ADVERTISEMENT

All the haters were just waiting for this type of game…

We should have. Harsin is an awful coach--just awful
But, okay, so let's pretend some people wanted to pretend Purdue and Auburn were better than they are. As of today shouldn't we all agree less than 10-2 isn't tolerable given the schedule?
Google what Vegas had for over/under win total.
I’ll save you the time, they had it at 8.5.
As far as talent wise I don’t disagree, they should never be less than10-2.

Reactions: bison13
Google what Vegas had for over/under win total.
I’ll save you the time, they had it at 8.5.
As far as talent wise I don’t disagree, they should never be less than10-2.
That's just where the money goes--people around the country don't respect Franklin and expect him to lose games he shouldn't. The team with more talent should always be "expected" to win--doesn't mean they will as upsets happen but it should be the expectation.

Not sure that's fair. It was one data point. We didn't measure up. Perhaps they were better prepared but likely it was just a bad match up. They play bully ball and we aren't there on the lines. I think we lack some toughness and are smallish on the dline. Our oline has not been our strength for years.

You are never as good as you think when you win or as bad as you think when you lose. I still expect a 9 or 10 win season, same as the start of the season.
Honestly, it's been 8 years. Franklin wins on talent. He gets out coached most weeks. PSU does not perform well against teams with similar talent, squeaks by teams with less talent, and rarely beats teams with more talent. He does everything well, except actual football coaching.
It hasn't changed in 8 years. I don't think it's going to in year 9, or ever. IMHO, as a football coach, JF is Steve Spurrier. He may catch lightning in a bottle one year and win a NC, but most years he will get out coached and lose.

His tenure at PSU will not be nearly as long as he assumes. Mr. Kraft is NOT a fan. He will be tolerant, up to a point. PSU being embarrassed will not go over well with him. He will not long tolerate what we saw today - trust me on this.

• Love
Reactions: GregInPitt
That's just where the money goes--people around the country don't respect Franklin and expect him to lose games he shouldn't. The team with more talent should always be "expected" to win--doesn't mean they will as upsets happen but it should be the expectation.
Can you blame them for expecting Franklin to lose games he shouldn’t?
I’m sure that’s why some were predicting 9-3,8-4.

Yes, I’m the problem. What an idiotic viewpoint you have. You’re sorry for me? I can see reality. I understand what PSU football is supposed to be. You are in some absurd Gen-Z fantasy land of participation trophies. Your position is both counter-productive and ridiculous. I’m not going to waste any emotional capital on you or your ilk. Suffice to say PSU football is a shadow of what it should be, and anyone ok with that is a fool - just like our head coach.
Your unhappiness is palpable. Sorry, man.

I’m comfortably retired at 59, and happily married for 32+ years - you should be so unhappy. You havent a clue, and that’s fine -few of your generation do. As for PSU football, you appear to have views as clueless as your views on age and happiness. Do yourself a favor - go outside and play, and allow the actual adults to discuss PSU football, junior.

His tenure at PSU will not be nearly as long as he assumes. Mr. Kraft is NOT a fan. He will be tolerant, up to a point. PSU being embarrassed will not go over well with him. He will not long tolerate what we saw today - trust me on this.
This was embarrassing for sure. Problem is we could rebound and go 9-3 or even 10-2. Why is that a problem? It doesn't solve the problem we have of not being a physical, tough team that wins on both sides of scrimmage against top 20 teams. Yet, 10-2 will keep Franklin going despite him falling further and further behind the only two teams relevant in the B10.

Wish you were right but that ridiculous 10 year contract extension by the prior incompetent AD and the history of PSU administrators doing nothing would suggest the opposite. 😡

Reactions: LioninNC
Don't forget he upspeaks

Upspeak is a high rise in intonation at the end of a sentence that makes it end up sounding like a question. Upspeak perhaps reached its height in the “Valley girl” talk of the 1980s, partly due to Frank Zappa’s hit song, “Valley Girl.”
incredibly annoying

Reactions: NC2017
This was never gonna be the year we competed for a championship. However, we had a nice start to the season and some of us fans got excited. It was an utterly dismal performance today. Without a doubt.

That said, I’d still rather be a fan who gets excited when his team has a good start to the season, than a negative, miserable, unhappy “fan” who just lives their life waiting for and expecting the other shoe to drop.

I really have pity for these so-called, “fans”, who, if PSU won every game by a score of 28-3, they’d bitch about PSU not being able to score 30 or shut out their opponents.

What a sad, pathetic existence.

WE ARE!!!
Not an absolute hater, but one with a lot of questions. We saw this coming for the last two games. I know, it was raining, but it was NW and we played poorly. And Central Michigan moved the ball far too easily against our Defense.

Wish you were right but that ridiculous 10 year contract extension by the prior incompetent AD and the history of PSU administrators doing nothing would suggest the opposite. 😡
Just be patient - this season is far more important than most think. Mr. Kraft is not a Franklin-bot. Seriously, I‘m trying to alert Nittany Nation - Franklin is on thinning ice, and what we saw today is not something Mr. Kraft is going to tolerate much longer. Franklin better extract his head out if his nether regions and win at least 9 games this regular season. you wait and see

Your unhappiness is palpable. Sorry, man.
Wrong. His disgust is palpable. Most of us are disgusted with the piss poor coach that Franklin is. And Franklin is stupid. But he's not as stupid as Sandy and the PSU administration that gave him a handsome new contract for barely mediocre performance. Open you eyes, son. Franklin is a bullshit artist.

Just be patient - this season is far more important than most think. Mr. Kraft is not a Franklin-bot. Seriously, I‘m trying to alert Nittany Nation - Franklin is on thinning ice, and what we saw today is not something Mr. Kraft is going to tolerate much longer. Franklin better extract his head out if his nether regions and win at least 9 games this regular season. you wait and see
I hope you’re right. (Please tell me you’re Kraft’s neighbor and had this discussion with him during the week. ;)).

I hope to God you are not just making this up!?!

Reactions: 84Lion
There is no way that this team should have been embarrassed like that. And for Franklin to raise the issue of his lines being too small? Who is to blame for recruiting small players and trying to get them bigger? Such a terrible game day coach and the reality is that there’s no realistic way of getting him to change or move on. Maybe else can pray that some billionaire NFL owner can pony up the buyout for shipping him to that league

Not sure that's fair. It was one data point. We didn't measure up. Perhaps they were better prepared but likely it was just a bad match up. They play bully ball and we aren't there on the lines. I think we lack some toughness and are smallish on the dline. Our oline has not been our strength for years.

You are never as good as you think when you win or as bad as you think when you lose. I still expect a 9 or 10 win season, same as the start of the season.

it’s not one data point. Post the results of the last 5 years of top ten matchups.

Reactions: manilion and psu00
Talent wise they should really never be worse than 10-2.
That's ridiculous, Ohio St had 2 losses last year with the best talent composite in the nation (virtual 3 way tie with Alabama and Georgia). It's unrealistic to expect never worse than 10-2 unless you have top 3 talent. Teams have bad match ups, off games, injuries, etc. It's being played with 18 to 23 year old kids, not a video game profiles.
it’s not one data point. Post the results of the last 5 years of top ten matchups.
Excuse me, one data point on this year's team. If you want to look at the last 5 years, you look it up.

That's ridiculous, Ohio St had 2 losses last year with the best talent composite in the nation (virtual 3 way tie with Alabama and Georgia). It's unrealistic to expect never worse than 10-2 unless you have top 3 talent. Teams have bad match ups, off games, injuries, etc. It's being played with 18 to 23 year old kids, not a video game profiles.

Excuse me, one data point on this year's team. If you want to look at the last 5 years, you look it up.

Ohio State fans weren't pleased last year either with 2 losses. That's a bad season for them as you're aware and we should reach the point where we feel the exact same way

Reactions: MacNit07

It’s a data point in a trend going back half a decade and that’s why people have had their patience wear thin. None of this happens in a vacuum. I don’t need to look it up. There are zero wins against top ten teams the last 5 years.

Reactions: psu00

And they should not have lost to Oregon or Michigan they were the better team. Not saying those games could be considered upsets, but upsets happen that’s why they play the game, and losing to teams with less talent should be the exception not the rule.
I don’t expect them to go 10-2 every year, as I said upsets happen or two evenly matched teams can come down to one play and you lose. The problem is PSU does have top 3 talent in big10.

Well, he is not at the PJ Fleck level of used car salesman.

He is a great recruiter. He just needs to recruit better coordinators.
I don't believe he is a great recruiter. He has not recruited at a high level every year, and has too many positions where he has not recruited enough talent to field above average units. This year in addition to the OL which he has never fielded a top 3 B10 unit, it is WR, LB and DL. Many would not put DL on the list as against the weaker teams PSU plays the current DL can hold up well enough against the run and put some pressure on the QB. But not against very good teams.

Great recruiters don't end up with a team that does not have a deep WR threat. Great recruiters don't end up with Elsdon playing Mike and watching all the UM RB's run by (and Sutherland missing tackle after tackle). And Great recruiters don't field an OL as weak in run blocking and pass blocking as what PSU has fielded in their 9th year as head coach.

Last edited:
Ohio State fans weren't pleased last year either with 2 losses. That's a bad season for them as you're aware and we should reach the point where we feel the exact same way
The have equal talent to Bama and Georgia but not the recent national championships. Ohio St should be upset with their 2 losses last year because they had more 5 stars than our entire conference combined. They didn't play anyone that they weren't favored by 2 scores against and still managed 2 losses.

The have equal talent to Bama and Georgia but not the recent national championships. Ohio St should be upset with their 2 losses last year because they had more 5 stars than our entire conference combined. They didn't play anyone that they weren't favored by 2 scores against and still managed 2 losses.
Agreed--what's your point?

Exactly, with the talent OSU has fans should expect 12-0 or 11-1 just about every year.
But PSU shouldn’t be 10-2 more often than not?
As I stated above, PSU has top 3 talent in the big10.

Exactly, with the talent OSU has fans should expect 12-0 or 11-1 just about every year.
But PSU shouldn’t be 10-2 more often than not?
As I stated above, PSU has top 3 talent in the big10.
At least 10-2 unless Bama Georgia or another strong OOC is scheduled that's comparable to us.

One data point? That one data point is representative of many going back to Franklin's time at Vanderbilt. One data point fine. Many data points over 12 years is a trend not a singular event.

i fully expect Franklin to randomly pull a 2016-type of season out of his butt, each of which will buy him 3 or 4 more years after that. i think he will be here for a while

remember that even that season started by losing to Pitt and embarrassed by Mich.

he’s pulled one out of his butt once and it was 6 years ago. I stopped expecting it to happen again after yesterday.

that year started out pretty horribly.

He is going to come up with upsets of OSU every once in a while, and they will seem so spectacular that they save him.
Once in a while has happened once in 9 years. Not sure what your definition of once in a while is but mine is more frequent than effectively once a decade.

he caught lightning in a bottle with the late run in 2016 and the rose bowl still managed to put a damper on it. I like Franklin but he is what he is, a coach with no top ten wins since 2016.

So, is a 9 win season impressive if your big win is Purdue or Maryland?
I mean, what is your goal?
Bad matchup or simply a better coached team that recruits better? One that we've seen the gap expand not close?
we haven't beaten Maryland yet this year.

I don't believe he is a great recruiter. He has not recruited at a high level every year, and has too many position where he has not recruited enough talent to field above average units. This year in addition to the OL which he has never fielded a top 3 B10 unit, it is WR, LB and DL. Many would not put DL on the list as against the weaker teams PSU plays the current DL can hold up well enough against the run and put some pressure on the QB. But not against very good team.

Great recruiters don't end up with a team that does not have a deep WR threat. Great recruiters don't end up with Elsdon playing Mike and watching all he UM RB's run by (and Sutherland missing tackle after tackle). And Great recruiters don't field an OL as weak in run blocking and pass blocking as what PSU has fielded in their 9th year as head coach.
Once again you nailed it Greg. 43 and 0 are huge liabilities and If he isn't starting 11 THIS SATURDAY NIGHT WITH ALL THE SNAPS then I frankly am going to straight up question his commitment to winning.

How do you know? I think he can go 9-3 forever but I hope you are right. He needs to be held accountable and our previous joke of an AD had no clue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT