ADVERTISEMENT

98 wins by the Pirates! And to all those who harp on our divisional record (see inside)

TheGLOV

Gold Member
!STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU!
STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU!STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU!STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU!

large-smiley-028.gif

Reactions: fairgambit
STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU!STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU!STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU!
Talk to me after they win Wednesday and then beat the Cards in the next round.. Then you may have a point, but not before. By the way, it was a great atmosphere at PNC today as opposed to last night. Glad this next one will be at PNC. The crowd should be a plus.

Their good but unless they are the last to survive in the NL Central they still have nothing to show for those 98 wins.

They play .500 against their division they are awaiting the winner of the Cubs-Cards Wildcard game as Central champ. Sorry, you can't ignore their record against the teams in their division. It has made their road more difficult.

Reactions: nits74
Their good but unless they are the last to survive in the NL Central they still have nothing to show for those 98 wins.

They play .500 against their division they are awaiting the winner of the Cubs-Cards Wildcard game as Central champ. Sorry, you can't ignore their record against the teams in their division. It has made their road more difficult.
Exactly.

In 2011, The Phillies won 102 games but were beaten in the 5th game of NLDS at Home, 1-0. Halliday gave up a run in the top of the first inning. You never know what will happen in the Playoffs. Nothing is guaranteed. Home field means nothing except last at bat. Crowd noise means nothing if your team is getting shut out.
The good thing for the Pirates? It's the Cubs in a one gamer, not the Cardinals. Good Luck on Wednesday.

Reactions: TheGLOV
In 2011, The Phillies won 102 games but were beaten in the 5th game of NLDS at Home, 1-0. Halliday gave up a run in the top of the first inning. You never know what will happen in the Playoffs. Nothing is guaranteed. Home field means nothing except last at bat. Crowd noise means nothing if your team is getting shut out.
The good thing for the Pirates? It's the Cubs in a one gamer, not the Cardinals. Good Luck on Wednesday.
Thanks, EPC. But in this particular game, simply because of the starting pitcher, I'd rather they be facing the Cards.

Nor can you ignore their 11-2 record against the Dodgers & Giants which was totally unexpected, or their 6-0 record against the division winning Mets. It cuts both ways. The fact is they won 98 games, 2nd most in baseball & 2nd most in the history of the franchise. They lost to some poor teams but they beat some damn good ones to get to 98 wins.

Reactions: wbcincy
I really don't understand the Bucco negativity by some. They finished with 98 wins. 98! They lost games they could have, or should have, won, but they also won lots of games they could have, or should have, lost. So did every other team in baseball, including the Cards. As I said in my other post, you want to bitch about their record against the Brewers or Reds? Then you should acknowledge that their record against the Mets, Dodgers, and Giants, 17-2, is off the charts. No one on earth could have predicted that kind of success. 98 wins, and that's not good enough? Well, it's good enough for me.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
I really don't understand the Bucco negativity by some. They finished with 98 wins. 98! They lost games they could have, or should have, won, but they also won lots of games they could have, or should have, lost. So did every other team in baseball, including the Cards. As I said in my other post, you want to bitch about their record against the Brewers or Reds? Then you should acknowledge that their record against the Mets, Dodgers, and Giants, 17-2, is off the charts. No one on earth could have predicted that kind of success. 98 wins, and that's not good enough? Well, it's good enough for me.

One of the best Pirate baseball teams of all-time!
Those people can continue to STFU!

Reactions: fairgambit

They don't give trophys for winning a wild-card game.

Only narrow minded thinking would lead you to believe that the Pirates would have nothing to show for it should they lose to the Cubs in a one game wild card playoff game.

You CANNOT erase those 98 wins from the record book. That is the thing you can point to when people need to be SHOWN something.

Sorry if a bit critical but that's my thoughts and I do honestly thank you for yours sir.

Talk to me after they win Wednesday and then beat the Cards in the next round.. Then you may have a point, but not before. By the way, it was a great atmosphere at PNC today as opposed to last night. Glad this next one will be at PNC. The crowd should be a plus.

You would be wise to follow your own advice sir.. I say this with the utmost consideration and admiration. I mean that nits74. We must agree to disagree on this point sir.

It IS the 1-game playoff that muddies the water truth be told.

Last edited:
The Buc's are never getting passed Arrieta.
He is the best pitcher in the game right now, but we're not throwing chopped liver against him. In addition, he's never pitched in a playoff game. Cole has. I don't care how good a player is in the regular season, in a 1 and done playoff, there's much more pressure. Will he handle it? Maybe. Maybe not. I like our chances.

Last edited:
One of the best Pirate baseball teams of all-time!
Those people can continue to STFU!

You just don't get it.

I acknowledge this Pirate team is one of their all-time best but do they have a championship at this moment to point to? NO. Might they in a month, YES but until they do it is a little pre-mature to boast.

In 2001 the Seattle Mariners won 116 games against just 46 losses. Do you remember them? Probably not because they didn't win a championship. There are post seasons for a reason. The best team doesn't always win but regular season wins are just that and nothing more. You must win the post season to become CHAMPIONS. Just like you don't get a trophy for winning the wild card game you don't one for winning 98 games either unless of course you are Division Champs.

Listen I've been a Pirate fan for 45 years. I attended my first game with my dad at Forbes Field in 1968! I love what this team has done but for all that has been good they failed to win their division. Did they beat up on the Dodgers, Mets and Giants, yes! but that doesn't mean anything if they can't get it done in the post season.

You want me to tell me to STFU a month from now when they are on top of the baseball world so be it but I think you are tad pre-mature my friend.

I want nothing more than a Pirate World Series championship but that must be earned on the field over the next several weeks assuming they can beat Arrieta. A position they most likely would not have been in had they taken care of business in the NL Central. That is not my opinion it is simply fact.

Reactions: TheGLOV and nits74
Thanks, EPC. But in this particular game, simply because of the starting pitcher, I'd rather they be facing the Cards.

In 1993, the Phillies beat Hall of Famer Greg Maddux to win the National League Pennant. You never know. Arrieta will be stepping on the BIG stage Wednesday. Cole has been there before.
I hate to root against a great guy like Joe Madden, but I am rooting for the Buccos on Wednesday.
While I'm on baseball. How bleeping stupid is it that the Phils and Bucs aren't in the same division? It is a bleeping joke. My buddies and I used to drive to Pittsburgh once a year for a whole series between two really good ballclubs, back in the '70s. Now, they play and it means virtually nothing. It sucks.

In 1993, the Phillies beat Hall of Famer Greg Maddux to win the National League Pennant. You never know. Arrieta will be stepping on the BIG stage Wednesday. Cole has been there before.
I hate to root against a great guy like Joe Madden, but I am rooting for the Buccos on Wednesday.
While I'm on baseball. How bleeping stupid is it that the Phils and Bucs aren't in the same division? It is a bleeping joke. My buddies and I used to drive to Pittsburgh once a year for a whole series between two really good ballclubs, back in the '70s. Now, they play and it means virtually nothing. It sucks.
The Bucs should be in the East with Philly, New York, Washington. Move Atlanta to the Central. They can go back to the future by being in the same Division with Milwaukee.

You just don't get it.

I acknowledge this Pirate team is one of their all-time best but do they have a championship at this moment to point to? NO. Might they in a month, YES but until they do it is a little pre-mature to boast.

In 2001 the Seattle Mariners won 116 games against just 46 losses. Do you remember them? Probably not because they didn't win a championship. There are post seasons for a reason. The best team doesn't always win but regular season wins are just that and nothing more. You must win the post season to become CHAMPIONS. Just like you don't get a trophy for winning the wild card game you don't one for winning 98 games either unless of course you are Division Champs.

Listen I've been a Pirate fan for 45 years. I attended my first game with my dad at Forbes Field in 1968! I love what this team has done but for all that has been good they failed to win their division. Did they beat up on the Dodgers, Mets and Giants, yes! but that doesn't mean anything if they can't get it done in the post season.

You want me to tell me to STFU a month from now when they are on top of the baseball world so be it but I think you are tad pre-mature my friend.

I want nothing more than a Pirate World Series championship but that must be earned on the field over the next several weeks assuming they can beat Arrieta. A position they most likely would not have been in had they taken care of business in the NL Central. That is not my opinion it is simply fact.

The Cardinals won 100 games. I don't know how much more the Pirates could have done. Every team has games they'd like back. The Pirates won the second most games in Major League Baseball. Three teams in their division won over 90 games. They've had a great season. I believe they beat the Cubs and give the Cardinals all they can handle in the NLDS.

You ignore their 17-2 record against the Dodgers, Giants, and Mets. No one in baseball was that good against those teams (2 Division winners and last year's WS champs). The Bucs finished 8 under .500 in their Division (the toughest in baseball), but that was more than offset by finishing 15 over against the trio I mentioned. By the way, the Cards, the model team for all that is good and holy, had losing records against just 3 teams, the Tigers, Braves, and Padres, and all 3 of those teams finished below .500.

Last edited:
You just don't get it.

See, I know titles are the goal, but if that's the ONLY thing you care about as a fan, it's almost always going to but disappointment. If the Pirates lose the wild card Wednesday, I still sure had a heck of a fun time watching them all year. If they win the title, will it be immeasurably more enjoyable? Sure. But it doesn't eliminate what I already enjoyed. Folks across the country may not remember the '01 mariners, but I bet a bunch of Mariners do. And if they do, who gives a rip whether anyone else does.

So I think GLOVs STFU is to all the folks with such an absurd view of what success means. That they $hit all over a team constantly that just won 98 games is absurd. And his STFU on that matter won't be any more or less appropriate whether they lose Wednesday or win it all.

You just don't get it.

Oh I get it alright sir.

And my first Pirate game was in 1966 at Forbes Field sir,

I eventually saw Willie McCovey hit TWO over the roof at Forbes Field.

Sincere THANK YOUs to Ray Blehar and Wendy Silverwood for your bulldog tenaciousness and unrelenting drive for the truth. Penn State is damn lucky to have people like you as alums. Problem is, they don't realize or appreciate it.
While lots of people were diving for cover, you two, along with Franco and other brave alums, were punching back at the fake, phony story being propagated by some really unsavory people and their sheep in the media.
You have a 50% chance of being right or wrong sir.

Time will tell.
They may not get passed Arrieta, but they can get past him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT