ADVERTISEMENT

AS THE BIRD TURNS (IOWA STUFF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would be a bigger dumpster fire over there?
- Spencer wins gold and Bassett chooses PSU.
- RBY wins gold and Bassett chooses PSU.
- Micic wins gold and Bassett chooses Not Iowa.
- Spencer wins gold, Bassett chooses OKST, and @johnstownsteel points out "Gilman effect" > "Spencer Lee effect."
Door #4

Automatically makes them realize they have dropped another notch on the recruiting totem pole, and Gilman is going to take away their "best lightweight room in the country" moniker.

- Spencer wins gold, Bassett chooses OKST, and @johnstownsteel points out "Gilman effect" > "Spencer Lee effect."
How exactly do we use the term lightweight? Because if we're talking about the lowest five weights, I'm pretty sure Penn State doing a lot better over the last 10 to 15 years than Iowa.

Then we have Nick Lee, RBY, Megaloudis and the rest of the lads.

How exactly do we use the term lightweight? Because if we're talking about the lowest five weights, I'm pretty sure Penn State doing a lot better over the last 10 to 15 years than Iowa.

Iowa fans define "lightweight" as is most convenient for them.

PSU fans define "lightweight" as the mental capacity of GIA.

RBY dominating SL would do just fine. Bassett announcing his PSU commitment with a mention of the opportunity to roll with RBY would just add to the enjoyment.

In every sport, I've found that when you get elite, it doesn't matter if they know what you are doing. There have been coaches who have used the statement "If we are executing, we will tell the opposition exactly what we are going to do, and they aren't going to stop it."

I think teams know Steph Curry likes to shoot threes, Michael Jordan likes to drive/shot, Mike Tyson has a dangerous hook and uppercut, Patrick Mahomes likes to throw to Travis Kelce in clutch moments, etc.
I was reminded of a 4th quarter in PSU vs Alabama at beaver stadium in my youth. Joe’s boys were winning with maybe 8min left. Was it DJ Dozier, or Blair Thomas that got the rock for an inside run for 4 or 5 yards like 15 times in a row? It was then that I finally understood the Paterno Platonic Ideal of football. A lasting impression to be sure.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

The term best light weight room obviously doesn't apply to Iowa. If they need a subset to help with their self-esteem they could call themselves a decently successful 125 pound room.

I was reminded of a 4th quarter in PSU vs Alabama at beaver stadium in my youth. Joe’s boys were winning with maybe 8min left. Was it DJ Dozier, or Blair Thomas that got the rock for an inside run for 4 or 5 yards like 15 times in a row? It was then that I finally understood the Paterno Platonic Ideal of football. A lasting impression to be sure.
Blair Thomas , of you recall psu opted for a chip shot field goal that was blocked and psu lost.

He kept his footing we win. Joe runs him again we win. We lost.

The term best light weight room obviously doesn't apply to Iowa. If they need a subset to help with their self-esteem they could call themselves a decently successful 125 pound room.
it cracks me up how iowa has the best 125 lbs thats more important to them than winning a team title!

it cracks me up how iowa has the best 125 lbs thats more important to them than winning a team title!
It is their only hook to hang a hat on. Of course even with that moniker they must bear the burden of knowing if Spencer had chosen to wear blue with a white belt Mrs. Lee would not have had to buy a new pair of glasses and Spencer would have had 4 championships.

Last edited:
I remember PSU vs Bama in 78. It doesn’t always work.

Reactions: Pitteefool
I remember PSU vs Bama in 78. It doesn’t always work.
There's quite big difference between the two games.

1979 Sugar bowl

1989 game at PSU, go to see the last drive;

PSU was stuffed three plays at the goal line in 1979, Fitzkee's reception, then two attempted runs. In 1989 Bama did not stop Thomas on any run in that final drive.

If Nelson is troling, he trolled the wrong people. All this did was cause a stir with the Iowa fans.

Similarly to Angelo pulling the PSU hat at his commitment when he didn't even have PSU on his final list and thus no PSU fans were watching. One again, just causing panic among Iowa fans.

They seem to think they're getting Jacori Teemer. How does that happen when he's not in the portal?

They seem to think they're getting Jacori Teemer. How does that happen when he's not in the portal?
Wondering the same thing. One of their insiders is claiming there’s a second portal window for grad transfers opening on 8/1 but everything I read on the NCAA website says there’s only 1 portal window for winter sports and the Grad Transfer window is open until 5/1 opposed to 4/30 for under grad transfers.

Wondering the same thing. One of their insiders is claiming there’s a second portal window for grad transfers opening on 8/1 but everything I read on the NCAA website says there’s only 1 portal window for winter sports and the Grad Transfer window is open until 5/1 opposed to 4/30 for under grad transfers.
I believe that is correct (although one extra day for graduate transfer is just odd and makes no sense) I wouldn't be shocked if some kids aren't aware of that new rule.

There are ways around it that can be handled behind the scenes I'm sure. Suriano managed a summer transfer before the portal was a thing and managed to be immediately eligibile while dodging the mandatory "1 year sit, 1 year lose eligibility" B1G rule then. I'm sure Bob can take care of Teemer's legal fees if he has to fight it.

I believe that is correct (although one extra day for graduate transfer is just odd and makes no sense) I wouldn't be shocked if some kids aren't aware of that new rule.

There are ways around it that can be handled behind the scenes I'm sure. Suriano managed a summer transfer before the portal was a thing and managed to be immediately eligibile while dodging the mandatory "1 year sit, 1 year lose eligibility" B1G rule then. I'm sure Bob can take care of Teemer's legal fees if he has to fight it.
Nothing surprises me anymore in regard to the NCAA following their bylaws but if they did approve a post portal window transfer I would assume that would set a new precedent and render all their new legislation useless.

Reactions: jack66
“Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports' final transfer windows”
I feel like the first part of the rule contradicts the second part, but that’s the only way it makes sense to me for Teemer being able to portal that he enters as a grad student at the start of the academic year.

Last edited:
Just for fun, I looked into where Iowa would sit with Willie's CB with Jacori Teemer. I saw Willie had Michael Caliendo at 2nd at 157 and Patrick Kennedy at 3rd at 165 already, so Teemer would be a wash (Teemer is 2nd to Kennedy's 3rd) but let's boost them up to 2nd at 157/165. Then let's supercharge Kueter's full time wrestling and give him 3rd (from R12) They're at 117. This is assuming the following places:

Ayala 2
Parco 4
Caliendo 2
Teemer 2
Arnold 4
Nelson (184) 4
Glazier 7
Kueter 3

Yeah color me skeptical Iowa has a tournament like that in March with 4 6th/7th year guys. Especially when it seems nobody on that team prefers to go 157 (one of Teemer or Caliendo will have to) or 184 (one of Nelson/Gabe will have to) it seems.

“Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports' final transfer windows”
I feel like the first part of the rule contradicts the second part, but that’s the only way it makes sense to me for Teemer being able to portal that he enters as a grad student at the start of the academic year.
The way that reads to me is if they’re planning to enroll in grad school they’re allowed to enter the portal before the portal is open but not after it closes.

The way that reads to me is if they’re planning to enroll in grad school they’re allowed to enter the portal before the portal is open but not after it closes.
That’s how it reads to me as well, but I don’t see how else Teemer could portal unless there is a coaching change

That’s how it reads to me as well, but I don’t see how else Teemer could portal unless there is a coaching change
Like I said, I suspect the portal is just a formality at this point. He might have another hoop to jump through for missing the deadline but I imagine if he wants to go to Iowa, he will make it happen.

He could also just get released by Zeke Jones, can't imagine he'll be happy but nothing good happens trying to delay the inevitable. Every Oklahoma State kid leaving DT right now technically is past portal deadline (the clock starts when John Smith retired, not when DT got hired since they can always just leave the portal if they like the hire) and DT is freely releasing them as they want to bail.

Just for fun, I looked into where Iowa would sit with Willie's CB with Jacori Teemer. I saw Willie had Michael Caliendo at 2nd at 157 and Patrick Kennedy at 3rd at 165 already, so Teemer would be a wash (Teemer is 2nd to Kennedy's 3rd) but let's boost them up to 2nd at 157/165. Then let's supercharge Kueter's full time wrestling and give him 3rd (from R12) They're at 117. This is assuming the following places:

Ayala 2
Parco 4
Caliendo 2
Teemer 2
Arnold 4
Nelson (184) 4
Glazier 7
Kueter 3

Yeah color me skeptical Iowa has a tournament like that in March with 4 6th/7th year guys. Especially when it seems nobody on that team prefers to go 157 (one of Teemer or Caliendo will have to) or 184 (one of Nelson/Gabe will have to) it seems.
It is optimistic placing for Arnold, Kueter, and Glazier, but I don’t think it’s out of question. Arnold best win was over 6th place finisher Wolak, he’s a very defensive wrestler so he could get caught late at any point in the tourney. Glazier fell apart at the seams at NCAAs, I don’t expect many points from him, and Kueter I expect to AA but 3rd over one of Bastida/Wyatt I would not predict, I expect him to be around Feldman level.

It is optimistic placing for Arnold, Kueter, and Glazier, but I don’t think it’s out of question. Arnold best win was over 6th place finisher Wolak, he’s a very defensive wrestler so he could get caught late at any point in the tourney. Glazier fell apart at the seams at NCAAs, I don’t expect many points from him, and Kueter I expect to AA but 3rd over one of Bastida/Wyatt I would not predict, I expect him to be around Feldman level.
Kueter is my projection and I'm pretty bullish on him. None of the individual projections are crazy but it's them collectively happening together, especially with 4 6/7 year guys (Teemer, Parco, Glazier, Nelson) in the lineup. Historically, those guys don't do as well (not just at Iowa, anywhere honestly)

Reactions: Emcee15057
If Nelson is troling, he trolled the wrong people. All this did was cause a stir with the Iowa fans.

Similarly to Angelo pulling the PSU hat at his commitment when he didn't even have PSU on his final list and thus no PSU fans were watching. One again, just causing panic among Iowa fans.
Who is panicking?

It's a good problem to have.

Kueter is my projection and I'm pretty bullish on him. None of the individual projections are crazy but it's them collectively happening together, especially with 4 6/7 year guys (Teemer, Parco, Glazier, Nelson) in the lineup. Historically, those guys don't do as well (not just at Iowa, anywhere honestly)
I see your point and hopefully Iowa keeps them on a pitch count till B1Gs and NCAAs they need to go into the tourney 100%.

Maybe his freestyle success will translate, but the last time I saw Kueter wrestle Folk, he spent about 4 minutes on his belly.

Of course, Kerk isn't just another wrestler, but he's the only top-20 heavy Ben has wrestled. The guys he wrestled at U20s have yet to earn their spurs at the college level, including Mullin, who was 0-4 against wrestlers ranked 11-19 last year.

I see him finishing 6-R12 until he proves otherwise.

BTW: GIA doesn't want to hear this, but Brands > Kennedy > Arnold

Last edited:
Maybe his freestyle success will translate, but the last time I saw Kueter wrestle Folk, he spent about 4 minutes on his belly.

Of course, Kerk isn't just another wrestler, but he's the only top-20 heavy Ben has wrestled. The guys he wrestled at U20s have yet to earn their spurs at the college level, including Mullin, who was 0-4 against wrestlers ranked 11-19 last year.

I see him finishing 6-R12 until he proves otherwise.
He did ok for an undersized true Freshman at Heavyweight. Something tells me he is going to get bigger and better.

Ben beat #11 ranked Doucet 5-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT