ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympics Wrestling (merged)

He says he wants to compete until he's 40--so 3 more Olympic cycles?
I hope Kyle achieves his dreams and does it all in State College! But I think the question will be what his capabilities against the rest of the world will be going forward and, if he isn't medaling consistently any longer, will he have a change of heart? I think AB will be a very difficult hurdle to overcome for Snyder if AB commits to moving up and continuing to train for the next Olympic cycle. Much like Varner stepped away as a competitor and became Snyder's coach and advocate, I could see Kyle doing the same thing for AB and transitioning more into coaching than he's currently planning to do.

Anyone know if the United States ever considered dropping folkstyle in favor of freestyle at the high school or college levels?

Anyone know if the United States ever considered dropping folkstyle in favor of freestyle at the high school or college levels?
Half Baked Boo GIF

The final wrestling match of the 2024 Olympics.

76kg WFS Gold Medal Match - Kennedy Alexis Blades VS Yuka Kagami (JPN)

P1:
Here we go!
Circling & head tapping, then Blades with a collar tie & they break
Tying up again, Kagami pushing forward a little & they break
Blades much taller than Kagami
Circling & head tapping
Blades passivity warning
Blades shoots off the whistle, nothing
Kagami shoots, Blades evades & they're back to the center
Blades 2nd passivity warning, goes on the clock, 4:50 left
Tying up & hand fighting, then breaking
Kagami shot clock point, 1-0
Kagami shoots, Blades counters & drives her out of bounds, 1-1, adv Blades, restart, 3:56 left
Tying up, Blades with a collar tie & hand fighting & they break
Stoppage, restart, 3:30 left
Kagami drops in on a leg off the whistle, Blades sprawling & she gets an ankle, Blades hangs on as the period expires
1-1, adv Blades

P2:
Back to action
Circling, then collar ties & hand fighting & they break
Kagami tries an under hook, nothing, Kagami shoots, Blades counters & almost drives Kagami out of bounds, but no scoring & they're back to circling in the center. Lots of action there. 90-sec left
Kagami driving forward, Blades on the edge & Kagami drives Blades out for 2, 3-1, restart, 1:22 left
Circling & tying up, 1-min left
Blades snaps, nothing, fakes & then goes to a collar tie
Blades shoots, but Kagami backs out, stalemate, 34-sec left
Circling, Blades faking, shoots, nothing, Kagami on the edge, but she circles back in, Blades shoots, Kagami holding on as time expires. Kagami's defense was solid & Kennedy just couldn't find an opening.

Yuka Kagami DEC Kennedy Alexis Blades 3-1

Kennedy Blades wins a Silver medal!

Last edited:
A bit strange, last September Team USA had a decidedly veteran world medal DNA. 1 year later we may absolutely see legends DT, Dake, JB, Green and Zain all riding off into the sunset within the same brief period. That's half of a GOAT team right there. We knew some were close, but I didn't know anyone saw that big of a transition that fast. Now what we need is a lot more world competition experience. I hope the new crop enters every international tournament possible.

Snyder made his comment about wrestling for another decade a couple of years ago. I didn't know that a reassessment doesn't happen. There is no substitute for winning to build optimism, and no substitute for father time when you are not. He is far from retirement age, but he also isn't the dominant destroyer he was. There was a time when only 1 guy in the world could beat him, and it really wasn't that close.

The same can be said for both Dake and DT.

I really think that side hussels, external commitments, wives and kids change the dynamic more than most are willing to admit. Like it or not the difference between world champion and 4th at this level can look like the grand canyon on the mat, but in the training room and beyond is more like a razor's edge. I am totally convinced that is what happened to DT, he saw trials as more as a part of an automatic process and with 2 of 3 he could coast a bit. No disrespect to AB, as he is on a path to gold medals, likely within a year

No doubt the next wave of PSU graduates will help fill the USA roster and keep us fans excited for a long time to come. This is the end of an era, and the best top to bottom team we have ever had IMO. The great news is we could have said that about our PSU folk team at least 3 times in the past decade and that train ain't stopping anytime soon! :)

Reactions: Ja1339
The world is dedicated to FS wrestling. The US is not… need to make Cael head of the Olympic FS program and let him recruit committed FS wrestlers.

Reactions: m.knox
Aaron Brooks Interview After Winning the Bronze Medal Match

Aaron’s interview exemplifies the approach and principles that Cael and company have established:
1. Wrestling is a small part of life and should be viewed as a game that we use to become the best version of ourselves.
2. While winning is fun, giving maximim effort and being grateful for each opportunity we have to compete is what really matters.
3. If we live by the first two principles (in wrestling or anything we do in life) we can be satisfied with whatever outcome we achieve and live a productive and fulfilling life.

Nearly all of our wrestlers, (past and present) have bought into this. As a result, they have fun, enjoy competing, are gracious in defeat (which rarely occurs) and usually wrestle their best when the pressure is on.

Compare this philosophy with what we see from many other programs and individual wrestlers, and the contrast is striking.

We don't need to completely change wrestling in the US because of one "bad" Olympics (which wasn't even that bad).

Take a deep breath and go look at how we've been doing internationally the past decade or so across cadets, juniors, and senior (hint: pretty well).

USA wrestling is doing just fine.

The world is dedicated to FS wrestling. The US is not… need to make Cael head of the Olympic FS program and let him recruit committed FS wrestlers.
Who among Team USA has not been committed to freestyle?

And before you say "folkstyle" -- all of these guys have been wrestling freestyle since youth. And except for Aaron -- whose folkstyle focus hindered him against David Taylor twice -- none has wrestled folk in over a year, most for much longer than that.

This is all about expectations. The rest of the world combined is pretty good. Sometimes we forget that.

why would the USA do something stupid like dropping folkstyle?at least you can follow the rules and have to actually put someone on their back to score points!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT