1 Dean Hamiti (WIS)Mat 3[Championship] 165 — #2 Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU) vs #1 Dean Hamiti (WIS) - Mat 3
Championship174#2 Shane Griffith (MICH)#4 Edmond Ruth (ILL)Mat 3[Championship] 174 — #2 Shane Griffith (MICH) vs #4 Edmond Ruth (ILL) - Mat 3
Championship184#3 Bernie Truax (PSU)#1 Isaiah Salazar (MINN)Mat 3[Championship] 184 — #3 Bernie Truax (PSU) vs #1 Isaiah Salazar (MINN) - Mat 3
Championship197#1 Aaron Brooks (PSU)#3 Zach Glazier (IOWA)Mat 3[Championship] 197 — #1 Aaron Brooks (PSU) vs #3 Zach Glazier (IOWA) - Mat 3
Championship285#1 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU)#2 Nick Feldman (OSU)Mat 3[Championship] 285 — #1 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU) vs #2 Nick Feldman (OSU) - Mat 3
3rd Place133#5 Aaron Nagao#4 Jacob Van Dee (NEB)Mat 1[3rd Place] 133 — #5 Aaron Nagao vs #4 Jacob Van Dee (NEB) - Mat 1
3rd Place149#4 Tyler Kasak#6 Ethen Miller (MD)Mat 1[3rd Place] 149 — #4 Tyler Kasak vs #6 Ethen Miller (MD) - Mat 1

We're 1 hour out from this afternoon's matchups:

Championship125#6 Braeden Davis (PSU)#4 Patrick McKee (MINN)Mat 3[Championship] 125 — #6 Braeden Davis (PSU) vs #4 Patrick McKee (MINN) - Mat 3
Championship133#1 Dylan Ragusin (MICH)#2 Dylan Shawver (RUT)Mat 3[Championship] 133 — #1 Dylan Ragusin (MICH) vs #2 Dylan Shawver (RUT) - Mat 3
Championship141#1 Beau Bartlett (PSU)#2 Jesse Mendez (OSU)Mat 3[Championship] 141 — #1 Beau Bartlett (PSU) vs #2 Jesse Mendez (OSU) - Mat 3
Championship149#1 Ridge Lovett (NEB)#2 Austin Gomez (MICH)Mat 3[Championship] 149 — #1 Ridge Lovett (NEB) vs #2 Austin Gomez (MICH) - Mat 3
Championship157#1 Levi Haines (PSU)#7 Will Lewan (MICH)Mat 3[Championship] 157 — #1 Levi Haines (PSU) vs #7 Will Lewan (MICH) - Mat 3
Championship165#2 Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU)#1 Dean Hamiti (WIS)Mat 3[Championship] 165 — #2 Mitchell Mesenbrink (PSU) vs #1 Dean Hamiti (WIS) - Mat 3
Championship174#2 Shane Griffith (MICH)#4 Edmond Ruth (ILL)Mat 3[Championship] 174 — #2 Shane Griffith (MICH) vs #4 Edmond Ruth (ILL) - Mat 3
Championship184#3 Bernie Truax (PSU)#1 Isaiah Salazar (MINN)Mat 3[Championship] 184 — #3 Bernie Truax (PSU) vs #1 Isaiah Salazar (MINN) - Mat 3
Championship197#1 Aaron Brooks (PSU)#3 Zach Glazier (IOWA)Mat 3[Championship] 197 — #1 Aaron Brooks (PSU) vs #3 Zach Glazier (IOWA) - Mat 3
Championship285#1 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU)#2 Nick Feldman (OSU)Mat 3[Championship] 285 — #1 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU) vs #2 Nick Feldman (OSU) - Mat 3
3rd Place133#5 Aaron Nagao#4 Jacob Van Dee (NEB)Mat 1[3rd Place] 133 — #5 Aaron Nagao vs #4 Jacob Van Dee (NEB) - Mat 1
3rd Place149#4 Tyler Kasak#6 Ethen Miller (MD)Mat 1[3rd Place] 149 — #4 Tyler Kasak vs #6 Ethen Miller (MD) - Mat 1
Thanks, again for all the updates. This board is the best!

Michigan isn’t mathematically eliminated, but, the max they can score is 161.5. That’s winning every match by fall. That 161.5 max drops a few points with every loss and every win that is not by pin. This thing is over.

Wrestlestats predictions for tonight..

Nagao dec Van Dee 7-6
Kasak dec Miller 7-5
McKee dec Davis 8-7
Mendez dec Bartlett 5-4
Haines dec Lewan 6-3
Hamiti dec Mesenbrink 11-6
Salazar dec Truax 7-4
Brooks dec Glazier 9-4
Kerk dec . Feldman 7-3

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT