ADVERTISEMENT

AS THE BIRD TURNS (IOWA STUFF)

it cracks me up how iowa has the best 125 lbs thats more important to them than winning a team title!

They have to strive for realistic goals. Winning a team title over Cael in the near future isn't likely and to be honest with DT now at Okie State and the guys he took with him Iowa is going to be fighting for third place. At least that is my hot take on the matter.

They have to strive for realistic goals. Winning a team title over Cael in the near future isn't likely and to be honest with DT now at Okie State and the guys he took with him Iowa is going to be fighting for third place. At least that is my hot take on the matter.
In PSU's 11 most recent championships Iowa has managed to finish second to PSU exactly 1 time. OkieSt, Cornell, Minnesota. Michigan and OhioSt have filled the runner-up position the other ten times. If Taylor builds OkieSt into PSU's primary challenger there is a strong likelihood Iowa will soon begin to finish 4th or worse on a regular basis.
Any chance we can get the Iowa AD to extend TnT for at least another 10 or 20 years?

Last edited:
In PSU's 11 most recent championships Iowa has managed to finish second to PSU exactly 1 time. OkieSt, Cornell, Minnesota. Michigan and the other OhioSt have filled the runner-up position the other ten times. If Taylor builds OkieSt into PSU's primary challenger there is a strong likelihood Iowa will soon begin to finish 4th or worse on a regular basis.
Any chance we can get the Iowa AD to extend TnT for at least another 10 or 20 years?
I like (their) guys

Ben beat #11 ranked Doucet 5-1.
It depends on whose ranking you choose to believe.
Wrestlestat had him at 22.

I suppose that finishing outside the round of 12 puts Doucet somewhere between last year.

Like I said, until proven otherwise, I see Kueter anywhere from R12 to 6th this year and as a potential champ down the road.

Doucet finished R16 last year. It's certainly not a bad win for a true freshman with 2 months of work. Going off Wrestlestat, there are 4 guys I wouldn't put a focused Kueter ahead of (Kerk, Wyatt, Yonger, Feldman) right now and I think I am being conservative here.

Reactions: GableBeer
Doucet finished R16 last year. It's certainly not a bad win for a true freshman with 2 months of work. Going off Wrestlestat, there are 4 guys I wouldn't put a focused Kueter ahead of (Kerk, Wyatt, Yonger, Feldman) right now and I think I am being conservative here.

Undoubtedly, he is good from neutral, but as you know, lots of heavies specialize in slowing a match down.

Your confidence might be spot on, but I need to see him get through an entire season of heavyweights leaning on him in folk before projecting him as an AA.

I agree with your list and he will be tested very early in the season with Yonger. I believe Kueter will be a low AA (5-8) this year and a finals contender after this year with how many top guys leave with only Feldman remaining.

I suppose that finishing outside the round of 12 puts Doucet somewhere between last year.

Like I said, until proven otherwise, I see Kueter anywhere from R12 to 6th this year and as a potential champ down the road.
Doucet was 11th in the coaches poll and was the 12 seed. Most people would take either of those ahead of WrestleStat "rankings."

Top 3 eventually, maybe. Not in 2025 though.

The room he will develop in is not all that renowned for developing top 3 upper weight talent.
Cass finished 3rd in 2021 and 4th in 2023, and won U23 gold.

Kueter is more talented than Cass, though not as developed thanks to football.

Top 3 this year would take a great draw in consis. Kerk and Hendrickson are both clearly better. Feldman is ahead of him today. He might get Schultz, but it's hardly a given. And Bastida will no longer have a broken hand. Everybody else at the weight can be had, but some might also get him.

In 2026, HWT will likely boil down to Feldman and Kueter.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy

You make a great point right up until you said "wrestlestat" 😂. Otherwise I agree 😂

What is HEW
"Had Enough Wrestling" Pretty prevalent in 5th and 6th year wrestlers, sometimes earlier though. A disease where a wrestler just has grown tired of the sport, often because of how hard the training and lifestyle is and they just want to be done with it.

Symptoms include clearly lacking energy in matches, no urgency when down, just going through the motions and taking losses to guys who seem just to want it more despite no signs of injury.

"Had Enough Wrestling" Pretty prevalent in 5th and 6th year wrestlers, sometimes earlier though. A disease where a wrestler just has grown tired of the sport, often because of how hard the training and lifestyle is and they just want to be done with it.

Symptoms include clearly lacking energy in matches, no urgency when down, just going through the motions and taking losses to guys who seem just to want it more despite no signs of injury.
In my own little world it still means Hot Evil Women.

Blair Thomas , of you recall psu opted for a chip shot field goal that was blocked and psu lost.

He kept his footing we win. Joe runs him again we win. We lost.
One of the most unbelievable losses ever! Blair absolutely took the team in his back 90 yards and then we blow an extra point fg! As you said, run Blair again or he keeps his balance on the previous play and we win!

That was the same Lugo who was among Turk's nobodies Zain beat, right?
It was. Didn't "nobody" Ronnie Perry beat Sorenson that last year?

Note: This was back when GIA was using the "who have they beaten" excuse, before they turned to the "other wrestlers are throwing matches to them" excuse.

No matter, it will all be over once Lilledahl, Sealey, Duke, Ryder, and the Mirasolas graduate 😂

Iowa is reminiscing on their 2020 team title on GIA again. That was the year they were going to overachieve and PSU was going to fall apart at NCAAs despite almost 20 years of evidence to the contrary.
If I had to guess Iowa would have won that year, but if we did one of those computer simulations for 10,000 matches I'm thinking PSU would win 2/10-4/10 based on their over performances over the years. Now that's typical PSU and Iowa under performing is even more typical.

2020 PSU:
Champs at 141 (NLee), 165 (Cenzo), 174 (Hall) and 184 (Brooks). High finishes from RBY and Shakur (who had just beaten Warner at Big Tens and was rounding into wrestling shape after the long injury layoff). 103-109 before bonus.

2020 Iowa:
Marinelli was slated to see Wick (big-time Krypotonite for Marinelli over his career) in the quarters. Warner was going to see Rasheed in 2nd round (Rasheed had just beaten him at Big Tens). Young had just gone 0-2 at Big Tens and had lost his last 3 matches. Lugo was a one-seed with 8th place being his best ever NCAA tournament performance.

Additionally
The past three seasons (2022, 2023 and 2024), the point differential between Penn State and Iowa moved in favor of Penn State by 45.5 points, 42.5 points and 45.5 points, respectively, between Big Tens and NCAAs. That’s not quite enough to overcome the 50.5 points PSU finished behind Iowa at B1Gs in 2020, but it’s close. And NCAAs wasn’t going to be watered down without the Ivies like it was in 2021; meaning four champs would carry more weight than it did in 2021.

Iowa taking 2020 was far from a certainty.

Last edited:
2020 PSU:
Champs at 141 (NLee), 165 (Cenzo), 174 (Hall) and 184 (Brooks). High finishes from RBY and Shakur (who had just beaten Warner at Big Tens and was rounding into wrestling shape after the long injury layoff). 103-109 before bonus.

2020 Iowa:
Marinelli was slated to see Wick (big-time Krypotonite for Marinelli over his career) in the quarters. Warner was going to see Rasheed in 2nd round (Rasheed had just beaten him at Big Tens). Young had just gone 0-2 at Big Tens and had lost his last 3 matches. Lugo was a one-seed with 8th place being his best ever NCAA tournament performance.

Additionally
The past three seasons (2022, 2023 and 2024), the point differential between Penn State and Iowa moved in favor of Penn State by 45.5 points, 42.5 points and 45.5 points, respectively, between Big Tens and NCAAs. That’s not quite enough to overcome the 50.5 points PSU finished behind Iowa at B1Gs in 2020, but it’s close. And NCAAs wasn’t going to be watered down without the Ivies like it was in 2021; meaning four champs would carry more weight than it did in 2021.

It wasn't far. Iowa was a heavy favorite. Doesn't matter now.

2020 PSU:

2020 Iowa:

Additionally

Exactly, I think Iowa would be a big favorite but again it was the perception that psu was over performing while Iowa had under performed over those years. Now I think it’s safe to say psu was not over performing , they were just better.

Because PSU actually has had a tournament similar to the one @nitlion6 is projecting. So while it's quite a homer prediction, at least there is some statistical and anecdotal evidence backing that PSU can pull something off like that. There have been quite a few (or many) moments in Cael era where it seems borderline stupid he can just keep getting what he needs to get it done at the big show. While 2020 would not have been like that (in my opinion at least), you're on a PSU board and you want to call out of fans for saying that?

2017 we scored 130 at Big Tens then 146.5. So he's not making it up out of thin air, we have scored drastically more at NCAAs than Big Tens. Bigger field, no byes, overall very favorable to a PSU 5 hammer team. Applying a similar proportion, PSU gets 120 off their 107 B1G points. We had a way better NCAA team that year. The reason we finished 4th at Big Tens is Nebraska and Ohio State had a bunch of scorers that wouldn't sniff AA, particularly Nebraska. We on the other hand got 1 from 125, 149, 157, 285 combined at Big Tens. Shak was looking better but he got nicked up against Warner but he obviously beat Warner also and also was right there with Schultz (the 3 and 4 seed)

You previously cited you were sure Marinelli and Kemerer were going to win that year, there's no anecdotal evidence whatsoever besides your own homer belief that Iowa at 165/174 outperforms PSU at those weights at NCAAs, especially Marinelli, who has made the semis once, including 0 times as a 1, 1, 3 seed. If anything, I think it's quite likely Marinelli gets knocked off in the quarters again by Evan Wick and Kemerer loses to Kutler (you guys do have a Lehigh issue sometimes!) If you're allowed to say Kemerer/Marinelli beats their PSU counterparts then PSU fans predicting a mass overperformance to win in 2020 isn't any more outlandish tbh.

Nobody is projecting, I think PSU fans were looking forward to NCAAs actually because we had hell of a squad for it and some great individual performances for us was going to happen.
I posted a long time ago (some things are out of context but general gist of my analysis): No PSU fan should have said we'd have won 2020 and should concede Iowa was overwhelming favorites. However, the tournament didn't happen and extracting Big Ten place to NCAAs was just flawed. Then again Iowa fans NCAA tournament projections are never logical so what else can you expect.

Also, Iowa got made whole eligibility wise. They lost Lugo's year but Eierman got another year for 2022. That's a net wash. PSU lost Cenzo/Hall forever. What would 2021 have looked like if hypothetically we had Cenzo and Mark available to slot somewhere (hint we'd win cause we lost by 15.5 with 0 points at 165) All in all, everything happens for a reason and I'm glad Aaron/Carter had opportunities to go weights that allowed them to eventually win 4 but a lineup of Cenzo/Starocci/Mark/AB from 165 to 197 that year ... sheesh.

I posted a long time ago (some things are out of context but general gist of my analysis): No PSU fan should have said we'd have won 2020 and should concede Iowa was overwhelming favorites. However, the tournament didn't happen and extracting Big Ten place to NCAAs was just flawed. Then again Iowa fans NCAA tournament projections are never logical so what else can you expect.

Also, Iowa got made whole eligibility wise. They lost Lugo's year but Eierman got another year for 2022. That's a net wash. PSU lost Cenzo/Hall forever. What would 2021 have looked like if hypothetically we had Cenzo and Mark available to slot somewhere (hint we'd win cause we lost by 15.5 with 0 points at 165) All in all, everything happens for a reason and I'm glad Aaron/Carter had opportunities to go weights that allowed them to eventually win 4 but a lineup of Cenzo/Starocci/Mark/AB from 165 to 197 that year ... sheesh.
Iowa was absolutely the overwhelming favorite.

Iowa was absolutely the overwhelming favorite.
As they were in 2021, which they won with a single champ in a watered down field. I believe they were the prohibitive favorite in 2011, as well as the co-favorite in 2015. Since Cael showed up at PSU and elevated the PSU wrestling level to elite, being the favorite has not meant much for Iowa.

How would this board have reacted if instead of 172.5, we only had Kerkvliet win this year, AB and CStar both lost in the semis and Iowa had 4 individual champions somehow as we only won by 10 and ESPN declared Iowa was back on national TV.

That's a cumulation of Iowa's feelings in 2021 basically. I see why they want to go back to 2020 and give themselves a flawless tournament.

I posted a long time ago (some things are out of context but general gist of my analysis): No PSU fan should have said we'd have won 2020 and should concede Iowa was overwhelming favorites. However, the tournament didn't happen and extracting Big Ten place to NCAAs was just flawed.

This post isn't necessarily about who would have won in 2020(Iowa, duh). However, the rehashed argument reminded me that a lot of people don't recognize the very, very strong correlation in regards to B1Gs and NCAA team placement for both Cael and Tom.

Some quick hitter info(% excludes 2020):

Tom and Cael's teams typically place at NCAAs within 1 spot of B1Gs finish. 82% for Tom and 93% for Cael.

Cael teams rarely finish outside top 2 at B1Gs(14%). When they do, however, they place lower at NCAAs(100%).

When Tom's teams win B1Gs, they typically win NCAAs(80%).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT