ADVERTISEMENT

Barron to the state legislature on the budget

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Barron pointed out that three of the past four Pennsylvania budgets have included important increases to Penn State’s funding, which has enabled the University to keep in-state undergraduate tuition rates flat — across the board — in two of the three years that state support increased. Penn State also has not raised tuition at eight Commonwealth Campuses — Beaver, DuBois, Fayette, Greater Allegheny, Mont Alto, New Kensington, Shenango and Wilkes-Barre — for the past four years.

Penn State ranks No. 5 among all state flagship universities for the smallest overall increase in in-state tuition over the last 10 years, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education 2018 Almanac, and tuition increases across Penn State’s campuses have been below national averages for more than a decade.

“Access and affordability is our top priority, and I can’t overstate the importance of the appropriation for achieving that end,” Barron said. “It has enabled countless students to pursue their dreams with less debt and more time to engage in meaningful and productive activities like internships, leadership opportunities, and service work.”

In addition to containing tuition costs, Penn State has focused on other factors that contribute to the total cost of a degree, such as decreasing the rate of student borrowing, reducing attrition due to financial challenges, and providing resources to help students graduate on time. These efforts have had a significant impact on student borrowing in particular, Barron said, with average student debt down approximately $2,400 per undergraduate student at the Commonwealth Campuses and $500 per undergraduate at University Park, between 2015-16 and 2017-18.

Among the programs underway to help keep a Penn State education accessible and affordable are the Pathway to Success: Summer Startprogram, which provides students with a scholarship to take summer classes while earning additional money through on-campus employment; the Student Transitional Experiences Program, which offers financial, mentoring and networking support for students transitioning to University Park from a Commonwealth Campus; the Sokolov-Miller Family Financial and Life Skills Center, which provides no-cost financial counseling and financial literacy programming; the Raise.me micro-scholarship program, a partnership with 24 urban and rural high schools in Pennsylvania where students interested in attending Penn State can earn up to $16,000 in scholarship support over four years; and Complete Penn State, which is designed to help students with high GPAs and credit counts overcome struggles so they can complete their degrees.

Barron pledged Penn State’s continued good stewardship of the state’s dollars, and said the University would continue to identify cost savings in the University’s operating budget for the coming fiscal year. Penn State has enacted $440.3 million in cuts to recurring costs since 1992, including $36.5 million in the 2018-19 budget alone. These measures have helped the University to meet rising expenses, while keeping tuition increases low or flat for students.

Comments?

Barron pointed out that three of the past four Pennsylvania budgets have included important increases to Penn State’s funding, which has enabled the University to keep in-state undergraduate tuition rates flat — across the board — in two of the three years that state support increased. Penn State also has not raised tuition at eight Commonwealth Campuses — Beaver, DuBois, Fayette, Greater Allegheny, Mont Alto, New Kensington, Shenango and Wilkes-Barre — for the past four years.

Penn State ranks No. 5 among all state flagship universities for the smallest overall increase in in-state tuition over the last 10 years, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education 2018 Almanac, and tuition increases across Penn State’s campuses have been below national averages for more than a decade.

“Access and affordability is our top priority, and I can’t overstate the importance of the appropriation for achieving that end,” Barron said. “It has enabled countless students to pursue their dreams with less debt and more time to engage in meaningful and productive activities like internships, leadership opportunities, and service work.”

In addition to containing tuition costs, Penn State has focused on other factors that contribute to the total cost of a degree, such as decreasing the rate of student borrowing, reducing attrition due to financial challenges, and providing resources to help students graduate on time. These efforts have had a significant impact on student borrowing in particular, Barron said, with average student debt down approximately $2,400 per undergraduate student at the Commonwealth Campuses and $500 per undergraduate at University Park, between 2015-16 and 2017-18.

Among the programs underway to help keep a Penn State education accessible and affordable are the Pathway to Success: Summer Startprogram, which provides students with a scholarship to take summer classes while earning additional money through on-campus employment; the Student Transitional Experiences Program, which offers financial, mentoring and networking support for students transitioning to University Park from a Commonwealth Campus; the Sokolov-Miller Family Financial and Life Skills Center, which provides no-cost financial counseling and financial literacy programming; the Raise.me micro-scholarship program, a partnership with 24 urban and rural high schools in Pennsylvania where students interested in attending Penn State can earn up to $16,000 in scholarship support over four years; and Complete Penn State, which is designed to help students with high GPAs and credit counts overcome struggles so they can complete their degrees.

Barron pledged Penn State’s continued good stewardship of the state’s dollars, and said the University would continue to identify cost savings in the University’s operating budget for the coming fiscal year. Penn State has enacted $440.3 million in cuts to recurring costs since 1992, including $36.5 million in the 2018-19 budget alone. These measures have helped the University to meet rising expenses, while keeping tuition increases low or flat for students.

Comments?

So basically he's doing little to nothing to control costs.

My 2 cents: His comments were all about affordability. Great. However, I don't hear much about a vision for maintaining high quality education, the resources needed and what it takes to do that assuming the goal is to attract high quality students and be the university of choice. This includes cost control, as one person noted, which may require tough decisions.

Last edited:
I was looking for Barron's explanation of how PSU is making tuition for PA residents more affordable by admitting larger percentages of out of state (and less academically qualified, but that's another matter) students. Must've missed that.

As I've said before, my state rep looked at the 40% out of state students in the last incoming class and said that with so many out of state students coming on board, there's no reason to give the school more money just to support those out of state kids.

It's twisted logic, but these guys will use anything they can to justify their decisions.

He cut administrative bloat at FSU (you can look it up) but has done nothing on that front at PSU

Look at the guy. At Penn State, Barron IS the administrative bloat.

But seriously, at some point the university will need to make honest attempts at cutting costs. Closing and merging campuses will have to be in the conversation. I understand the history and purpose of the branches but population shifts have had a huge impact in their viability. I know closing a few campuses isn't by itself the only option but it's an example of tough decisions which will need to be considered.

Maybe campuses will be closed if Dambly can somehow personally profit from it.

Look at the guy. At Penn State, Barron IS the administrative bloat.

But seriously, at some point the university will need to make honest attempts at cutting costs. Closing and merging campuses will have to be in the conversation. I understand the history and purpose of the branches but population shifts have had a huge impact in their viability. I know closing a few campuses isn't by itself the only option but it's an example of tough decisions which will need to be considered.

Maybe campuses will be closed if Dambly can somehow personally profit from it.

Exactly... So many are now doing everything online now taking courses that the closing and merging of campuses will have to be on the table and at least discussed.

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95

Comments?
Since it is reasonable to conclude that the PSU governance and administrative cabal value our Big Ten membership over basic human decency, I would simply ask Dr. Barron why there is such disparity between us and our Big Ten brethren as illustrated by @stormingnorm.
b10-financials-2018-1.jpg

https://barryfenchak4trustee.wordpr...ease-tuition-by-6-and-claim-a-tuition-freeze/

The greatest asset of the Propagandist, is the Ignorance of the Masses.

And how can one forget about this doozy:

https://news.psu.edu/story/527911/2...rd-setting-3629-million-during-2017-18-fiscal

"Penn State raises a record-setting $362.9 million during 2017-18 fiscal year"

Or... $99 Million.
But if you're gonna' go Goebbels - you might as well do it big!

Sometimes I don't think you appreciate the genius of universities paying higher ups to donate back to the university. Its wins all the way around: expense for the university to drive up costs so they can claim poverty and ask for more money; a way to use up money on things other than educating students; claim they are receiving new donations; and get to show how much their administrators care about the school. All for the low, low cost of additional payments to the pension funds so that the higher ups can draw higher pensions later on. How can you not admire that?

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Since it is reasonable to conclude that the PSU governance and administrative cabal value our Big Ten membership over basic human decency, I would simply ask Dr. Barron why there is such disparity between us and our Big Ten brethren as illustrated by @stormingnorm.
Yeah.... PSU doesn't look so great on this chart.

As much as I don't like Michigan as competition in collegiate athletics, they really do it right in a lot of important ways. Using that chart, they're killing it. Only place on there where they could clearly do better is in merit-based grants, but that's smaller potatoes considering what a bargain that place is for the quality of education. And OOS tuition? Can't charge it if folks won't pay it.

It's regrettable how much more competitive we USED to be.

It's sad how much better psu could be if its priorities were actually educating students.

Reactions: Ski
My wife and I are both PSU alums ('88 and '89) and have very fond memories of our time at University Park (we didn't meet until after we both graduated, but that's a whole other story). Anyway...

...when my youngest son - who is a HUGE PSU fan with a great ACT score and fantastic grades - was looking at colleges, Penn State wasn't even in the running since several other schools offered him great academic scholarships. We're out of state, but he's exactly the kind of kid PSU should want.

He ended up getting a free ride to the University of Alabama (Roll Tide!) and will graduate with a double major in Geography and American Studies with ZERO DEBT. Oh, and BTW, UA is NOT just about football: viewbook.ua.edu/quick-facts/

Full Disclosure - I am NOT a Saban or Bama fan, but have no problem saying Roll Tide! since UA is doing us right.

My wife and I are both PSU alums ('88 and '89) and have very fond memories of our time at University Park (we didn't meet until after we both graduated, but that's a whole other story). Anyway...

...when my youngest son - who is a HUGE PSU fan with a great ACT score and fantastic grades - was looking at colleges, Penn State wasn't even in the running since several other schools offered him great academic scholarships. We're out of state, but he's exactly the kind of kid PSU should want.

He ended up getting a free ride to the University of Alabama (Roll Tide!) and will graduate with a double major in Geography and American Studies with ZERO DEBT. Oh, and BTW, UA is NOT just about football: viewbook.ua.edu/quick-facts/

Full Disclosure - I am NOT a Saban or Bama fan, but have no problem saying Roll Tide! since UA is doing us right.

Great that there will be no debt, but people (you and others) are funding his education in a degree field for which I scratch my head. What will he do with a degree in Geography and American Studies? What is the job for which this is the needed qualification, and what is the demand for that job?

I can see this area as a small piece in gaining a broad understanding of our world, but as a major that implies a connected job. Teaching in high school or college? I would think that, if high school, a major in education would be required. If college, then an advanced degree. Again, what is the supply/demand?

Pretty simple supply and demand/demographics answer- Alabama doesnt have the 'recruiting base' locally to increase their academic standing. So they recruit students from stronger academic areas and offer them scholarships.

If PSU has 10s of thousands of kids with great grades willing to pay the rack rate, why would they give your son a free ride?

Comments?
There are a lot of state schools ranked higher than penn state with significantly lower tuition. Our politicians should dig a little deeper to find out why. More money is not always the right answer, especially when the quality of education (according to ranking services) is declining.

https://barryfenchak4trustee.wordpr...ease-tuition-by-6-and-claim-a-tuition-freeze/

The greatest asset of the Propagandist, is the Ignorance of the Masses.

And how can one forget about this doozy:

https://news.psu.edu/story/527911/2...rd-setting-3629-million-during-2017-18-fiscal

"Penn State raises a record-setting $362.9 million during 2017-18 fiscal year"

Or... $99 Million.
But if you're gonna' go Goebbels - you might as well do it big!
excellant reading Stormin, thanks

Reactions: stormingnorm
Yeah.... PSU doesn't look so great on this chart.

As much as I don't like Michigan as competition in collegiate athletics, they really do it right in a lot of important ways. Using that chart, they're killing it. Only place on there where they could clearly do better is in merit-based grants, but that's smaller potatoes considering what a bargain that place is for the quality of education. And OOS tuition? Can't charge it if folks won't pay it.

It's regrettable how much more competitive we USED to be.

Check the tuition rates at Pac 12 schools - all have lower in-state tuition than Penn State (noting they have two private members). Berkeley is the highest at around $14,000.00.

PSU remains extremely costly compared to peers. Univ of Md is 30% cheaper. Have baron explain that. Mitch Daniels should be hired from Purdue, he has done good job controlling costs unlike psi mgmt.

th

FWIW (Though I would not argue that Alabama is a top-tier Academic University. That is a completely different issue.):

UA: In-State Tuition: $10,780

Need-Based Aid: received by 9,238 aid recipients, average amount $12,730
Merit-Based Aid: 7,532 undergraduates had no financial need and received merit aid, average amount $15,945

PSU: In-State Tuition $18,426

Need-Based Aid: received by 7,301 aid recipients, average amount $6,629
Merit-Based Aid: 3,562 undergraduates had no financial need and received merit aid, average amount $5,195

UAlabama gets less than 1/2 as much State Appropriation money as does Penn State (Approx $155 Million).

You can access the UA Budget here:

https://finance-estus.fa.ua.edu/FinancialAccounting/FAPPub/UA Financial Reports/ua-financial-report-17-18.pdf

UA also allocates over 75% of their endowment income to Scholarship/Fellowships/and Instruction (In case you were wondering, Penn State does not :) )

Exactly

Alabama spent more money (total and per student) to recruit a better caliber student and still had a lower rated incoming class than Penn State. Alabama needs to spend this money because of the quality of Alabama's and their neighboring states high schools

I have actively discouraged my granddaughter from including PSU on her short list of colleges. I had once hoped for a three generation Penn State family, but no more.

Reactions: nits74 and 91Joe95
Check the tuition rates at Pac 12 schools - all have lower in-state tuition than Penn State (noting they have two private members). Berkeley is the highest at around $14,000.00.
California has State taxes which are ridiculous. They do have some colleges which are excellent academically. I suspect that taxes in Arizona are much lower and I don’t know about Washington or Oregon, but it’s important to look at the whole picture. Californians may have low tuition but are paying in other ways. I don’t know what the level of State subsidy of public universities is, but it’s a very liberal State.

Pa has a flat rate of 3.07% and excludes distributions from retirement plans from taxable income.

These are the States with graduated rates:
  • Alabama: 2 to 5 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $3,000.
  • Arizona: 2.59 to 4.54 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $152,668.
  • Arkansas: .9 to 6.9 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $35,100.
  • California:1 to 13.3 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $1,000,000.
  • Connecticut: 3 to 6.99 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $500,000.
  • Delaware: 2.2 to 6.6 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $60,000.
  • Georgia: 1 to 6 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $7,000.
Hawaii: 1.4 to 8.25 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $48,000.
  • Idaho: 1.6 to 7.4 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $10,905.
  • Iowa: .36 to 8.98 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $70,785.
  • Kansas: 2.9 to 5.2 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $30,000
  • Kentucky: 2 to 6 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $75,000.
  • Louisiana: 2 to 6 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $50,000.
  • Maine:5.8 to 7.15 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $50,000.

• Maryland:2 to 5.75 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $250,000.
  • Minnesota: 5.35 to 9.85 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $156,911.
  • Mississippi: 3 to 5 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $10,000.
  • Missouri: 1.5 to 6 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $9,072.
  • Montana: 1 to 6.9 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $17,600.
  • Nebraska: 2.46 to 6.84 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $29,830.
  • New Jersey:1.4 to 8.97 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $500,000.

• New Mexico: 1.7 to 4.9 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $16,000.
  • New York: 4 to 8.82 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $1,077,550.
  • North Dakota: 1.1 to 2.9 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $416,700.
  • Ohio: .5 to 5 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $210,600.
  • Oklahoma: .5 to 5 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $7,200.
  • Oregon:5 to 9.9 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $125,000.
  • Rhode Island: 3.75 to 5.99 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $139,400.

• South Carolina: 0 to 7 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $14,650.
  • Vermont: 3.55 to 8.95 percent. The highest rate applies to incomes over $416,700.
State real estate taxes and sales taxes are another matter. There are lots of variables obviously to these sorts of analysis.

Last edited:
Great that there will be no debt, but people (you and others) are funding his education in a degree field for which I scratch my head. What will he do with a degree in Geography and American Studies? What is the job for which this is the needed qualification, and what is the demand for that job?

I can see this area as a small piece in gaining a broad understanding of our world, but as a major that implies a connected job. Teaching in high school or college? I would think that, if high school, a major in education would be required. If college, then an advanced degree. Again, what is the supply/demand?

The lack of understanding of the value of the arts & sciences never ceases to amaze.

That's nice. We could have low tuition too. The California state income tax on a $40K salary is 8%. The tax rate goes up from there as income increases.

Low tuition just means that somebody else pays for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitwit
The lack of understanding of the value of the arts & sciences never ceases to amaze.
The reason a lot of us look down our noses at arts type degrees is we spent 4 years at Penn State and observed that about 90% of the people with these majors spent 95% of their time partying and viewed college as 4 years of pain free fun. Most people don't major in arts degrees to become the next Rembrant. They major in these degrees to become the next Bluto in Animal House.

Exactly

Alabama spent more money (total and per student) to recruit a better caliber student and still had a lower rated incoming class than Penn State. Alabama needs to spend this money because of the quality of Alabama's and their neighboring states high schools

Or maybe education is actually their mission.

Reactions: stormingnorm
You shoulda' just stopped there.... :)

Analysis? In a thread about Higher Education Funding/Costs?

How deep do you dig - to reach "absolute irrelevance"?

The only thing that would be relevant wrt State Income tax rates (which, of course, are just one of many sources of revenues for various states) would be how much of that tax $$$$$ the State allocates out to the various Universities.

Sweet Jeebzus on a stick.
Easy Norm. My point was you don’t want to move to California to save a few thousand on in state tuition, because the State taxes will eat you up, irrespective of what level of subsidy they provide. For that matter you don’t want to move to NJ either.

In fact this may have had a big impact on the Phillies signing Harper over the Giants or Dodgers, but that is way off topic admittedly.

Or maybe education is actually their mission.

Is spending money on recruiting better high schools students 'education'? I can think of better ways to spend that money that has a direct impact on the students enrolled, but I guess Bama decided the best way to help all the students is to raise the academic profile through recruiting.

Don’t even need to look to know the relative values are incomparable. Hard to beat the California state schools, especially the UCs.

Penn State USED to be a good deal. Penn State dollar for dollar isn’t even close anymore.

Is spending money on recruiting better high schools students 'education'? I can think of better ways to spend that money that has a direct impact on the students enrolled, but I guess Bama decided the best way to help all the students is to raise the academic profile through recruiting.

Financial assistance and keeping costs low is "recruiting?" I have no words for something so bizarre.

Don’t even need to look to know the relative values are incomparable. Hard to beat the California state schools, especially the UCs.

Penn State USED to be a good deal. Penn State dollar for dollar isn’t even close anymore.
In fact, at this point, Penn State is actually a pretty bad deal. An out-of-state student would have to be brain-dead to come to Penn State. And, I guess that is the problem.

Financial assistance and keeping costs low is "recruiting?" I have no words for something so bizarre.

Really not that bizarre if you use your brain

Merit based scholarships = recruiting
Need based scholarships = financial assistance

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html

'Alabama’s success in drawing students from hundreds of miles away is one reflection of the pressure many colleges and universities face as the number of high school graduates declines and state support for public higher education shrinks throughout the country, experts say.'

"Competition from schools outside of the state with generous scholarship awards appears to be the most significant factor in the decision not to enroll at Illinois," a university statement said last year.

Enter the University of Alabama. It awarded 203 full-tuition scholarships, out of 305 total, to freshman Illinoisans in 2017, defraying more than $100,000 in costs per student. The university has nearly quintupled over the past decade the amount of institutional, non-need-based aid it awards.

In 2016, Alabama spent more than $136.3 million in merit scholarships, which are not based on a family’s financial need, according to university data. That is up from $28.5 million a decade ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT