ADVERTISEMENT

AS THE BIRD TURNS (IOWA STUFF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, there's the football scholarship issue. Perhaps they'll call 2023 a lost year and 2024 his football shirt year -- but that would be mighty generous of Ferentz.

More likely they'll give his football scholarship to somebody actually on the team. Then good luck getting it back in 2025. And if he's on both teams, Brands can't give him a cent.
Years ago this may have been an issue, but with NIL I doubt it matters much. Just make him a walk-on at both sports and have Slumlord Bob give him $50,000 or so to cover what would be his scholarship for room and board.

As a wrestling fan, I’m happy to see Keuter focus on wrestling. If he truly focuses on wrestling for a few years, I think he wins 1-2 NCAA titles.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Years ago this may have been an issue, but with NIL I doubt it matters much. Just make him a walk-on at both sports and have Slumlord Bob give him $50,000 or so to cover what would be his scholarship for room and board.

As a wrestling fan, I’m happy to see Keuter focus on wrestling. If he truly focuses on wrestling for a few years, I think he wins 1-2 NCAA titles.
This - scholarship might be the last concern here for Iowa in this scenario. Whatever the cost is for Ben (plus the spending money he wants), Nicolls will write him a check.

Once Kerk is gone he will likely be the favorite though. Kid is good and he’s this good splitting time his entire athletic career. If he gives 100% to wrestling the sky’s the limit. I definitely put him in front of Feldman going forward if he keeps only wrestling
If he was in a room with a track record of developing wrestling skills I would agree with you. By focusing on wrestling his conditioning and wrestling toughness will improve and he will bully and maul the lower to middle tier kids, but against upper tier and elite kids his wrestling skills will become focused on pushing, more pushing and looking for stall calls.

Last edited:
I need to see more from Kueter before projecting him as an AA. Last year, Kerk was the only top-20 wrestler he faced, and the guys he wrestled last weekend have yet to earn their college spurs. Mullen, as a RS Fr, went 0-4 against top-20 heavies.

I see the potential, for sure, but in the top 4, I'll be surprised, bottom half of the podium ...maybe.

I’ll take Kueter if he’s 235+
Agreed. I think many are underselling Keuter. His performance to date has been limited largely due to size. At the right weight he might even give Kerk trouble. At least I will call it right now, bulked up and concentration on wrestling alone, I will wager Kerk is limited to a 2-4 point decision. Likewise my money says Keuter is top 4, this year and if football doesn't pan out he will be a real threat for national champion a couple of years down the line. He is a very skilled athlete, good instincts and with more strength and power he will be right there.

Agreed. I think many are underselling Keuter. His performance to date has been limited largely due to size. At the right weight he might even give Kerk trouble. At least I will call it right now, bulked up and concentration on wrestling alone, I will wager Kerk is limited to a 2-4 point decision. Likewise my money says Keuter is top 4, this year and if football doesn't pan out he will be a real threat for national champion a couple of years down the line. He is a very skilled athlete, good instincts and with more strength and power he will be right there.
Not a couple of years but heavyweight clears out BIG time in 2026. Kerk, Yonger, Wyatt are all gone (unless DT redshirts Wyatt) Kueter has a much higher ceiling than Feldman, who's build limits him inherently. The ONLY concern about Kueter is keeping his weight up since he seems to have the most insane metabolism and loses 5 pounds if he goes a day without eating a burger and some cake.

Anthony did well with 220 pounds of muscle.
Maybe if you are excluding his bones. Raptor was in the upper 230s all season and might have been down closer to 230 at nationals but, no he was not only 220 lbs when he ran the gauntlet through Gable.

Keuter like Cassar will be a different animal closer to 240 than 220.

Not the best sources but I don't think the NCAA published historical weigh in info.

Last edited:
Here’s the thing..he has been splitting time between sports his entire athletic career. Him giving wrestling 100% is going to be massive for his improvement. I think he jumps levels and could absolutely be the second best heavyweight in the country by NCAA’s. He’s not touching Kerk but Feldman I could see. He says he’s going back to football in 10 months but I kind of doubt it. A full lost year of development won’t do him any favors and if he sees great success in wrestling it will be hard to do both again
The "10 month" timing for the layoff from football is due to qualifying for U20 worlds, which would mean missing all of the summer practice and the first two games on the football schedule to compete and would make the football season a lost cause before it even started, so it was kind of a choice - try to see some playing time as a backup in football or try to win worlds in wrestling. He chose wrestling for this year while leaving the door open to return to football when it won't interfere with worlds, but I agree that there's a good chance football is in the rear view mirror for him for good, especially if he has success at worlds and/or the college season.

Ben has a plan. I love everyone blabbing about what will happen to his football career. Like they have a clue what will happen a year from now.

Give ‘em the damn win already. Being mighty without grace ain’t a good look. Already looking forward to a bulked-up, mat-focused Kueter v. King Kerk.

Grip is such a dork.
Well, yeah.
To keep me from having to look and then having to resist the need to respond. What did the dork have to say now?

You made me wait too long. I looked and of course I could not resist the need to respond.

Last edited:
Ben has a plan. I love everyone blabbing about what will happen to his football career. Like they have a clue what will happen a year from now.
Yeah. I'd bet he realized his plan shouldn't include football. Guy got a reality check. His coach I'm sure agrees. He's making the right choice....

And yes, I'm babbling... I know.

IB weighs-in on Kueter and AJ.

"Wasn't there just a pic with AJ and Big Ben training? Have not heard anything BAD about the fast cars in a pretty long time so that is a good thing!!!

We need him at 197, although I would not mind a bit if FORMLY BIG Cass could make 197???

In any case, get BIG Ben on the shEEEEt and add some HP!!!! He could WIN it this year with 20-30 pounds on his frame!

and YES, he IS that good!!!"

"Wasn't there just a pic with AJ and Big Ben training? Have not heard anything BAD about the fast cars in a pretty long time so that is a good thing!!!

We need him at 197, although I would not mind a bit if FORMLY BIG Cass could make 197???

In any case, get BIG Ben on the shEEEEt and add some HP!!!! He could WIN it this year with 20-30 pounds on his frame!

Ferrarri vs Starocci at 197. Please God, make it so!

As forecast, Ben is the new Lord Spencer. Here comes MSU158 with the Highway to the championship in 3...2...

Grip is such a dork.

He probably has no idea that he became Dorfman.

c3a43b13-3ef3-4d2b-8edb-dd6ae923717f_text.gif

maybe he can get some juice from fix old man!

Reactions: creamery freak
Now some are tying Spencer getting a gold medal to landing Bassett.

What makes them think the “ Spencer Lee effect” will be any more effective the 2nd time around?

Bassett will be closer to Mesenbrink’s weight than Spencer’s in 2 years

• Haha
Reactions: Cali_Nittany

What makes them think the “ Spencer Lee effect” will be any more effective the 2nd time around?

For the same reason every elite recruit/transfer is always going to Iowa until PSU pays them to go to PSU or someplace else.
Bassett envisions himself winning multiple national championships and Olympic gold. Yes by golly, Iowa is the obvious choice. Well, after PSU, Cornell, both OSUs and if you aren't wrestling 125 the Universities of Northern Colorado and Northern Iowa are better choices.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

Iowa is now the official third choice of everything and everyone in recruiting until further notice. The DT hire has backfired on them and booted them down another notch.

€π√12 ✓§∆£45×pi squared, I think is MSU158s new equation for Iowa somehow eclipsing both PSU and Oklahoma State now.

• Haha
Reactions: bourbon n blues

No, that's just Spoons (not to be confused with Spooner). He's a moran.

Reactions: SJP80
and Zain I don't care if you know what I am gonna do you cant stop it!!

In every sport, I've found that when you get elite, it doesn't matter if they know what you are doing. There have been coaches who have used the statement "If we are executing, we will tell the opposition exactly what we are going to do, and they aren't going to stop it."

I think teams know Steph Curry likes to shoot threes, Michael Jordan likes to drive/shot, Mike Tyson has a dangerous hook and uppercut, Patrick Mahomes likes to throw to Travis Kelce in clutch moments, etc.

Iowa is now the official third choice of everything and everyone in recruiting until further notice. The DT hire has backfired on them and booted them down another notch.

€π√12 ✓§∆£45×pi squared, I think is MSU158s new equation for Iowa somehow eclipsing both PSU and Oklahoma State now.
He's a combination of a deluded baseball fan and someone who ate too much Culver's.

Reactions: District four

Which would be a bigger dumpster fire over there?
- Spencer wins gold and Bassett chooses PSU.
- RBY wins gold and Bassett chooses PSU.
- Micic wins gold and Bassett chooses Not Iowa.
- Spencer wins gold, Bassett chooses OKST, and @johnstownsteel points out "Gilman effect" > "Spencer Lee effect."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT