ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympics Wrestling (merged)

Dake & Takatani yucking it up for the cameras with some karate stances & lots of laughs. A couple of happy wrestlers having fun.
Good to see Dake happy after his performance. I hate piling on Spencer but this is what everyone is talking about. He takes silver, while disappointing, is still a massive achievement and one he should be celebrating. Instead he’s mad and pouting while his teammates who also didn’t reach their goals are able to be happy about what they did accomplish. I really think this comes down to the difference in the leaders of these guys programs. Cael vs the Brands. Being grateful vs pressure and disappointment

Last edited:
Good to see Dake happy after his performance. I hate piling on Spencer but this is what everyone is talking about. He takes silver, while disappointing is still a massive achievement and one he should be celebrating. Instead he’s mad and pouting while his teammates who also didn’t reach their goals are able to be happy about what they did accomplish. I really think this comes down to the difference in the leaders of these guys programs. Cael vs the Brands. Being grateful vs pressure and disappointment
Do we know that Spencer is mad and pouting? I'm not watching, but had heard no such news about Spencer.

Also, there is huge middle ground between "celebrating" and "mad and pouting".

Good to see Dake happy after his performance. I hate piling on Spencer but this is what everyone is talking about. He takes silver, while disappointing is still a massive achievement and one he should be celebrating. Instead he’s mad and pouting while his teammates who also didn’t reach their goals are able to be happy about what they did accomplish. I really think this comes down to the difference in the leaders of these guys programs. Cael vs the Brands. Being grateful vs pressure and disappointment
My take on the topic exactly. I also think "pouting" about Silver (publicly) is somewhat against the spirit of the Olympics, if that even has meaning anymore.

Here's Spencer being mad and pouting on the award stand:

rjA49Oi.jpeg

It sounds like from all accounts Snyder might have to beat out Brooks for 97kg in 2028.
That wouldn't surprise me. Last summer I was watching Brooks roll around with Snyder and my comment to the guys with me was Brooks is every bit as big as Snyder. During the NLWC golf outing Brooks told me how much he weighed. Brooks is a big man. If Brooks had decided to compete at 97 instead of 86 during this spring's trials it would not have shocked me.

Here's Spencer being mad and pouting on the award stand:

rjA49Oi.jpeg
In that interview he was absolutely pouting and mad and giving away your medal and having no idea where it’s at is as well. One smile for a picture doesn’t change it. I like Spencer and think he wrestled his ass off. His semifinal match was as good as I’ve ever seen him. He was incredible! I just wish he thought so as well and understood that what he just accomplished is something to celebrate. You think his teammates aren’t upset that they didn’t reach their goals? Of course they are but all of their reactions have been very different from Spencer’s

He's not only reminding me of the Brands, he's looking like them as well.

We have 3 or 4 guys on the backside of their careers, maybe calling it quits after this. At least 3 from that group are going to medal. Our Heavyweight is the B team, only there because the other guy lost interest. The last guy just won bronze after dethroning the pound-for-pound #1 in the sport. No need to change anything.
Our "B Team Heavyweight" was last year's World Silver.

Otherwise I'm mostly agreeing with this.

The one thing we could possibly change -- rather, should change: we need to send all of our top guys to the ranking tournaments. Dake, Snyder, and Parris did get seeded. There is no way Zain is worse than Rivera, but Rivera got the 4 seed, and Zain got a random draw against the 2 seed who will probably win gold. RBY got an awful draw, and Lee is lucky he didn't draw Higuchi. Same for Greco and Women ... amazing how many 1 and 2 seeds we drew this year.

That's the game, everybody knows it, and we don't play it nearly well enough.

The one thing we could possibly change -- rather, should change: we need to send all of our top guys to the ranking tournaments. Dake, Snyder, and Parris did get seeded. There is no way Zain is worse than Rivera, but Rivera got the 4 seed, and Zain got a random draw against the 2 seed who will probably win gold. RBY got an awful draw, and Lee is lucky he didn't draw Higuchi. Same for Greco and Women ... amazing how many 1 and 2 seeds we drew this year.

I agree these guys need to compete on the world stage more often.

Do we know that Spencer is mad and pouting? I'm not watching, but had heard no such news about Spencer.

Also, there is huge middle ground between "celebrating" and "mad and pouting".
"First thing I thought of was to take it off, but that's OK, right?" Lee said. "You can get a laugh out of that, right? I don't even have it anymore. I gave it to my sister. I don't even know where it is."

Frustrated by his performance, Lee initially walked through the mixed zone without speaking to reporters.

"A lot of time and effort put into getting back into a healthy enough state to wrestle and then I go and I fail,"

Asked how long it will take to put his silver medal-winning performance in perspective, Lee said, "I don't think there'll ever be perspective where I think it's good.

"Twenty years from now, you try and name Olympic silver medalists. I bet you can't," he said. "It's because no one cares."

Reactions: Sullivan
And Spencer’s comment about no one caring about silver medalists is BS. At the Oly Trials we sat beside a woman who was a silver medalist in the past and it was great to meet her! I think her husband was a medalist also, and pretty sure not gold.

At some point in life you need to realize that there are more important things than wrestling. I know as fans that is heresy but all wrestlers have to deal with it. I'm sure it was a tough decision for Zain but given any health related information he received, I'm certain that he choose to do what was best for his long term future and family. I wish him nothing but the best but will miss watching him compete. I think he had a real shot at a bronze.

Does that include anyone that has a big weight cut?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT