ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Sr World Team Trials, Sept 14-15

I wonder what will happen with Facundo. He looks like an obvious odd man out this year and it won’t get any better. He hasn’t lived up to his potential in folkstyle but he is obviously very good so it will be interesting where he goes. Also curious on what he considers his optimal weight since he certed at 165 apparently
Cutting to 157 is his only option

I wonder what will happen with Facundo. He looks like an obvious odd man out this year and it won’t get any better. He hasn’t lived up to his potential in folkstyle but he is obviously very good so it will be interesting where he goes. Also curious on what he considers his optimal weight since he certed at 165 apparently
Any chance we see Kasick shirt, Mitch 157. Alex 165. Levi 174

Reactions: RandyL
Yup, everybody loves to look right on past and undefeated returning NC. Not even just the Missouri guys, but definitely the FLO guys (they will find some reason to keep O'Toole ranked above Levi even after this, and the fact that O'Toole took 3rd last year), and even some guys on this board.

But it's freestyle. It will be much better when Levi goes undefeated in folkstyle again this year.
Our upper weights are going to be a murderers row this year, holy smokes.

Dice posting with a bit of an edge lately. You alright, brother?

Eat Protein Bar GIF by SnickersUK
Yes, fine. If you notice I always post that way when it comes to:
  • @GogglesPaizano
  • Turk
  • Flo Midwest crew (very distinct from some very good guys that Flo has employed over the year, Brock Hite, Ryan Holmes, Mikey Mal, etc).
  • Corby
I've just had more to fire upon from some of those guys lately. Keep 'em coming guys!

NOTE: I just noticed I left Ferrari and PD2/3 off that list. But did I really need to mention those guys?

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Well, Levi is showing why it seems Facundo now has anorexia. For the record I don't like any of our kids on big cuts, but Alex pretty much had no choice it seems?

It's reasonable to think, either Kasak or Levi will have to shirt for him to find a slot. It's unfortunate, but I don't see Alex beating either one outright. Sucking down to 157 is no joke, and until I see Alex against some real competition I am not convinced he will be the same guy that skinny.

Its likely if either K or L shirt, it is more of a Cael decision, than fielding the very best squad. We crush all comments either way. I am a big Facundo fan, but he might just be a one and out after this year, and there are no guarantees there.

One thing is certain, recruiting has finally caught up to where I thought we would be 5 years ago, with fewer slots than hammers. Now with the portal and NIL, any of our kids who leave will be richly rewarded. Not a terrible solution.

Yeah, looking more and more like he saw the writing on the wall and shrunk his body down. Looked to me like he was very lean in some team photos I’ve seen. Not sure he can beat Kasak, but he probably likes his chances better. Can’t believe Willie whiffed on this one so badly - saying he was firm on Facundo at 174.

It’s been reported that Levi is shirting. Note how he’s the only one wrestling in the WTT.

70kg 3rd Place - #4 PJ Duke (KDTC) VS #8 Yahya Thomas (NJRTC)

P1:
Here we go. Thomas shoots, nothing. Circling & tying up. PJ pushing forward, Thomas on his knees & they go out of bounds, point PJ, 1-0, restart. PJ almost had a turn going out of bounds. Tying up & hand fighting. Thomas drops to a leg, PJ fights out of it & they're back to their feet. Thomas faking, PJ faking now too. Thomas reaches, PJ counters, nothing. PJ controlling center. Stoppage, Thomas passivity warning, restart. PJ coming forward & they break. Thomas looks to drop to a leg, but nothing. Back to center circling. Thomas shoots, PJ backs out of it. 2nd passivity warning Thomas & he goes on the clock, restart. Thomas coming forward, PJ on the edge, but he circles back in. Shot clock point PJ, 1-0. 43-sec left. Tying up & circling. PJ controlling center. 30-sec left. Thomas coming forward, stoppage, PJ passivity warning, restart. Circling & tying up as the period ends. 1-0 PJ

P2:
Here we go again. Tying up & circling, PJ reaches, nothing. Thomas reaches, nothing. Circling, Thomas reaches again, nothing. Tying up, PJ pushing forward, Thomas on the edge. Stoppage, PJ 2nd passivity warning & he goes on the clock. Tying up & circling. PJ looking for an opening. drags, nothing. Thomas shot clock point, 1-1, adv Thomas. 1:50 left. Thomas shoots, PJ counters & gets a TD on the edge, 3-1, restart, 90-sec left. Tying up, Thomas fakes, nothing. Circling & head tapping. PJ looking 2 on 1, Thomas tries something, PJ counters & gets another TD, 5-1, 1-min left, restart. Tying up & circling. PJ back to the 2 on 1 & they break. Circling & tying up again, 30-sec left. PJ holding solid position. Thomas can't find any opening. 15-sec left. More tying up & circling as the period ends.

PJ Duke DEC Yahya Thomas 5-1

PJ wins 3rd Place!

Last edited:
It's what we are all thinking about with the Levi goin 174 stuff. He has looked odd one out for a while unfortunately. He's a great wrestler, but hasn't been able to put it together completely. If he loves PSU he stays, but he most definitely can get a starting spot somewhere.

79kg 3rd Place - #7 Levi Haines (NLWC) VS #5 David Carr (CRTC)

P1:
Here we go. Circling & head tapping. Carr with the double handed push. Circling, Levi looking to tie up, Carr keeping distance. Carr pushes Levi away again. Stoppage. Carr passivity warning, 2:09 left. Circling, Levi measuring him up. Carr shoots a double to a single for the TD, 2-0, adds a couple turns as they go out of bounds, 6-0, restart. Levi drops in on a single, Carr with a head pinch & rolls him over, 8-0. Back to their feet circling & hand fighting. Carr shoots, nothing. 45-sec left. Circling & head tapping. Levi coming forward. Levi controlling center, but needs some points to catch up. Levi drives forward & takes Carr out, 8-1, restart. Circling & head tapping & hand fighting & that's how the period ends. 8-1 Carr

P2:
Back to action. Circling, Levi coming forward. Hand fighting & more circling & more hand fighting. 2:30 left. Levi coming forward, shoots, nothing. Back to center. Carr shoots a double to single, he's in deep. Levi countering, and it's a stalemate, restart. 2-min left. Circling, Carr pushing Levi away again. Tying up, Levi reaches for a leg, then drops in & gets it. Carr sprawls, Levi picks him up, but Carr fights him off. Back to center circling & tying up, 1-min left. Levi coming forward again, Carr on the edge, but he circles back in. Levi coming forward, Carr backing. Levi looking for an opening, but Carr with solid defense. Levi shoots, nothing. Levi shoots again & takes Carr out of bounds, 8-2, restart, 13-sec left. Levi coming forward, shoots, nothing, shoots again, but no luck & time expires.

David Carr DEC Levi Haines 8-2

Levi takes 4th Place. Unfortunate ending to the tournament for Levi, but what a fantastic performance! Levi is a full size 79kg/174 pounder & looks ready to roll this year!

Last edited:
70kg 3rd Place - #4 PJ Duke (KDTC) VS #8 Yahya Thomas (NJRTC)

P1:
Her we go. Thomas shoots, nothing. Circling & tying up. PJ pushing forward, Thomas on his knees & the go out of bounds, point PJ, 1-0, restart. PJ almost had a turn going out of bounds. Tying up & hand fighting. Thomas drops to a leg, PJ fights out of it & they're back to their feet. Thomas faking, PJ faking now too. Thomas reaches, PJ counters, nothing. PJ controlling center. Stoppage, Thomas passivity warning, restart. PJ coming forward & they break.Thomas looks to drop to a leg, but nothing. Back to center circling. Thomas shoots, PJ backs out of it. 2nd passivity warning Thomas & he goes on the clock, restart. Thomas coming forward, PJ on the edge, but he circles back in. Shot clock point PJ, 1-0. 43-sec left. Tying up & circling. PJ controlling center. 30-sec left. Thomas coming forward, stoppage, PJ passivity warning, restart. Circling & tying up as the period ends. 1-0 PJ

P2:
Here we go again. Tying up & circling, PJ reaches, nothing. Thomas reaches, nothing. Circling, Thomas reaches again, nothing. Tying up, PJ pushing forward, Thomas on the edge. Stoppage, PJ 2nd passivity warning & he goes on the clock. Tying up & circling. PJ looking for an opening. drags, nothing. Thomas shot clock point, 1-1, adv Thomas. 1:50 left. Thomas shoots, PJ counters & gets a TD on the edge, 3-1, restart, 90-sec left. Tying up, Thomas fakes, nothing. Circling & head tapping. PJ looking 2 on 1, Thomas tries something, PJ counters & gets another TD, 5-1, 1-min left, restart. Tying up & circling. PJ back to the 2 on 1 & they break. Circling & tying up again, 30-sec left. PJ holding solid position. Thomas can't find any opening. 15-sec left. More tying up & circling as the period ends.

PJ Duke DEC Yahya Thomas 5-1
Nice win for Duke, but would've preferred seeing him against Oliver. Too bad JO withdrew.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Nice weekend for Levi. He dispels all of the misgivings about going up 2 weights and will be a clear-cut favorite along with O'Toole at 174 this year. There is a big gap between those two and the field.

We may see him wrestle a limited schedule in the first semester, which wouldn't be a bad thing, but I would bet on him being our 174 at B1Gs. The only unfortunate thing is we may have to keep listening to FLO and others constantly emphasizing that he's RSing for those first couple of months.

61kg 3rd Place - #6 Jax Forrest (YG) VS #8 Liam Cronin (NWTC)

P1:
Tying up off the whistle, then breaking. Cronin shoots, gets to a leg, Jax countering, they're scrambling, Jax looks to have the advantage, then Cronin comes behind. They scrambling & Cronin gets the TD with a couple exposures & it's 6-0 Cronin, restart. Circling, Jax drops to a leg, Cronin fighting & it's a stalemate, restart. Tying up, Jax throw by to a single for a TD with exposure & it's quickly 6-4, restart, 1:37 left. Jax can scramble! Tying up & circling & hand fighting & they break. Back to the tie up in the center, Jax arm spin, keeps working & gets another TD, adds a turn, 8-6 & another turn, 10-6, before they go out of bounds, restart, 53-sec left. Cronin comes forward, Jax counters, Cronin re-counters & it's a stalemate, restart. Tying up & circling & head tapping. Jax coming forward a little, reaches for a leg, nothing. More circling as the period ends. 10-6 Jax

P2:
Back to action. Circling & tying up. Cronin reaches for a leg, nothing, Jax ducks, gets to a leg, keeps working & gets another TD, 12-6, restart, 2:13 left. Circling, Cronin coming forward, Jax blocks him off, then drives forward, keeps working & gets an exposure, 14-6 & then finishes off the TD, 16-6 for the tech.

Jax Forrest TECH Liam Cronin 16-6 (4:26)

Jax wins 3rd Place!

Last edited:
Yes, fine. If you notice I always post that way when it comes to:
  • @GogglesPaizano
  • Turk
  • Flo Midwest crew (very distinct from some very good guys that Flo has employed over the year, Brock Hite, Ryan Holmes, Mikey Mal, etc).
  • Corby
I've just had more to fire upon from some of those guys lately. Keep 'em coming guys!

NOTE: I just noticed I left Ferrari and PD2/3 off that list. But did I really need to mention those guys?
Cracks me up with JD and the Midwest boys desperately hyping up Gabe Arnold. Something tells me it’ll be him and Haines at the dual and Levi will brutalize™ him.

Favored to win the NC, yet we might field a team with only 2 wrestlers returning to reclaim their spot from last year.

125 LL
133 Davis
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 Mitch
165 Alex
174 Levi
184 Carter
197 Barr
285 Kerk

I'm not predicting it will happen, but it could.

Cracks me up with JD and the Midwest boys desperately hyping up Gabe Arnold. Something tells me it’ll be him and Haines at the dual and Levi will brutalize™ him.
We're 15 years in and those guys are still puzzled and in denial about Cael and PSU. They may lip service it every once in a while, but deep down they still are waiting for order to be restored.

Why, oh why? Please don't tell me that you are skeptical that Levi is over 180 now. Should I file that away with the Facundo certification assertion you made?
I think the ? was about the other poster saying Levi has man strength, wait until he gets man strength.

Reactions: danoftw
79kg 3rd Place - #7 Levi Haines (NLWC) VS #5 David Carr (CRTC)

P1:
Here we go. Circling & head tapping. Carr with the double handed push. Circling, Levi looking to tie up, Carr keeping distance. Carr pushes Levi away again. Stoppage. Carr passivity warning, 2:09 left. Circling, Levi measuring him up. Carr shoots a double to a single for the TD, 2-0, adds a couple turns as they go out of bounds, 6-0, restart. Levi drops in on a single, Carr with a head pinch & rolls him over, 8-0. Back to their feet circling & hand fighting. Carr shoots, nothing. 45-sec left. Circling & head tapping. Levi coming forward. Levi controlling center, but needs some points to catch up. Levi drives forward & takes Carr out, 8-1, restart. Circling & head tapping & hand fighting & that's how the period ends. 8-1 Carr

P2:
Back to action. Circling, Levi coming forward. Hand fighting & more circling & more hand fighting. 2:30 left. Levi coming forward, shoots, nothing. Back to center. Carr shoots a double to single, he's in deep. Levi countering, and it's a stalemate, restart. 2-min left. Circling, Carr pushing Levi away again. Tying up, Levi reaches for a leg, then drops in & gets it. Carr sprawls, Levi picks him up, but Carr fights him off. Back to center circling & tying up, 1-min left. Levi coming forward again, Carr on the edge, but he circles back in. Levi coming forward, Carr backing. Levi looking for an opening, but Carr with solid defense. Levi shoots, nothing. Levi shoots again & takes Carr out of bounds, 8-2, restart, 13-sec left. Levi coming forward, shoots, nothing, shoots again, but no luck & time expires.

David Carr DEC Levi Haines 8-2

Levi takes 4th Place. Unfortunate ending to the tournament for Levi, but what a fantastic performance! Levi is a full size 79kg/174 pounder & looks ready to roll this year!
Carr KOT Levi all beating each other is pretty fun and interesting

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT