ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest problem is Harrison...

Psubiomed

Jul 25, 2021
10 for 180 last year. Can't cover him 1 on 1 with anyone. Nobody can. How to limit him then? Play zone on half the possessions and mix it up? Bracket him? Double him occasionally? Rain will most certainly help and an improvement in pass rush can help but he will get his...I think the goal is to keep him to 100 to 120 yards and limit his third down catches...

Thoughts?

Reactions: scrivener
The best way to cover him is to get enough pressure on McCord that he doesn't have time to beat his man or find space in zone. He's going to get his catches and that's fine. The biggest key is we have to make tackles on him (and Egbuka if he plays) in space so they don't turn 8-12 yards gains into 30-40.

10 for 180 last year. Can't cover him 1 on 1 with anyone. Nobody can. How to limit him then? Play zone on half the possessions and mix it up? Bracket him? Double him occasionally? Rain will most certainly help and an improvement in pass rush can help but he will get his...I think the goal is to keep him to 100 to 120 yards and limit his third down catches...

Thoughts?
Absolutely agree. We match up well across the board with OSU. But Harrison can beat any secondary. Our passion rush could mitigate his impact somewhat.

Thoughts?
Can't wait for him to graduate! U hit it on the head - minimize his 3rd down catches. I think a hugely important area for Saturday is how we do on 3rd downs from both sides of the ball.

Reactions: psu1969a
3-32 against ND and 2-18 against Indiana. Harrison's stats against the two defenses they've played giving up the fewest passing yards per game. He can be slowed down.
Did you watch any of those 2 games? Any idea why his numbers were limited?
Let me know if you need help

Our pass rush will play a major factor in OSU’s success, and probably the same can be said for Allar and our o-line.

I believe Allar can pick these guys apart, he’s that good. If he has time in the pocket, we will win this game.

We Are!

Can't wait for him to graduate! U hit it on the head - minimize his 3rd down catches. I think a hugely important area for Saturday is how we do on 3rd downs from both sides of the ball.
The longer their third downs the better. Ideally a lot of 3rd and 7+. That way our pass rush can go to work and utilize our speed. This means our D line and linebackers need to be tough vs the run. If we are then I like our chances.

Reactions: scrivener

Thoughts?
The biggest factor for OSU on offense is how well McCord plays. BTW, from what I read I think there is a good chance Egbuka does not play (ankle). OSU has a couple of very good WR's beyond those 2. However they are only freshmen.

The biggest factor for OSU on offense is how well McCord plays. BTW, from what I read I think there is a good chance Egbuka does not play (ankle). OSU has a couple of very good WR's beyond those 2. However they are only freshmen.
If Egbuka is out that's huge factor in this game. Not putting down the other WRs but Egbuka might be the 3rd WR off the board in the 2024 draft.

But if he's left 3 of the last 7 games with injuries it's not great for him. He should try to not get injured.

But if he's left 3 of the last 7 games with injuries it's not great for him. He should try to not get injured.
Oh--so you thought I was going to simply say injury. That wouldn't explain the first half against ND for starters.

Our pass rush will play a major factor in OSU’s success, and probably the same can be said for Allar and our o-line.

I believe Allar can pick these guys apart, he’s that good. If he has time in the pocket, we will win this game.

We Are!
Who has he “picked apart” in his college career?

Thoughts?
The current secondary should have a FaceTime with Ray Isom and Duffy Cobbs. These guys can explain how to produce short armed receivers. Recall the 1987 Fiesta Bowl national championship game with Miami. Michael Irvin was supposedly the best receiver in the country. By the second half Irvin was a no show and wouldn't reach for passes. Isom and Cobbs can explain how to handle Harrison.

Reactions: NittanyChris
The current secondary should have a FaceTime with Ray Isom and Duffy Cobbs. These guys can explain how to produce short armed receivers. Recall the 1987 Fiesta Bowl national championship game with Miami. Michael Irvin was supposedly the best receiver in the country. By the second half Irvin was a no show and wouldn't reach for passes. Isom and Cobbs can explain how to handle Harrison.
Different era…those tactics are now illegal.

He was injured @ the time.
He was but there's a lot more to it as well. Couple things that stand out...
ND decided to bracket him to eliminate his ability to make big plays. It opened up other players to make plays--McCord struggled early trying to come off his first target but showed improvement as the game went on.
The Indiana game was literally McCord not being ready. He was overwhelmed by the situation. Indiana isn't good but it's tough to open on the road for your first start. We've seen McCord show steady improvement. He hasn't seen anything as good as our defense but Ohio State is fortunate that he had the ND game to test himself.

Last edited:
OSU fan here:

If we are talking WRs then Egbuka's availability might be as important. You can bracket Harrison and limit him, but that leaves someline else with easier match-ups; see Egbuka vs. ND. It is a big drop-off from him to who could fill that role.

If he is out, I could see Harrison play more slot with Flemming/Tate on the outside. First TD against Purdue last week is an example of this. When Harrison is on the outside look for Xavier Johnson to fill in the slot. Also look for Stover to be even more involved in the passing game, though they will probably have to keep him in to help block more than we would like.

OSU fan here:

If we are talking WRs then Egbuka's availability might be as important. You can bracket Harrison and limit him, but that leaves someline else with easier match-ups; see Egbuka vs. ND. It is a big drop-off from him to who could fill that role.

If he is out, I could see Harrison play more slot with Flemming/Tate on the outside. First TD against Purdue last week is an example of this. When Harrison is on the outside look for Xavier Johnson to fill in the slot. Also look for Stover to be even more involved in the passing game, though they will probably have to keep him in to help block more than we would like.
Right--that's the game within the game. How can Ohio State move Harrison around to create matchups that favor them. What can Penn State do to limit them. Egbuka's the key to all of this--if he's healthy it changes a lot

If I recall, he caught a lot of slants on long third downs last year while being well covered. Almost all of these were caught for first downs and too much yardage. Of course, he doesn't have the same QB this year and does not seem as explosive out of cuts (ankle?).

Against UMass (not quite the same talent) we stuck a safety inside the slant area on longer third downs and kept outside leverage to force the receiver to the inside where there was help. I recall our safeties really laying it to the receivers a few times and the interception by Ellis was on such a play. We also have been showing a lot of 7 man blitz look fronts where multiple guys drop into slant lanes in a disguised blitz .I prefer this more aggressive approach to slowing their receivers from getting easy slant catches for first downs. Much preferred to letting them catch it and trying to tackle before the sticks. The prevent has never seemed to work for us, at least not for me.

Of course, don't give them time to run slow developing vertical routes and half the battle is won.

Reactions: royboy
And PSU leads the Nation in Sacks (27 - 4.5 per game) and Pass Defense (121 YPG - 4.6 Yards Per Pass Attempt and Opponent Comp Pct, 49%). So there's that as well.
Exactly, you stop him by stopping the ball from getting to him effectively or at all. OSU’s OL is a bit weak for an OSU OL. Make McCord uncomfortable and make him rush his passes. OSU has allowed 10 sacks this year (we have allowed 4)

No they aren't. What is illegal is hitting to the head-&-shoulder area. PSU's secondary didn't do that contrary to your typical bullshit troll post.
Believe what you want, but many of the hits that PSU’s secondary delivered in that era are now illegal.

Troll? I am quite certain I have been a stronger supporter and know more about PSU football than 98% of this board.

Thoughts?
ND held him to 3 catches for 32 yds. What was their secret?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT